Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009

Asimo posted:

Hmm. I dunno about the no grid thing. One of the best parts of 4e was how it had a lot of powers and tactics focusing on positioning and forced movement, while still being simple about it. Abstracting it more wouldn't feel the same.

It's a minor worry though, everything else about it sounds cool.

After reading most of it, I think I'd still play with the grid just for help with visualizing the encounter, but the rules are really light about distances. Mostly you target someone you're engaged with, someone close, or someone you can see.

Wizards get interesting spell slots as well, such as a "Utility" spell which takes up a spot and you can use it to cast 3 different spells. Like if you memorize Utility in a slot, you can burn it to cast either Feather Fall, Alter Self or Hold Portal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009

Mikan posted:

This is just based on reading and I'll need to play it and I haven't given it a thorough look but so far multiclassing penalties seem a little harsh. You're down a class feature, you have die penalties, lower defenses, you're a level behind and your powers can't really interact plus a few other things.

The hypothetical versatility doesn't seem even remotely worth the penalties you have to deal with.

Yeah my friend had the same criticisms, he liked the free multiclassing of 3rd edition and felt like this wasn't as "mix and match."

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009

whydirt posted:

Are there warlord-like abilities in the playtest? Either as the actual class or as abilities for the fighter?

I don't see any for Fighter, but they're pretty cool. They unlock abilities as the Escalation die goes up and have some stuff that's triggered on a miss. Their Intercept class feature is pretty awesome, it triggers once per round on an enemy moving to attack an ally, you break away from anyone you're engaged with and take the attack instead. If you're wearing heavy armor, you only take 1/2 damage from the attack.

Unfortunately, to do the Intercept move, you have to roll a d20 and get 11+, which is a recurring theme in the playtest. It seems like a lot of extra die rolling when 4e felt like it was eliminating as many dice as it could.

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009

Mikan posted:

Rope Trick :stare:

Ha I had to read the description, if you level it up it comes with hot tubs and nice beds. It reads like an advertisement: "Indulge yourself with a 7th level Rope Trick."

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009
One thing I'm not really liking is the 1d3 mechanic. I have a feeling it's a way to get around rigidly defining areas of powers, but rolling 1d3 to see how many people you're able to hit with something just feels strange, especially with something like a Fireball. Plus I just hate d3's, I don't know why, but I hate them so much.

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009

fosborb posted:

Wait, you don't just use a d6?

I do use a d6 and cut it in half, but I can't articulate why I hate it. I tried to earlier to a friend and I just can't. I guess I don't like dividing the die by 2, but it's not like it's hard. I also don't like d4's.

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

Is it that you have to roll an 11+ to get it to work, or that you have to get an 11+ on your attack roll for it to work? I read it as the later.

Says it's a normal saving throw (11+).

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009

Captain Bravo posted:

You know, now that I actually think about it, it seems like an easy fix would just be coins. For every awesome ability that seems hamstrung by unnecessary rolling, just have them flip a coin. they get a heads, it works. Quicker, easier, and maintains pretty much the exact same success/failure rate.

Coins isn't a bad fix, but there are different varieties of saving throws so it wouldn't hit them all. Some are hard saves (16+) and easy saves I assume are (6+).

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009

Rexides posted:

Without getting into detail, is there a unified ability mechanic, like AWED Powers in 4E, that serves as a baseline for class balance? I keep hearing things like "monks have combos", "rogues have momentum" and even that thing in the OP about classes being ranked by complexity, and I am wondering if we end up with a system that's hard to balance.

I mean, it's Rob Heinsoo we are talking about here so I have nothing to worry about, but I would really like to know how people who have had a look at the rules feel about this.

From what I've seen in the playtest of "ranking," it's mostly a little blurb saying "this is a good class for a beginner" or "don't give this to a new guy." It's mostly because of the class features I think, because Clerics and Wizards especially have a lot of conditional effects that trigger when they do something or are based on roleplaying and are not easy to explain to a newbie.

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009

Mikan posted:

Unfortunately, the Barbarian has zero complexity knobs and the Ranger looks really boring compared to the Fighter. Balanced, but boring.

The dual wielding mechanic is kind of weak for rangers, not to mention unfun. You only get an off-hand attack if you roll an even number for your first attack, and no matter what, if you're dual wielding you move the damage dice for each weapon down 1 tier. You can take a feat to make the dice normal 1/day, but that isn't any fun either.

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009

Mikan posted:

The dual attack mechanic isn't bad, it's a decent increase in average damage without falling into the Twin Strike trap. Rangers in general seem pretty weak though.

Actually thinking about it some more, it's not terrible with scaling damage dice. A 5th level ranger would turn his d10's into d8's and maybe get to make 2 attacks with +1 to hit to do 5d10+str mod per hit.

E: I guess it's the even rolling thing that bothers me.

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009

ninjeff posted:

I'm a bit worried by the fact that someone mentioned that the escalation die only applies to PCs, not monsters. It's another reason (in addition to the one whydirt mentioned) to favour delaying tactics. We're going to see parties playing as defensively as possible for the first five rounds and then going nova.

Sure, that's better than 4e's "go nova on the first two rounds and then putter along in an at-will battle of attrition", but can't we have a happy medium? If the escalation die applied to monsters as well, then there'd be a real imperative to finish off the more glass-cannon type enemies before they start one-shotting players. Then you get an attack bonus to mop up the soldiers that are left over.

Last post I'm going to make here, but the GM decides if the escalation die moves up or not. If the party is simply delaying and screwing around, he can choose that the escalation die resets, moves down, or stays static. Also some monsters do use the escalation die, notably solos.

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009

P.d0t posted:

so, weekend over.. Any playtest updates?

I am enjoying this playtest.

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009
I think a fun campaign would be running around causing chaos and opening portals to hell/the Abyss because the Crusader is running out of things to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009
Well poo poo this snuck up on me and I forgot to fill out and submit my playtest questionnaire.

• Locked thread