Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

I just discovered this thread and consequentially this game today, and I have to admit I'm immensely intrigued. I absolutely love 4e but I'll be the first to admit there are things which need major improvement in it. At the current state of playtesting, would it be easy to recreate a 4e character such as a Barbarian or the Hexblade?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

My group and I are completely in love with this system as of the current playtest. Can't wait to see more classes, the design behind these is incredible.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

If I'm reading this correctly, I just broke something and broke it bad. Can't wait for NDA to lift so I can see if anybody else caught it.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

How Broke? Like Extra die of damage broke or full scale "Infinite Oregano" bad?

A bit of each.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

So guys my wife sent me a text and instead of 'ice cream bars' it said 'ice cream bard' and now I wanna do a 13th Age game in the setting of popular cartoon "Adventure Time".

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Did anyone else notice that can do over a hundred dice of damage, some of which is ongoing, on a crit with the aid of a cleric by level 10?

A cleric with the War/Leadership domain and level 9 Bull's Strength can grant a rogue an extra 6d10 damage against a particular target.

A Rogue with these benefits will have 10d8+7d12 for melee damage at level 10 with Improved Sneak Attack, can double that and the bonus damage from the Cleric if she used Shadow Walk the previous turn, if she rolled a natural even she adds 10d4 ongoing, and if the creature was bloodied and she rolls 16 or higher she automatically crits. This turns 10d8+7d12+6d10 and 10d4 into 40d8+28d12+24d10 and 10d4 ongoing.

I'm aware standard process for crits and the like is to simply roll and multiply rather than roll lots of dice, but either way the result is the same.

Compare the average damage of am optimized Rogue crit to any high level monster in the bestiary, I'll wait.

I am really enjoying this playtest.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Got to play again last night, everyone had a really good time. Playing at level 2, the rogue consistently did 50-120 damage every time she hit. Played a cleric, not a lot of enjoyment to be had during your turn as a cleric in this iteration of the class. Watching the rest of the party do crazy poo poo and pump out huge numbers because of me mostly makes up for it though. Excited to see what's in store for the updated version!

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Mystic Mongol posted:

This seems a little high. What was going on?

This guy right here got it in one.

RSIxidor posted:

I'm mostly guessing here since I don't actually know the system, but just going off of notes from around the net, maybe it was expanded crit on bloody feature + disappear for double damage feature + extra sneak attack. He also said the Cleric was giving bonuses too, so I assume a Cleric spell or two was in the mix as well, increasing the damage some more.

When she hit things, they died. I'm fairly certain there wasn't a single monster that she attacked that didn't all but explode.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Your overall damage is the same since you can't attack for a turn, but being invincible for a turn is a nice tradeoff for doing something that doesn't directly effect your overall damage.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Just downloaded the new PDF. Bwahahaha! poo poo, Clerics got even more awesome. It's like this kickass, easier to play version of the Runepriest from 4e. Invocations are the best new thing.

It seems like they removed d12 weapons though. Are they still in the book and I'm just missing them?

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

As of yesterday I'm starting a 13th Age game in the setting of the Adventure Time cartoon, during a period when the "Mushroom War" is still fresh in the memory of a few people and the rise of magic is still a new thing. Anyone have any idea what Icons I should use beyond characters like Bubblegum Princess, Ice King, and the Fire King?

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

fosborb posted:

I'm curious about this in general, and Adventure Time is as good as any setting to explore it: what about the Land of Ooo as an Icon?

Major setting elements, rather than specific people and their organizations, might lend an air of magical realism which would be really helpful in a lot of settings. (I'm looking at you, Zelda).

This is a fantastic idea and I'm totally doing it.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Played in a game of 13th Age last night, we had converted our characters from an older never-finished 4e campaign a few weeks ago. Really hitting our stride with the new system, DM is writing up his own monsters and inventing new mechanics for us to tinker with. Key this game was new magic items (my cleric's weapon could turn into a number of huge weapons, including one the DM made up called a "siegehammer") and a Stunt system (tag a minor action onto a standard action to accomplish something extra with your turn).

Using the stunt system the Dragonspawn used his cold breath to cause a Yochol to revert from gaseous form back to solid, Sorceror disrupted a ritual. We rescued a Drow NPC/Former-PC from a group of eeeeeevil Drow who wanted to "Re-educate" him, they had him trapped in a big ball of light as a prison. Cleric of Tempus figures a ball is a ball no matter what, uses the siegehammer to invent megagolf and breeze through a few enemy drow before they decide to deactivate the prisonball.

Good game overall. I am enjoying this pre-release.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Alright, just got the okay to post this. He was considering pitching it to Pelgrane, but figured there was no harm in sharing with the goons.

Stunts are a thing you do during combat to make things more interesting and deal with terrain or corner-case instances.

You define a Stunt as a quick action (like Loquacious Multisyllabic Casting) and attach it to the environment (an object, a space, etc). The Stunt can then be executed like a Flexible Attack on a roll of (16-Escalation) or higher. A stunt will generally produce one of the following effects (though additional effects will still be considered):

Maximize damage on an attack
Add one Background to a single attack roll or one defense against the next attack
Create a (save ends) condition – can be mechanical (Dazed, Weakened) or strictly narrative

Basically, declare a stunt as a swift action before you spend a standard. On your standard action, if your attack hits and the d20 is equal to or higher than 16 minus the escalation dice, the stunt is successful. If the standard action has no attack roll, just roll a d20 with the same rules as previous. If attack fails, the stunt doesn't happen.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

RyvenCedrylle posted:

I've done something like this for monsters and would consider it if the PCs ever asked - I give some monsters "6-" abilities, such that if they miss, they salvage their attack as a parry or as energy to be tapped into for the next action, etc. My players just do so much damage on missed attacks that I haven't bothered bringing it up.

I too have played a little Dungeon World and FATE but I feel more of my inspiration is coming from the newest iteration of Margaret Weis' Marvel RPG.

ONE player does a lot of damage on a miss. The rest of us do level damage on a miss.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Some monster material by our very own Ryven Cedrylle in this month's Page XX! http://www.pelgranepress.com/?p=8597

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Doing an interest check for a friend. For those of you who tried the worldbreakers from the At-Will Blog in your 4e games, how interested would you be in seeing them brought back to life in 13th Age?

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Is there any room left to pitch in on Awful Dungeon, or is it already paid off?

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Gau posted:

drat right we are. You may have giant bug monsters, but we have TURBODRACULA. Also, Nightfall's Realmlords fit in perfectly with the existing Icon mechanics. It's gonna be awesome.

I somehow missed out on this. What is TURBODRACULA again?

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Okay, I get what race he'd be in 13A... but what class?

Edit: TURBODRACULA

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

:psyboom: Is there any place I can view the character sheet? I must view this glory in all its... glory.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Should the Kickstarter exceed the Occultist stretch goal, do you guys have anything else planned as stretch goals?

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

I love this game and I love making content for games that I love so I'm making some classes. Expect to see a rough draft of them by next week, they're the Eldcaller and the Heartbinder. Much props to my friends Quinn and Ryven who brainstormed with me to get the base mechanics for them ironed out. Class names may be subjet to change.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

So, some of you might remember worldbreakers from the At-Will blog way back in the glory days of 4e. Well, Quinn Murphy asked me to post this early draft of the first 13th Age worldbreaker here for you guys to enjoy. :)

https://docs.google.com/document/d/16Ru0p4BbysZg0_JMCmXFY5aMPpn1UNyV-ahUCg2u2N4/edit#heading=h.q9p164tk9zq4

Enjoy, guys!

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Ooof. Just noticed the cleric's best feature got the axe in the most recent escalation edition. They can't save to keep their daily spells when the Escalation Dice is 2+ any more.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Rogues finally got reeled in a bit. This is a good update.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Mystic Mongol posted:

They weren't supposed to do so much damage? Darn, looks like I'm scaling back on the martial artist, then.

I guess they decided that the potential to triple-kill anything ever in a single hit was a bit much.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

This guy has been converting Pathfinder, 4e,and 3.5 stuff into 13th Age. Player options, monsters, etc. All pretty good and worth a look: http://13persuasions.blogspot.com/?m=1

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Just finished scratching together a conversion of the 4e Assassin with Ryven Cedrylle. Rather than wholly reinventing the wheel we did it as a series of Rogue options, and it turned out ridiculously well. Once I've cleaned up the wording and format plus written some fluff it'll be ready to share with you guys.

Edit: Enjoy, my friends. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GWrI_uORFoBHnRDZP9dEQ8LBUW_ieS0JKeiJbxwoE4Y/edit

-Fish- fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Dec 12, 2012

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

So just finished a game tonight using a map layout like this:

(DM and I shamelessly stole the idea from a post on G+)
Map shamelessly stolen from Chrono Cross.

I've gotta say, this is the perfect touch for 13th Age for myself as well as the rest of the group. Makes it easier for the DM to design encounters with interesting terrain without them having to invent any odd movement rules to support them. This in turn makes it way more fun for the players, who can gain an extra level of narrative input into their actions and more inspiration if you're using the Stunt System posted in one of the resource documents that Pelgrane has hosted. During combat the cleric turned his weapon into something known only as a "siegehammer" and used a mighty blow to collapse part of the mini valley seen at the bottom of the map in on several enemies, hampering them with a (save ends) effect. Can't wait to start using them in my game as well!

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

New goonmade material! The Improv Monster Toolkit by Ryven Cedrylle, a cheat sheet for creating fun and challenging monsters. I've put a couple whole sessions together with thus in under fifteen minutes, and my players had a blast!
http://www.thoughtcrimegames.net/improv-monster-toolkit-for-13th-age/

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Is anybody here planning on attending Pax East? I spent some time chatting with Wade and Ash earlier today about running sessions/demos at PaX East, and I bet I won't be the only person there willing to run a few sessions.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Also, in awesome news there's a new official playable race written by yours truly on today's Page XX.

http://www.pelgranepress.com/?p=9859

Edit: Oh yeah, and I guess Ryven wrote something too.http://www.pelgranepress.com/?p=9848

-Fish- fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jan 30, 2013

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

GrandpaPants posted:

YES! After my post and a night of sleep, I thought it was something like that, but I also thought that was a Magic card so I got myself confused. Are there still plans to make this into a supplement? I guess the guy is probably waiting for 13A to actually come out, but it was still an idea that I instantly latched onto.

Those are the work of lurkers Quinn Murphy and Ryven Cedrylle. They've got one up so far and they're both have more slated, but Quinn has a full plate and Ryven is working on some super secret project for Pelgrane so they've been moved to the back burner last I heard.

That said, here's the first 13th Age Worldbreaker: Etherkai the Nightmare Dragon!

http://www.thoughtcrimegames.net/worldbreaking-the-13th-age-etherkai-the-nightmare-dragon/

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Ran the 5th session of my Hangout game last night, finally got around to recording one.

Players are Ryven Cedrylle and my wife, playing a Werewolf Warden(Paladin) and Human(Wood Elf) Bladesinger.

http://youtu.be/X054jyWtGk4

I chose to record this one in particular because I spent several hours altering Chrono Trigger sprites for my players and monsters. Maps are taken from Chrono Trigger as well. Our particular campaign rips offborrows heavily from The Elder Scrolls.

-Fish- fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Mar 3, 2013

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

QuinnMurphy posted:

Just a slight clarification here: Worldbreakers are my creation. As a good friend, Ryven is privy to first thoughts out of my head and has done a lot of playtesting work, but the creative management of Worldbreakers (as well as it's currently stalled status) is on me. I hate to be prickly about this, but that really is my thing. Ryven does a ton of awesome stuff that is almost all him --Serious Skills, Powerless not Penniless, his monster work on 13th age-- but WB is something I created and made all the major decisions on.

My bad on that, thought it was a joint project due to the number of worldbreakers that Ryven used in Zane a few years back. :downswords:

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

GlazedMcGuffin posted:

Is there any ETA on a pdf of 13 True Ways? I'm thinking about piecing together a Dark Sun conversion for my group, and the more info to play with the better. :3:

I'm actually working on one of those for my own group. Shoot me an email if you'd like to collaborate on anything, shiniba at gmail.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

My players did chargen for our Dark Sun game this afternoon, came up with some good OUTs.

Anti-Defiling Aura (Defiling is less effective around her)
Marked by the Dragon (Unknowingly helped The Dragon, now has an indelible magic tattoo proclaiming she belongs to him).
History Teller (Tells events from Athasian ancient history which he has no means of knowing, remembers them as if he read them from a book).

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

I'm on my way down there right now, and Ryven Cedrylle is already there. I believe he'll be at Games on Demand most of the weekend. I probably won't be far off from there, we should both have 13th Age shirts on as soon as we hook up with Tobias to get our game swag. I forget who else is running.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

animaCartographer posted:

Cartwright: "What if I use my transform ability to turn into a bag of money the size of me, get confiscated, thrown into the money room, grab all the money I can possibly hold, and then use teleportation to get out?"
GM: *stares somewhat blankly for a moment* "Let me see your character sheet."
The GM reads the transformation spell throughly, all while Cartwright elaborates on how it would work.
GM: "One second."
The GM gets up, walks over to another table two tables down, and begins talking to another GM who was also running 13th age. This entire time our table is roaring with laughter. After a minute, the GM returns.
Cartwright: "I am so sorry."
GM: "It's fine really, let's continue."

As the other GM mentioned here, let me fill in this unfortunate missing section of the history of this session.

RyvenCedrylle: Dude! Dude! My players are going through the Dunixius adventure and they used Transform to turn into a bag of gold to raid the vault.
-Fish-: Dude! That's freaking awesome!
RyvenCedrylle: I know!

• Locked thread