Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

No, there's some really uneven balance and some very poor explanations about how certain things work. For example, the Sorcerer spell progression is completely unexplained.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

DarkHorse posted:

For 4th the only book they really need is the Player's Handbook, and if you're willing to babysit them through the rules they only need to read character creation parts. That, or they can read the Rules Compendium if you have it (you should) and use a character builder.

Yeah, but really I don't want their first experience to be so complex, in character building or combat rules. I'm aiming for the D&D Basic experience - 15-minute chargen tops (maybe an hour around the table including shared character history, beer and bad jokes). Even the Compendium is extremely dense and complex why compared to, say, BECMI.

I've also grown very very tired of complex rules in general. My Rolemaster (yes, I actually played it) / 3.5e, five books, seven splats days are long gone. I want one book.

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012
In case y'all missed it, Rob posted a beta cover for 13 True Ways on his blog.

http://robheinsoo.blogspot.com/2013/05/five-13th-age-progressions.html

drat. Amazing art.

And also it sounds like the core book is going to be 320 pages. :)

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...
I think Wade answered this on the last page but I scrolled through and didn't see it: When will we know the status of the SUPER SPECIAL EDITIONS that we have right of first refusal?

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

Mors Rattus posted:

Question regarding Chromatic Destroyer heritage. It seems less useful than I first thought, looking at it. After all, the Sorcerer is often going to be spending turns gathering power, and because of the Escalation Die, fights don't last overly long. Between that and the fact that every Breath Weapon is a Daily spell, how often are you really going to have multiple Breath Weapons up anyway?

So I take it I'm the only one who ran into this issue, then? If so: what am I missing here?

Hmm. I haven't played in a group with a sorcerer who had Chromatic Destroyer heritage, so I can't tell you how it actually works out in play. However, I've been in battles that lasted long enough for a sorcerer to conceivably use two breath weapons; and shorter battles where the sorcerer could have opted to attack during a turn rather than gather power.

Overemotional Robot posted:

I think Wade answered this on the last page but I scrolled through and didn't see it: When will we know the status of the SUPER SPECIAL EDITIONS that we have right of first refusal?

I emailed Simon, and will let you know what I hear back!

Unrelated but awesome: 13th Age on YouTube!

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Ran the first session of my summer game today, and while I'll eventually edit the audio and post it up, here's the short version:

The party started off receiving their reward from the semi-canon one-shot that led into the campaign (a rune for everyone), and then went around investigating to see what was going on in town. When they stopped by the pawn shop of Cogwell Grave, gnome and shady character, to sell some loot they were offered another job, since they'd proven reasonably adept at retrieving strange things from underground. Grave's man Gary had suffered an "accident", and the party was to go to Gary's place in the Knockerton slums and retrieve a custom walking stick Graves had given to Gary for repairs--anything else they found they could keep, since Grave assured them that Gary wouldn't miss it. In the cul-de-sac where Gary lived, they found Celerity Swiss, a sutra chanting exorcist attempting to keep the local hauntings down.
Turns out Gary had dug himself a basement and broken into an ancient mausoleum, and most of his goods were stuff he was grave-robbing. The party retrieved the walking stick, but the party paladin has a specific vendetta against the undead, so they pressed on to purify the place. Assaulted by undead, the only living person they found was a half-mad necromancer who claimed to serve "Anchor", but the party handily won the day, in no small part because whatever trick the ranger pulled that lets the Escalation Die start at one when he gets a good initiative synergizes really well with barbarians, especially when the barbarian gets the rune benefit that lets them do +1d10 damage when the EDie is 3+. They did find a crystal spire where a well-dressed man had been lashed to it and messily sacrificed. Mission complete, the party headed topside where they ran into Quentin Knocker III, slumlord and literally Looten Plunder, who was looking for a missing assistant of his. The party asked uncomfortable questions, and Knocker took the earliest opportunity to leave, which meant the bard didn't have to explain why he was wearing the assistant's clothes after stealing them off his messily sacrificed corpse.

Current hooks for the future: a dwarven timber-baron was assaulted by seabirds, knocked into the harbor, and devoured by a saltwater crocodile that should've been living a ways east in the Fangs. An unknown pair of sorcerers had a fight, and one of them was messily pecked to death by either a flock of invisible birds or one invisible creature with a whole bunch of beaks. Delicate treaty negotiations are ongoing between the elves and dwarves.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
The elven lawsmith also made sure the necromancer'll stand trial for what must be hundreds of unsolved murders. Also, a dwarven boat crashed, leaving mysterious luggage downriver.

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

Overemotional Robot posted:

Simon replied:

quote:

It will be printed at the same time as the other books, and put on pre-order before the books are shipped. Escalation edition orderers will get first refusal, then Kickstarter backers, the other pre-orderers, then we’ll open it up. To have the chance of getting it, you must be able to receive emails from simon@news.pelgranepress.com. I will announce publicly when the email has gone out.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

The guy who is going to run our 13th Age game said he wanted to add in an assets and drawbacks system from some Evangelion game he played. It has things like:

"Dependent
Effect: The pilot’s sense of self-worth is overly influenced by the opinions of others. They must
choose one person and, if their opinion of the pilot is ever negative, the pilot takes a -10 to all rolls
for 1d5 hours and must choose a new person to become dependent on."

I have some reservations about this, especially considering most of the other players are new to tabletop gaming and have to learn all the existing rules. Can I get some second opinions on this?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I think with a new system or new players it's best to just play as written and then modify or house rule as needed. Otherwise you're salting the potatoes before you've tasted them.

It sounds like he wants to mechanically reinforce characterization, but that could backfire and restrict creativity instead of sparking it. Reasons for one character needing another character's approval could emerge organically from backgrounds and be interesting. But if the reason is "terrible modifiers otherwise", it's not something that will be explored beyond that. Maybe he doesn't trust players to do interesting things?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Mystic Mongol posted:

You can fix this retroactively by having the bite reappear a few times in the presence of the undead. Use this to get an investigation into covert undead activity rolling, but each time it happens the necrosis spreads. They better find a cure... and soon! (dun dun dun)
It's a great idea but my group is the one with a necromancer and zombie companion right in it. I mean, there's going to be covert undead activity, it's just when he wants to investigate it, he can go to the common room with two beers and ask Rufus the Sinister what he's been up to lately.

I think their next destination is simply going to feature a dying old holy man who is in tune with the spiritual world just enough to identify a man who has been blessed by an agent of the Priestess. But not enough in tune with the material world to ask why before he bequeathes the Holy Breastplate of St. Sebastian unto him.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

My group has finally set a time to kick off our campaign and I am as amped as I can be :black101:

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Tigsaw posted:

"Dependent
Effect: The pilot’s sense of self-worth is overly influenced by the opinions of others. They must
choose one person and, if their opinion of the pilot is ever negative, the pilot takes a -10 to all rolls

That honestly doesn't sound fun to me? I understand Evangelion generally suffers from fairly damaged characters, but a -10 is basically as good as being knocked out for that number of hours. It really depends on what he wants to achieve with that kind of system, but 13th Age is a more "positive" system in that you start from a baseline and just get benefits from there, and penalties from your own abilities are rare. I'd think it'd be better to concentrate on the fun, positive stuff in the core rather than worry about adding a benefit / punishment system. Those are notoriously hard to design well, anyway.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Tigsaw posted:

The guy who is going to run our 13th Age game said he wanted to add in an assets and drawbacks system from some Evangelion game he played. It has things like:

"Dependent

I have some reservations about this, especially considering most of the other players are new to tabletop gaming and have to learn all the existing rules. Can I get some second opinions on this?

That just seems....unfun? Like a -10 is basically "You're doing nothing at all ever" which I guess fits Eva, but it's not a fun thing to play. There's way to do severe drawbacks without crippling people especially in a character based game like 13th Age.

Also Eva is bad and he should watch some real mecha. 13th Age Getter Campaign. :getin:

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
I'm pretty sure that's actually from the Eva hack for Dark Heresy, where a -10 is crippling, but that's because you're a schmuck, not "never do anything ever" territory. It's still a bad idea, though.

Suggest to him instead that the best means of encouraging roleplaying is to be given hooks, plot threads and memorable NPCs in the game. That way he can encourage you to act in ways he wants, you're not hamstrung by weird rules that are only occasionally enforced, and perhaps the best part, he doesn't have to keep track of a dozen or more house rule conditions while he's busy running the game.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Desty posted:

I'm pretty sure that's actually from the Eva hack for Dark Heresy, where a -10 is crippling, but that's because you're a schmuck, not "never do anything ever" territory. It's still a bad idea, though.

Yeah. It strikes me as a very specific flaw to simulate a specific plot with a specific character in a specific series, rather than a general flaw suitable for character consumption.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Tigsaw posted:

That sounds like an extreme and overcomplicated version of Negative Backgrounds

E: How long does a single combat usually take in this? I grew tired of 4E's hours-long battles, but some people are hesitant about the "faster combat" blurb on the official site.

quote:

The escalation die and everything seems like its just get out of combat as soon as possible and back to "Fantasy tea party" My friend Justin Trolls that about all RPGs, I find it hilarious.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 02:52 on May 17, 2013

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

So I spoke to my GM friend, sharing my concerns (many of which were echoed in this thread), and he said he hadn't planned on making it a mandatory thing like it is in the Evangelion game, the drawbacks are just going to be the price we pay for any additional bonuses we want built in to our characters.

I don't think I'll be taking advantage of it, but if someone else wants to be a double expert wizard at the cost of being literally crippled, well that's their call to make.

That said, I did link him to the negative backgrounds, which sits better with me, so with any luck he'll take a liking to it.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

In my game, our group of 6 (rogue/barb/barb/ranger/bard/paladin), an hour is roughly accurate. Everyone gets 3 or so turns, and actions are really easy; roll attack, and if you hit, roll damage. Not a lot of action paralysis, no fiddling with 5 foot steps.

The escalation die is helpful; I remember a lot of 3.X battles where you'd miss, and they'd miss, and you'd miss...with the bonuses you get with your good attacks at first level, your +s are at minimum going to add 35%-50% to your to hit. With the escalation die and a few bonuses, you will be hitting your enemies.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
People calling the Escalation Die an easy button or a shortcut aren't looking at all the numbers properly. The damage output and HP values are made with it in mind. Without it, the PCs would have a real hard time getting to the next full heal-up with any recoveries left. It's a pacing mechanism, and gives fights their own dramatic arc. In the first round the PCs get wrecked, then they gradually crawl back and blow the monsters away with the big guns they've been saving.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

It's also important to remember that the Escelation Die is a momentum tracker. If the PCs are huddled behind a wall waiting for better bonuses, it winds down instead of ticking up. It answers How real is this poo poo getting? on a scale of 1-6.

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

Jackard posted:

That sounds like an extreme and overcomplicated version of Negative Backgrounds

E: How long does a single combat usually take in this? I grew tired of 4E's hours-long battles, but some people are hesitant about the "faster combat" blurb on the official site.

Honestly in our group of 5 adventurers, a 4-5 round combat takes about 15 minutes. (At level 1-3)

Syntaxed
Feb 20, 2004

Kenderama posted:

Honestly in our group of 5 adventurers, a 4-5 round combat takes about 15 minutes. (At level 1-3)

I have only played on game of 13th age :( but that seems right.

When you remove the goofy 5-foot-step game and have the escalation die I can't see how it would approach anything near 4E combat length

Dec 26, 2012

Syntaxed posted:

I have only played on game of 13th age :( but that seems right.

When you remove the goofy 5-foot-step game and have the escalation die I can't see how it would approach anything near 4E combat length

Since I almost exclusively play RPGs via IRC nowadays, my main concern as far as getting bogged down is stuff like the normal condition tracking and effects as they relate to the escalation die. Both of those are more so group attention span issues and reasons to swap to something like roll20 though.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Man, all the places where I forgot rules really jump out at me when I'm editing the audio. Anyway, here's Session 1 of Glitterhaegen Nights, which may not actually take place during the night at all.
Session 1-1
Session 1-2
Session 1-3
Session 1-4
Featuring djw175 as Bozzy the Bar-bear-ian, Rhinoceraptor as Apostrophe Jones the Other Barbarian, Lord Frisk as Jack the Bard, Golden Bee as Kordelia Poe the Rogue, Jakse as Rurik the Paladin, and Frocobo as Blake and Gizmo: the Ranger and his faithful porcupine.

Apparently Sendspace only keeps things up for 30 days, anyone have a better (free) option?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I think it's section 1-2 (during the zombie fight) when we all bust out laughing for no reason. It's because in chat I typed
"If you're having Ghoul problems I feel bad for you son" to which Rhinoceraptor responded "I got 99 problems but a lich ain't one."

Knowing that we're on the record, I'll keep jokes in audio form.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Is the Barbarian Kickstarter-only at the moment? My download's chapter 4 skips over them. I have Bard, Cleric, Fighter, Paladin, Ranger, Rogue, Sorcerer, Wizard, and the rough draft Monk.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Zurai posted:

Is the Barbarian Kickstarter-only at the moment? My download's chapter 4 skips over them. I have Bard, Cleric, Fighter, Paladin, Ranger, Rogue, Sorcerer, Wizard, and the rough draft Monk.

The barbarian isn't in the fully laid-out pdf drafts, but if you have access to the Escalation Edition version it's in there. I assume they're looking for a few more interesting things to give it before calling the barbarian done; I think the talents for cleric/sorc spells and terrain tricks added some interesting options for rangers.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.

PublicOpinion posted:

The barbarian isn't in the fully laid-out pdf drafts, but if you have access to the Escalation Edition version it's in there. I assume they're looking for a few more interesting things to give it before calling the barbarian done; I think the talents for cleric/sorc spells and terrain tricks added some interesting options for rangers.

Wait, are there things different between the last Escalation Edition and the laid-out PDFs? I thought it was just formatting and prettiness.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

There are a few things different, although I couldn't tell you what exactly off-hand. When we prepared our first session I used the full pdf and my players the finished chapters, and we had to sort out a few issues first. Nothing major or hard to interpret though.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

The only difference I'm sure of is that classes which previously had 6 background points got bumped to 8.

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

PublicOpinion posted:

The only difference I'm sure of is that classes which previously had 6 background points got bumped to 8.

Basically there was an optional rule where every class got 8 background points instead of either 6, 8 or 12 and that was swapped to be the default.

Also I'm enjoying the podcast so far. Are there any special permissions you needed in order to post it? Because the game KidCoelacanth and I are doing is probably also going to be recorded and we want to make that available as well.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

I sent Wade a PM before posting it to double check, and he said we are all firmly out from under the NDA and can post whatever. I've seen kidcoelecanth's character art on tumblr and am interested in how that game goes!

PublicOpinion fucked around with this message at 05:28 on May 19, 2013

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Pyradox posted:

Basically there was an optional rule where every class got 8 background points instead of either 6, 8 or 12 and that was swapped to be the default.
Right, that was the main thing we ran into. We had agreed to use the optional rule already though. And may I add, more games need developer sidebars that explain why a rule is the way it is and that nothing's going to break if you do X, Y or Z instead.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

PublicOpinion posted:

I sent Wade a PM before posting it to double check, and he said we are all firmly out from under the NDA and can post whatever. I've seen kidcoelecanth's character art on tumblr and an interested in how that game goes!

Speaking of which!

I've finalized the design for my 13A character so I might as well show it off too!! Pyradox was a huge help in getting the clothes and details in order so hella props to him.

Chroma "The Rainbow Warrior" Rusch (Human Fighter) is the reigning champion of the Empire Fight Federation and is basically an amalgamation of many of the big-name pro wrestlers of the WWE. Her OUT is that she can "see the true colors of man" (an ability I'm keeping slightly in the dark for now), and she's loud, boisterous, and packed with charisma. I'm really psyched to start playing her, because I've reskinned dual weapons into FISTS and will be dropping powerbombs and DDTs all over the place in combat. The flexibility this game allows is really awesome and I can't understate how drat excited I am.

kidcoelacanth fucked around with this message at 17:26 on May 18, 2013

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Awesome design and concept. That's the smallest title belt I've ever seen though.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Golden Bee posted:

Awesome design and concept. That's the smallest title belt I've ever seen though.

Seconding this. Wrasslin Belts need to be big and gaudy, otherwise nobody's gonna give you proper respect.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I'm not up on my wrestling, but I can only see some Ultimate Warrior DNA, and I thought he retired at the start of WWE.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Y'all make good points. Will beef that sucker up next go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

kidcoelacanth posted:

Y'all make good points. Will beef that sucker up next go.

Hey you have to start small, otherwise the Champion of the Age tower shield belt buckle would mean nothing!

• Locked thread