Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Good! I need some motivation to actually finish modding... any of my dolls :doh:.

"This realskin Kamau is going to be different!" - Pick, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Green Jacket posted:

I'm not even a modder and I am such a slacker. That Onocentaur needs magnets glued in for its ears and tail and I haven't gotten around to doing that yet. I got him like 2 months ago almost.
Worse yet, I have a couple Orientdolls from 2007 as well, almost untouched. But it was a good time to stock up on them since so many were going for cheap, and I love love love Orientdolls. Iplehouse is my favorite company; they started selling extra foot parts because I asked. They're so wonderful :allears:.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Grape Juice Vampire posted:

Did you have a problem with the weird resin foot hooks? My friend has an Iplehouse that she ended up having to mod because of them.

Nope, he's been absolutely perfect, but the character I wanted to mod him into has weird feet, so for "what if I gently caress this up?" reasons I wanted a spare pair. I also wanted to order it at the same time as my Kamau proper because the realskin resin batches tended to vary. I have zero Iplehouse complaints.

... Soom, on the other hand... :argh:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Apoxie Sculpt is my preferred modding substance, as it air-drys... and hard. Adheres great, too.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
One of my favorite things about the doll companies is how often they throw in freebies. When I ordered my Kamau, Iplehouse threw in two pairs of glass eyes for free. So sweet!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Kamau really is such a beautiful sculpt :allears:. I used to have a Jace a long time ago, but it didn't feel right for the character, plus he had that weird shorts butt (which granted made for easier blushing, but butt-blush isn't a high priority for me). The upgrade to Kamau was one of my better doll decisions.

I also have an old Domuya Venus (the fashion doll line) I've been thinking of modding TO HELL because she's not that valuable and I got her for cheap years ago. I think she may be the first doll I try to dye. (She's paper white at the moment, which just... does not work for me.)

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
My Domuya Venus came with no lines at all, so there wouldn't really be much reason to sand her. I don't tend to like Domuya's sculpts that much but they were exceptionally well-crafted.

As for Soom limiteds, I had a Euclase for a while and it would have been the worst doll decision of my life if I hadn't been able to sell him. What a loving UGLY face. And the gray skin looked awful (I still think he should have been available in white). Just a lovely doll. Thankfully, I got like twice what I paid for him a year later, so it was worth it in the long run.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Grape Juice Vampire posted:

Has anyone ever attached a non-permanent mohawk to a doll's head? Double sided tape isn't working and I'd like to be able to change them out.

You could probably rare earth magnet those.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

cubivore posted:

edit: Oh, and I recommend recasts if you're okay with that sort of thing. I know a lot of people in the BJD hobby are all up in arms about them but they're way more affordable and they're not really that bad quality.
I thought the issue was less the quality and more that these dolls are normally expensive because there's little-to-no economy of scale and thus that's what the artists have to charge to survive.

I would buy a recast Volks doll though because screw Volks :argh:.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I wish that the Iple Cyborg Bianca were a little less cheesecake, because wow :swoon:.

I think I have that harness too, but my girlfriend and I use it differently :shepface:.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Sudden Guts Pill posted:

As if I don't have enough expensive hobbies (I run the Lolita Fashion thread in A/T), I'm really thinking about getting into BJDs. I'm not so good at painting, but I would love to start making doll clothes and such. I have a couple friends into BJDs, so I'm already signed up to Den of Angels. Don't have a doll yet but I'm thinking about buying one sometime this year. It looks like a lot of fun :shobon:

Question, though. I've looked at some of the "unboxing" threads at DOA and uh... is it required to act like your doll is a real person or roleplay as them? It's a tad bit weird and I'd be really uncomfortable doing that.

gently caress no. Only the nuts do that.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I have a Domuya Venus white-skin I'd be willing to let go for (relatively) cheap if you want a trial doll. It's not up on ebay or anything since I'm in no rush to sell. It's a good doll, I just know I'll never get around to doing anything with her. I have like three other dolls to finish first and Mr. "Top Priority" has scarcely left his box in three years.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Sudden Guts Pill posted:

I've been poking around DOA for reviews and such, and it's been recommended to me that I order her from DenverDoll, since communication with 5StarDoll's site can be pretty poor. My friend who has a zillion BJDs has also recommended DenverDoll to me. Mostly I've heard that 5SD has fairly sturdy resin, nice posing and good quality for the price. Does anyone else have experience with either 5SD or DenverDoll?

I've ordered multiple dolls through DenverDoll and they are excellent.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Is there a good place to get Mr. Super Clear in the US?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Chrysolith posted:

I've been really looking into the BJD hobby a lot recently. A friend of mine has been into the hobby for a year or so now, and his constant discussion on it has finally rubbed off on me. That, and I do enjoy dress up stuff. I originally wanted to get an MSD, since it'd be cheaper and smaller, but then I found the Iplehouse Emilia, and I fell in love with it (specifically face up C and the tan skin, like in the model photo). Too bad she's so damned expensive. :arghfist:
I will probably never buy another non-Iple doll as long as I live. They've consistently been the absolute best. (And I've run through about 20 different dolls, plus heads from even more, though I only have seven now, most of which are Orientdolls. Which I still like, but I have all of them I wanted.)

quote:

e: Pick, have you tried looking at amazon for MSC? It looks like they sell it there.
Ahh, yep! Expensive as hell, but worth it. This is not a hobby for saving money :smith:.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Quick tip: Target has $1 "cell phone holders" right now which look like little metal lounge chairs. They're great for safely if generically sitting down your tinies, since the backs are reclined enough that the doll doesn't slump forward. Good for shelf display.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Pipos is basically the gold standard of animal-headed dolls. I don't think anyone will hassle anybody over a Baha or whatever.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Little Miss RKO posted:

Wow, I had no idea there was a BJD thread here. I'm Haruhi on DOA (shutup) and all I have to say is: gently caress you Dollshe. gently caress you, and I'll take those words back only after I get my Bernard. :(

Man, I remember when those were the most "adult"-looking male dolls on the market. Back when a Bermann was worth its weight in passive-aggressive angel cat emoticons.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Don't forget the stigma of Naomi and Grimm.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Oh my god, Iple finally restocked some cool EID man outfits.

IT IS TIME.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

milpreve posted:

I got a Soom Mini Gem for my 21st birthday from my mom. I was really disappointed in the feel of their resin. The doll just felt really cheap. I loved the monthlies, but I know now I'll never buy one because I don't feel they are worth the money. I know lots of people do, and I respect their choice, but I don't have to agree. I adore my doll just fine, but she just isn't as quality as the other companies I've handled (Fairyland, Abio Angel, Volks, Dollmore, to name a few). But they are cute.

Does anyone have any advice about selling a doll? I need to sell my Abio Angel, but she's my first and I'm emotionally compromised. I don't want to overvalue her, but I'm willing to wait for a good buyer.

If I hadn't resold him, Euclase would have been one of the worst purchases of my life. Now it's Iple or nothing for me personally.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
For the larger sized BJDs, they're literally human clothes but tiny. Working buttons, working zippers, working laces, the whole hog. You put them on your dolls like you would onto a tiny but well-proportioned corpse (only you can replace the hands on a doll for thin sleeves more easily).

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Sudden Guts Pill posted:

Wow, neat! Buttons and laces might be easier for me than zippers. I honestly hate putting in zippers, but I also might not even get any large sized BJDs anytime soon. It's likely I'll be sticking with MSDs in the beginning. Would using velcro and snaps be considered lazy or cheap for MSD clothing?

Velcro honestly doesn't scale well. It'll always look weird and bulky and low-quality. Snaps can be useful, though, and hooks. Elastic can also be used to great effect.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Orientdolls (Hong etc.) are excellent dolls and look mature for their size. I have one of every basic make (one of them is the vamp version though).

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Does anyone have any clothes by Freedom Teller? Are they any good?

My EID man has lacked pants since 2009.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The downside of the hobby is even a lot of the sellers are crazy people.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Dark-skinned dolls are a nightmare. But if that's what you want, that's how you get it.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I've been out of the hobby for a while (despite still owning like six dolls) and I had forgotten how expensive everything was. It was all "this doll outfit is how much!?" and I'm like, wait, I've bought that stuff. Weird.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Has anyone ever ordered clothes from Freedom Teller? My Kamau needs to not look like a streaker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Yeah, I really need to work on my Kamau. I've had him since like 2010 or something and never did much more than mod on some elf ears. They look pretty nice though.

• Locked thread