Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pikey
Dec 25, 2004

THE PWNER posted:

I picked up Arcanum and Divine Divinity from GoG a couple of weeks ago and have been playing them sporadically. Arcanum is fun but the combat is pretty lacking in my opinion, and I havn't opened it up since a couple days ago where I ran into those golems in the mine in the main quest line that break your weapons and kill everyone in 1 hit.
Maybe I just sucked at it.

Congratulations, you've just come to the worst part of the game. While arcanum is exceptional for its setting and storytelling (not so much of the main arc, but the characters and side quests), a dungeon crawler it is not. They clearly did not have character builds in mind when they crafted the mines (the big dungeons of the game). If you pick up Dog in your party it makes your combat significantly easier, almost trivially so.

Alternatively you can pick up the Krupps balance mod which does a great deal to make tech characters much more viable. In the end though, they will always be less effective that magic characters, as to be effective in combat you not only need to invest points to make your gadgets, you also have to invest in totally separate stats and skills to effectively use them. Unless you're PC is solely crafting items for your party members to use themselves, a tech character will always be less effective than a magic or melee bruiser at the same level.

Unfortunate, but then again once you know what's good and what's not, there's so many ways to break the game with any character it becomes a mute point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU