Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dorky
Mar 10, 2012

Casca posted:

There was (is?) a megathread on Den of Demons about Naomi and Grimm. Short version- StephG pairs up a 70cm Hound and a 43cm Narae and makes loads of creepy photo stories about their OMG tru wuv, including holding a mock marriage that other doll owners attended. She always protested that Grimm was just a very tall fae creature while Naomi was a short human but it still looked pedotastic as poo poo.

Edit: Here, if you have a DoA account take a look at this.

Well, suddenly all those threads I saw titled, "Is it okay to pair a super tall doll with a short one?" (or some variation thereof) suddenly make sense... and are immensely more creepy.

These Dollshe backlog problems sound worst every time I hear about them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned

Dorky posted:

These Dollshe backlog problems sound worst every time I hear about them.

Don't get me wrong, they're catching up, but the June/July DOA waiting list hasn't moved at all yet.

My order was in March and I'm just now "before shipping", which with Dollshe's nazi standards could be a month or more.

Green Jacket
Oct 23, 2008

Suddenly I have a refreshing mint flavor!
Oh cool, thread's not totally dead.

So I have a Soom Aphan human body eventually coming from the company, and I plan to stick the Teschen/Mylo rabbit parts I bought off the Marketplace on it.

Am I going to have to restring the whole doll just to put the legs on, or can I just pop off the human legs and stick the rabbit ones on? They're just from the knees down.

Goldirocks
Mar 17, 2008
You should be able to just remove the legs and string the rabbit feet on (very, very carefully). Just be super careful so the string doesn't go up into the torso. When I'm working on restringing I tend to use a ribbon to keep hold of the elastic and a soft knitting needle to brace it against a part so that way it doesn't vanish on you. I used to do that for my Impldoll faun with his human and faun legs, it should work. I've never restrung a soom before, but I don't see why it would be too much different from any other doll.

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned
Most brands have the arm elastic as a separate piece from the torso/leg piece, so removing the feet should allow you to take off the shin as well and replace it.

But only do one leg at a time! They might be the same piece of elastic, and you don't want both ends to pop up inside the torso at once. D:

Casca
Jan 25, 2006

The Saints must Flow.
Get some hemostats off of Ebay or Amazon, they're invaluable for any sort of operation involving partial or total removal of dolly limbs. Need to swap out legs? Pull the knee out, stretch and clamp the elastic next to the thigh. Need to make sure the elastic stays even in the arms when doing a full restring? Pull the elastic through both shoulders and clamp, then put on both arms before releasing. And so on and so on...

Green Jacket
Oct 23, 2008

Suddenly I have a refreshing mint flavor!
Oh wow, thanks for all the helpful advice!

Now just waiting on the parts to get back from being blushed and to finish my Layaway on the Aphan.

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009
Hey everyone, we're thinking of putting together a swap in the coming months. Probably something holiday themed, like Halloween or Christmas. If we went through with it, would everyone prefer to have it held in here, or should I make a separate thread on DOA? It would be a closed swap. I just think having a DOA thread would keep things tidy.

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned
I'd be okay with having a swap in either forum, really. It might get some weird reactions from DOA people since I don't know how their swaps go there.

Are you thinking of a secret santa thing, or just a "mail each other stuff we don't need" thing?

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
It would be fun to see DoA's reaction to "My doll got a frog telling me to get out AND a man exposing his anus! Best Christmas ever! :dance:"

milpreve
Feb 29, 2012
DoA is convenient because it has PMs for everybody, if partners are secret. If partners aren't secret, then it doesn't matter.

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned
I guess I'll save these SD13 sized pants for the swap, then. I swore they'd fit when I looked at the measurements. T_T I should have gone with making some myself from the beginning.

Unless someone wants to buy them off me? Wicked Stitchery white brocade male pants. SD13 size I *think*. They should fit a shorter/thinner guy just fine. Dollshe's rear end is too big, and legs are too long.

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009

Little Miss RKO posted:

I guess I'll save these SD13 sized pants for the swap, then. I swore they'd fit when I looked at the measurements. T_T I should have gone with making some myself from the beginning.

Unless someone wants to buy them off me? Wicked Stitchery white brocade male pants. SD13 size I *think*. They should fit a shorter/thinner guy just fine. Dollshe's rear end is too big, and legs are too long.

Do you have a picture/price in mind?

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned
Here's the pants. I was thinking $6 shipped. I prolly paid 10-15 for them. I can't remember.

IMAG0169 by A Humfleet, on Flickr

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009
Bummer, I'm looking for stuff in dark shades for my SD13 girl.

In other news, I came across this thread while browsing DOA. Uhm...:stare:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Grape Juice Vampire posted:

Bummer, I'm looking for stuff in dark shades for my SD13 girl.

In other news, I came across this thread while browsing DOA. Uhm...:stare:

Never before have I seen such a collection of dull animes.

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned
Wow. That is... a lot of dolls. I'm going to save that picture, and email it to my boyfriend every time he calls ME a crazy doll lady. O_o Seriously.

So many thousands of dollars. @_@

She could likely sell her collection and buy a new car.

Dorky
Mar 10, 2012
That is a ridiculous amount of dolls. How do you even handle that many? :o

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009
I wonder if she's the girl the folks at the Boston meet told me about. Apparently there's a girl who owns ~75 dolls and sucks on their feet when she's sad.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Sadly the picture isn't the best, but I wanted to share this with you guys:

She body blushed the tail using cheap acrylic paint, and is shocked that it's already chipping.

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009
Good god, it's worse than I imagined. At...at least she can wipe it? :smithicide:

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned
Does anyone in this thread actually collect Monster High dolls? I know they're mentioned in the OP, but no one's actually brought them up.

I ask because I just got one, and... :allears:

Clockwork Eggplant
Nov 3, 2010

Then he said he has hair, it's just that it's scalp-colored.
I do! I bought a couple a while back, intending to try my hand at repainting them. But they've been sitting on my desk since then, still with their factory faceups. It's a combo of me needing to go out and buy more paint, and being intimidated by all the cool repaints out that are out there :negative: I'm not usually a fan of that style of doll, but I find MH to be pretty adorable, especially when they've been repainted.

I'll try to post some pics if I ever actually repaint mine. I've never done a fully-painted faceup like this before, so the results should be...interesting.

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned
Yes! Same here, except that I've fallen in love with the dolls that are either hard to obtain (Venus) or adorable as they are to me (Cupid)!

My plan is to buy whatever ones are on clearance and experiment with those. I think it'll be neat to try to carve out their eyes an replace them with acrylic or glass ones!

Edit: And the coolest part of these series is that each character actually has a different face! A rare thing, especially from Mattel.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
My problem with MH is that I love the bodies and monster parts but I haaate their faces. That horrible duck-lip thing they got going on drives me crazy. I've debated getting a doll and just getting a new head for it, but I already got enough planned out dolls as is.

milpreve
Feb 29, 2012
I got an MH gargoyle to play with, but ended up liking her. I might play with a build-kit if I get money for hobbies again. I want to make a red Chinese dragon-lady.

Casca
Jan 25, 2006

The Saints must Flow.

I wonder if she's the girl the folks at the Boston meet told me about. Apparently there's a girl who owns ~75 dolls and sucks on their feet when she's sad.

Rynn007 does in fact suck on doll toes, specifically her Els. :gonk:
I can't find a link to the original thread about it on Den of Demons but a search shows it being mentioned in passing several times.

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009

Casca posted:

I can't find a link to the original thread about it on Den of Demons but a search shows it being mentioned in passing several times.

That cannot be good for you. :stare: Man, when doll people think you're too weird you really should just give up.

Edit: I just picked up some Testors Dullcote tonight with the intention of doing my SD girl's faceup myself. Can anyone recommend a good affordable set of chalk pastels that I could find on Amazon or eBay?

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned

That cannot be good for you. :stare: Man, when doll people think you're too weird you really should just give up.

Edit: I just picked up some Testors Dullcote tonight with the intention of doing my SD girl's faceup myself. Can anyone recommend a good affordable set of chalk pastels that I could find on Amazon or eBay?

I use a tin of "conte a paris" pastel pencils. Don't remember how much they are, though, since I bought them for illustration classes initially!

Wandering Knitter posted:

My problem with MH is that I love the bodies and monster parts but I haaate their faces. That horrible duck-lip thing they got going on drives me crazy. I've debated getting a doll and just getting a new head for it, but I already got enough planned out dolls as is.

They look a LOT like BJD sculpts when their makeup is off, actually. Yeah, some are pouty, but some are also adorable. Here's some faces with default, blank, and custom paint.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

^^^ Whoa. That before/after is amazing.

Dorky
Mar 10, 2012
I only have one MH doll and I have planned to get more so I could customize them. Of course, seeing as how I'm so lazy, I haven't even done anything to the one I already have.

I find that a lot of the (better) customizations make them much more attractive to me than their default looks.

Casca posted:

What the... Just, what?

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009
Relevant article posted on FYBJDM: Monster High Modding Tutorial. I know there's another kicking around that's just faceups for them, but I don't have it on hand. I'll post it if I find it.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Oh, God. Linked from that site is dollyhair.com, which sells doll hair fragrances. How tempting is that?

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned
I also saw a OOAK MH doll that had been body blushed, eyes replaced with glass, real lashes added, and rooted with mohair.

It sold on ebay for $125 o__o

Edit:

Relevant article posted on FYBJDM: Monster High Modding Tutorial. I know there's another kicking around that's just faceups for them, but I don't have it on hand. I'll post it if I find it.
Reroot before you paint! :gonk:

I saw some posts on a customizing forum pretty much saying a girl put her MSC on too thick or something, so when she rooted the doll's hair, it cracked the makeup off.

moonsour fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Aug 25, 2012

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009

Little Miss RKO posted:

I also saw a OOAK MH doll that had been body blushed, eyes replaced with glass, real lashes added, and rooted with mohair.

It sold on ebay for $125 o__o

Edit:

Reroot before you paint! :gonk:

I saw some posts on a customizing forum pretty much saying a girl put her MSC on too thick or something, so when she rooted the doll's hair, it cracked the makeup off.

I read somewhere else that you should always wrap the doll's scalp before you do any painting. Masking tape, paper towels, the usual.

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned
Now I'm curious, an I'm gonna trawl the forums full of 10 year olds for more tutorials.

Edit: This appears to be a site that has links to a ton of tutorials, but I haven't actually vetted the quality of the tutorials yet.

It seems to be very similar to BJDs, aside from acetone being kryptonite instead of just "workfastandrinse" like with most resins.

Ahaha, didn't paste the link. http://mhdh4u.webs.com/

moonsour fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Aug 25, 2012

Clockwork Eggplant
Nov 3, 2010

Then he said he has hair, it's just that it's scalp-colored.
Here's a nice repaint tutorial. Lots of pictures showing of the process, and the end result looks great. And another one, though I wish the photos were a bit bigger.

I want to try rerooting one of the MH dolls I bought, probably the Draculaura since I'm not a fan of the pink and black hair. There's another, pricier, doll that I've had for a while that I've been wanting to reroot but have been too afraid of screwing up to try, so a practice run with a cheaper doll would be good. Thing is, both the MH dolls already have really cute hairdos :ohdear:. I guess there's another trip to Target in my future!

Speaking of putting eyes in MH dolls, I saw this custom that someone made, and it looks amazing. How would you go about making something like this? Just getting a sharp exacto blade and going to town?

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned

Clockwork Eggplant posted:

Speaking of putting eyes in MH dolls, I saw this custom that someone made, and it looks amazing. How would you go about making something like this? Just getting a sharp exacto blade and going to town?

Pretty much! Cut the shape of the eyes out with a exacto blade and sand the edges even. Then you need to cut a slit in the back of the head to put the eyes in + enough room for a hot glue gun (LOW temp) or however you want to secure them inside the head. Probably something permanent since it involve cutting the head open to change them. I'd guess 12mm for size, but I'm not sure.

Edit: I just bought Venus and can't wait til she comes in. =D That hair!

moonsour fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Aug 25, 2012

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Crap, you guys made me do it. I finally jumped in and ordered the black-and-white Frankie Stein and now am plotting how to dress her as a silent-movie siren. :woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Crap, you guys made me do it. I finally jumped in and ordered the black-and-white Frankie Stein and now am plotting how to dress her as a silent-movie siren. :woop:

Yesssss! Post pictures when you do! I just got Venus in the mail today, and she's adorable. ;3

Edit: Just realized there's TWO MH dolls in the OP, actually!

moonsour fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Aug 29, 2012

• Locked thread