Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

You can pay $10 and get Gnomoria and a mystery game as well. Great deal.

I got Gnomoria and payed the tenner, so I got the Geneforge Saga ($10 bought you, as of yesterday, Gnomoria and the next game released as well as the mystery game) and the mystery game was SpaceChem, so I'd imagine that hasn't changed, but I could well be wrong.

By the way, how the hell do you redeem GoG keys from this site on GoG? I'm no stranger to using outside Keys to redeem on Steam, but this is new to me and I'm rather embarrassed to admit that I can't figure it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Jordan7hm posted:

If you look at the bottom center left of the screen there's an area that says "Redeem Gift".

Or you can just use this link: https://secure.gog.com/en/redeem

e: I find it so bizare that Vogel's games are being sold for almost nothing now. He was the posterchild for indie developers pricing their games in the ~20$ range.

Thank you for filling me in. I got a response a bit earlier from someone in the Geneforge thread, but you were a lot less of a condescending prat about it.

As for the second part of your post, I agree wholeheartedly. I wanted to try those games a long time ago (Avernum series, Nethergate, Geneforge, Avadon, etc), but I thought that his prices were just asking too much. Combine that with my poverty until just recently, and I couldn't partake. Now with my improved income and the lower prices on Steam/GOG/IGS, I'm snatching them up left and right. I have every Spiderweb game available on Steam (Nethergate: Ressurection was $4 this past weekend, so I grabbed that), including the entire Geneforge Sage which I also got from an Indie bundle months ago AND have on GoG/IGS as a result of my purchase this weekend (to be fair, the one from IndieGameStand was thrown in for free because I payed $10 for Gnomoria and that included the next game they released for no extra charge, so total serendipity).

OCD and a bit of spending money is the devil's cocktail, I tell you. That said, if he were to put together a CD with ALL of his games on his website for 30 or 40 USD, I'd probably jump on that if only to help out a guy whose work I admire.

JustJeff88 fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Oct 8, 2012

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

voltron lion force posted:

Use Exult. Gives you a bunch of graphics options, a debug mode, and instant fast travel anywhere on the map. Pretty much a must have IMO.

Have they made any progress on the disappearing item bug? Exult is great, truly, but that bug can be a game-breaker, quite literally. I'm the sort of unlucky bastard who would randomly lose a plot-critical item, so I've been holding off playing for that reason. I don't want to play without Exult - VII is just too clunky without it - but I just know that some important key will get arbitrarily sucked up into the void and I'll have to start over after dozens of hours invested.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

Finally starting Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny. Been looking forward to this for years (no, I'm not sure why I kept putting it off, maybe a fear that nothing will match it afterwards). Onward to all-13s glory :black101:

I know more or less what makes a good party, what spells to take, the XP penalty on saving and to wrap up warm and carry fresh washing and cutlery (and that sort of thing). Anything else that's good to keep in mind?

I tinkered with RoA1 for a bit... unless I'm misinterpreting this, there's an experience penalty just for saving the game?! That might be the biggest dick move in the history of electronic gaming (apart from Wizardry 4, of course)

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Bouchacha posted:

I just beat Wizardry 8 and loved it. I loved that it was relatively challenging and had plenty of room for tactical thinking. The unique setting and landscapes weren't too shabby either, along with the excellent and clear UI. What should I tackle next? I'm eyeing the M&M series. I'd consider the IWD2 but thought baldur's gate 1 and IWD1 were both boring. PS:T was a masterpiece though.

I'm working on M&M 3 after being inspired by the Xeen (4&5) LP in another thread and having a ball. I'm in the early/mid game, and it's an old game that seems to really find a decent sweet spot between hand-holding modern games and brutally sadistic games like the early Wizardry series.

I've been using quite a few "gamey" tactics (no cheats per se, just using foreknowledge to get better gear and more money etc) and I still find the game challenging, but not in a "Bullshit!" type of way. It's very open-ended, which is fun but also means that you can walk into a dungeon and find out very quickly that you are in over your head... usually about the time the loading screen hits.

This on the heals of opening a tomb in a dungeon that I won't name and having a Lich wreck my poo poo in about 5 seconds.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Diogines posted:

Seeing the trailer for the remake/re-release of Shadows over Mystara gives me hunger pains. Are there any games which are like it which I have missed? Besides the Tower of Doom it is the only game of it's kind I ever played.

Could somebody link this? I adore those games. I only got to play Towers of Doom in the arcade, but a mate of mine refurbished a Shadows over Mystara cabinet and much fun was had without need for quarters. Any possibility of a re-release really gets my attention.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

So thrilled that this is coming out for PC, as I do not have any of the other systems.

I will be thinking about this every day for the next 3 months, drat it.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I genuinely hate to say this, but my enthusiasm for the new M&M is tempered by the small party size. Yes, I know that that sounds bat-poo poo insane, but in a game that is supposed to have lots of different classes, having small parties just seems cruel for explorer types like me who want to see and do everything in one play-through. I know that it is too soon to condemn, but that worries me. I actually liked being able to have 8 party members in M&M 3 (including hirelings), because I got to play with all of the toys. They trimmed it to 6 max in Xeen, but that was less of a problem as they eliminated spells that were specific to druids/rangers.

The Towers of Doom/Shadows over Mystara remake, on the other hand, has me drooling. Amazing, amazing side-scrollers.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
For me it is all about getting as much variety as possible, because I haven't really the time to do multiple runs with different parties. For example, I played partway through M&M3 recently and my base party was paladin/ranger/archer/ninja/cleric/sorcerer, and I eventually brought on the druid and knight hireling (that game has one mercenary for each class) so that I had a bit of everything. I am thinking of starting up on a Xeen run, and my party would again be paladin/archer/ninja/cleric/sorcerer, and either knight or ranger. Part of me leans towards ranger because they have spells and knights are a boring pure melee class, but there are no spells unique to druids/rangers in Xeen, so I am on the fence.

Basically, I just want to play with all of the toys. I still play a bit of EverQuest (the first one - yes it is still around), and I have the worst case of alt-itis ever noted by medical science. I want to play every class (pure melee ones less so than hybrids/casters), so I get to a highish level with one class and then start asking myself "I wonder what a <insert class I have not played yet here" would be like). Party-based RPGs do a better job of scratching that itch for me, but I will be genuinely irritated if they really do come up with 12 distinct classes, but I can only sample 1/3 of them per playthrough.

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

It feels really limiting to me when I play something like Dragon Age and the party size is only 4.

That is one thing that has kept me from playing DA, truth be told. There are only 3 *classes*, but tons of skills and options for character building, though perhaps having characters "in camp" that can be swapped in and out and level up together would help a lot. Still, I think that that game would have benefited from 5 at least. Single-player games can be easily balanced around parties of just about any size, and no game is ever the same the second time through. My favourite BGII party was PC Blade (bard kit), Jan (thief/illusionist), Edwin (Conjurer), Jaheira (fighter/druid), Anomen (fighter/cleric), and then one other wild card, because that is a party that will have access to virtually every spell and ability that exists.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Genpei Turtle posted:

They're the same. Look at the two and pick whichever looks more aesthetically pleasing to you I guess. I did the Apple II version since that's the one I actually owned as a kid, and it takes less work to fire up and go than on a C64.

If you're seriously thinking about playing Deathlord though be forewarned that it's probably the most sadistic CRPG ever created. Yes, even worse than Wizardry IV. At least that game had some twisted logic behind its puzzles. There is no dishonor in throwing it away in disgust and never picking it up again.

Genpei, since (I infer here that) you have some experience with Mac emulation, maybe you can make a suggestion. I was able to get the black and white versions of Might & Magic 1 and 2 working on Windows 7 using Mini vMac. The setup was fairly simple, but that emulator does not support later colour apps as far as I know (too old, I suppose). After a lot of work I was able to get the colourised version of M&M2 running on Basilisk 2, but for some reason M&M1 makes that emulator properly faceplant. Any suggestions (by anyone here) on how to get the B&W version of M&M1 and the colour version of Might & Magic 2 running on the same emulator - it would make things a lot simpler.

I have shopped around and looked at the various versions of M&M 1&2 for all sorts of platforms, and the Mac versions seem to be hands-down the best (full mouse support, aesthetically pleasing, relatively few bugs). I have the GOG Might & Magic 6-pack, and while 2 is not too bad, 1 is so archaic as to be unplayable. If anyone can recommend a way to streamline the process and get both games running smoothly under one emulator, I would appreciate it. I went to a lot of trouble getting Mac emulators up and running just for those two games, to be honest.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Genpei Turtle posted:

My experience with old-school Mac emulation is limited because I actually keep around an old OS9 beige G3 I used in grad school for just that purpose. I can tell you though that when it comes to Mac emulation, I've found that SheepShaver is generally the best. I ripped the BIOS from my PowerMac and play Pathways into Darkness on it a bit. It is crashy on some games and not nearly as convenient as the real thing.

Personally, I don't like the Mac version of Might & Magic 1. I actually had it in college on my old PowerMac 7100 but I hated the interface, and this is like 1994-ish so interfaces were pretty crappy back then in general. I remember that so much of it had to be done with clicks on buttons rather than keyboard shortcuts that I just got fed up. Plus it was all in black and white. I actually like the Apple version (and by extent the PC version since it's closer) better. My first time actually finishing M&M1 was with the GOG version and it was nice to be able to port my party straight into 2 that way with a minimum of hassle.

Ah, well, chacun son gout. I tried playing M&M1 with the GOG version and I found it so horridly vexing that I could not stand it. 2 as not as bad, and I think that the colour version of 2 on the Mac is genuinely very pretty. I like mouse-driven games because I like to be able to lean back in my nice chair and basically play 1-handed (insert your masturbation joke of preference here). I actually have a distaste in general for black & white anything, but M&M1 for Mac still seems the better version to me.

I looked at SheepShaver as well (fun name), but most Mac emulators seem to be limited in what "era" of games they can play. The B&W versions for the first two M&M games are old enough that they can run on Basilisk very easily, but I think that M&M1 is just too old for Basilisk, which is designed for games from the 256 colour era. Maybe SheepShaver is very versatile, but I am a little burnt out on fighting with that software right now as it took me many hours to get Basilisk 2 to run M&M2 in colour.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Thuryl posted:

I was able to play through the whole of Might & Magic 1 using Basilisk II, so compatibility problems most likely have less to do with what emulator you choose and more to do with the system software version the emulator is running. Might & Magic 1 will start to misbehave if you try to run it on anything much past early versions of System 7. If you can find a copy of System 7.1.1 on a disk image, that would be ideal (and fine for running M&M2 as well); otherwise, System 7.5.5 should work but may have some audio issues. You can also try using a different Macintosh ROM if you have more than one compatible ROM on hand, although in my experience it doesn't make that much difference.

Having said that, even if you do end up needing to use different emulators to run M&M1 and M&M2 it shouldn't be the end of the world: importing a party from M&M1 to M&M2 is a one-time thing, so you just have to make sure the disk image you're keeping your M&M1 savefile on is in a format both emulators can read and switch emulators when you're ready to play M&M2.

Thank you - this is very helpful. Basilisk is also rather easy to use as I currently have it set up so that, when I click the icon, I am right on the desktop - mini vMac requires that I load up the system disk and a few other tiny quibbles. I am going to go try and find a slightly older version of OS7 and see if that will do the job.

I believe that I am running 7.5.3 right now which cannot handle M&M1, though it runs M&M2's black and white version with no problems.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Aratoeldar posted:

Thank you very much for doing this. I used to follow the PC Gamer thread until the OP stopped giving updates similar to yours.

I also would enjoy that - I am on a massive classic RPG kick lately, and I always love hearing about older games that I missed and modern games with an old-school feel. I am really looking forward to the new Might & Magic, though I am still sad that you can only have 4 people in your party.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I hope that this is okay to talk about here: these are new titles but definitely throwbacks to a (human) generation ago... does anyone have any experience with the Class of Heroes titles? They are very Japanese-y looking games for the PSP with obvious callbacks to Wizardry and the like. I only have a 2000-series PSP/regular DS and no Vita/3DS, so finding any sort of new~ish games is a bit rough.

While there is a short thread on SA dedicated to Elminage, which is a game in a similar vein, I have not seen a lot said about these two. The vague impression I get is that the original is solid after some translation issues were worked out while the sequel, which is a relatively recent release (correct me if I am wrong and pardon the alliteration), is pretty damned excellent.

If anybody would like to chime in, please do so.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I consider the Might & Magic 1-6 pack on GOG to be the best deal currently going in gaming, though maybe not *quite* as good as the original Orange Box at $20.

I watched a long LP of M&M9, and it was pretty rubbish. That said, I still own it. May never play it, but I still own it.

PS: M&M1-6 pack comes with Swords of Xeen as well.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

pigdog posted:

I love MM6-8 and bought the 1-6 pack on GoG sale... to realize I just cannot be arsed to cope with the graphics and interface of these earlier games. :smith:

To each his own, of course, but I assume that you are referring mostly to 1 & 2 as I see no major quarrels with the rest of the package. In the case of the first two, though, I completely understand... I went to the trouble of setting up a Mac emulator to play M&M1 and 2 on that platform because they are so much better. Even though M&M1 for Mac is black and white, it has full mouse support and is actually quite attractive if you can get past the lack of colour, which is very hard for me. I would also say that the Mac version of 2 is the best of the series, but it is not nearly as night & day as the first.

I just cannot imagine not having mouse control, and I tried to play the DOS version of M&M1 from that pack... I made it roughly 3 minutes.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
If anyone is interested, the Original Exile 1-3 and Blades of Exile are now free downloads from Spiderweb's site. Don't even bother trying to run them on a 64-bit modern OS, but I have an XP virtual set up on my Win7 (64) desktop PC and they run flawlessly in that shell. If you really want to have a go at them, that would be my suggestion. I played the original Exile for a bit and I was rather dismayed to see that that game uses a 6-man party while the remakes are 4-man only - I have more fun with larger parties.

Speaking of Eschalon, I tried to get into the first one a while back and just... couldn't? Any suggestions for getting off the ground? It's been a while, but I remember getting into a few fights, getting hit a few times, and having to "rest" for half a human lifetime to get my HP back. RPG's like this tend to be less than new-player friendly, so some pointers for newbs would not go amiss.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Big Mad Drongo posted:

I got into Spiderweb games from a dial-up AOL keyword site in the mid-90's. Dude's literally been doing this for decades, starting long before cheap mainstream indie games were a common occurence, so it's not surprising he took a while to change his tune.

As a big fan, I'm just happy he made the change sooner rather than later, all things considered.

Agreed. I really want to have a go at that indy game "Knights of the Chalice", because it reminds me of Warriors of the Eternal Sun from the Genesis, which is a game that I played much too much. However, the creator wants 15 British pounds for it, and since I live in North America, that comes to around 23 dollars, which is just too much for a game that could probably run on an original Playstation, if not an even older console. I am sure that he is in the same position as Vogel was at the off, but I just can't justify that expense for a game of that calibre. I hope that he is able to get his creation up on GOG and/or Steam at a less... ambitious price, sell a ton of copies, and everyone wins just like Jeff did.

There's an indy game made by a Frenchman named Charles Clerc, with whom I swapped a few e-mails some months ago, that is kind of a Wizardry clone for the PC. even though Monsieur Clerc works out of Paris, he sold the game for 14.99 US dollars originally rather than the much dearer Euro, dropping it to $10 US sometime later. It seems to have worked out well for him, as he apparently made enough dosh to start an even more ambitious sequel. Sadly, he tried to get the game on GOG and they turned him down for some reason, and I think that his work is still stuck in the mire of Greenlight on Steam. The game is called "Sword & Sorcery Underworld Gold", if memory serves.

I know that I sound cheap, but whether anything is "worth it" or not is purely a personal measure, and that's my own perspective. Your mileage may well vary.

Fake Edit: I just checked and he dropped the price to £12.50, which is about 18.88 USD by today's exchange rate. Still seems a little lofty, but better.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

dud root posted:

Because the demos are so big it had a dual effect
1) of reducing bad-experience clients. It stops them buying the game in the first place, playing for 2 hours and declaring the game sucks. And then telling all their friends the game sucks.
2) creating a very loyal fan base - Those who play the 20 hours worth of demo content become such junkies they'll fork over any price he asks.

I think its great he is seeing success & getting them get distributed in ways other than word of mouth. The early 90s years must've been tough to turn a profit.

And no mistake. That said, I am really fascinated and impressed by his dedication to keep remaking his games to keep them viable on modern OSs and keep them, by consequence, relevant. I mean, first there was Exile 1, then he remade it as Avernum 1, and then Escape from the Pit, and now he's on to reremaking Exile 2/Avernum 2... there are probably other examples, but I personally cannot think of another game that has been remade twice like that.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Face Melter posted:

You mentioned this game a few days ago. I had forgotten I purchased it, but now I'm stuck in it's Ultima-7ish-D&Dish-ness all over again. It really feels like a SNES/Genesis game. Some of the class/race restrictions initially turned me off, but after I got over it I still really enjoy playing it. Can't remember what I paid for it tho. It was at least a year ago.

I'm a glutton for excessive race/class choices. I still play NWN with the community packs for that reason. Is there anything out there with that level of excess choice? KotC is a great game, I just wish it had more customization outside of 3 races and classes.

Yes, I forgot that I mentioned it in this thread - mea culpa. Actually, a few weeks ago I bought into a 4-pack of Chronicles of Mystara on Steam with 3 other Goons. I already had a copy as I had been waiting with baited breath for it to hit Steam and bought it immediately, but I gave my extra copy to a mate of mine who had it on his Wish List. My reason for hesitating with KotC was that it is £15, which is nearly $24 in American/Canadian currency. Simply put, that is just too much, though I would have bought it for $15. Recently the creator dropped the price to £12.50, and my mate in the UK for whom I bought Mystara bought me a copy as a sort of belated birthday present, so happy ending I suppose.

For me, that game is nostalgia to the max - it reminds me of Warrios of the Eternal Sun on Genesis so much, and that is one of the few RPG's that I ever played through more than once (with the same party each time, no less). I just wanted to encourage this type of game being made - same reason I just bought that 15-game Spiderweb Humble Bundle when I already owned every game in it already between Steam and GOG.

What vexes me in this game is that there are only 3 classes/races for a 4-man party, so I cannot decide whom to have as a fourth man. Mul fighter, human cleric, half-elf mage and ???. This "imbalance" fucks with my terrible OCD.

Janissary Hop posted:

Knights of the Chalice 2 which promises much more customization and is presumably being worked on now that he finished the RTS no one cared about or wanted.

Thank you for saying what I was thinking - I have no idea why he did that project when everyone was clamouring for the sequel. He said that that project is probably 2 years from being done, so I know that I will have forgotten about the whole franchise by then.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Face Melter posted:

I usually make a Human Fighter and dedicate him to Longbows/Crossbows for the 4th. Then grab as many ranged feats as I can.
It really does scratch the nostalgia itch. Gives me Ultima flashbacks. It really does look a lot like Warriors of the Eternal Sun, sadly I never got to play that one.

I'm glad there is at least some info about KotC2, but I won't hold my breath.

That's a good idea - I think that that would be a good 4th man. I was going to make another wizard or cleric, but since clerics can use every cleric spell and mages every mage spell, having another caster is not going to open up any more variety in the game. I was thinking going half-elf for an "archer", but I guess that the -2 penalty to Strength and Con is too much to justify the +2 Dex bonus, and the +2 Int is irrelevant for non-mages as far as I can tell.

I have a bunch of Genesis classics on Amazon/Steam - Toe Jam & Earl 1 is possibly my favourite game of all time - but WotES is not among them. I still have a Sega Nomad (portable Genesis), and I am always tempted to get a copy of Warriors for that. Sadly, the Nomad drains 6 AA batteries in about 2 or 3 hours, so it's not terribly "portable."

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Sloober posted:

3 is almost the same gameplay as 4/5 as well, so no reason to skip past it to 4/5. All you have to deal with in 3 is a smaller inventory. Still, it's a good game if a bit confusing on where you have to go next.

I did not know that 4/5 had a larger inventory than 3 - that was one of my niggles with 3. How much bigger is your inventory in World of Xeen compared to Isles of Terra? I remember in Isles that you had only 2 pages but were allowed to equip a ludicrous amount of stuff, with the usual suspects of body armour, helmet, both hands, but also 4 badges/medallions, 10 rings etc.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Genpei Turtle posted:

It's more that you get a page of inventory for each equipment type than have a larger inventory in general. Functionally it definitely ends up being a significantly larger carrying capacity though.

I guess that I never played far enough into World of Xeen to see it. The irony to me is that they lowered the overall amount of stuff you can wear also (2 rings instead of 10, badges/medals down to 2 as well I think). It was literally impossible in Isles to fill every "slot" with the amount of space given to you.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

nutranurse posted:

Yeah, much to my chagrin the RoA remake is busted to hell and back. However, after SimCity (2013) I chose to never impulse buy/preorder again and it looks like I was right to not get excited over this! :smith:

Sadly, I *did* preorder this and it looks like I will have to let it hang for a while in hopes that the devs fix their mess. I'm afraid to even touch that game as, from all I have heard, it's going to be like that game Towns which I was really excited for and turned out to be unplayable - haven't even glanced at Towns since.

On the other hand, I also pre-ordered Shadowrun Returns, and that seems to be quite good. 50% success I suppose.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Jordan7hm posted:

I've only ever pre-ordered one game, and it was whatever Fallen Enchantress was called before they actually made Fallen Enchantress. Never again.

(I pre-ordered the RoTT reboot too, but that was like 2 days ago because it would have been a day 1 buy anyway.)

The thing with BoD is that there already exist a great version of BoD, which you can then transfer saves from. This reboot was stupid in the first place.

Is there another version besides the original one? If so, let me know where I can have a look at it. I have the trilogy on GOG, but if there is another one out there, I am all ears (eyes).

My history with pre-orders is spotty, and this makes me even more cautious. Still, Shadowrun seems to be going over well. I am *very* suspicious of kickstarters - there are a ton out there, but I just can't justify helping fund a game that might be made. I did pay $20 into Starbound, but they keep everyone up to date and I have no real concern that the project will tank. Ironically, I paid $20 instead of the minimum $15 to get the cute penguin forum avatar, but you wouldn't catch me dead on their forum and I even stopped following the Starbound thread here at SA. Partly it was to not think about a game that may not be out for a long time while I have plenty of other things to occupy my time, but it is mostly because the community of that game is... well, I can't think of a good term that isn't utterly profane, so I am going to call it "spergalicious"

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Forgedbow posted:

the Realms of Arkania series.

I'm going to use this as an inane segue. I pre-paid for the modern adaptation of Blade of Destiny as well as Shadowrun Returns. While Shadowrun seems to be warmly received, I've heard nothing but bad things about the new BoD... bugs, translation issues, instabilities. I am currently playing BG1 Enhanced (and don't like to play two RPG's at once) and am not in a rush, but has anyone had any first-hand experience with this? I'm really disappointed in what I've heard so far, but sadly not that surprised.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Genpei Turtle posted:

Me too, but I was also tempted to pre-order the Realms of Arkania remake as well. I doubt MMX will be quite the clusterfuck that was, but you never know...

I asked about this a few weeks ago with no response, but I'm really curious - what was so wrong with the Blade of Destiny remake? I pre-ordered both that and Shadowrun Returns and, while Shadowrun has seemed fairly warmly received, I've heard nothing but bad things about the RoA remake. Could anyone who has played it elaborate on what was so wrong about it? The press has been so bad that I have never actually installed it... have they patched it to a reasonable state, or is it still an unplayable mess? I rarely pre-order anything and this has put me off the idea even more in the future, including MMX.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

GoneWithTheTornado posted:

Avadon is actually a bit weaker than Avernum and Geneforge. It's still quite solid, but if you liked Avadon you'll almost certainly like Spiderweb's other titles.

GoneWithTheTornado posted:

The Avernum and Geneforge series are excellent. Very solid writing, decent amount of exploration/sidequests, and interesting worlds (especially Geneforge). You can check them out here

Unabashedly agree, but the main site is not the place to get them. The original Exile trilogy and Blades of Exile, which will work under XP/virtual machine, are freeware there now, but GOG has all of them but Nethergate and the second remake of Avernum 1 (Escape from the Pit) while Steam has Nethergate and Escape but not the first 3 Avernum games for very reasonable prices, even of sale. Granted, Jeff's site has a lot of good screenshots and information, but not where you would want to buy. Great games for low-end machines, though.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

BadAstronaut posted:

My feeling is that for the amount of hours I got out of BG:EE and will get out of BG2:EE, $20-$25 is completely worth it, and I am more than happy to buy directly from the devs, as opposed to Steam, so they get full financial support.

Do you get a Steam key if you buy direct? I am willing to shell out full retail for BG2EE (and M&MX) but paid a fiver for BG1EE via Steam during a sale.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I tried the superdemo or whatever it was for Grimoire, and I kind of see some serious potential there. The dev process still seems as dodgy as gently caress, but something good could come out of this.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Boldor, I'm actually thinking of going PDSS. Kind of sad that no cleric is no big deal since years of RPGs have ingrained in me the YOU MUST HAVE A HEALER mindset, but I trust your judgement. I normally would *never* take 2 of one class, but since you genuinely build characters in this game and seem to have something resembling specialisation, it seems like 2 sorcerers could do 2 different things and feel distinct.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Thuryl posted:

For what it's worth, PDCS is the party I used for my playthrough of M&M6, and that should work fine too if you'd rather not duplicate classes. You just won't quite have the same offensive oomph as two Sorcerers in the midgame (by the late-game you can mostly just spam dark magic so it doesn't matter so much).

Thanks Thuryl. As I said to Boldor, I just like to play with all of the toys, so I want a party that can use as many spells and skills as possible. PACS seemed best for that, but I was thinking that I needed some melee. Since casters are pretty good in a punch-up in this game, though, I guess that I don't.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Twobirds posted:

Oh my god, you're one of those people.

Thank you for building these tomes, they're often the only resource I have when I get stuck on something specific or need to read about the game systems. I hate walkthroughs that are essentially 'do the quests and then you win!'

... and I'm one of those looneys who genuinely enjoys reading them. I'm not entirely proud to admit that, either.

My mental maladies aside, I'm glad that people do them, though, because so many "classic" RPGs are so obtuse, buggy, hateful and unforgiving that somebody needs to come in and point out things like "specialising in axes will utterly gently caress you because the only axe in the game is made of almond paste and polystyrene" or that "spell Z does absolutely nothing and wearing a helmet will eventually make your character deaf." I'm only mildly exaggerating because some games are nearly that ridiculous.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Boldor posted:

Stuff (replaced for brevity)

I'll keep that in mind. My completionist instinct is aggravated by the thought that I can't get every artifact in one playthrough.

I'm wondering, though, about the power of statistics. I read a... thing somewhere that said about a quirk early in VI where you can find a scroll of Fly, use it to go somewhere and take a portal to an end-game area where you will be immediately devoured by end-game monsters, but there's an idol you can click for +20 to every stat on all characters. Then you just die and get taken back to New Sorpigal. Sounds worth a go.

Actually, I bookmarked it. If you want to see it, it's here.

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

World of Xeen (M&M4 + M&M5) was my all time favorite game growing up. I've mastered the loving thing. Everyone needs to play it, especially with the digitized speech that comes in the GOG mega bundle. The voice acting makes the loving game.

It's something special. Definitely the apex of the 2D, 6/8 party members earlier M&M games. I have the package on GOG, but I found an easy-ware (click and go with DosBox built in) version of the whole World of Xeen supergame in French on a French abandonware site. It's not there anymore, and I'm glad that I got it before it was gone. Backed it the gently caress up, you'd better believe.

(I'm sorry if what I just said is FILES!, but I'm not going to apologise for downloading a foreign-language version of a game that's no longer printed and which I already own legally.)

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

It's just so loving cheesy! A huge D&D ripoff and I love it. Like in the loving official hintbook when you look up weapon stats it has poo poo like:

Longsword - 3D4
Mace - 2d7

And they never even tell you what "d" means. Why the gently caress couldn't they say "does 2-14 damage"? Nope! They gotta say "2d7".

Everything is stupid as hell and thats what makes this game so awesome. Vampires that yell "BLAH" every time they attack, Ogres that fart on you, Orcs who's primary attack is to vomit on you. Everything is loving amazing. World of Xeen is to RPG's what Evil Dead 2/Army of Darkness is to horror movies.

Plus the game is epic as all hell. There is something amazing about taking a party of level 1 idiots who die to slimes and rats, all the way to godly status 1 shotting dragons, over an 80 hour long voyage. Only Baulders gate manages to do this same epic growth process.

I love Xeen because it's a direct sequel, spiritually if not story-wise, to M&M3 and improves on it in every way except, very arguably, for party size*. Adding the "Day of Z" spells was a genius move, and equipment makes more sense as you can't wear 10 rings anymore (seriously?) and there's more inventory space. My favourite change, though, is that certain pieces of wearable gear, like body armour, helmets etc affect AC but others like rings, brooches and amulets don't. In M&M3 you felt pressured to load up on AC like crazy, but an obsidian ring means gently caress all in World except to sell, so it makes you think of "accessories" as a way to load up on elemental protections, especially Energy for the endgame.

* - I'm aware that high-level hirelings in M&M3 were too expensive to be sustainable, but I still like big parties.

I've said it before, but I'd still pay handsomely for an M&M3 remake with World of Xeen rules. WoX is a sequel to a great game that did everything better. I don't blame them for taking M&M VI in another direction (though I don't like the smaller parties) because I don't think that they could possibly top Xeen.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Quarex posted:

Actually Wizardry 8 is $2.49 by itself (though it shows as 85% off on the main page, it only shows as 75% off if you go to buy it), so you have to prove that you REALLY JUST WANT WIZARDRY 8 by actually spending more for it.

Needless to say I now own my second copies of all three games.

I bought all 3 Wizardries on GOG the day that they came out, and it was all that I could do to not buy these as well.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

keyvin posted:

I'm looking forward to the day wiz 1-5 comes to gog so I can stop worrying if I have my ultimate wizardry archives cd backed up enough different places.

Oddly, I'm not as enthusiastic about those. I got the New Age of Llylgamyn collection and I played through Wiz 1 and 2. I enjoyed them well enough, but I didn't want to play 3 because it meant starting over. I won't play 4 because I don't hate myself THAT much, and I've yet to find a version of 5 that actually feels playable. I tried one partially translated Japanese version that was graphically hosed up, and the SNES version under emulation was really slow and clunky.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I'm going to post this here as there is no dedicated thread on SA (I checked) and it's a "modern-retro" game:

Anyone here played Legend of Grimrock? Lately I've been keen to have a go at that, having always been a huge fan of the Eye of the Beholder trilogy. I'm just trying to decide on a party composition. This game is very structured and fixed, so I can't see myself playing it more than once and I want to get as much out of one run as I can

The game has 4 races and 3 classes, so I'm thinking Minotaur Warrior, Lizardman Rogue, Insectoid mage specialising in Lightning and then maybe Frost if I have the points, and a human... something. All of the previous races are basically tailor-made for their given classes, but humans are good all-'rounders who are solid at any class. I don't see much point in another rogue, so I'm thinking either a warrior, possibly with a monk-like build with no armour, high evasion, and great unarmed skill to complement the huge beefy bull-man, or another mage who slings fire (and maybe poison) around to put in the back with my bugwizard.

Any thoughts?

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

CountingWizard posted:

I still think the best version of Wizardry is Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaken Land for the PS2 and supposedly its sequal (J) is even better. If you don't mind loading up an emulator it is a great experience of how to do old-school gaming right. They did alot of things different while keeping the fun things the same:

• Fast movement, and no jerky step by step as you move from grid-tile to grid-tile.
  • Non-standard tile shapes like winding paths, elbows, etc.
  • Bonus-pt Stat Roll: <12 95%, 13 4%, 14-20 1%, 20-30 super rare; meaning you may as well settle for slightly above average and not spend hours rolling.
  • Western themed art style; no kawaii animes (mostly).
  • Tons and tons of in-dungeon story interactions that make exploring interesting.
  • Tons of pre-made characters that are stronger than customs, and make the game interesting because they cause things to happen.
  • Friendship/Trust system that is affected by in-dungeon actions and dialogue choices.
  • Allied Action system, allow you to take more versatile and tactical actions than just an individual character blocking or attacking. Example: Charge enemies to kill weak ones quickly, counterattack from back row to cancel attacks on front row, etc.
  • Really good 3-dimensional monsters and animations.

I'll second this. Gamestop was really groovy and hunted me up a copy of this game from 500 miles away. It was $60+ online, but they had it shipped in and only charged me $4.99 for it. No box/booklet, but that was a loving deal.

Good game... maybe great. Feels like wizardy, really cool tactical combat, actually has character and is challenging without being bullshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I posted this in the Spiderweb thread but I'm going to post it again here because I feel that it most certainly counts. I've never seen it for purchase or download and it's the only Spiderweb game that I don't own, so I sent an e-mail to their service staff asking about the original Nethergate. Not Ressurection that's on Steam and was in the Humble Bundle last year, but the original one. They sent me a copy (it's not even 8 meg) back as an attachment and said that it's not up for free download like Exile 1/2/3/Blades, but it's free to anyone who asks. Just thought that I would mention that.

Interestingly enough, the game runs just fine on 64x Windows, at least on two systems running different builds of Win7x64 that I tried, with no issues that I can see. From what I gather, Nethergate was written 32 bit so it will run fine on a 64-bit system, but the Exile games are 16-bit and will faceplant on 64-bit OS's. They run just fine in an XP Virtual Machine, but only 7Pro has that built in, I think, and the less hassle the better, always.