Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
So the Icons are important NPCs the players can hook in to? Is this all fluff or are there mechanical bonuses?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler
Are Ogres still dumb? This is important.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler
13th Age already has the escalation die which is a brilliant mechanic how about Tilt as something similar going for the Monsters. Each enounter after the second during the adventuring day Monsters get a static +1/+1 or an HP boost.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler
So there are 3 defenses and each defense has it's own hitpoint total?

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler
That sounds very cool. I was looking at your monster cheat sheet and HP are listed 3 times. Was that a mistake or does it represent something else?

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler
When a relationship changes with an Icon is it omniscient like in a computer RPG or can you convince the Emperor and the Lich King that they are both your BFFs?

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler
Any thoughts on stagnation at higher levels in 13a? Our Pathfinder campaign is at level 12 and getting kind of boring since we're tiny gods. I'd like a game that doesn't hit this brick wall.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler

Laphroaig posted:

I think I can mention this since I saw it elsewhere by Heinsoo or Tweet talking about the game:

There are only 10 levels. In the recent playtest, we played level 8 characters. We felt capable, but there simply isn't math inflation/magic item treadmills/tons and tons of new options and powers that normally make high level play drag and quadratically increase player power. You get new options, at each level, and even between each level thanks to a cool mechanic I can't talk about, but its not like suddenly getting access to 7th level spells and becoming a god. Basically, each level is a noticeable step up from the last, but I can say having played at 1, 3, and 8, I never felt invulnerable or at tiny god status the way I would at comparing at level 1 3.5 character and a level 18 3.5 character.

Part of this is that level 1 characters are simply more competent; you start off having fun, and you increase in power linearly, not exponentially. A level 8 character is seven levels more powerful then a level 1 character. In 3.5, I would say a level 17 character is worth a thousand or even ten thousand level 1 characters.

Thanks for the info. I am not enjoying not enjoying this playtest.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler
I'm going to mail my postcards to the 5th Ed thread with a message, "Enjoying this game. Glad you're not here."

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler
I always wanted to a play a Bear Warrior in 3.X. Put in a supplement so I can be a raging man-bear.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler

Alpha Phoenix posted:

http://www.own3d.tv/AlphaPhoenix/live/191773

Nerds.avi

I'll have comments open, so if we do anything terrible just chip in.

Kill them all. For having fun.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler
On magic items, I very much like the idea of magic item quirks, though the grog in me wants some sort of mechanistic enforcement of them. The thing that tickles my brain is Chapter 9 starts out saying true magic items are rare. It seems like if GMs keep this commandment it seems unlikely players will cross the threshold where quirks kick in. Can anyone who's run games contradict this?

My rough thought is level minus 1 or to make Champion items and epic items are equivalent to 1.5 and 2 respectively.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler
Strength and Intelligence are the new dump stats is how I'm reading that. :v:

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler
So I'm not familiar with the Kickstarter, when can we sign up for the extra items? I need to throw more money at this thing.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler
I'm disappointed by the lack of love for Concord. Dwarves and Elves living together in harmony would be seriously cool and not something done before in any fantasy I know.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler
Voted for Concord. Peace through Unity, in Unity is Victory.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler

Etherwind posted:

I have no horse in this race. Where should I vote for? Vote goes to the funniest reason.

No comedy option. Most of our conception of Dwarves and Elves in fantasy is taken from Tolkien. He set up an adversarial relationship between Thorin's band and the Mirkwood Elves in The Hobbit and more specifically in between Legolas and Gimli in The Lord of The Rings. A look at these two 'natural' antagonists living together would be something fresh in fantasy.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler
So the same team that can make a boring idea interesting can't make an interesting idea exciting?

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler
Any idea if 13th Age will be available for purchase at Gencon? I've preordered but that will be the best chance to con my friends in to impulse buying the core book.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler

waderockett posted:

13th Age will be available for purchase at Gen Con. Unless the printing facility burns down. Or the world runs out of oil, requiring us to ship via caravan through marauder-infested wastelands.

Excellent. Also hoping to get in to the session Wade is running at GenCon.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler

waderockett posted:

Oh, great! Which one - Deathless Gulch, or Deep Gnome Rising?

Deep Gnome Rising. Disappointed there isn't more 13th Age being offered.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler
Hey Wade, did Pelgrane get any takers for 13th Age sessions? I didn't get in to your game and am very sad.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler

waderockett posted:

In other news:

Cat Tobin submitted 18 more 13th Age sessions to the Gen Con events database, and we'll publicize them once they're live. Alien Rope Burn is one of our GMs!

Going to be :f5: this so hard.

My group has tentatively asked me to run 13th Age in few months when our current GM moves out of state. How much prep work do you guys put in to ongoing Campaigns?

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler
Thanks for the write up Wade.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler
I'm looking at Wade right now. It's great.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler
Just finished the 13th Age panel at Gencon. Big news is they expect 13 True Ways at the printers in December and preorders for the Bestiary in a few weeks.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler

Dionysos510 posted:

Question about the 13th Age Gencon panel: did they say if there would be something like an Escalation Edition, or new playtest doc or anything like that for Bestiary preorders?

I think Simon said new True Ways classes would be made available to KickStarter people, but nothing like the Escalation edition. Didn't come up when talking about the Bestiary.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler
I have a question about "Engaged". I've read the section a few times and it's unclear for me.

If 'A' is engaged with 'B' and 'B' is engaged with 'C' is 'A' also engaged with 'C'? Or is it dependent on basing like they mention in the book and only the minis that can touch each other are engaged?

Basically whether its a rugby scrum or more tactically limited.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler
Had my first session last night, running Boltstrike Pillar. The group had a good time and did everything but kill the dragon, which they want to hunt down next session.

One of my players wanted something more in line with the 4E Swordmage and wrote up his own class. We played with it as written for the first session and it seemed to overshadow the other characters. Is the damage math off or the extra attack each round from "Assault" too good? Any feedback is appreciated.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler
My Wizard player has the "Counter-Magic" ability from the High Arcana talent, but almost no monster descriptions indicate attacks as "spells". Am I missing something or is it a DM judgement call? I've gone with "rule of cool" and let him strangle a dragon's breath weapon in it's throat but maybe I'm understanding wrong.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler

PlasmaMan posted:

I just found this old idea in a file and I figured anyone who is interested in a tarot-themed character, npc, quest, or whatever, but wanted a more dragon empire-specific variant might find this useful. I arranged all the icons as well as the three tiers in the same manner as the major arcana of the tarot deck are (I imagine the original minor arcana work just fine), as to represent a journey through life. key words on the left, "story" on the right...

code:
o	the adventurer	heroics, naivety, start of the journey, youth, dreams	The hero first sets out, young and hopeful
i	the archmage	control, learned power, commands, service, duty		The hero is initially guided by a mentor
ii	the crusader	purpose, blind ambition, courage, focus, discipline	The hero grows to stubbornly depend on themselves alone
iii	the dwarf king	stability, history, tradition, respect, treasure	The hero is reminded of their past & the world around them
iv	the emperor	ceremony, safety, prosperity, combat, honor		The hero brings the world and themselves into balance
v	the g. g. wyrm	quest, righteousness, aid, selflessness			The hero finds a quest to guide their journey
vi	the elf queen	mystery, peace, miracles, the unexpected, tension	The hero settles into enjoying life and their quest
vii	the orc lord	force, upheaval, destruction, diametric change, sudden	The hero experiences disaster and loses
viii	the champion	growth, personal change, discomfort, introspect, doubt	The hero has grown, but doubts their progress
ix	the diabloist	impulsiveness, greed, selfishness, chaos, temptation	The hero falls into satisfying themselves alone
x	the prince of s.decadence, comfort, loss, pure but compromised love	The hero grows comfortable in ignorance and sloth, quest lost
xi	the three	unity, secrets, plans, unknown, knowledge, raw talent	The hero becomes aware of how the unknown affects them
xii	the high druid	freedom, family, nature, self-dependency, equality	The hero is brought back to their journey by their relationships
xiii	the lich king	decay, curses, dread, fear, ominous portent		The hero fears the end of their journey as they grow weak
xiv	the priestess	kindness, understanding, temperance, compromise, hope	The hero is brought to peace, returning to a hopeful youth
xv	the epic	acceptance, fate, success, conclusion, peaceful death	The hero accepts the end graciously
(most of the illustrations are pretty obvious to guess, but I imagine the epic as the back cover of a book, as to represent the close of a story or "epic")

You could also use "The (Koru) Behemoth", "The (Living) Dungeon" and "The (Flying) Island".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler

General Ironicus posted:

Does anyone else playing with a Commander have a problem with Buck Up!? It's a power that gives the target its average recovery value in THP and every time it has come out our table comes to a halt as the two people good at dice math figure out everyone's number while everyone else tries to crack the arcane mathemagic. I'd really prefer if it were simplified to 4xlevel or something like that.

Also my players killed an icon in a montage. I can dig it.

My group is having a similar problem. Any time the Bard is giving THP or a free move or someone else can give a bonus to attack thing grind to a halt as they try to figure out the best recipient. I'm thinking of making a 5 second rule to pick a target but it might be taken a too harsh by the group.

• Locked thread