Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.
Yeah, 'lores' or whatever is the final, release version, so use that. Also remember to download the monk playtest in case one of your kids wants to punch things!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

We've got a bit of confusion going on in IRC - do Sorcerers have spells per day, or do they simply 'know' 4 spells at level 1, for instance, that they can use at any time?

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

Oh okay, thanks. It was mostly the wizard having to prepare that confused me, I guess.

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

I'm throwing together a Psion class! It's still in its early stages, but I was wondering if anyone could give me some critiques/advice. Like, is anything about its class features or talents inherently broken? Do its abilities seem fun? Do its powers seem to fit the whole brain wizard image?

(I'm also a little concerned it might be bordering on a literal brain wizard, as in being too similar to the existing Wizard class. Combat-wise I'm aiming for a playstyle centering around control, possibly sacrificing damage to do so.)

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

Brother Entropy posted:

I think the idea is so you only have to roll once to succeed, 4E kinda had that problem where forcing an enemy to attack one of their allies usually required a roll against the enemy and then the enemy rolling against their ally, giving you two chances to fail, discouraging the cool flavor of getting the enemies to do your work for you.

Yeah, this was the idea behind that decision, I felt like forcing the player to roll twice for the attack was too punishing and they'd just take the much easier to use but less flavorful Mental Jolt.

Although guaranteed hits kind of defeats the purpose of the AP bonuses. :downs: I guess I might turn that into a small die of extra damage or something.

quote:

Anyway, just doing a quick skim, Charming Suggestion seems really useful for a Feature, I think it'd fit better as a Talent. I don't understand what 'Suggestion background' means for the Suggestion talent. Telekinetic Strikes should either be a Feature or excised; being allowed to use your primary stat to attack is a non-choice in 4e and it feels like a non-choice in 13A.

I was mostly comparing Charming Domination to the rogue's Trap Sense, but yeah, it's probably a bit too general for a Feature. I couldn't really figure out what to call the 'Suggestion' background, but it's intended to be just any diplomacy/bluff/intimidate thing; I'll try to clarify that (or maybe scrap Charming Domination and let Suggestion do the work). I'm not sure what I'd want to do with Telekinetic Strikes, I mostly wanted to offer a more damage-oriented melee playstyle, but that DOES seem like a non-choice and goes against my intent for the class.

RyvenCedrylle posted:

Something you did here that I think is really important is create a conceptual 'space' for the class to live in the game world. By that I mean it's not just enough for a class to have non-combat abilities, but that those abilities do something that justifies the class's existence. Message, Ectoplasmic Shaping and Mirror Image do that well. I might turn the Anguish and Ecstasy feat from 12+ to 14+ since messing with stats has a pretty wide ripple effect. The rest of the powers look good so far.

As long as we're on the topic of sharing classes, here's a Battle Captain y'all can use until the official one shows up.

Yeah I wanted it to have some really flavorful and unique things (I figured wizards would have a mirror images spell but they didn't, surprisingly).

That Battle Captain is really neat, I especially like the Support Staff talent.

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

Yeah, Bards have a ton of debuffing powers, and if your DM is okay with it you could potentially trade some of your talents/powers for other classes'. It's not as needed for a Bard because of Jack of Spells, but yeah.

It's more important to remember that you can reflavor any class in any way with very little effort.

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

Yeah I might be in, it'll be my first live game though. Sending you an email now.

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

Mystic Mongol posted:

But crits are amazing and a 1 isn't significantly worse than a 5.

Howabout Even: +4, odd: -4? Or plus/minus escalation die.

Unless you make 1 significantly worse than 5. :unsmigghh:

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

The way I read the rule it's supposed to be like rolling a 6 or less in Dungeon World; your intended effect doesn't happen and you also get something else that is overall detrimental.

Maybe if a caster rolls a 1 it gives an enemy they really don't want to be engaged with a chance to engage them. Maybe it means the fighter trips and falls flat on their rear end (Stuck would probably work to imitate being knocked prone pretty well). Maybe it means their swing misses so badly they accidentally hit an ally. There's all sorts of nasty stuff that can happen on a fumble, it's just up to your DM's imagination/mood/cruelty.

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

Hey guys, remember that Psion I was working on a while ago? Well I never finished it. :downs:

But I did just finish my first full draft of The Scholar and I was wondering if I could get some feedback on it. The numbers almost certainly need tweaking and some of the options are probably hideously overpowered, and I'm worried some of might just be kind of lame in general.

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

Hashtag Yoloswag posted:

Hey guys, remember that Psion I was working on a while ago? Well I never finished it. :downs:

But I did just finish my first full draft of The Scholar and I was wondering if I could get some feedback on it. The numbers almost certainly need tweaking and some of the options are probably hideously overpowered, and I'm worried some of might just be kind of lame in general.

I'd still love to get some critiques on this, it kind of got buried in the whole necromancer backlash. :shobon:

I'd like to publish it to the Vault at some point, but I'm not confident that it's at a point where it should be published.

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

lenoon posted:

What would actively fix the martial classes at this point? I've got a new player wanting to roll a barbarian. Am I better off leaving it as it is in the book, giving them the ability to inflict status conditions (weakened, stuck, etc etc) as I've jury rigged it now, or doing something more radical?

I'm tempted to just up the damage dice to something ridiculous like a d20.

Edit: on that note am I remembering right that someone in this thread put together a magic archer class (want to say a seeker?)?

It's not a complete fix, but the stunt system helps to give martials something else to do.

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

My only Monk complaints now, at a glance, are the ability score band-aid (seriously, either give them something similar to the druid's choice or just make them dex primary/wis secondary) and that Drunken Style is a deadly secret.

e: Also that they apparently removed Zealous Student instead of expanding it with ki support etc. :argh:

Hashtag Yoloswag fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Feb 19, 2014

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

I was raving about it on IRC last night, but Theurge looks awesome and I can't wait to try it out.

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

Pretty sure it's one quick to switch weapons, and no, not really unless you want to wear weaker armor for some kind of flavor reason.

e: You could also rework Rapid Reload to make swapping a free action, maybe, since I'd guess approximately nobody actually uses it (or has reason to use it).

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

Theurge question: if you take Disruptive Casting at level one, do you drop the damage dice to just your ability modifier (thus making it incompatible with Mass Enchantment until level 2)?

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

Evil Mastermind posted:

Oh man thanks so much for this. I need to make level pregens for the next season of organized play and this makes my life much easier.

Speaking of which, dumb question: is there a stat cap? I'm making a dwarf fighter right now and I just realized I can get his Con up to 21.

I think the only limitation is you can't start at level 1 with more than 20 in a single stat.

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

Desert Terrain Stunt: Pocket Sand.

Maneuvers would probably be better, since you end up not really having options per terrain type.

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

Yeah, terrain-themed would be pretty neat (although it's easy to make a ranger with no sort of natural connection too).

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

-Fish- posted:

You could also borrow 4e Dark Sun's weapon breakage rules. Roll a 1, run out of ammo.

To keep it from being purely punitive, add in Zeitgeist's rule for gun failure, which causes a big puff of smoke to envelop you, giving you concealment (so I guess just translate that to +2 to all defenses USONT or something).

Also, I definitely agree with Lord Frisk; your best bet is to probably make Bullets similar to command points or ki if you want it to be a tracked resource, or just give the class a set of encounter powers that would mimic that system.

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

I think we can agree it's a pretty good talent regardless of how recharging works because it's pretty much Vance's but better. :v:

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

Yeah, it reads to me like they had that little "argument" in the sidebars, then the glossary was written later.

And I agree with djw, recharges after each battle is pretty much the only way to make the barbarian playable.

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

I think most people hate MAD just because it's such a strange and awkward relic, even if it's not terribly crippling here (especially since Monks get a second class ability bonus for free). It would still be nice if they just keyed off Dex, but whatever.

ProfessorCirno posted:

The main thing I remembered that hurt monks damage wise was their forms; at their opening they did less damage then basically every other fightan' class, at their midway point they did slightly less, and at their finisher they did two handed weapon damage, then went back to opener, which gave them a medium damage that was less then most other fightan' classes.

I want to say they went back and made a few openers use d8 and a few middle forms use d10s as well as the improvements mentioned above.

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

waderockett posted:

Simon has a new post on the Pelgrane blog, with a behind-the-scenes look at the creation of the Shadows Over Eldolan adventure cover. It's nice to see the art, but it's also valuable insight for artists who want to break into the fantasy illustration business. He starts with the artist selection process, and walks through the creative brief and the rounds of review and feedback from various stakeholders.

In case you haven't heard of Shadows Over Eldolan.

This is really awesome, thanks for posting it. My skill level isn't anywhere near that but this is something I want to get into eventually, so it's cool to see the process step-by-step.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

Jackard posted:

I can't get over that goofy-looking zombie, it was better as a silhouette.

e: or the lamplighter staring blankly into space instead of turning her head to look at what she is doing

Yeah there's definitely some off things with it (I'm not real fond of the coloring of the flame) but eh. :v:

• Locked thread