Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Mikan posted:

I really wish we could talk about the setting and how funny the writing is.

I don't think it's stepping on the NDA to say that I hope the informal tone of the writing never ever changes.

Also Honeybottom, the ambiguously-gendered halfling rogue is the best character in the history of anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Mikan posted:

It's a matter of degree though - I'd place 13th Age (as it stands, at this very early point) below 4e and below WFRP. I'd still place it way, way above 95% of the RPG market.

I've only got one game in but, I dunno, it's still a D20 game. The numbers work a little better and are less dependent on the normal D20 poo poo but at some point it's still lipstick on a pig.

I'd rather play this than D&D but that's about it.

edit: I am sort of enjoying this playtest, except for a couple of really specific things I can't bitch about in public but have already sent e-mails about

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Mar 26, 2012

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I don't think we can really talk about that, sorry.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

moths posted:

So why does Pelgraine maintain a forums presence on RPGnet instead of, say, here?

I hate to break it to you but basically nobody reads this forum, comparatively.

edit: what Mikan said

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Mikan posted:

RPGnet is not a good place but it's also not terrible; the awful stuff on RPGnet is nowhere near as bad as like theRPGsite, and there's actually some cool stuff that comes out of RPGnet.

It's just, RPGnet is aggressively mediocre.

Honestly I think RPGNet is mostly fine as long as you're not reading the D&D forum.

But why would you read the D&D forum?

edit: grognards.txt is pretty bad most of the time too, ya'll, I don't want to turn this into a forum bashing derail, and I like this forum the best of all forums, but nobody should really be acting like they're superior to anyone

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Mar 27, 2012

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

ProfessorCirno posted:

Early date has me a bit worried; I enjoy what's there so far, but I enjoy it as an alpha. It still needs work.

I dunno how much they can do to it, honestly.

What sucks about the game is kinda baked into the base of the system.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

This is more Pathfinder's Pathfinder than 4e's Pathfinder.

Edit: That's kind of inflammatory but I guess the thing to keep in mind and I don't think is NDA breaking in any sense of the term is that it remains an SRD based game.

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Apr 16, 2012

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Since waderockett says we can talk about the game if we've submitted our playtest feedback, all I really want to say is that I really, really, really wish this wasn't an SRD game. The flattened math helps, but it's still a bad base system to use and basically fills no niche at my group's table that isn't better served by at least two different games. They've done a lot of work to... mitigate what makes the SRD really clunky and bad but it's just not doing enough for my friends and me.

That said, I really like the Icons and the social mechanics but I'm probably just going to steal the Icon idea and use it in something else.

edit: I should say that I don't dislike this game in particular, it's doing what it does very well and is innovating as much as it can in the box it's in. I just wish it was in a different box, as my group and I don't do much with the D20 D&D games anymore.

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Apr 30, 2012

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Evil Mastermind posted:

It's not a matter of copying it, it's a matter of printing it out in the first place. I'd rather bring it to a copy center and say "can you print this out double-sided?" instead of doing it myself and using up a whole ink cartridge.

I've printed out a lot of RPG stuff at kinko's and never once have they even looked at it.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Yeah, I want the monster stats to be easy to look up. I generally pull everything I'm going to use for the session out into a word document anyway, but the fewer pages I have to flip through to do that, the better.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Overemotional Robot posted:

Why would you get your name in the credits for pre-ordering a book?

It's just a trend that's been happening via kickstarter and other things for a while. You're putting down cash well before the book is coming out, so text and layout aren't locked, and they can acknowledge people who help them out. I'm in like 3 Greg Stolze joints.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Evil Mastermind posted:

So can we start pre-ordering or what?

Not yet, but "soon."

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I played with 3, wasn't an issue. You have to tailor the encounters to a smaller party but that's true of most games.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I want a supplement all about playing honeybottom the ambiguously gendered halfling.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

fosborb posted:

+ 4 background in flailing slapstick entrances
+ 2 background in surprisingly racist heckling

3d conflicted relationship with Newman

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

aegof posted:

So what's a Stealth check? The party rouge took Shadow Walk, which calls for one. I just had her roll a check with her Thief background, since she spent a Talent on that.

Sounds like legacy wording for a skill check to me, but I'm not 100%

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

sighnoceros posted:

Is this in the book somewhere? Because I'm not seeing it.

There aren't actually rules for flanking, it's just a +2 bonus you can talk your GM into.

The word Flanking is used 3 times in the pdf, all on page 166, and they're all talking about how you can use flanking if you're used to it from other games but it's not a codified bonus in 13th age and the writers think it's kinda boring.

edit: "In general, don’t worry about modifiers for range, flanking, position, fighting across corners, etc.
Ganging up: There is no standard bonus for ganging up on an enemy. For some creatures (like rogues with their Sneak Attack ability), ganging up is its own reward. Some monsters have gang-up powers too."

"If you want more combat modifiers than 13th Age uses, feel free to port bonuses in from another system and use those. Another option, however, is to invent special and unique sources for combat bonuses. It’s more interesting to get a +2 bonus to your attacks because you’re a dwarf fighting in the ancient dwarven Hall of Blood, or because you have probed your enemy’s weaknesses in its dreams than because you’re flanking it. "

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Yeah, honestly, I think flanking bonuses are fine because everyone who's played a D20 game before is used to it. It's a lot more work to remind people they can't do it.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Illvillainy posted:

What edition's adventures do you guys think it would be easier to convert to 13A? 3.x? 4?

Minions and the various 4e monster types translate almost 1 for 1 straight across to 13th age, but 13th age monsters are literally 4 stats and whatever attacks/powers they have so nothing is going to be much effort to convert at all.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Winson_Paine posted:

Some players are not as spontaneous or intuitively disposed to using more creative options, and most players will need to at least warm up to those sorts of rules anyway. Letting people get the bonus for flanking is a solid option for letting those players get on board until they get used to the idea they are not gonna get yelled at for trying something fun.

Besides, it's not like you have to do one or the other, and "I jump the guy while he's distracted by the barbarian swinging an axe at him" is a perfectly viable tactic to try.

edit: Especially since most encounters in 13th Age are, at least by the book, against an equal amount of monsters so ganging up on one is giving up some flexibility and letting another one run around doing whatever to the other players.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

waderockett posted:

Wait...is this what I think it is?

I will totally start a thread.

There's already a Gumshoe thread that nobody posts in.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3453937

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Of course the Great Gold Wyrm isn't plugging the hole in the abyss with his butt. He totally went in head first.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

waderockett posted:

Speaking of pre-ordering, the third version of the Escalation Edition is now available.

...and on August 13th, we're launching a Kickstarter for 13 True Ways, the first expansion book by the core team. RPGnet has an interview with Rob where he shares some details.

Yes, the monk and multiclassing are going to be in the expansion, not in the core book.

Pledging for

C H A O S
S H A M A N

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Page count, definitely. It's really hard for me to justify paying 50 bucks, like a dollar less than the core book cost to ship to my house, for a supplement that's half or two thirds the size.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Does this mean we shouldn't expect a lot of support for the game after 13 True Ways?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Gau posted:

I'm stoked to hear that! Just so you know, you seemed to be implying the opposite with your posts up until this one. All the same, I'm glad Pelgrane has plans for supplements.

waderockett posted:

Oh, there will be tons of support from Pelgrane Press. We're also getting inquiries from third party publishers.

The Kickstarter is all about keeping the core design team from Fire Opal Media together to create the first expansion book.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Honestly, all I want is for the living dungeon to be the 13th Age equivalent of the Tarrasque; a huge, immortal monstrosity whose origins are lost in time, roaming in the world devouring monsters and settlements to repopulate itself as adventures crawl around inside it, killing its inhabitants.

So a dungeon Koru Behemoth?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Someone with more time on their hands than me should do a quick primer of cool setting poo poo in 13th Age to riff dungeon ideas off of.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

If 20 bucks for a ~350 page PDF with good production values is too high for you you're not going to be happy with any sort of business plan they could be using.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Overemotional Robot posted:

There's 15 backers for this dungeon so if we include 2 of the extra Icons we know will be introduced with the core book we could each take one.

Extra icons? I've preordered/am ordering every 13th Age thing and have somehow missed this.

Edit: every kickstarter backer got an e-mail with a link to this thread, so that's pretty cool.

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Sep 17, 2012

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Sefer posted:

They just added the warlord Battle Captain as a stretch goal for $53k. Some other goals too, but I think it's clear what's important here.

The "I Hate This Town" goal is my new favorite. In-universe trashing of the least popular-by-player-vote city is a great idea.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I went and looked to make sure $25+ backers were already getting an icon die before I realized that's the joke.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

We've gotta be getting closer to a 200+ page book at this point, right?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Robin Laws is awesome (play Ashen Stars) so I hope they get the 8k needed for 32 pages of his material.

Plus, you know, 32 extra pages in the book makes the cover price feel much better justified.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I don't think they'll hit 93, but 76 is doable and I'd really like to read about the Necropolis, so here's hoping.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I think 70k was a lot more than anyone expected when this started, so congrats to the team.

Just make sure the books are worth it.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Glitterhaegen and Drakkenhall, probably.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

It kinda was, Baker contributed a lot of ideas to the setting, including the Koru Behemoths. He probably just had other obligations on his time that prevented him from writing a ton.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Pre-orderers are getting the release PDF before it ships, so I'd assume that means we'll get the final book where all these problems are fixed.

I want to know when I can get the GM screen, and I'm hoping beyond hope that it's laid out horizontally rather than vertically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Drakkenhall, more like Drakkenballs

• Locked thread