Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Rinkles posted:

I really have to give Darklands a try one of these days. The pixel work looks great for the time it was made. And there aren't many (pseudo) historically accurate RPGs.

Darklands was way ahead of its time. The pixel art is pretty solid, but it can sometimes be hard to distinguish party members (be sure to give them different colors!). The mouse control is responsive and the real-time+pause system works out rather well. The battles are fairly tactical and stuff like positioning matters. Once you engage with an enemy, you can't disengage them unless they get flanked. If you get flanked, you're hosed. You have to protect your weaker characters by engaging anyone who tries to get around your front line.

And I just love the mythology of the game. It's Medieval Germany if all the locally believed superstitions were real. Actual medieval Christian mythology, not any of that ANGELS VS DEMONS tripe you see in Diablo or Darksiders. It's pretty historical and the fantasy elements, instead of magic missiles, are throwing Greek fire and praying to a plethora of saints. Most of your enemies are bandits in ragged armor and clubs, wild animals, and occasionally a giant spider or something. Until you accidentally come across a satanic ritual that you fail to break up in time and then oh god hell literally breaks loose.

Man, Darklands is an amazing game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Bought Darklands off GoG because it's just three fukkin bux. Gonna play it all night tonight.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

rope kid posted:

There is aging during character creation (in 5 year increments) and during the game. If you make an old, your olds can even die of aging during gameplay. Go to sleep, wake up, the alchemist's dead.

EDIT: Darklands guide... last post on the previous page... :negative:

Thanks for the guide. I forgot a lot about how Darklands works in the last few years.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Fintilgin posted:

For marketability, you'd probably want to set Darklands II in medieval England. But I'd actually kind of like to see it move east into Russia. Huge dark forests, more creepy folklore, some form of winter weather system that forces you to hole up for a month or two now and then...

A huge part of the appeal to me for Darklands is how strange and foreign it is. Florins, Raubritters, a bizarre 8 hour clock, etc. Taking that aspect out and putting in Ye Olde England would be pretty tragic.

More proof of why Darklands is awesome: its manual contains an extensive bibliography. Will there ever again be another game manual extensive enough to require a freaking bibliography? Or a game to even necessitate it?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

rope kid posted:

Screw marketability and the Medieval period. This is the dawning of an era of premium small games, where modest teams can aspire to make games with florins and canonical hours in early modern Europe and probably have plenty of folks to make it profitable.

The HRE/"Greater Germany" actually expanded well beyond the boundaries of what we understand as late-20th century Germany. There's so much crazy stuff going on in those areas in the 15th and 16th centuries it would be great to revisit and then expand upon as the original design of Darklands suggested.

Or maybe I just think that because my history degree focused on witch-hunting in the HRE.

I hope if Avellone/Obsidian is still considering a Kickstarter project, it will be at least partially inspired by Darklands. I would pledge so much money.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Sankis posted:

I'm pretty sure you can make new party members at any time at an inn, but it's been years since I played it. I vaguely recall some kind of exploit related to it. Maybe it was making super old people and then stripping them of gear and replacing them with new characters.

Yeah, rope kid mentioned it briefly. Alchemists with lots of time studying alchemy have lots of formulas and one potion for each formula (I think?). Repeatedly make and replace them to super cheese the system (don't do this)

You can make new characters at any time, but can only ever have 4 in your party. Go to any Inn to retire/hire/swap characters.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Genpei Turtle posted:

Yeah, I thought was pretty good. It has kind of an Eye of the Beholder vibe to it. It's very early 90s with its janky live actors and voice acting, but as dungeon crawls go it's pretty solid. You're probably not going to find everything without a walkthrough though. It has some really obscure secrets along the line of "push this one brick in a long hallway full of identical brick walls to open a secret door" points but none are required to beat the game.

The problem with it being really early '90s in its look and feel is that it was released in '95. In an era where computer and video game graphical technology was encountering a major evolution every other year, Stonekeep felt like it was 4 years behind. Partly because it was delayed for 4 years. Arena was already out and Daggerfall had previews in magazines and was coming out in less than a year, so everyone saw Stonekeep as a relic and ignored it. It was kind of the Daikatana of the RPG world.

The difference I guess is that from a gameplay standpoint, Stonekeep was still very solid. It stands up with the best first person dungeon crawlers, I think.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

JustJeff88 posted:

I got Gnomoria and payed the tenner, so I got the Geneforge Saga ($10 bought you, as of yesterday, Gnomoria and the next game released as well as the mystery game) and the mystery game was SpaceChem, so I'd imagine that hasn't changed, but I could well be wrong.

No, Geneforge was the mystery game, SpaceChem was the previous game. The mystery game is always the next game up in the queue. When you buy the $10 bundle, you get the current game, and the the previous game, and the next one.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Richard Gariott was somehow able to keep the rights to the name Lord British.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

He's been to outer space and back. If any game designer can, he can.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

So yeah, I just checked Wikipedia, and it claims that Gariott holds the trademark to Lord British. So this is definitely Richard Gariott related. It's most likely this: http://www.portalarium.com/index.php/products/ultimate-rpg

He has previously stated that he'd attach it to the Ultima brand if EA would let him, but otherwise it's still the spiritual successor to UO. Most likely, that's getting a formal announcement and trailer. It's also going to be free to play. In the treatise he wrote about the game, he talked big about how free to play games don't need to be shallow or lacking in a good story. He also goes on to say that it will be the ultimate RPG while simultaneously lowering expectations by saying that there wont be as many features or as robust a world as other MMOs. Well... okay.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Mar 5, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

If Richard Garriott went to Kickstarter with a solid pitch on a spiritual successor to UO, it may be the only KS MMO project to actually get funded.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

His father was a motherfucking astronaut. I'm pretty sure Garriott could have sounded like whatever the hell he wanted to and still would have been the coolest kid in his class.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Ubisoft is going in a bold new direction: Give fans of an old school franchise what they actually want.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Mar 22, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I have a feeling that the advent of Kickstarter had a pretty big influence on Ubisoft going in this direction. It took hundreds of thousands of people chipping in on old school RPG projects to make corporations like Ubisoft realize that people still want these types of games, and they don't actually want them "re-envisioned" as an FPS or a gritty modern action RPG.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

World of Xeen, in my opinion, is the pinnacle of the series. This isn't objective fact or anything, but neither is your opinion. There is lot of nostalgia for those games, and I'm kind of glad that it's going to be grid based rather than like the later games. The older games aren't inferior in that respect at all.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

So if one was to play Wizardry 7, would you recommend the DOS version or the Windows "Gold" edition? Apparently the later has an automap function which sounds great because I'm not going to do any manual mapping. But it's also an ancient Windows app, is it even possible to run on modern systems? (I'm on Windows 8) And are there any other things I should know about, if it's oddly inferior in any other way?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Forgedbow posted:

The automap is pretty much the single advantage to gold. That and the art assets which, eh, depends on personal tastes I guess. I don't mind mapping by hand, and the dos version seemed much much more responsive and faster playing than gold, which just felt clunky in comparison, so I'd go with dos.

I think they broke some minor game mechanics in gold, but that may just be anecdotal. Also will not run on 64bit windows.

Well, automapping is a pretty massive improvement, so if the negatives to the DOS version aren't that big, I guess I'll try getting the windows version to work. Otherwise I probably will just skip 7. I don't want to have to deal with mapping anything by hand ever again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

George Ziets is the world's greatest Ideas Guy.