Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Does anyone remember Drakensang? I recently picked it up on Steam, remembering that I quite liked what little I played of it some years back, but holy poo poo, character generation is waaaaay beyond me :psyduck: Do you guys have any recommendation for a simply, 2H smashy-killy character? Are there any skills that the main character *simply* must have?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

It's the first one; The Dark Eye, I think the subtitle was - not The River of Time. As for the skills, I think you're referring to willpower, and yeah, that looks like it's pretty vital :) I love these kinda games, but drat, it's a lot of information to frontload.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Why, oh why, is Drakensang often so arbitrarily difficult? Since Rhulana started out with a bit of nature lore, I thought I might as well let her be my primary alchemy ingredient harvester, yet she continually fails to harvest any of the myriad of plants. OK, I dump more "adventure points" into the talent. Fail, fail, fail, fail some more. Same thing goes later for Gladys, when I have her pick locks and such. This poo poo was really perplexing, until I check the message log - and lo and loving behold, even the most trivial task has its difficulty increased by +9 or +15. How can it be so hard to pick some goddamn oneberries? :psyduck: They are berries! On a bush! Unless you have potatoes for hands, this should not be an issue! And locks should not be that loving difficult to pick, when you're a bloody thief in the bloody thieves guild, and you have about 12 bloody ranks in the bloody talent, and a set of bloody lockpicks to boot.

Fuuuuuuuck...

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Wounds and poison aren't much of a problem, at least not yet. I've sunk a bunch of points into the two healing skills, and there are bandages and golmoon tea everywhere. I made a high-strength 2H bashy character, and combat hasn't been any trouble thus far. I'm in chapter... 5? Back in Ferdok after that swampy town, and that's farther than I've gotten before. That quest with the badass rat was a major hurdle the first time I played, but now it wasn't much of a challenge.

But those harvesting skill tests can go eat a dick. Save scumming is a pain in the rear end, so after I had harvested one of each plant successfully, I just cheat in a stack of 99. gently caress that noise, seriously.

All bitching aside, though, I'm really glad I picked this game up again. It's delightfully clichéd and goofy, and combat can be quite fun and interesting at times. The AI seems to have a particular fondness for targetting spellcasters, so figuring out how to protect them in the first few rounds can be fun.

e:

Huh, strange that the post was cut off after "...combat can". Oh well.

inscrutable horse fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Apr 29, 2014

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Quarex posted:

After spending an entire game with a beardless dwarf complaining about being beardless, when you start the prequel and he has his beard, it is basically the MOST EXCITING FOREBODING/FORESHADOWING IN A GAME EVER well for something unimportant, anyway, because you JUST KNOW YOU ARE GOING TO FIND OUT WHAT HAPPENS TO HIS BEARD

Oh tits! And of course it's not on Steam :negative:

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Not for me it isn't :( For some odd reason, while all the other Dark Eye games are available in my region, Steam considers a bearded Forgrimm too much a poor Faroe Islander to handle.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

An open letter to Eye of the Beholder II - Legend of Darkmoon:

Dear Eye of the Beholder II - Legend of Darkmoon,

Gas Spores can eat a bag of dicks.

Cordially yours,

inscrutable horse

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

The narrow path to virtue is not getting caught. The broad path is not leaving any witnesses.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

<--- Ultima 7 is clearly the best one :colbert:

Blatant fanaticism aside, U7:BG was by far the most polished and fun of the "new" Ultimas (U6+). U6 feels so static and lifeless, U7:SI was linear and... well, stunted. U8 is actually my second favourite of the new Ultimas, it's just such a shame it had those horrible jumping mechanics, and that awful underground metro station. U9 is not spoken of.

I think I'd rate U4 as the best of the old Ultimas. Aside from gameplay updates and such, its endgoal was what really resonated; not to kill the Baddest of Guys, but to become the Goodest of Guys. And, apart from U1, it's the only one I ever finished.

So, since we're ranking them, here's how I would order them:

7:BG
7:SI
2/3

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

I'm not sure if this counts as an enjoyment-busting spoiler or not, but to be on the safe side...

For the final part of the game: just remember that you need a full party of 8, otherwise you can't finish the game.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Better yet, you get so annoyed by bugs and loose ends of plot, that you start following IT-HE's anti-walkthrough, and never turn back again.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

:kimchi: That intro was my ringtone for... God, 7 years? I really need to get rid that drat default Nokia tone.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

The first Lands of Lore is pretty much the best of the real-time dungeon crawlers in my opinion. I used to love the Eye of the Beholder series, but replaying them recently has shown me that there's just way to much obtuse crap and dickish puzzles to really enjoy them all that much. But considering the thread's theme, you might want to check 'em out anyway. Then there's Dungeon Hack, which uses the same engine as the EoB series, but it's more of a roguelike with ADnD rules - random levels, no party, etc. Anvil of Dawn's also something you might want to check out. I've only played a few minutes of it, so I can't say if it's good or not. The developer behind Anvil also made a couple of Ravenloft games, but I've never tried them.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

I recently played through EoB 1 & 2, and I didn't really get much mileage out of the thief I created. Were I to play again, I'd go with 1 fighter-ish fellow for hitting stuff with, 1 cleric heal-bot, 1 mage for haste/fireball/lightning duty, and an additional mage or cleric.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Daler Mehndi posted:

Matt Barton had a series of interview with Joel Billings on Youtube, who was involved in Shattered Lands and Wake of the Ravager. There's no quick way for me to find the exact section but generally speaking, Shattered Lands took much longer to producer than the average SSI title. And Wake of the Ravager was plagued with trouble such as having to use assets from a different project with a different point-of-view and engine (the Dark Sun Online game if I'm not mistaken), and had to be released without polish.

Come to think of it, Dark Sun Online was another face plant.

GameBanshee has links to the videos, with short summaries on each particular video. I haven't watched them myself, so I don't know how accurate they are, but they're usually quite good about those sorts of things.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

I've been playing Xulima for a few days now, and I wholeheartedly recommend it. That being said, there are some things that could use a good tweaking. For example, the classes are not balanced very well - stay clear of paladins, bards and divine summoners. They're not bad classes, but they're just so completely underpowered in comparison to the other classes, and many of their features can be covered with consumable items.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

seorin posted:

I do find it strange that you'd single out Paladin and Bard, though. Paladins have the best defensive buff in the game by a fair margin, and Bard buffs are kind of incredible (+42% combat speed? yes please).

That's the thing with bards, their buffs are great, but they're also available in stores for a very reasonable price. And maybe it's because I play on the intermediate difficulty, but I never found the paladin's buff to be particularly useful. Either the party is able to handle the enemies without much trouble, or the enemies are just so far out of the party's league, that they'll get creamed in a matter of seconds regardless of buffs.

seorin posted:

In my opinion, soldiers and arcane soldiers are probably the most underpowered, followed by barbarians and clerics. Soldiers don't really have enough PP to get a lot of use out of their special attacks. An arcane soldier would be a better choice if you want to use specials, but their unique flame/frost strikes don't scale well enough to justify the extreme skill point cost, and their magic is always going to be behind a mage for obvious reasons. Clerics aren't bad at all, but I find the high level cleric spells to not be anywhere near as incredible as high level mage spells, so I'd rather use a Paladin.

I actually really quite heavily on both the soldier and the arcane soldier for slaughtering everything :) Yeah, the soldier seriously lacks the PP for extended fights, but the ability to stack bleed effects combined with the arcane's ability to freeze enemies is a lethal combo. And later on the arcane gets the same special attacks the soldier gets, so the bleed just stacks even faster. But yeah, the cost is rather more hefty than is justifiable, and I hope they intend to patch that. Also, clerics are nice, and are good at granting far more staying power to the party during tough fights, where the enemies start stacking on bleed or wounds. That, and they make surprisingly effective back-row fighters.

seorin posted:

In true classic RPG fashion, mage is probably indispensable. Thief is pretty safe to skip, but makes for a surprisingly good front-liner and frees up skill points for Gaulen to spend on more fighty things.

The barbarian was utter garbage :( Lackluster skills (come on rage, a pitiful percentage upgrade to criticals for THAT cost?!), little staying power, colossal disappointment. And thieves are great - like you said, surprisingly good front-liner, takes care of trapping and lockpicking, and they can use shurikens, which can be vital in some fights.

The party I use now (I'm at the part of the game where I've taken care of two temples) has an ArcSoldier, Soldier and Thief in the front row, and a Mage, Cleric and Gaulen in the back, and most fights are, if not exactly trivial, hardly much of a threat. But I also get ALL the blessings from the priestess, and re-apply them as soon as they run out. Seriously, those things are really cheap, and are the equivalent of having several more levels under your belt. Also, freezing touch is without a doubt one of the best spells available.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

^ You had me at Necrodancer, and I'm happy I bought it on that whim alone. Best :10bux: I've spent this month.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Oh god, I played the Albion demo over and over again back in the day. It was a sad day when I had worn the CD out, and I couldn't install it again :( Pretty stoked that I might finally see the rest of the story now!

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

THE PWNER posted:

Holy hell Age of Decadence is a trash heap. How is it so widely praised? I played early access like, 3 years ago, and it's exactly the same as it was then, just with another ~5 hours of content tacked on.

It should have been a lovely e-book that no one ever bought, but the guy put his writing into a shell of a "game" that's missing all of the things that made the genre good, so now it's suddenly a masterpiece?

Here is my steam review which encapsulates what I think about this game, before people jump on me because "you died at the start and quit not hardcore enough" etc. I actually broke the game completely with a combat character that beat every single encounter thrown at it, got bored of that and made a non-combat character, then realized the game was never going to get interesting and dropped it.

So basically nothing has changed since they released that very first demo all those years ago?

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

The sniper rifle is a bit of a waste if you've chosen fast shot, so I'd ditch it, or maybe toss it over to Tycho. I've never used the 14mm pistol very much, because it gets outclassed very early on by the .223 pistol - and since you've managed to grab yourself some power armor, doing the quest (in the Hub, IIRC) that gives you the .223 as a reward shouldn't be much of an issue. Another gun I've never used much is the assault rifle, I've always preferred the combat shotgun, since it's one of the more versatile weapons. One of the best places (that I remember - it's been a while) to get rid of gear and loot is... Jake's? He's the weapons merchant in the hub, and he often carries mid- to high-level gear.

My recommendation would be to:
* Keep only two guns - ideally the combat shotgun and .223 pistol, until you've leveled up energy weapons, then switch to the plasma rifle and alien blaster.
* Store surplus crap in any "unclaimed" container in a central location. Containers don't get reset like in Fallout 3+
* Not choosing fast shot with that stat loadout. You've built a sniper character, but traded away targeted shots with that trait.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Zereth posted:

Have you tried the trunk of your car?

That's only in the second one, I'm afraid. That being said: Max Wilco, if you intend to continue into Fallout 2, getting the car should be one of your highest priorities. It's such a quality of life enhancer, I can't imagine the game without it.

dis astranagant posted:

He's probably planning on picking up sniper, which negates quite a bit of the want for called shots.

Sniper is, IIRC, only a guaranteed critical. Which is super loving nice, no question about it, but not all crits are equal. Depending on the targeted location, you can get anything from a (figurative) really stubbed toe, to an instant death. With called shots you can go for the eyes, which are pretty much a guaranteed kill. That, and sniper is so far up the perk ladder, you're not going to get much use out of it.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Chairchucker posted:

Just popping into the thread to let y'all know that having spent 15 hours on Tyranny, I can confidently say it owns bones. I like it more than Pillars of Eternity at the moment.

I'll second that. Tyranny is in the running for RPG of the year, IMO.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

[Glares silently]

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

ToEE had the best, most faithful, 3rd ed. D&D combat in any videogame. Of course, that was also its greatest problem - faithful D&D combat.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Wait a minute, why does my phone sound so wei- oh...

(:ssh: it's my ringtone)

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

U7 is basically a point-and-click adventure where you can play dress-up (poorly).

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Yeah, Xulima could definitely have been pruned more aggressively. I played through 30 or so hours of it, and then consulted a walkthrough; judging by how much was left, I had barely started the game :aaa: At least the length-to-dollar ratio is excellent.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

I ran across this Ultima 7 playthrough the other day, and thought you guys might appreciate it.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Having just finished NWN2 for the first time, I can tell you that it has not aged well at all, so if you're going to give any of them a miss, that's my candidate. I've never gotten either of Dragonshard or Demon Stone to work, so I can't comment on them.

NWN1's main campaign is super bland, but the expansions are quite nice, adding an interesting story and cast of characters to the D&D3.5 Lite hackfrest. ToEE is, afaik, the most faithful D&D3.5 adaptation, and I've always liked the combat in it - which is kinda necessary, since it's pretty heavy on that front. Well, all the D&D games are, but the other ones at least pretend to tell a story at the same time. PS:T does this the "best", focusing on the story, and letting the combat take secondary - if not tertiary - priority.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

BadAstronaut posted:

I just posted this in the Infinity Engine thread, but as this is another thread I lurk quite often, I thought you guys might enjoy it as well. I spoke to Planescape: Torment's Lead Artist, Tim Donley about the making of the game, so have a read if this is one you're interested in.

That was a really cool read, thanks!

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Oh wow, I had completely forgotten about Westwood's Battletech games! I used to play The Crescent Hawk's Inception on my old 286, which must be some 25 years ago by now, and I still remember that second-to-last map; if he had anything to do with that particular atrocity, give him a good dressing-down :argh:

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

That Chameleon was such a monster. Too bad you couldn't upgrade it in order to completely break the game over your knees.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Nakar posted:

The level curve is completely hosed, e.g. you're supposed to be able to class change at level 10 and there are a handful of classes you can't start as so you're supposed to change into them, but the game's experience curve barely lets you reach level 10 by the end of the game.

Wasn't this the game that was supposed to have something like 600+ hours of content?

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Huh, so that's why all those Nexus "armor" mods are lore-friendly...

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Mostly I'm trying to remember if there are any things that can get you stuck. Miss-able items mainly, or any item that doesn't look important but is required for progression...

Just be sure to hang on to that late-game cube-thingy for as long as possible. I remember using it to progress the story straight away, which really screwed me over later.

Speaking of which, Lands of Lore 2... Urgh... I want to like that game so fuckin' hard, but goddamn that involuntary shape-shifting shtick has hosed me over too often.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Wasn't Brad Wardell the fella who went completely off the deep end after being accused of sexual harassment, and made red-pillers look like poster-children for well-adjusted members of society?

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Don't trust the skull!

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

I had a lot of fun with Pathfinder... and I just uninstalled it yesterday. Bugs are one thing, but load times get longer and longer the further you get into the game. Halfway into act 2 (of what, 7?), I was spending minutes waiting for every location to load, and that's a pain in the rear end with the kingdom-management mechanic. I'd stay away from the game until January.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

andrew smash posted:

i just want them to pay josh sawyer to make his dune crpg

Or a Darklands remake. I'd sacrifice a raubritter to Baphomet for that one. Well, I'd do that on general principle. I'd give massive amounts of cash for that, is what I'm getting at.