Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Applied for the playtest yesterday. *crosses fingers*

No one has said anything to the contrary, so I assume the traditional six ability scores are still in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Without seeing the rules, I'd rather they err on the side of caution for multiclassing. I'd rather have to houserule in changes to make it worthwhile than to figure out some kludge to make staying single classed seem desirable.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Are there warlord-like abilities in the playtest? Either as the actual class or as abilities for the fighter?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

I think his point is that using d6s as d3s is possible but still feels slightly clunky in play. It's fine to use on occasion, but it'd be annoying to use frequently.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

'Cause it's designed for children up to age 13, just like 4e. :v:

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Can we not turn yet another thread into grognards.txt? I get that people have bad opinions about things, but I don't need to hear about it in every thread here.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

We could talk about Heinsoo and Tweet's previous games. There are already threads for Everway and 4e, but there are others they've done.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

I'm fine with there being separate classes for simple and complex options as long as there's one of each for every archetype - i.e. I don't mind a simple barbarian if I can play the more complex fighter as a barbarian with simple reskinning. Having knobs to dial complexity up and down within a given class is obviously fine too.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Are the non-combat features of the martial classes different enough that it'd be hard to just reskin them based on which combat mechanics you like the best?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

I obviously haven't seen the rules, but it almost sounds like an optional lifepath system would be cool here as a tool to help players flesh out their skills. Make each step have branching paths that the player can choose either deliberately or randomly at their discretion. You could even tie these Icons into it.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Also they should be called berserkers, barbarian signifies a culture not an occupation :colbert:

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

I'll be curious to see how momentum works in play, since I could see players gaming the system by hoarding powerful limited use attacks until the after a few rounds in order to get an attack bonus, which might actually make combat last longer under certain situations.

Because you track it by flipping over a die each turn. You can use dice without rolling them. :)
VVVVVV

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

No, but I did. I meant to say escalation.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

I don't think it's unreasonable for them to value independent playtesting and controlling what gets leaked over building hype at this stage.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

You may not know that Tweet was behind the 3e version of Gamma World (aka Omega World) as published in Dungeon/Polyhedron. It brought us the first usage of reserve points, which were basically the first step toward healing surges and reducing the role of Clerics as walking first-aid stations.

Basically Jonathan Tweet owns and not just because we share an awesome first name.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

I'm pretty sure that failing is part of the definition of a heartbreaker.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

What's funny is that alignment in D&D started out basically as an allegiance-type system. You had Law vs. Chaos, but it was just jerseys against black jerseys and didn't really specify actual behavior.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

To be fair, part of the filesharing is likely due to WotC massively screwing up the playtest launch.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Can anyone talk about how the Icon relationship dice actually work in play?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

moths posted:

I don't think I'd have Gone There with the MMO and "feel of DND" talk, but I'm also not in the business of making money.

Neither are most RPG companies! Oh ho ho! :stat: :wal:

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Winson_Paine posted:

No, I just live there and it is rad as hell.

I think you know what this means - 2013 is the inaugural year of WinsonCon!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

At this point it should be called 14th Age :v:

• Locked thread