Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Cardiovorax posted:

I'm gonna be a bit negative here, but I've played it for five or six hours and I have to say that I honestly just don't understand how it took off the way it did at all. I just don't find anything about it fun. It feels like a game that should've been made in the year 2000 or so. The world is big but feels completely dead. The NPCs are cookie cutter and have no real personality to them. Your first major quest is a long-term obligation to pay off your mortgage and you'll be kicked out of your home if you don't. Combat feels clunky and the skills just didn't seem interesting at all.

:shrug: Maybe there is something about this game I'm just completely not getting, but the only sense it which it felt nostalgic to me was by reminding me of all the things that there worst about games from the era it supposedly tries to be throwback to. If you've ever played Dungeon Lords, I think you'll know what I mean.

Outward is super jank but has a couple really cool roleplay ideas like descending into the caverns under the magic mountain to learn to use magic and then finding out it requires a permanent trade of HP to MP points.

It does adventure immersion pretty well and the skill and itemization progression moves pretty decently from mundane to fantastical.

edit: Weirdly, I'm playing Valheim recently and it's been feeling a lot like Outward at times.

Nancy fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Feb 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

JustJeff88 posted:

Are you playing the Mac version? Thuryl did an LP of the old Mac version, which is the only one with mouse support. It's on the archives and quite good.

The weird MSX2 port of M&M2 also has mouse support, and I assume the PC-98 and X68000 versions do as well. The mouse implementation for MSX2 kinda sucks though, way more comfortable to navigate with arrows and hotkeys.

I have lots of fond memories of getting TPK'd in Might & Magic 1 right at the start. I eventually just started saving after every battle or before I opened one of the numerous locked rooms, which is extra fun because you have to walk your rear end back to the inn each time.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
I always rotate through a stable of names matched to archetypes.

Francibald is my paladin dwarf always, Iago is my thief and ideally a dwarf, Blorth is my fighter who is a dwarf, the dwarf Desi Ironboot is a priest or ranger, etc.

Oh and Halifax the elf mage.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
Yeah Vogel's been doing remake/updates to his older games in between new game releases and personally I appreciate him for it. They're not mindblowingly different but the new QoL stuff and larger viewport is nice.

I want him to do Nethergate sometime.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
His isometric tile set just looks way better than the 3/4ths one he used for QW.

Also realized yesterday when rummaging for my old Spiderweb discs that Nethergate got a remake already! Totally forgot that Nethergate Resurrection was A Thing.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
I got a new game in the mail.

Definitely one of the dumbest things I've bought, especially because I haven't finished Wiz I yet.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
It's barely an RPG and more just a series of hallways with an incredibly poor plot and poo poo characters.

The best thing the base campaign does is provide context for some cool moments in the expansions, but it is not at all worth playing through those 50+ hours just to fluff up a couple moments later on.

The best advice anyone could ever follow for NWN and NWN2 is to skip straight to the expansion packs.

Nancy fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Mar 24, 2021

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
Weird request, but does anyone have a good source of box scans for all sides of Amiga/Atari ST boxes?

Specifically Laser Squad, I want to do up a box for the MSX version to sit on my shelf.

I have decent scans of the ZX Spectrum box already.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
You might enjoy the original Divine Divinity. It's more narrative focused than Diablo and has more jokes, but it does a similar kite, loot, health potion, mp potion thing and there's plenty of dark fantasy in it.

Also similar but way more jank is Kult: Heretic Kingdoms.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
I agree with your spectrum and It makes sense. You can pretty clearly see the progression from random dungeon games, to Diablo removing many of the negative random elements and focusing on combat and loot, to iterating that design in Diablo 2 with skill trees and even more loot.

It's kind of funny/annoying really, because a lot of what I liked about Diablo in the pacing and presentation was dropped entirely by Diablo 3. At launch it was a bit different, but Diablo 3 now almost feels like a mobile game in the way it limits player input in favor of quick screen-clearing and continual loot showers.

Also gently caress the jungle in Diablo 2, I think I only really got past that once or twice and every other time my playthroughs stalled out there cause it really sucked.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Angrymog posted:

Playing Bards Tale IV now - quite like it mechanically, don't like that vendors don't restock - one component - fairy dust - is needed for both one of the good boozes and master lockpicks.

The map and movement aren't good though - blob movement runs afoul of their more organic level design, and free movement performs badly.

This is one I'm super curious about. I've played a little bit through the opening and the underground seemed pretty engaging & it didn't seem to warrant the negative press.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Random Stranger posted:

I'm going to have to buy it just to experience the shittiness myself.

It's baffling, every decision made feels slightly off. Like I first noticed the character creation menu and selection is just weird and poorly set up & this seems to carry through to the rest of the game.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
I keep meaning to play Wiz8, but my dumb brain somehow convinces me to try and start with Wiz6 every time, then I get burnt out on Wiz roughly 1/4 to 1/2 through Wiz6.

This process has happened 5 times and I leave just enough time in between to need to re-research class changing in Wiz6 every time.

Nancy fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jan 18, 2022

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
I think this weekend I'm going to sit down with Wiz8 and try and get over my brainworms. Last time I tried I used the GOG version and had to also add a registry key manually to get it to start, is that sort of fuckery still needed?

Also on modern FPP dungo things, there's a surprisingly decent dungeon crawler on mobile and Steam called The Quest that I've been having fun with recently. It's only one character so not a blobber, but it plays a lot like M&M3-5.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
Alternatively, accept that Wiz6 class changing is kinda a dumb system and use the Cosmic Forge editor to give you the stats you need to switch when you want to.

Miss chance, spells, and skills are the primary benefits of class switching and since your stats are going to reset anyways just save yourself the pain.

Nancy fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Jan 30, 2022

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Genpei Turtle posted:

You can’t edit your party with the Cosmic Forge editor though.

What you can do is create a treasure chest or event or something else that gives you a bunch of ankhs which you can then use to bump your stats up to whatever you want.

Weird, I could've sworn I've done save editing with Cosmic Forge. Is there another utility?

edit: had to dig a bit but I think it was actually BaneEdit that I used last I played

Nancy fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jan 30, 2022

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Dr. Quarex posted:

Phantasie -> Phantasie II* -> Phantasie III

Okaaaay, I don't know if this fits super well, but there's a Japanese PC exclusive Phantasie IV and I know at least on MSX you can take your characters from I-IV.

This is on my List of Computer Game Things To Do but I haven't gotten very far in Phantasie I yet.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Naar posted:

A quick recommendation for https://store.steampowered.com/app/1539750/Realms_of_Antiquity_The_Shattered_Crown/, which I played through a few months ago and is really fun. It nails the early Ultima/Avernum sense of a large overworld where you can go pretty much anywhere you like. The only criticism I have is that the TI-99 emulator it runs on is too slow by default (because that's what it was like in the olden days), but you can edit a file to let you speed things up.

I've been really curious about this one, I love the way it looks - does it have a lot of arcane minmaxer traps or is it pretty chill?

I've also been curious about this duo that popped up on steam if anyone has plated these: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1749710/Legends_of_Murder_Collection/

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
edit: misread, nevermind!

Nancy fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Feb 8, 2022

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

rujasu posted:

Finally getting into Might and Magic Book One: The Secret of the Inner Sanctum after bouncing off it a few times. I'm starting to get used to some of its quirks and enjoy it, but having to remember to press S after every battle is a pretty noteworthy level of BS.

Which version are you playing?

edit: not technically on PC, but I picked up this recently cause it was pretty cheap

Only difference I've noticed so far is the addition of a really jank "tutorial" area before you're dropped into the first town where you're saving a caravan from attack, otherwise runs and plays pretty similarly to the PC version.

Nancy fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Feb 19, 2022

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
If I'm going to be playing M&M World of Xeen, do I want to play the CD version or the Floppy version? Purchased through GOG and it's giving me a choice on start up.

Trying to avoid a Wizardry 7 Gold situation.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
Awesome thanks, going to give CD a go and hope the VA isn't annoying!

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
If you're looking to do fantasy stuff in a grid-based fantasy world, M&MX is a perfectly good dungeoncrawler for $7.50. It's way more generic than the earlier M&Ms, but I had a good time with it. There's better modern FPP dungeoncrawlers for sure like the Grimrocks or Vaporum (more so 2).

One thing to note though is that the Steam version still launches through Uplay.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
It's an important distinction, I just lump everything together as "FPP dungeoncrawler." To put it another way, if some liked M&M3, I'd still suggest Dungeon Master.

To wit

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
M&M talk inspired me to bust out my PS2 copy of M&M8 and record the intro bit with some commentary on the subtitles: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfEHRsMzh3Q

I think the company who ported the game to the PS2 thought it was complicated for console players because they added in a short tutorial that makes no sense in context. Nothing groundbreaking, but was surprising coming from the PC release

Aside from the tutorial, the only addition seems to be integration with a PS2 printer called "PopEgg." I have no idea what it prints, but the manual mentions postcards and stickers.

Nancy fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Nov 24, 2022

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
The easiest way to describe how it feels is "lovely King's Field" so Shadow Tower is a pretty apt comparison. You get used to the movement eventually though, the worst part is actually the painfully slow mouse cursor you have to use for menus.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
I noticed this a little late, but one of the better entries in the old-school Japanese CRPG series Lunatic Dawn is on sale for $3 in the steam sale https://store.steampowered.com/app/335420/_/ & has a translation patch out. Can't speak to the quality of the patch directly, but it looks comprehensive from the patch notes.

It's a mix of dungeon/exploration RPG and some life sim elements. The series' gimmick is that every game world is randomly generated to a lesser or greater extent with differences in cities, npcs, events, dungeons, etc. PotB is one of the more streamlined entries, but still has a decent bit of randomization. I'm also a sucker for the UI style, reminds me of old Mac games.

Nancy fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jan 5, 2023

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
I've played mostly BoF/PotB and they're a pretty good time! I picked up LDIII & LDIV in a combo auction a bit ago but haven't yet done the work of getting them running.

The other LD game I've put the most into is Tempest on PS2, which is an LD game with a fixed world state, a defined main character, and an overarching story...so not a LD game at all :v:

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Genpei Turtle posted:

3 and 4 are supposed to be bad. They change it to more of a Diablo-style RPG, and they apparently are geared toward online instance hosting that no longer exists. The PS1 version of 3 is supposed to be better since it's not balanced for multiplayer.

That would explain why copies of it were so cheap, then! I'm fond of older JP computer RPGs & I tend to play really poo poo games mostly so I'm sure I'll enjoy it on some level.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Genpei Turtle posted:

Me too, if you have any obscure recommendations I'd definitely like to hear them. Especially ones that can still work on modern systems. (Still sad that my copy of Onnakenshi Asuka Kenzan is only useful as a coaster nowadays, I loved that game)

I'm enjoying the LD1 impressions & tips, I have enough in my backlog that I'm glad to experience it vicariously :v: Asuka's one of the reasons I haven't gotten rid of my DC setup yet, the other being the Sorcerian port everyone seems to hate.

I'm not sure how obscure these are but off the top of my head:
    - Brandish 4 by Falcom installs and runs natively in Win10 for me, isometric and a little more puzzle-y than the other Brandish games. DxWnd can mess with the window settings. Also on PC98 platforms as Brandish VT.
    - Dinosaur Resurrection is similarly easy to get running & is a remake of an older Falcom blobber.
    - Midgard by Baroque is a real early 3D RPG that ran on Win10 with just a few gfx glitches after I ran the 16-bit installer on a VM and copied the files over. It's not "good" by modern standards but it is "interesting."
    - Tir-nan-og on MSX is the 3rd entry in SystemSoft's also-ran random gen RPG series & easy to emulate. Highlights include a randomization algorithm for towns, NPCs, dungeons, etc. that runs very slowly. Also has a PC88 version I haven't tried that may or may not run better.
    - Arcus & Arcus II are also on MSX, CRPGs by the studio that would eventually become the Namco Tales Studio.
I know there are digital storefronts that have all of those aside from Midgard. Falcom and SystemSoft in particular put a lot of their Windows games up for sale outside of Project EGG.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Genpei Turtle posted:

Curious if you know any digital storefronts in particular (that aren't Project EGG, I'm not paying a monthly fee for the privilege of playing games I already bought) that are good, especially if their "downloads" aren't Steam keys that I won't be able to use.

Falcom sells a lot of their 'older' PC catalogue DRM-free on DLsite of all places. Dinosaur is there for 1,100 yen and they have sales semi-regularly. It's very much ymmv though, Dinosaur ran okay native and well under DxWnd for me, but Sorcerian Original & Forever took some tinkering and I never got Eiyuu Densetsu IV to run well at all. Brandish 4 I have on disc & if it is the same as the DLsite version it runs well.

SystemSoft is there as well but uses the DLsite DRM so I haven't bothered. Aside from those there's also a pretty decent indie presence if you can avoid the questionable stuff.

I know Artdink sells some games on their own website they haven't put on Steam, but I haven't tried to buy any that way.

Anything MSX & PC98 is monopolized by EGG unfortunately. They have good big box collections for Sorcerian, Dragon Slayer, etc., but those are annoyingly limited.

Also that stat system sounds wild. I feel like I get the idea as LD is very much a story game, but it's weird how so much of the base system is hidden. Guides I've read only sometimes make mention of main stats governing skill caps and I hadn't read about the random stat caps anywhere.

Nancy fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Mar 26, 2023

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
I watched this Youtube video on DragonStrike recently & it made it look pretty neat, but also like something I wouldn't really want to play https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=allqTr07A1s.

Related, but I'm thinking of starting up the Ravenloft (Strahd's and Stone) games, any pointers?

Chubby Henparty posted:

Omg thank you for posting Sorcerian, I'd asked a long time ago in the whats the name of this game thread and the best I could describe was 'I think it was a zelda for PC, and not Zeliard, but greener'.

I haven't played the English MS-DOS version but I think it's largely the original Sorcerian experience and probably runs about as well as any of the early iterations. The only thing you'd be missing are the 3rd party expansion packs or additional scenarios of some of the later ports, but the gameplay never really changes.

It does kind of look like Zelda II.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Dr. Quarex posted:

Sorcerian was so unlike any other game I played at the time that my childhood self would definitely recommend it, but it was probably pretty simplistic once you got beyond the weird hybrid platforming action/party RPG mechanics. You could grind forever on any place in a level that monsters spawned and dropped in front of your party, which was my first experience with putting something heavy on the keyboard and going to bed to reap the rewards

Sorcerian is a weird game, the gameplay is overall pretty simple, but I think working through each scenario has a nice adventuring vibe. There's also the odd TTRPG-esque mechanics like how characters can get day jobs.

Genpei Turtle posted:

Is Sorcerian Original any good/does it function on modern OSes? Poking around it looks like there's actually a digital download version in a few places (if they don't require a Japanese credit card) and I was considering picking it up.

I think so, but I really like Sorcerian. Sorcerian Original is like a 'definitive' remaster of the MSX/PC88/PC98/MS-DOS game & it plays pretty much exactly the same and has the same scenario set as that release. It will run on modern systems, but with differing amounts of success, e.g. my laptop chugs on it but my desktop was okay & being able to scale your display to 4:3 is important. The Falcom DLsite store link I posted earlier has the Original & Forever pack which includes the 15 original game scenarios and the 6 Forever Scenarios mixed in.

Just to add, emulating the PC98 version through Neko Project II (and presumably Neko Project II Kai) is pretty easy & will give you access to every scenario that was remade in Original plus the add-on disks like Sengoku, Pyramid, Gilgamesh, Visitors from Space, etc. It ends up being a lot of Sorcerian.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
Started Strahd's with a Cleric and Mage and having a good time so far! Had an initial hurdle on the first encounter because the assassin kept killing one or the other of my characters, but once I could rest my cleric was flame swording through wargs like they were butter.

I'm finding it surprisingly more accessible than I expected & I'm happy my insistence on keeping a 10-key on my keyboard is paying off. Wild that for keys there's pretty much pause, time check, and three mirrored key sets for movement though.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
Good news! The company that claims to own the Wiz6, 7, 8, and Gold copyright and "Wizardry" series trademark is coming out with a new blockchain Wizardry game!

https://www.wiz-eternalcrypt.com/en/

Oh wait that's bad news, sorry Wizardry is dead.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
I know it's a cash grab game that the company farmed out to some dumb blockchain/nft outfit so no thought was put into it, but I'm struggling to imagine the person who would be excited to see "Wizardry" and "blockchain" together in the same sentence.

Drecom also shopped out for a mobile game called Wizardry Variants Daphne that looks marginally more interesting? https://wizardry.info/daphne/en/ But kinda seems like vaporware too.

The rights to the various parts of the Wizardry IP have gotta be arcane as heck at this point.

Random Stranger posted:

I think I'll stick with Japanese Wizardry games, thank you.

But Random Stranger, these are Japanese Wizardry games!

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Chev posted:

It's actually refreshingly simple: Drecom owns the Wizardry IP and the concrete Wiz 6-8 games. Any new game that comes out, or old game republished, is done through licensing the IP from them. You might see GMO Internet as the license holder in some copyright notices but that's because Drecom used to be part of them.

They don't own 1-5 because they weren't part of the package. This goes all the way back to Sir-Tech's fuckery with their canadian holding built for the purpose of not paying Wizardry's creators their royalties. The ensuing lawsuit and settlement resulted in Sir-Tech owning the Wiz IP but not any game on which Greenberg had worked.

What's the deal with the re-releases of the PS3 games and the Five Ordeals? Limited deals struck with Drecom?

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
Switch has the Etrian collection now too, which while pretty expensive is a really great port. I actually like the mapping system after getting used to it compared to fumbling for my stylus all the time.

Is that a DOS port of the quite terrible Cosmic Soldier: Psychic War? I had no idea Kogado kusoge got ported during the era :v:

And yeah count me as someone who likes Lockdown more than the original Vaporum.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
Finally got off my butt to do the (admittedly minimal) legwork needed to get Wizardry 8 running and holy poo poo

I would ask "where has this been all my life" but the answer is right in front of me, on my desktop, installed for almost a decade while I entertained stupid thoughts like playing through all of 6 & 7 beforehand.

I'm running Dwarf Lord, Cat Samurai, Hobbit Bard, Gnome Gadgeteer, Elf Ranger, and Dracon Psionic & it's going well so far, but I'm a little worried about missing out on banger spells.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
Good to know I didn't pick any obvious trap choices! My Lord, Sam, Bard, Ranger combo was feeling a little generic fantasy so the Gadgeteer and Psionic was an attempt to break out of that a little.

Enemy speed hasn't bothered me so far, but thanks for the link!