Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm curious how easy/hard it'll be to add/remove stuff without breaking balance. Will it be easier than 4e to add classes, for instance?

E: Also, I just want to say that this rough sketch of The Priestess:

is Amano as gently caress! I'd love to see more of this, because it's just :allears:

QuantaStarFire fucked around with this message at 18:15 on May 27, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Laphroaig posted:

you do not need to make 1-30 levels of various powers.

That's basically the thing that I was wondering about. I'm thinking the best design approach for a class would be to start with the simplified version and then start incorporating more complex elements and choices from there.

I just want to make technomages. And kung-fu bears.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Mikan posted:

13th Age explicitly insists you change your power names to make them unique and reskin as necessary.

:swoon:

When you say "reskin", does that mean you can swap damage types and such without begging the DM, like turning a Burning Hands-type power into a stream of frigid cold?

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Mikan posted:

Gonna go ahead and announce this since it's getting close.

Like the 5e playtest last week, I'm going to run a public 13th Age IRC playtest for a ridiculous amount of hours. It will be Thursday, June 7 starting around Noon central. I want to emphasize the NDA is still in place and I am running this with the express permission of Pelgrane Press and Fire Opal Media.

If you want to watch, and maybe even get a chance to participate, join #AllDayPlay and #ADPCommentary on synirc. I'm also talking about it on twitter @tablehop. Like last time I'll run it for around 10 hours with a few small breaks, cycle in new players, showcase the system and then eventually post a game log on my website.

I am looking forward to enjoying this playtest (either directly or vicariously). :)

What classes are in the playtest?

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Mikan posted:

I should have pregens for all of them, and I'm hoping to have multiples along for classes that can play differently. I'm trying to highlight different cool mechanics and options. Which classes actually show up in the playtest will depend on player choices, though.
I was thinking more of what classes were available in the core game. I'm kind of hoping to make a sorcerer character when the game launches.

quote:

I guarantee the Fighter will be more interesting than the Fighter in the thing I recently ran.
I'm betting the previous Fighter was the most interesting and versatile class ever in that thing you recently ran and stole the spotlight from everyone. :v:

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Pre-orders are up. :3

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I have a question regarding shipping costs. Why does it cost double to ship to Canada compared to the US? Seems odd to me, considering the geography (and being Canadian :canada:).

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Simon Rogers posted:

It's a fair question.

At the risk of being facetious, because it costs twice as much to ship from the US to Canada as it does internally. In fact, it can cost more than double. We subsidise shipping slightly.

While we would love, love you to get the pre-order (we get nearly six times as much from every sale, and it means we can do better production values) we understand that people might want to wait until the book is out in the stores. We also love the stores, so there you go.

Oh, it won't stop me; I just wanted to try and save :10bux:. :shobon:

Thanks for the info. :D

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Evil Mastermind posted:

You guys really need to work this into the game somehow.

In the example of play that every RPG book has, have one of the player say "I am enjoying this game."

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Overemotional Robot posted:

Oh poo poo this would actually work really well in this system.

How so? In general concept (adventuring to different dungeons to collect macguffins to defeat a bad guy and collect a sacred relic), or actually adventuring in Hyrule? Because Hyrule as a setting seems horribly idealistic no matter which game you try to base it off of, where everyone but Ganon is a good guy. I mean, there's certainly Icons, but they all get along with each other pretty well as far as I can tell.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Mystic Mongol posted:

So? You've got a single good guy icon, and several other factions, all of whom have fallen into darkness. Their lands are full of monsters, their faction heads are deeply distrustful of outsiders, and the whole place isn't doing well. But by clearing the dungeon completing the adventure, the icon is saved and becomes friends with the good guys once again. By the end of the campaign, hyrule is united against the real evil behind it all.

Then you bounce energy bolts back at the end boss with a master sword.

That works. I was under the impression that the Icon system centred around them wanting to kill each other, which doesn't mesh particularly well with the Zelda games.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

moths posted:

If only there were 33 pages of thread that just did that just now!

I'm gonna guess :effort:

Seriously though, I have to agree that the OP could use some sprucing up, especially since there's no more NDA shenanigans to worry about and pre-orders are up. It's a lot easier to get people interested in parting with their money when they can get all the pertinent information they need to make an informed choice in an effortpost or two.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Coolness Averted posted:

Will those of us who ordered the escalation edition have a chance to update our shipping address before things ship?
I know I might be moving before then, but wanted in on the escalation edition and preorder hype.

I have the same concern, though I assume we just e-mail support about it.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Or the immortality could just be the "I never age, but can still die an unnatural death via violence" thing.

But that might be more boring.

I have a character in a 4E campaign with this kind of immortality. He has a spellscar that basically prevents him from staying dead; when he does die, he eventually resurrects an indeterminate amount of time later with a fractured memory. He can recall bits and pieces of various events that have happened over the last 100 years, though he's spent many of those years being dead, and each death creates holes in his memories and experiences. He spends each life trying to find a way to die permanently, and has been killed in a variety of fashions. He's currently a Monk in his present life.

*shrug* I think it's an interesting character trait.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Etherwind posted:

13th Age: Torment.

I still haven't played Planescape:Torment. I've heard it's awesome though.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Vanadium posted:

I'm kinda wondering why this is necessarily a bad thing. Won't it save you production and shipping costs if your books sell but you don't even have to print them?

I'm sure your FLGS would absolutely love to lose business because they never received books.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
So Last Stand is Tabletop Monster Hunter? That sounds amazing.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Simon Rogers posted:

I've obviously hit some kind of trigger word with "narrative" so by all means chose another neutral adjective.

I am enjoying this grogmine. :allears:

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

moths posted:

So what exactly is wrong with single turn buffs, self-buffs, or icons that aren't statted out? I think these are all great things and really can't see how anyone would have a legitimate problem with any of that.

Icons without stats are immortal, even if it's explicitly mentioned that they're just really powerful and influential mortals.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Evil Mastermind posted:

I could go on, but I won't. I will say, however, I eagerly away the 13th Age TOME he'll write to "fix" the "problems" with the game.

Will it include 30,000 varieties of fungus? It drat well better, or I'll be upset. :colbert:

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm curious what the con plans are for 13th Age. Gencon is obvious, but are there any other events in the cards?

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

LongDarkNight posted:

Kill them all. For having fun.

This is the only way to play roleplaying games. :rolldice:

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I wasn't able to pledge anything to the Kickstarter. Is the expansion book going to go on actual sale? I don't want to miss out. :ohdear:

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Unfortunately, I won't have money until the end of the month.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of pre-orders, when are non-backers going to get a chance to order 13 True Ways? I was moving when the Kickstarter was going, so all my money was tied up in getting that over with. :(

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
:aaaaa:

I've been hoping for something like this to come along. Gonna have to talk with the owner of the LGS about it next time I see him.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

waderockett posted:

13th Age will be available for purchase at Gen Con. Unless the printing facility burns down. Or the world runs out of oil, requiring us to ship via caravan through marauder-infested wastelands.

Given all the other setbacks so far, should we expect any/all of these to happen? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I got mine on Wednesday. It looks glorious. Yay Canada, I guess. :p

• Locked thread