Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing

Der-Wreck posted:

Are you thinking of Internet Slutz? They used to review all sorts of weird websites, like a Sneezing Fetishist website or Tooth Tattoos.

That's it, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Please tell me that Diddl was a popular thing outside of my school. Kids would go nuts for Diddl paper (???), keychains, pens, all that junk.
I once traded some pokemon cards for Diddl paper, which I traded for a couple of JoJo's.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Not really diddl, but collecting various licensed papers and stickers was definitely a thing in 90's

my friend had those things:

and the toys were okay I guess, but what I really liked were those floppy disks with simple games made in shockwave. Of the two he had, one was about turning on the captured alien ship, and the second was uploading a virus or something. Those were really simple, but somehow also really athmospheric and mysterious because my grasp of English was non-existant, and of course I haven't seen the movie being a 6yo or such.
Mars Attacks had something very similar.

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.

Sombrerotron posted:

Nothing quite like that brief moment in time when novelty hardcore/gabber tracks were in vogue hereabouts.

Those were the, uh, days. Maybe.

I dont recall any of that I do remember Happy Hardcore though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lS1u9z9vNGQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O64vSP-Zj6U

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.
Some more 90s classics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akin-6GjECQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgffRW1fKDk

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Archibald Tuttle posted:

Holy poo poo. This thread. Looking back at the Mighty Max posts reminded me of all the miniature type toys they had back then. Took me back to Monster in my Pocket, Z-bots, and, from what I can recall, the little known Trash Bag Bunch. These figures came in a dissolvable "trash bag" so you never knew which figure you were going to get. Drop em in the water and watch it fizz and bubble as you waited in anticipation of who you'd get next. Gotta love random toys.

The set:

Dissolving action!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgiocq6j62k

I managed to con my mom into letting me buy 3 of these on different occasions, they were all Junk Jackal.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Around when did the "Oh man! Gross stuff!" bandwagon start in terms of marketing toys and things like that? It seemed to be everywhere in the 90's but you don't really see it much these days.

V---Edited for better clarity

OldTennisCourt has a new favorite as of 16:31 on Apr 6, 2015

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

OldTennisCourt posted:

Around when did the "Oh man! Gross stuff!" bandwagon start?

Around the time fire was harnessed.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

laserghost posted:

Not really diddl, but collecting various licensed papers and stickers was definitely a thing in 90's

and the toys were okay I guess, but what I really liked were those floppy disks with simple games made in shockwave. Of the two he had, one was about turning on the captured alien ship, and the second was uploading a virus or something. Those were really simple, but somehow also really athmospheric and mysterious because my grasp of English was non-existant, and of course I haven't seen the movie being a 6yo or such.

Thst reminds me of the Beast Wars Airrazor with the video tape that had like two/three episodes on it :allears:. That and the Crash Dummies one with their failed pilot ep.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
It launched in December 1999, so it still counts: The Naked News.

According to wiki they're still around, which I'm surprised about.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

OldTennisCourt posted:

I would dig a book of all those old 80's/90's arcade flyers. They was some of the best, cheesiest things ever. What made them weirder is, and please correct me if I'm wrong, most of them weren't really made to advertise to kids but to arcade owners which makes the cheesy set up even funnier.

That sounds about right, the ad probably came from an industry journal. I was looking up Pit-Fighter, a beat'm up by Atari from the early '90s that used digitized mo-cap graphics like MK, and the ad was kind of similar, but it also boasted about things like

lame arcade cabinet ad posted:

• Large 25" screen with extra-wide control panel
  • Buy-in any time with continue feature

which just reek of business-speak. Seems like there was another arcade cabinet ad I saw that was even cheesier and dorkier.

King Vidiot posted:

The good guys were so much lamer than the bad guys, but I guess that applies to every toy line from the 80's/90's.

The most obvious example of this I can think of would be when Alien 3 came out, and all I remember thinking is "who the hell would even want the human figures when you can get these rad aliens?"

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Titus Sardonicus posted:

That sounds about right, the ad probably came from an industry journal. I was looking up Pit-Fighter, a beat'm up by Atari from the early '90s that used digitized mo-cap graphics like MK, and the ad was kind of similar, but it also boasted about things like

which just reek of business-speak. Seems like there was another arcade cabinet ad I saw that was even cheesier and dorkier.

I'd really like to read a book or at least a longform article on the business of running an arcade back then. When you got rid of old cabinents, where you placed what games, did you have all fighting games in one specific location, do you put big games like MK in the front, etc. If anyone has anymore arcade flies/ads I'd love to see them.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Here's something I posted in the other '90s thread:

Wheat Loaf posted:

There is one advert from the late 1990s (it might have been the very early 2000s; I'm not sure) which has stuck in my mind for years, which nobody else I've ever spoken to can remember. It was a kind of found footage thing, set in a Piggly Wiggly supermarket (I distinctly remember that being the name and it's very odd, because that's a chain that has zero presence whatsoever in the United Kingdom), presenting a man wearing a large, garish Chinese dragon mask stalking about the store and terrorising customers. You'd see things like someone walking their trolley off screen, followed by the unmanned trolley rolling back into view because the fellow had seemingly jumped out and grabbed them. The last shot I recall was the guy being marched out and pushed into a police car, still wearing the mask.

I can't even remember what it was advertising, or even what on Earth it could have been advertising; maybe it was a true crime or reality TV thing, and I've been conflating it with an advertisement all this time? It was the most bizarre thing, but it made an impression on my young mind.

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Here's something I posted in the other '90s thread:

As a Brit I've never seen an ad for Piggly Wiggly or even heard of that brand until today. Perhaps you saw it on Tarrant on TV?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
As I said, it's possible - even probable - that I saw it on some kind of true crime show and I've conflated it with an advertisement in the intervening 15 years or so. For all I know, it could have been an episode of Scooby Doo I found particularly terrifying.

It wouldn't have been Tarrant On TV (was there ever a more schizophrenic show? One moment, it's some weird sex comedy from Russia, the next it's a graphic depiction of the effects of smoking from South Africa or a deadly serious advert about road safety where a little kid gets mowed down by a reckless driver), because I definitely remember seeing this in my grandmother's house in the late afternoon on a Thursday on a school day, whatever month or year it was. I couldn't even guess what channel it would have been, because I only watched Cartoon Network and she had a little TV in her kitchen she used to watch the news.

It's just so weird that I remember this. I'm fairly sure I saw it exactly once, and the fact that I can remember these details (I can even remember where I was and what I was doing when I saw it) more than a decade later niggles at me more than it really should. :shrug:

Yeah, this has been a weird couple of posts. Sorry, folks.

Zortzico
Jul 3, 2007

We're Just Running In The 90's

Archibald Tuttle posted:

Holy poo poo. This thread. Looking back at the Mighty Max posts reminded me of all the miniature type toys they had back then. Took me back to Monster in my Pocket, Z-bots, and, from what I can recall, the little known Trash Bag Bunch. These figures came in a dissolvable "trash bag" so you never knew which figure you were going to get. Drop em in the water and watch it fizz and bubble as you waited in anticipation of who you'd get next. Gotta love random toys.

The set:

Holy crap, nobody I knows remembered these things!

I had Grimestopper, Fumigator, and I believe Vac-U-ator

Laocius
Jul 6, 2013

I'd never heard of the Trash Bag Bunch before, but I know I definitely had a bunch of Fistful of Aliens.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
One of the best 90s songs.

Something's Always Wrong - Toad the Wet Sprocket

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fK7bwIVrQFs

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Who among us didn't stumble home drunk in the 90's, turn on the TV, see this informercial, and for a second or two thought about giving it a try?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqhc101LxNs

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

CobiWann posted:

Who among us didn't stumble home drunk in the 90's, turn on the TV, see this informercial, and for a second or two thought about giving it a try?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqhc101LxNs

I dunno what that is. I was assuming it was a Girls Gone Wild commercial.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

syscall girl posted:

I dunno what that is. I was assuming it was a Girls Gone Wild commercial.

Ah. It's Dial-a-Date.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xxu34w_prince-of-love-dial-a-date-1995_lifestyle

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

beato posted:

Ahh the 90s when Dance, Goth, and Rap were all the same genre:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgAKnsO6N-s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPvOJTYkS-M

It's amazing how dated this is despite being barely twenty years old. It truly was the era of lovely techno.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

It's amazing how dated this is despite being barely twenty years old. It truly was the era of lovely techno.

Consider 70s stuff in the 90s, it's the same way.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Jerry Cotton posted:

Consider 70s stuff in the 90s, it's the same way.

All of that optimism is sickening.

Painful Dart Bomb
May 23, 2012

And he was talking 'fore I knew it, and as he grew he'd say "I'm gonna be like you, dad" "You know I'm gonna be like you".

Iron Crowned posted:

I managed to con my mom into letting me buy 3 of these on different occasions, they were all Junk Jackal.

loving weird. :catstare: I got one for my birthday as a kid and it was also junk jackal.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

laserghost posted:

Mars Attacks had the floppies too and I believe there was a hot wheel/matchbox one with them as well. I only hope that ID4-2 has a 2015 equivalent of the floppy games.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Len posted:

Mars Attacks had the floppies too and I believe there was a hot wheel/matchbox one with them as well. I only hope that ID4-2 has a 2015 equivalent of the floppy games.

iOS apps? I'm guessing in the new one Jeff Goldblum will defeat the aliens with an iPhone, and what kid doesn't wanna make believe they're Goldblum?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morn
Aug 29, 2012

Wandering Knitter posted:

I think you're thinking of Funcoland. Man, that store was awesome. I got a Sega Saturn with all of the trimmings and a couple of games for under $40! :dance:

Funcoland..there is a place I haven't thought of in a loonnggg time. 90% of the time everything you wanted was the one thing they never had, but once in a blue moon you scored.

The absolute best time to go to Funcoland was when they got a big collection in. Most of the time I just casually browsed for something good or entertaining, but this one day I picked out a couple games and the guy behind the counter tells me he *thinks* he has the books for those games, as well as other paperwork. Now of course what they sold was the care cartridge alone; you didn't get instruction manuals or that stuff. The employee informed me that they were supposed to throw away everything except the bare game cartridge; boxes, inserts, posters, manuals, all that stuff got tossed in the trash before the games hit the shelves.. that is why you never saw that stuff. No idea what that policy was about, but I guess it made it easier not to stock all the manuals too.

Employee walks into some backroom area and drags this big rear end garbage bag up behind the counter; this thing was stuffed and overflowing' boxes and manuals spilling all over the floor from him dragging it in. It weighed a lot. He then starts digging into the bag, and man, there was probably a few hundred manuals in there along with dozens of game boxes too. Amazingly he pulls out the manual for one game and tosses it on the counter and goes back to his digging/sifting. He wasn't able to find them all, but he still got the awesome employee award for actually going above and beyond for some used Sega and Nintendo game cartridges.

/ Awesome place. Still remembers the television and print ads for Funcoland.

/and the cheap print price lists on newspaper stock.

/loyal Funcoland customer for life..except they don't exist anymore.

/csb

• Locked thread