Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Spincut posted:

The big thing I've heard about Temple of Elemental Evil (the newer one) is the Circle of Eight modpack. GoG linky here. It's mostly bug fixes, but it does add some content like new quests as well. Heavily recommended for the "complete" ToEE experience.

Completely agree. It makes the game better, without question. It isn't one of those kitchen sink kind of mods that throws in everything they can think of. ToEE is an amazing game with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
This is my favorite thread in the universe. All of these games just make me so gosh darned happy. I hope I get stranded on a desert island some day with all of these games.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Dr. Quarex posted:

I do feel like Neverwinter Nights is the textbook definition of a 3-star game; lots of interesting things going on and solid mechanics, but feeling utterly hollow at the same time.

Then Temple of Elemental Evil is the textbook definition of a 2-star game, as it was the same except there was nothing going on in the entire game and it had about as much text as a 1980s CRPG (without the accompanying booklet).

Textbook 5-star game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8HHOqf-dgM&t=146s

I really, really enjoyed TOEE. As far as I know, it has the best implementation of D&D combat ever. The story isn't anything special, although I do like how the beginning of the game is different depending on which alignment you choose. Chaotic Evil parties start the game straight up murdering innocent people, if I recall correctly.

Icewind Dale and Baldur's Gate with TOEE combat would be really good.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Chairchucker posted:

I played the demo of ToEE and hated the combat.

Well then, I guess that's that.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
The developers expected they would make more DLC. Sales of the game weren't great, so Ubisoft didn't have them make any more. That's why it is impossible to get the max level achievement in the game, there isn't enough experience to reach it. I really liked MMX despite the stupid new universe, the gameplay was great and I felt right at home. But the low sales of the game pretty much means that the revival was a one time thing, and we're not going to see any more sequels, sadly.

I replayed MM6 for the four hundredth time a couple months ago, and clocked in at 78 hours played. When I look down at MMX's playtime, it was... 78 hours played. :stare:

What happened at the top of the lighthouse that was funny? I don't remember.

Node fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Feb 28, 2017

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Synthbuttrange posted:

There was a Might and Magic X? :confused:

idk if this is a genuine post or a "haha, i think the game is so bad i dont acknowledge its existence im so clever" post, but yes, ubisoft tried to revive it with minimal budget development a few years back, and in my opinion it was pretty good. it was better than IX at least! which didn't exist!

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

dhamster posted:

I still remember how terrible IX was. I guess some fans patched it to make it a bit better though?

It's on my list of things to play, but I don't have very much hope. My best friend and I would buy Might and Magic 6, 7, 8 the day they hit the shelves, and have all night marathons of playing them when we were teenagers. When we brought home 9 on the day it was released, my friend fell asleep after just a few hours. That pretty much sums how horrible IX was. 3D0 rushed the poo poo out of that game because they knew they were going bankrupt. Its a shame New World Computing died with them. JVC is wasting his talents on mobile games now or some poo poo.

I think the fan patch fixes glaring issues, but ultimately doesn't make it a good game. You just have to play it because you're a diehard Might and Magic fan and can tell yourself "I have beaten every Might and Magic game. :suicide:"

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Synthbuttrange posted:

I really didnt know it existed, I got so burned on IX and the fact that they blew the planet up I think I just accepted that it was a dead franchise.

It pretty much is now. MM10 wasn't a financial success, so either they try and reinvent it later, which is unlikely, or it lies dead and we keep getting Heroes of Might and Magic games set in god awful universes.

I still think it was way better than what we could have hoped for in this day and age.

Node fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Feb 28, 2017

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Dr. Quarex posted:

Sup my fanboy friend

Peep dis

Holy poo poo, I remember that. When I read about it it sounded awesome. Then you get to the part where it asks for your credit card.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I'm gonna pee and poo on ultima vii

I'm pretty sure I'm going to cut you

Speaking of Ultimas, I know Ultima 8 was bad. But how bad is it? Is it tolerable if you want to play through more of Brittania, and like Lord British's style of game design, or do the jumping puzzles and all the other poo poo with the game just make it unplayable?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Genpei Turtle posted:

It's not set in Brittania at all if that makes a difference.

Pagan actually wasn't all that bad a game, it's just really bad as an Ultima. The jumping puzzles were notoriously bad on release and the source of endless frustration. They were fixed with a patch but back in the day barely anyone could get it so it got a bad rap.

On its own if you take it divorced from the Ultima series as a whole it's not so bad. It's got an interesting world and a lot of secrets and exploration. YMMV though.

Does it feel like an Ultima game? is the most important question I guess. Will I feel Richard Garriott's warm embrace when playing it?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Not really. Ultima 8, like 9 was unfinished and rushed with huge swathes of cut content, so the Avatar ends up doing stuff that kind of goes against the Virtues. You're playing more a desperate man trying to get back home more than you are a religious figure saving the world. It isn't totally awful though, it being a bad Ultima but a decent enough game in spite of its issues is fairly on the mark. It isn't Ultima 9 which was just an insult to Ultima fans.

I'm going to say I actually thought U9 was okay. It was certainly no where near the quality of U4 or U7, but I enjoy it for some reason. It has excellent music too. An orchestra did the soundtrack for the game, and the orchestral version of Stones is really lovely to hear.

U9 was also buggy as poo poo on release, but if you registered your game (remember when that was still a thing?) Origin later mailed everybody a CD with a patch on it, an apology, and a free month of Ultima Online. I wonder where mine is. I hope I didn't throw it away.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Quote-Unquote posted:

Ultima IX gets points for having by far the best score in the series. And that's probably the only thing I'm going to praise about it. "Haaaaaayyyy baaaaaybeee, want to paaarty?" "Suuuuure, let's go!". *shudder*

Yeah, stones.mp3 is easily the best thing that came out of that game. Everyone who is an Ultima fan needs to listen to it once.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
U9 also gave us the hilarious story of it-he's adventure from mainland Britannia to Trinsic, without a boat. It involves stacking many sticks, books, and making a bridge out of them across the ocean.

http://www.it-he.org/u9_otwab.php

God drat it-he is an old site. An oldie but always a goodie.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

ProfessorCirno posted:

The problem with replaying Ultimas is that you have to make playing them more entertaining then just reading Nakar's LPs, and that's just not possible.

I remember when reading LPs was entertaining and funny. Now I can't do it, they just seem so boring compared to video LPs. And a lot more creativity and effort was put into the read LPs in general, too.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Also it means you have to play Ultima

Please stop. This thread is a Safe Space, and you are triggering me.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Everyone likes underworld though right? That had amazing dungeon design because it felt like it had its own economy and ecology for every floor.

It's hard to argue that not being one of the top Ultima games. It was an enormous influence on immersive first person shooters/RPGs like System Shock.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

General Emergency posted:

Arx Fatalis is the best Ultima game.

I think I have mentioned this already, but its worth repeating. Arkane Studios released the source code for Arx a few years ago, and someone made it on a new fancy engine. It's called Arx Liberatis or Libertatis or something like that. Definitely worth playing through again.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

chairface posted:

6 is fun but is very much tilted towards the Magic side of the Might & Magic duality. Arguments about optimal party composition differ in exactly how many sorcerers you should be bringing. All 4 characters being sorcerers is among the competitors for an ideal composition. 7 does a better job balancing Might and Magic, and adds more classes besides, as well as overhauling the skill mastery system.

Some day I'm going to play a four druid party. No light or dark spells, but the Starfalls and Fireballs will be rapid firing. Out of mana? No problem, this is M&M6 and everyone can master a skill like archery if they can learn it.

6 has a special place in my heart, I bought it when I was young and I didn't know anything about the series.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

credburn posted:

Bleeding edge graphics never hold up. I remember when Oblivion made me dizzy because it seemed so real. I remember when Mafia had cutscenes where their lips matched the sounds coming from them. I remember seeing mocap for the first time in GTA3 (or at least the first time I noticed people walking around like actual people might move.) All of this looks like poo poo now. What does hold up is cell shading (Even without HD remastering, Wind Waker still looks great!) and pixel art and the like.

Far from an RPG, but I remember when Epic was showing off ragdoll physics in UT2003 at E3. Definitely a pantsshitting moment.

Angrymog posted:

I wanted to like Xulima, but you were forced to have a totally bland character in your party in addition to the ones you made yourself

I played through the entire game. Almost 100 hours of it. It's an incredibly bland game. It's not bad, it's just... not good, at all.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I love this thread. It's so warm and cozy. A bit threadbare, but the endearing kind of threadbare.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
If I ever made a movie I'd use nothing but Doom door sound effects

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Arivia posted:

I feel bad for the "biggest fan ever" in that Grimoire trailer who kept asking "is it done yet?" every single day until he died in like 2012. Hope you can play it in Heaven and it's remotely what you were hoping for buddy. :unsmith:

:(

Poor dude.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
How playable are the earlier Wizardry games today? I love party based dungeon crawlers. I've only played 8, and I really enjoyed it, and I have heard that 7 is the pinnacle of the series.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I could play 5,000 more Grimrock games and be a happy man. Dungeon Master is my jam.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Can someone explain to me what Grimoire is and what the joke is about it

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Since this is a big deal, I've uninstalled Steam, GOG, Origin, and all my games in preparation.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Its on Steam. I just beat it. It was good.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Synthbuttrange posted:

jesus dont give money to insane racists

e: hey you lied!

Huh? I was talking about masturbating.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
So was someone joking earlier or is this guy really a fascist/nazi/rear end in a top hat and I shouldn't buy his game and support him. Because the game looks interesting. I'm not familiar with the dark comedy that was the 20 year development.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

He's really racist but he's frankly too weird for the other two to apply. He genuinely believes that he's a Neanderthal and is one of the select few remaining who will inherit the planet when homo sapiens dies during the coming race war/nuclear war/ice age/magnetic reversal. Hence the bunker in Australia, which he fled to after knocking out a Mexican dwarf with a jar of bby food during the LA riots. Buy his game

Well, then

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Has anyone beaten Cleve's neanderthal masterpiece yet

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I think you can only parry humans in Gothic. Its been a while, I may be wrong.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Exult keeps crashing on my PC. I'm playing it on Windows 10. I don't have any mods installed. There's virtually nothing on Google about this. Anyone know what might cause Exult to ctd? I want my Ultima 7 fix.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I played through the 3d trilogy of Might and Magic (6, 7, 8. 9 doesn't count) a year or so ago and the GOG version of 8 crashes at the very last dungeon in the game. When you're rescuing the elemental lords, every time I enter the prison of the lightning/air lord, the game CTDs every time. Pretty huge kick in the balls after all that work.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Definitely get Light Master when you can. Day of the Gods + Hour of Power are game changing.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

szary posted:

I definitely would have taken Light Master, but I locked myself out of getting it after tanking my reputation and not having enough quests left to get it back up to saintly.

Ah, a fellow intellectual that likes to cast Armageddon in New Sorpigal. Well met, friend.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I've played Daggerfall a number of times over the years, and my recent attempts at a playthrough have been stopped by some incredibly out of depth monsters. I'm playing Daggerfall Unity, using small dungeons, and I am running into vampires, werewolves, and other pretty high level creatures at level one in random dungeons, with the rest of the monsters being what you'd expect: rats, bats, low level humans. I thought the entire game was pretty much scaled to your level. Can Daggerfall really spawn those kinds of monsters at the beginning of the game, or is something hosed up going on with the Unity port?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Kuros posted:

Maybe one of the mods is affecting this? I did a run through and had no issues with high level monsters in random dungeons while low level. I don't know if small dungeons would affect this or not.

I took a look through my small mod list and none of them affect gameplay as far as I can tell. I use Distant Terrain, Improved Interior Lighting, Real Grass, Enhanced Sky, and all the DREAM ones.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Kuros posted:

Yea I can only think it’s either the small dungeons setting, you’re on a quest made for high levels or “lol Daggerfall things”.

Talking about quests, there are some good quest packs on Nexus, some even involve skill checks.

I just started a second character, decided to go more Illusionist Thief this time around.

I'm not using the latest version of DF Unity, maybe updating the game will help. It was annoying to fight in random level one dungeons and getting paralyzed by scorpions and instakilled in one hit by daedra.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
There is a "modern" port of U7 called Exult. It's "modern" because its actually been around quite a while. It doesn't fix everything about U7 but it does make it much more playable than the original.