Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
A PC RPG thread is a good idea, the RPG thread is awkward since it's a mix of Western PC RPGs and console JRPGs which really don't have that much in common. Though I don't know if games as recent as Arcanum should really count as old school. Games I'd recommend in the OP are things like the Might and Magic series, Wizardry series, Ultima series, Dungeon Master, Ultima Underworld, some of the old D&D stuff like the Gold Box games, the Eye of the Beholder games, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

PSI-5 posted:

I'm currently playing Ultima 1 on PC (thanks GOG). I'm mapping out the lands and dungeons on A3 graph paper. It's awesome. A lot more fun than I expected, even if the game is very primitive.

My goal is to work my way through all of the Ultimas (yes, even you Ascension).

I tried to do this a couple of years ago. I actually finished Ultima but after about an hour of part 2 I abandoned the plan.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I tried to play Ur-Quan Masters. I met an alien probe that was supposed to "replicate itself and make contact with other species" and it decided that I was raw materials and attacked me.

In combat it was ten times as maneuverable as I was, my ship turns at about a pixel every five seconds, so it was literally impossible to shoot it. I died without ever actually having a chance to do anything. :geno:

I'm willing to forgive a lot in old games (I love Fallout 1 and 2, for instance) but I'm having a pretty hard time seeing the appeal here. Did I miss some crucial early opportunity to upgrade my ship or something?

I felt the same way when I first played it, about 5 years ago. Don't be afraid to go to GameFAQs and get some advice from a couple of the guides there. Sure, the best way to play it would be to take your time, exploring the galaxy and taking notes for yourself and restarting the game if absolutely necessary. But I definitely didn't have the patience for that personally, and if it came down to cheating a bit by reading a guide or not playing the game at all, I'd say cheat a bit. And definitely get the ship with the BUTT missiles on pluto before leaving Sol.

Once you get over the first hump, which is hitting some high resource worlds to get your flagship upgraded with speed/maneuverability, the game improves a lot. It's definitely not an easy game at any point and personally I consider a guide almost mandatory, but it's a great game and the way things happen around you (sometimes without your input at all) is really amazing.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Can someone who has some experience with the game recommend which version of the Circle of Eight modpack to install for Temple of Elemental Evil? The forum presents this loving ridiculous chart explaining the differences in the most confusing way possible.

What I want - bugfixes, restored content, anything that makes the game better
What I don't want - terrible fan-made content

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Lands of Lore might be the only old-school PC RPG I've ever successfully finished (besides Ultima 1, but that was short and easy as hell). Granted, that was back somewhere between 1998 and 2002, but I tried it again recently and it has held up really well. The interface is a lot less painful than most old PC RPGs and there's voice acting by loving Patrick Stewart.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

I feel like Eye of the Beholder is a really good introduction to old school dungeon crawlers. I can't explain why exactly, just after numerous attempts to play old RPGs it was the one that was the easiest to grasp for me. It also doesn't hurt that the graphics still look pretty drat good today.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I think you want the general RPG thread.

The Dark Spire at least is definitely an honorary PC RPG in my mind. Obviously things like that shouldn't be the focus of the thread, but I don't think there's anything wrong with mentioning something that isn't PC only if it's similar to classic PC RPGs.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

UUW desperately needs a remake. I've tried to play it a couple of times in the last few years and it literally hurts my eyes to look at so I couldn't get far, but from what I played I think the gameplay has held up really well. There was that System Shock upgrade last year, I wonder if anyone plans to give the same treatment to UUW since it runs on the same engine?

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Veib posted:

Wait, what? I seem to have missed this.

Ok apparently it's way older than I thought and not exactly a remake, but they fixed the awful controls and added in some higher resolutions. The game is far more playable this way. http://www.systemshock.org/index.php?topic=211.0

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Lunael posted:

Have you tried Arx Fatalis from 2002? It really captures some key elements of Ultima Underworld feel wonderfully, and is still a great game to boot.

Edit:
4.99€ in Steam http://store.steampowered.com/app/1700/
$5.99 in GOG http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/arx_fatalis

Yeah I've gotten more than halfway through it more than once. I can't quite put my finger on it, but I don't think it's a very good game and I always get bored pretty quickly.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Someone just mentioned Dungeon Hack in the Legend of Grimrock thread so I went to check it out. God drat, a dungeon crawling single character D&D game with randomly generated dungeons? This is the type of game I wanted so badly that I've been seriously considering trying to make one myself for years now. I've heard of Dungeon Hack of course but it was just one of many games on a huge list of old RPGs I planned to look into at some point, so I wasn't aware of the randomly generated levels. And it's got a loving auto-map!

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

I have no idea. I think I prefer turn-based myself but holy gently caress it's an old-school style PC RPG with great graphics and a UI that wasn't designed in the dark ages. Those of us reading this thread can't be really picky in an era where Mass Effect 1 was considered a hardcore RPG.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

ProfessorCirno posted:

Baldur's Gate revived the cRPG. But I guarantee, without Diablo, there's no Baldur's Gate.

I was in a Diablo guild in late '97, I was 15 and most of the leaders were in their late 20's or 30's. They were all really into D&D and I remember we were going to become a Baldur's Gate focused guild, we assumed it was going to be a good multiplayer game since p&p RPGs are all about multiplayer. I think we expected something along the line of what Neverwinter Nights was supposed to be. Oops.

Anyway, Diablo lead me directly to BG but I ended up hating BG at first because it wasn't what I was expecting and the multiplayer was pointless. Eventually I gave it another shot and learned to love it, and that was the only reason I ever got interested in the "world" of D&D. This is a long-winded way of saying I agree with your point completely.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

That Ultima Online box was so amazing. I couldn't justify $15 a month for a video game when it first came out, but I'd check out the box every time I went to Best Buy and imagine how cool it must be to battle a dragon and a big loving ogre and a lizard man invasion with dozens of other players all at once. It's too bad that no MMO ever managed to come even close to delivering on the promise of that box art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

FF9 is truly awful, I'm not sure how it's gotten such a good reputation recently.