Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Well after hearing so many positive things about WFRPG 3e from this board I finally looked into it and really like it. Now I hear you guys are really liking this game and I wish I knew more. Would you guys say it is comparable to or better than WFRPG, even at this early stage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Since you are both playtesters can you not just PM each other to discuss it?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Misandu posted:

You could also take an existing system (Healing Surges which I agree are an incredible mechanic all around) and tie that to Fatigue/Tilt.

You gain access to your abilities as you Warm Up through out the day. You determine how 'Warmed Up' you are by your remaining Healing Surges. As you deplete your Healing Surges you gain access to additional/more powerful effects. In situations where you know you won't be fighting many battles, or just to increase your damage output, you can voluntarily spend Healing Surges to gain access to more powerful effects earlier.

This has a few immediately obvious effects. For one, it more directly ties two resources together (Daily Powers and Healing Surges, which I already think are connected in an interesting though abstract way). Next, it allows the party to regulate themselves in between extended rests. If they're going to explore a dungeon, they can rely on lower powered attacks in the beginning and break out the more powerful effects as the day goes on. If they know they have just the one major confrontation, they can forgo long term stamina in favor of 'going nova' on the one major encounter.

Under this system I would probably allow my players to trade in Daily powers for an emergency Healing Surge, but it'd be less efficient then just saving the Healing Surges for actual healing.

I really like this idea, but rather than phrase it as "when your healing surges are low," why not have a separate stat called Adrenaline and when you perform special acts, like burning a healing surge, that stat goes up, which unlocks your special abilities or can itself be burned for various effects? This opens up the opportunity to have more than just healing resources influence when you're at your most dangerous.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

^^^^ Heh, I didn't actually read your post before I posted but it seems we have similar ideas. I like the idea of momentum being represented mechanically to deter complacency.

Misandu posted:

Honestly if I was really going to implement something like this into 4th I'd probably redo Healing Surges as a Party wide resource and base the entire thing off of that. Say make it so that your Encounter use powers are always available. First tier of used Surges gives you your lowest tier of Dailies and powers up your At-Wills. Second Tier unlocks Utility Dailies and second strongest dailies. Third Tier pumps up your Encounters, unlocks your last Dailies.

Dailies and Healing Surges work off the same resource already in 4th. You don't have to blow your dailies ONLY on huge boss enemies, and if you choose to use them strategically you can actually greatly extend your adventuring day by reducing the amount of wear and tear you suffer in an average fight. If you save them all for some big encounter you know is coming late in the day you're going to expend more Healing Surges on your way to that encounter. Tying them to Healing Surges by default just seems more in line with the design 4th already has.

Also gently caress magic item daily powers. Let each character choose a signature style item, then give signature items an encounter power then maybe another power that can be restored with Healing Surges or something. Everything about how magic item dailies work in 4th is just a mess in my mind though.

I like how you're thinking. Linking powers to spent healing surges while keeping surges tied to characters limits some characters more than others. It would also be interesting to see Defenders and Leaders, say, contributing more to that pool by nature of being focused on protecting the team. If they don't need the healing surge, they can share it.

You could have a collaborative party resource pool. The pool itself is called Momentum, and there are two sides, one called Reserve or Calm, and the other called Adrenaline or Opportunity. Basically we're talking a more dynamic party based variation on the WFRPG 3e stance track. All team members contribute their respective values to the pool by putting their tokens down. Powers that are fueled by deliberate actions and careful coordination burn Reserve. As Reserve is spent, the tokens are moved to the Adrenaline side of the pool. This represents how things get chaotic and crazy, creating openings for powers that depends on the wilder side of things. Classes can differ based on what resource(s) they depend on, how much and what types they contribute to the pool, and how much they need, and it encourages a variety of class types or powers in the team because if you have nothing but Reserve powers, when you got nothing but Adrenaline in the pool you'll have nothing to do (except maybe use a power like "Find the Center" that converts Adrenaline back into Reserve; which would definitely be the sort of thing a Leader type should have).

You could also have some powers be explicitly team-based, such that if you have two or more teammates in range for a maneuver, they can burn some of their reserves to pull off a difficult and powerful power.

And yeah, magic item daily powers were tedious to keep track of, even in a heroic tier game.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Mar 29, 2012

• Locked thread