Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Hey, I'd just like to check to see if anyone else has been having some issues with pre-orders?

I pre-ordered 13th Age a while ago, and I know my credit card got billed, but I never got any email or contact from Pelgrane at all, and when I sent an email to them about it, I never got any response back. I'd really like to support the game and get my copy of Escalation Edition, but this has been a really disheartening experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Winson_Paine posted:

I am liking the icons a lot. The Escalation die feels... odd to me, I guess. It seems like it would detract from the mood of things if instead of an increasingly desperate struggle the struggle becomes increasingly less desperate as things go on. I can sort of dig having it from a mechanical perspective so fights actually end sooner rather than later, but dunno how I like it from a narrative perspective.

On the other hand, you've got the narrative idea of warming up to your big attacks, pulling out more and more power as the fight goes on because you prove to need it.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I'm not sure why, but the Priestess really comes off as...boring. The Dwarf King, Elf Queen and Emperor don't have much more text than she does, but they seem more interesting than her. The Priestess just comes off as kind of bland. I think it's that there's no detail on her religion, which is...core to what she is. Like, with the Crusader he's got his armies and hellhole-punching and it's pretty clear what he's about even if we have no idea what the dark gods are like, but the Priestess doesn't have that.

(Of course, everyone pales in comparison to the Three, but that's because the Three rock.)

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The Barbarian as some kind of frontlines, raging Warlord/Barbarian hybrid is the best Barbarian.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I'm kind of imagining it being an extension of the Best Houserule.

Which is 'everyone, every character, gets free access to Vance's Polysyllabic Verbalization as an ability, you always get awesome tricks for going out of your way to describe how you do a thing.'

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Alternatively: she doesn't sweat because she was born without fear. She has never known terror of the heat, of the enemy, of anything. She is literally fearless - and as a result, doomed to get into some big trouble.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Monks get a free disengage power anyway, so.

And yeah, compare to Cruel, where once a fight you get to turn one even roll that hits into a crit.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Mystic Mongol posted:

If by "free" you mean "costs your standard attack" then yes!

Granted so.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

DalaranJ posted:

Of course, good luck in convincing the Orc Lord to care. Unless you can find a way to direct the dungeon to crash into the target he wants. And explain to him how to do it in under two minutes.

Is it a weapon? Weapons can be suborned and directed.

The Orc Lord's premier tool isn't raw force, though he has enough of that. It's that he suborns civilization. The Orc Plague literally converts people into being his soldiers. Which he then uses with all the subtlety of a hammer, to be sure, but the guy is certainly more than capable of exercising the subtlety and control needed to get ahold of a new hammer.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Drakkenhall, all the way.

Three supremacy.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I dunno, the Black is a brutal killer...who also patrons organizations of assassins who are as famous for their flower arrangements as their deadly fists. The Red is patron of the Hell's Angels.

(I mean, yes, those are technically optional, but...why wouldn't you use them?)

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Assuming nothing goes wrong. If it does, ask Wade, poo poo gets handled fast.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Three Supremacy, as always. Horizon's cool, but I just love the Three.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Question regarding Chromatic Destroyer heritage. It seems less useful than I first thought, looking at it. After all, the Sorcerer is often going to be spending turns gathering power, and because of the Escalation Die, fights don't last overly long. Between that and the fact that every Breath Weapon is a Daily spell, how often are you really going to have multiple Breath Weapons up anyway?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Mors Rattus posted:

Question regarding Chromatic Destroyer heritage. It seems less useful than I first thought, looking at it. After all, the Sorcerer is often going to be spending turns gathering power, and because of the Escalation Die, fights don't last overly long. Between that and the fact that every Breath Weapon is a Daily spell, how often are you really going to have multiple Breath Weapons up anyway?

So I take it I'm the only one who ran into this issue, then? If so: what am I missing here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Hm. I have been reading over the Sorcerer stuff more as I level my Sorcerer up to the heady heights of level 2, and it occurs to me: Breath of the White really starts to suck as you level it up. At level 1, yeah, it's a pretty nice Daily. At level 3, 5d6+Cha is reasonably comparable to 15+Cha ongoing, I suppose. It averages to around 18 damage per shot, and only hits 1d2 as compared to 1d4 guys.

Then we hit level 5. 4d10+Cha damage to 1d2 guys. Average of around 22 damage. Compares to 25+Cha ongoing to 1d4 guys or 10d6+Cha (average: 35) and 20 ongoing to one guy.

Level 7: 6d12+Cha (average: 39) to 1d2. Compares to 35+Cha ongoing to 1d4, 10d10+Cha (average: 55) plus 40 ongoing to one or 10d12+Cha (average: 65) to one plus 20 damage to 1d6 nearby foes.

Level 9: 10d12+Cha (average: 65) to 1d2. Compares to 50+Cha ongoing to 1d4, 2d6*10+Cha (average: 70) plus 60 ongoing to one, 2d10*10+Cha (average: 110) to one plus 25 damage to 1d6 nearby foes or 2d12*10+Cha (average: 130) to one, plus slowing.

This might be okay if 1d2 weren't a 50/50 shot at 'one guy', but since it is, the damage is simply pathetic. (Breath of the Green, with 1d4 target, suffers a lesser version of the same problem, but ongoing damage helps there.)

I consider this a problem because my Sorcerer is a literal child of one of the Three and it feels very unthematic to not end up with all of the dragon-based Breath spells at the end, but I have trouble justifying Breath of the White after 3rd level.

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jun 7, 2013

• Locked thread