Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I wonder if they allow PbP playtesting or if their NDA is against it. Cause I would sure play in a PbP game or two of this if it was the former.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Is there a Goblinoid Civilization Age? Best thing about Eberron.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
As a laugh, have a thread for this game on TheRPGSite:

http://www.therpgsite.com/showthread.php?t=22257

Haha. Those guys.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
How's the Quadratic/Linear issue dealt with? Is it?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Evil Mastermind posted:

That thread is magical.

e: Someone buy Peregrin an account.

Yeah, I have no idea what the hell he's doing on that site.

Mikan posted:

I was right! I think I need to go lie down for a while or beat up dudes in Warriors Orochi 3.

It's cool to learn they got an enthusiastic playtest response but I would like Pelgrane a lot more if they weren't being nice to those idiots on therpgsite

They're a business. They probably need to be nice to everyone, when in Official Pelgrane mode. Poor bastards.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Mikan posted:

Don't read that thread. I mean it.

My name is Mikan and I've posted the worst grognards and I wish I hadn't read that thread.

I might be jaded, but my reaction was just

Megazver posted:

Haha. Those guys.

With a bit of relief that their opinions are worth jack poo poo.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Personally, I think having a couple of dead-simple classes for the players who just don't want to bother with the fiddly bits is a good thing, as long as there's more complex classes.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Rexides posted:

But that's the argument that led to the 3E Fighter.

What if I want to play a barbarian because I just read Conan, but I also like complexity? What if I want to play a wizard but I am a new player?

I think we have gone over this in the 5E thread already.

Edit: I hope that the reason the Barbarian does not have the "turn on complexity" switch is because it hasn't been designed yet, not because it's destined to be the low-effort class.

Well, my preferred solution would be to have a 'simple class' for each of the major stereotypes, but also a more complex one, all balanced in power with one another. It would be nice to just be able to 'turn on complexity' to achieve that but having Barb and, say, Sorcerer be the simple ones alongside the more complex Fighter and Wizard is acceptable to me. In my experience 'knobs' are more prone to wonkiness than separate classes.

But yeah, I am sorry. I haven't read the 5E thread. (Makes me sad.)

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
So do Fighters get less Skills than, say, Wizards?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Mikan posted:

Which is one of my issues with things so far, there is no reason for background disparity except D&D tradition. Other classes get 10 or 12.

Yeah, Fighters getting less skills has always been kinda bull. Hope you send them feedback about it!

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
So what's the setting like, in general non-NDA-scary terms?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Evil Mastermind posted:

I think the biggest issue with having such a wide spread of points per class is coming up with things to spend them on, especially since you're not going to want any overlap between your skills. If my rouge has "member of the Dungeonville thieve's guild", taking "street urchin" will wind up being kind of redundant. Likewise, if I have "member of the thieve's guild" and "grew up on a farm", there's really not much else I feel I can effectively add to that.

Maybe a narrower spread of points between the classes would help; it's hard to say without seeing people making characters.

(On the subject of Fate, it kind of reminds me of when my friends and I played Spirit of the Century, where you get 10 Aspects; once you got past the obvious ones for your character it got harder and harder to come up with new ones, and by the time they got to the last two people were pretty much out of ideas.)

Yeah, in my experience five Cliches/Aspects for these games is about right.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Laphroaig posted:

I agree. They talk about suffering a "campaign loss" and while I understand what that means it could be fleshed out more wholly into the Icon system. Right now, the DM sets the consequences for success and failure, but I agree that putting such concerns into the players hands sets them up with a certain amount of agency.

Setting the stakes works best with some form of over-arcing Adventure Goal, I feel. You can call it a quest or whatever. Right now, 13th Age is set up "For Experienced DMs only". Basically, discrete mechanics to handle what is traditionally a DM call might fly in the face of that. I think they have flexibility with calling it an optional rule however. Its definitely worth suggesting a formed system.

Anyway we are not under NDA when it comes to discussing things completely not in the playtest so we can discuss our visions.

Maybe crib the Fronts from Apocalypse World?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Evil Mastermind posted:

Did you post this somewhere else? I know I've seen this somewhere before. (It is also very cool).

I posted that recently in the Indie thread. It's the resolution table from FU RPG and Inspectres.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

moths posted:

I kind of wish the Lich King had a good side that made him morally unfathomable. Zombie-skeletons will enforce his brutal tyranny, but it's a compassionate tyranny where everyone prospers and has a full, long, wonderful life. Then they join the Lich King's army and spread the utopia at spear-point. He's waited like 12 ages for his master plan - to him, a peasant's lifespan is like you or I waiting for a microwave burrito.

Actually that just makes him a wonderful guy.

I imagine that's feedback they want sent to them.

• Locked thread