Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
milpreve
Feb 29, 2012

Grape Juice Vampire posted:

Has anyone ever attached a non-permanent mohawk to a doll's head? Double sided tape isn't working and I'd like to be able to change them out.

If you don't need a baldie, try a thin strip of velcro. Or sew the mohawks to a bald cap?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

milpreve
Feb 29, 2012
While you do need a good respirator when sanding resin, they really aren't that expensive (especially compared to dolls), and for the casting itself, just don't huff the liquid and you're pretty much fine. I did resin casting in college, it's not that dangerous, especially compared to enameling with lead.

Edit to add: I realize now you mean more extremely poor Chinese people lacking safety equipment. I sincerely doubt there is tons of resin dust flying around, simply because there isn't that much sanding done. If a company sands seams, they probably have a sanding area and don't parade it around blowing it on the workers. And there really isn't a huge seam in the first place, I only got a little resin dust on my jeans when I gave someone else's doll pierced ears. Sprues are probably cut off with a knife, maybe touched up with a dremel, if they even use sprues. I didn't when I cast, and my doll came out really well. I don't have her anymore, or I'd show pictures, but I don't think it's as bad as you fear. I just can't see how there would be that much resin dust, even in a factory.

Also, hi thread. I realize now I haven't posted before. I'm on DoA, I have a few dolls, I'm not one of the psycho ones, I made a doll in art school, and I'm selling my Abio Angel to buy a Dollfie Dream. :)

milpreve fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jul 23, 2012

milpreve
Feb 29, 2012

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Thank you, Milpreve. I have a question for you: what the heck is resin? Is it just a fancy name for "yet another plastic-like chemical substance"? Do you have to heat it after casting to fuse?

It's basically two liquid parts that have a chemical reaction to heat and solidify. Then it's basically a funky plastic that doesn't liquefy ever again. Resin will burn before it melts.

milpreve
Feb 29, 2012
DoA is convenient because it has PMs for everybody, if partners are secret. If partners aren't secret, then it doesn't matter.

milpreve
Feb 29, 2012
I got an MH gargoyle to play with, but ended up liking her. I might play with a build-kit if I get money for hobbies again. I want to make a red Chinese dragon-lady.

milpreve
Feb 29, 2012
I got a Soom Mini Gem for my 21st birthday from my mom. I was really disappointed in the feel of their resin. The doll just felt really cheap. I loved the monthlies, but I know now I'll never buy one because I don't feel they are worth the money. I know lots of people do, and I respect their choice, but I don't have to agree. I adore my doll just fine, but she just isn't as quality as the other companies I've handled (Fairyland, Abio Angel, Volks, Dollmore, to name a few). But they are cute.

Does anyone have any advice about selling a doll? I need to sell my Abio Angel, but she's my first and I'm emotionally compromised. I don't want to overvalue her, but I'm willing to wait for a good buyer.

milpreve
Feb 29, 2012
A lot of the SCA (medieval re-enactment) doll people I know are so much more SCA-focused that they don't really do doll stuff online. I'm sorry I don't have any resources to share, but the Pennsic doll meet is a big deal.

*Pennsic is the big (~13,000 people) SCA event every year in Pennsylvania.

milpreve
Feb 29, 2012
By rerooted, do you mean you reused the old hair, or just that you replaced it?

milpreve
Feb 29, 2012
Do you have one and need a second one? Are the two identical? If not, is there anyone local to you who owns the same type of doll? Is there anyone local to you who does resin-casting? See where I'm going with this?

milpreve
Feb 29, 2012
I've heard mixed reviews about all the alternatives, but MSC darkens with age and looks really ick after a few years. I own a can of MSC but I don't do faceups. I'd test out different fixatives if I was going to, on headcaps.

milpreve
Feb 29, 2012

Wandering Knitter posted:

Bringing this thread back to life with a question! :toot:

So after about four months of being too busy for dolls I stumbled upon a combination I've been looking for (MNF female body, Karsh head) for a good price. The problem? The body is on the pink side while the head is on the yellow side. Is it possible to blush them so they match better? Can I do it with pastels, or will I have to find someone to airbrush it? Or must I go one step beyond and dye the sucker?

It is possible to blush them, I recommend blushing the head to match the body because you touch it less and you'll be giving it a faceup anyway. You could also airbrush it or dye it, but you don't need to if you don't want to. Unless it's horribly different, then you might have to.

milpreve
Feb 29, 2012
I'm used to faceups done with chalk pastels, not pencils. I know of charcoal pencils, maybe there are chalk pencils?

milpreve
Feb 29, 2012
You could also hop on Den of Angels and ask people to make tape dress forms of their dolls. That's also a good market to sell in, as there are a lot of buyers.

milpreve
Feb 29, 2012

Sudden Guts Pill posted:

Couple photos. I went a bit nuts one night and made a lot of fairy kei-style clothes and accessories for my MSDs.

Cute!

Does anyone have experience selling a doll? I want to sell my Abio Angel, but I don't know if I'd be better off on eBay or resurrecting my DoA account. Or if there is another, better place?

milpreve
Feb 29, 2012

Casca posted:

Which Abio sculpt? I've hoping to find a reasonably priced Er in the DoA marketplace but no luck yet.

Shi, with a custom freckled faceup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

milpreve
Feb 29, 2012
Very nice! I love dolls with freckles.

• Locked thread