Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Anyone remember the week or so before the Sci-Fi Channel (now SyFy) launched in 1991 and that ran this weird rear end test pattern?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_bJgFCnINQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Oh, man, I drank this stuff a LOT at college parites during the mid/late 90's...

It's liquor...with SUGAR crystals grown on the inside of the bottle! I remember taking an icepick and breaking up the crystals once the bottle was empty because I thought the crystals would have absorbed enough of the alcohol to keep my buzz going.

CobiWann has a new favorite as of 13:34 on Jun 5, 2013

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Aftershock is like Fireball Whiskey: Booze for people who don't actually enjoy alcohol but still want to say they drink something that isn't Mikes. You'll find it at any liquor store near a college and pretty much no where else.

Pretty much, but instead of "Fireball Whiskey," I'd say "Goldschlager." I did see it used in mixed drinks however - Aftershock, Goldschlager, and Peppermint Schnapps was a "Red, White, and Blue."

I've only seen Aftershock (cinnamon) and Avalanche (peppermint). Never saw or have seen the other colors.

Cromulent posted:

Oh wow, I remember stealing swigs of that stuff when I was 14, after my friend's older brother left some out after a party. Didn't it advertise that the proof increased as the crystals grew larger? When I turned 21, I thought I'd buy some just for kicks, but couldn't find it anywhere.

From Wikipedia.

quote:

There is a regular myth that the drink crystallizes in your stomach until the next morning. The crystals were then said to liquidate during the morning, releasing a second wave of alcohol into the blood stream.

CobiWann has a new favorite as of 12:43 on Jun 6, 2013

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

The_Franz posted:

That After Shock post reminded me of another 90s alcoholic beverage: Zima

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_uxyXekDjo

Zima was the liquor industry's attempt to cash in on the clear beverage craze of the 90s. It was an alcopop that debuted nationally in 1994 with a slick marketing campaign ("zomething different") and found some success in it's first year, however once everyone actually tried it and found that it tasted like a funny tasting flat 7up sales dropped off very quickly. Like most other alcoholic sugar water concoctions it mostly ended up being popular with early teens and college girls. It's popularity amongst teenagers was helped by the false rumors back then that "Zima doesn't make you smell like alcohol" or "Zima doesn't show up on breathalyzers". I don't ever remember hearing about or seeing Zima past the mid-90s, but apparently it was produced until 2008.

I have to give them credit, the advertising worked. After the commercials aired, everyone in my Jr. high class was saying "zomething" and "ztop" and became obsessed with getting a bottle of Zima.

Drop a Jolly Rancher hard candy in a bottle of Zima, watch it dissolve in a minute or two, and now it's flavored!

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Who among us didn't stumble home drunk in the 90's, turn on the TV, see this informercial, and for a second or two thought about giving it a try?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqhc101LxNs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

syscall girl posted:

I dunno what that is. I was assuming it was a Girls Gone Wild commercial.

Ah. It's Dial-a-Date.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xxu34w_prince-of-love-dial-a-date-1995_lifestyle

• Locked thread