Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Hype posted:

Just sent you one! I have like 6 more if anyone else wants one.

I'll take one to my forum name at gmail pretty please. :)

e: Yay thanks!

neongrey fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jun 9, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hype
Apr 12, 2011

neongrey posted:

I'll take one to my forum name at gmail pretty please. :)

Done!

cubivore posted:

Is there some sort of gallery of ugly/badly-modded dolls? The best I could find was the How to Torture Resin tumblr, but there's barely anything there. Maybe I should start my own. Or is this not kosher, because a lot of people in this hobby seem unstable and unable to take any bad things said about their doll?

The only site I can think of is this, but it's not as active as it used to be.

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009

cubivore posted:

Is there some sort of gallery of ugly/badly-modded dolls? The best I could find was the How to Torture Resin tumblr, but there's barely anything there. Maybe I should start my own. Or is this not kosher, because a lot of people in this hobby seem unstable and unable to take any bad things said about their doll?

Den of Demons has an Eye Poison subforum. Haven't looked there in ages, though. The critique subforum on DOA has some pretty good examples too. :v:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I'm looking for spare, unwanted, and broken doll parts to practice body blushing/faceups on. And I'm willing to barter various knitted goods for them! If anyone has any please hit me up a PM, okay? Type, size, origin, whatever.

Sudden Guts Pill
Aug 7, 2009
As if I don't have enough expensive hobbies (I run the Lolita Fashion thread in A/T), I'm really thinking about getting into BJDs. I'm not so good at painting, but I would love to start making doll clothes and such. I have a couple friends into BJDs, so I'm already signed up to Den of Angels. Don't have a doll yet but I'm thinking about buying one sometime this year. It looks like a lot of fun :shobon:

Question, though. I've looked at some of the "unboxing" threads at DOA and uh... is it required to act like your doll is a real person or roleplay as them? It's a tad bit weird and I'd be really uncomfortable doing that.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Sudden Guts Pill posted:

As if I don't have enough expensive hobbies (I run the Lolita Fashion thread in A/T), I'm really thinking about getting into BJDs. I'm not so good at painting, but I would love to start making doll clothes and such. I have a couple friends into BJDs, so I'm already signed up to Den of Angels. Don't have a doll yet but I'm thinking about buying one sometime this year. It looks like a lot of fun :shobon:

Question, though. I've looked at some of the "unboxing" threads at DOA and uh... is it required to act like your doll is a real person or roleplay as them? It's a tad bit weird and I'd be really uncomfortable doing that.

gently caress no. Only the nuts do that.

Sudden Guts Pill
Aug 7, 2009
Thank gently caress. I thought I'd be the weird one going "I got my new doll, it's very pretty, I'm going to make some nice clothes for it".

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009
If you like unboxings, go to YouTube. Less creepy roleplaying, and most (good) owners will give a little review of the doll. They're incredibly useful for when you're looking into buying a doll and want to see how it moves/poses. However, they're also very good at convincing you that you need every doll ever.

If you do decide to get a doll, please let us know! :swoon:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I have a Domuya Venus white-skin I'd be willing to let go for (relatively) cheap if you want a trial doll. It's not up on ebay or anything since I'm in no rush to sell. It's a good doll, I just know I'll never get around to doing anything with her. I have like three other dolls to finish first and Mr. "Top Priority" has scarcely left his box in three years.

Sudden Guts Pill
Aug 7, 2009

Grape Juice Vampire posted:

If you like unboxings, go to YouTube. Less creepy roleplaying, and most (good) owners will give a little review of the doll. They're incredibly useful for when you're looking into buying a doll and want to see how it moves/poses. However, they're also very good at convincing you that you need every doll ever.

If you do decide to get a doll, please let us know! :swoon:

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll check that out. And I'll definitely post pictures of whatever doll I get!

Pick posted:

I have a Domuya Venus white-skin I'd be willing to let go for (relatively) cheap if you want a trial doll. It's not up on ebay or anything since I'm in no rush to sell. It's a good doll, I just know I'll never get around to doing anything with her. I have like three other dolls to finish first and Mr. "Top Priority" has scarcely left his box in three years.

Thanks so much for the offer, but there's already a doll whose sculpt I'm completely head over heels for.

5StarDoll's Chu.

I've been poking around DOA for reviews and such, and it's been recommended to me that I order her from DenverDoll, since communication with 5StarDoll's site can be pretty poor. My friend who has a zillion BJDs has also recommended DenverDoll to me. Mostly I've heard that 5SD has fairly sturdy resin, nice posing and good quality for the price. Does anyone else have experience with either 5SD or DenverDoll?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Sudden Guts Pill posted:

I've been poking around DOA for reviews and such, and it's been recommended to me that I order her from DenverDoll, since communication with 5StarDoll's site can be pretty poor. My friend who has a zillion BJDs has also recommended DenverDoll to me. Mostly I've heard that 5SD has fairly sturdy resin, nice posing and good quality for the price. Does anyone else have experience with either 5SD or DenverDoll?

I've ordered multiple dolls through DenverDoll and they are excellent.

sourbugs
Nov 10, 2005
Mmm, I can't wait to eat that monkey.
Great thread, I was wondering if any goons were into customizing dolls. I'm not in the big expensive resin dolls, Tonner is about as pricey as I've gone so far. That's not to say I can't be swayed. Anywho, I've recently gotten into obitsu. Gotta say, I really love them. Good price, good quality and wonderful articulation. My first full obitsu custom was this little 11cm body with the parabox Coco head. I adore this little doll. All up, including wig, outfit, eyes, came in around $100 for anyone interested in doing up their own. I spent extra on a really nice wig and eyes from different sellers on ebay.

Currently working on the Muffin/Momo head. Hope to have it done sometime this month.

Casca
Jan 25, 2006

The Saints must Flow.

Sudden Guts Pill posted:

I have a 5star Aiden and I'm actually really impressed with him. He's very heavy and solid, decently engineered and the sculpt detail is nice for a tiny. As for the dealer you use, I would have recommended you go through Mint on Card instead but they just now stopped carrying 5star. The one time I bought from Denverdoll I ended up having to bully them into helping me replace a doll body because the company changed their resin without telling anyone. Still, they're probably easier to deal with if something goes wrong than a flaky Chinese company with poor English skills, which is why I ordered from them in first place instead of going through the company.

Sudden Guts Pill
Aug 7, 2009
I was actually recommended Mint On Card, too! But as you said, they've stopped carrying 5SD. I'll be looking at them in the future for clothes, wigs, etc, or even subsequent dolls. For now it looks like I'll be getting my doll from DenverDoll once I have the funds.

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009
Do you have a DOA account yet? I got my 5SD Tong Tong for a HUGE discount (and then sold her for a huge profit) from the MP. Of course, it takes time to get MP access, but buying secondhand can get you some really good deals.

Sudden Guts Pill
Aug 7, 2009
Yup, got one. I was wondering about the Marketplace. There are subforums for questions about companies, feedback, etc, but for some reason I couldn't find the place where one actually buys or sells their secondhand dolls. Is it because I'm a new member and don't have access yet? I may have missed these details while reading the FAQs. I would love to buy secondhand if I could!

Edit: Well you've already answered that question about not having access because I'm new. Boy do I feel silly. About how long does it take to gain access?

Sudden Guts Pill fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jul 7, 2012

Casca
Jan 25, 2006

The Saints must Flow.
You have to be registered for a month and have made 40 posts to get Limited MP Access, which is all you need to buy and sell dolls and so on. I forget what the requirements are for Full MP Access, but you only need that to run splits and group orders.

Sudden Guts Pill
Aug 7, 2009
Sweet, thanks! I've already been registered for a full month but didn't start posting for a little while (I get nervous at new websites so I try to do a lot of lurking first).

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Sudden Guts Pill posted:

Sweet, thanks! I've already been registered for a full month but didn't start posting for a little while (I get nervous at new websites so I try to do a lot of lurking first).

DoA is really touchy about "spam" replies, so be careful when posting. Last year when I joined I ended up spending an evening replying to topics on DoA because I had broken my tooth (:gonk:) and couldn't sleep from the pain.

They ended up deleting almost all of my posts because there was "no way" anyone could post that much in one night. :sigh:

Sudden Guts Pill
Aug 7, 2009
Eesh! I'll calm down then. I made ten replies today so I should probably give it a rest. Thanks for the warning on that, I figured I would just look and comment until I got bored with it tonight.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
The good news is that even if they delete your posts, as long as you made it up to the 40 you'll still get MP access. :v:

In other doll related news I got some watercolor pencils and a practice head for my face ups. Now I just need some sealant!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Is there a good place to get Mr. Super Clear in the US?

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009

Pick posted:

Is there a good place to get Mr. Super Clear in the US?

I could have sworn The Junky Spot sold it, but I guess they either ran out or stopped carrying it. :psyduck: I know there are a few other sealants that are something like the 2nd best to use on face ups/body blushing available in the US, though, Testors Dullcote being one of them.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

I could have sworn The Junky Spot sold it, but I guess they either ran out or stopped carrying it. :psyduck: I know there are a few other sealants that are something like the 2nd best to use on face ups/body blushing available in the US, though, Testors Dullcote being one of them.

I'm going to pick up Testors Dullcote for my test sealant needs, and I'll let you guys know how it works.

I also promise to take a picture of my first horrible face up! :shepface:

Chrysolith
Sep 13, 2008

I've been really looking into the BJD hobby a lot recently. A friend of mine has been into the hobby for a year or so now, and his constant discussion on it has finally rubbed off on me. That, and I do enjoy dress up stuff. I originally wanted to get an MSD, since it'd be cheaper and smaller, but then I found the Iplehouse Emilia, and I fell in love with it (specifically face up C and the tan skin, like in the model photo). Too bad she's so damned expensive. :arghfist:

Impldoll has some cheaper dolls, and they aren't too bad looking (at least the the 58cm and 26cm), and they have an event to get a free smaller doll if you spend a certain amount!

So this post isn't too boring, here are some pictures of my friend's dolls, Natalie (Elfdoll Rainydoll Yuan) and Charity (Fairyland Bisou).

e: Pick, have you tried looking at amazon for MSC? It looks like they sell it there.

Chrysolith fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jul 8, 2012

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Chrysolith posted:

I've been really looking into the BJD hobby a lot recently. A friend of mine has been into the hobby for a year or so now, and his constant discussion on it has finally rubbed off on me. That, and I do enjoy dress up stuff. I originally wanted to get an MSD, since it'd be cheaper and smaller, but then I found the Iplehouse Emilia, and I fell in love with it (specifically face up C and the tan skin, like in the model photo). Too bad she's so damned expensive. :arghfist:
I will probably never buy another non-Iple doll as long as I live. They've consistently been the absolute best. (And I've run through about 20 different dolls, plus heads from even more, though I only have seven now, most of which are Orientdolls. Which I still like, but I have all of them I wanted.)

quote:

e: Pick, have you tried looking at amazon for MSC? It looks like they sell it there.
Ahh, yep! Expensive as hell, but worth it. This is not a hobby for saving money :smith:.

Lassarina
Dec 6, 2011

A little of everything, I have craft ADD.
I bought my first can of MSC on amazon, but as I am about to run out, I looked around on ebay and found it much cheaper. I think I paid 20 for the can on amazon and the other day I scored 2 cans on ebay for a little under 30$. (with the shipping included)

I found a tip on another web forum that said to put your can of MSC in warm water for about 10 before you use it, it makes the molecules warm up and spread thinner and more evenly when you spray it. It really works. When I don't warm it up first I can notice that it sprays thick and sometimes blotchy.

ask me about my goodies :)

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Quick tip: Target has $1 "cell phone holders" right now which look like little metal lounge chairs. They're great for safely if generically sitting down your tinies, since the backs are reclined enough that the doll doesn't slump forward. Good for shelf display.

Dead Hand
Nov 3, 2011

Pick posted:

Quick tip: Target has $1 "cell phone holders" right now which look like little metal lounge chairs. They're great for safely if generically sitting down your tinies, since the backs are reclined enough that the doll doesn't slump forward. Good for shelf display.

Thrift stores, pawn shops, and other such places are also great for finding doll furniture. I found a MSD sized wicker chair and a jewelry box dresser for less than $5 altogether at the local place. Also, while I'm on the topic, if you're near a Toys R Us, they also sometimes sell cheap glittery shoe keychains that are the perfect size to be MSD shoes.

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009
I just got a metal cell phone holder for my tiny. I was at Salvation Army the other day and they had an arm chair that was perfectly sized for an SD/MSD, depending on how big you wanted the chair to be in relation to the doll. I wish I had an SD. :(

Lassarina
Dec 6, 2011

A little of everything, I have craft ADD.
I've come back to say the can I found on ebay is shipping from china and they have to send it by ship over here, so it was going to take 45 days to get here. I ended up canceling the order, ugh.

ask me about my goodies :)

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009
Bummer. :( Has anyone ever done a study on which sealants work best? For all the people who do face ups you'd think there HAS to be an equally good alternative to MSC.

Sudden Guts Pill
Aug 7, 2009
Looking around DOA has been extremely informative, and by informative I mean it makes me want to spend all my money. I've also racked up enough posts to use the marketplace so I might get myself a bargain.

On another note, would I be super weird if I wanted this doll?

Pipos' Charlotte.

She's so adorable but I fear the furry implications like burning.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Sudden Guts Pill posted:

On another note, would I be super weird if I wanted this doll?

Pipos' Charlotte.

She's so adorable but I fear the furry implications like burning.

You should get what you want! :colbert:

But I don't really think that it's weird. I find the animal-like ball joint dolls to be very artistic. And the doll you showed doesn't give off a creepy vibe at all, it's a really gorgeous doll.

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009
Nah, pet dolls are just as widely accepted as other types of dolls. Keep an eye out on the Junky Spot's Facebook page. Emory released a few photos of a cat doll that he's developing. Unfortunately he's not answering any questions about it for the time being. It's super effing cute, though. Other pictures reveal that it's going to be about Yo-SD sized. Makes me wanna get a cat doll and turn it into a sphinx. :3:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Pipos is basically the gold standard of animal-headed dolls. I don't think anyone will hassle anybody over a Baha or whatever.

Dorky
Mar 10, 2012

Bummer. :( Has anyone ever done a study on which sealants work best? For all the people who do face ups you'd think there HAS to be an equally good alternative to MSC.
I usually use MSC, but I've heard that ZM (sold at Volks) is as good as MSC, and it seems like a popular alternative.

When I practice faceups, I use Testors Dullcote. It's easy to obtain and cheaper to buy, since you can find it in most local crafts stores and don't have to ship it. I can't say how well it holds up over time though, since practice faceups don't tend to last long before I wipe them.

I really want to give Tamiya sprays a try. Along with testors, they are a popular brand at my local model hobby store, but I don't see them at general craft stores. I guess if I ever get around to using it, I could do a quick write up on it.

In other news, I'm planning on making an Unoa hybrid. I haven't figured out which body to use yet though, but I'm really leaning toward a MNF body.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I have a DOA question. I got a login a year ago, and I never made the 40 posts, because I couldn't think of anything constructive to say. I mean, I don't know anything about the dolls -- I am mostly there to lurk and explore.

I don't usually have problems posting on forums (see posting record...) but somehow I don't feel I have anything to contribute to DOA. Which means I don't post, which means I can't see the market, which means it's harder to shop so I'll know enough to post...

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Honestly, if you want to get your post count to forty I would spend the next few days posting in the photo galleries. A simple "Wow! I love the doll's face up!" or "Her dress is amazing, where did you get it?" will be enough. Just make sure to spread it over a few days/week so you don't get singled out for spamming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Hee. Thank you. I will go say nice things in the sewing forum. (An easy task.)

• Locked thread