Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Rocketlex posted:

EDIT: Well, it wasn't exactly pre-made Kool-Aid. That would be this...

These and Ssips were literally the only reason I agreed to play Little League when I was a kid. I loving hated baseball, but I loved way-too-sweet portable drinks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

DoktorSandvich posted:

Moon shoes! Though I remember a moon shoes commercial where they repeated the word abunch in succession
and while I was looking for that, I remembered this. Guts is still amazing after all these years, I loved that show so much, the agro crag was the poo poo.

Nickelodeon was the best back in the day.

Guts (and Global Guts) was okay, but nothing can ever top Legends of the Hidden Temple in terms of sheer badassness.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

MrGreenShirt posted:

Bet you thought you'd never hear this song again!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBmkCoiHC2c

And I thought the best thing Brandy ever did was I Still Know What You Did Last Summer.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

OldTennisCourt posted:

That's some straight up bullshit right there.

Does anyone remember how insane and nail biting it was one someone actually WON Legends of the Hidden Temple? I think only like3 teams ever actually beat the Temple.

And it was always the Silver Snakes. :smug:

edit:

korusan posted:

In my heart and soul the '90s don't end till 2003ish. 2001 at the verrry earliest.

The 90s ended with 9/11.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Wandering Knitter posted:

What makes winamp 90's were the thousands of terrible free skins you could download from shady websites. It was right up there with custom cursors and changing your computer shut down noises to Dr. Who audio clips.

...Other people changed their computer shut down noises to Dr. Who audio clips, right? :ohdear:

I shared a computer with 2 teenaged sisters in the 90s, and I distinctly remember they changed the error noise to Julia Roberts saying "She's toast."

Why do I remember this?

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
My brother-in-law just posted a picture on Facebook of a mall directory from the 90s, which brought back a lot of memories. I think one thing from the 90s that doesn't really happen anymore is the whole idea of a "mall culture," kids don't really hang out at the mall in this day and age. Then again we have a tiny, lovely-rear end mall, so that just might be my area.

That reminds me, if you have archives, check out this thread where someone posted the diary of a really white-trashy teenaged girl circa 1993, which was found in a dresser at Goodwill.

edit: fixed url

Coffee And Pie has a new favorite as of 00:51 on Apr 1, 2012

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

VoilaIntruder posted:

I'm very happy that 'elephant' style pants haven't shown up near the US coastlines for roughly a decade (Hulk Hogan notwithstanding).

Fashion is (for the most part) cyclical, I just hope that I've been dead a long time when baggy pants come back into style. They can pry my slim fit jeans from my cold, dead legs.

edit: however, I welcome the return of Blossom's awesome hats.

Coffee And Pie has a new favorite as of 22:09 on Apr 4, 2012

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

DrBouvenstein posted:

From 1997 - 2001, every senior class awards ceremony, or "banquet", or whatever you call it, ended with a slide show or PowerPoint presentation filled with pictures of the graduating seniors (a mix of candid shots, yearbook photos, and kid/baby photos) set to "Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)" by Greenday.

Every. Single. One.

Ten years later and you better believe they still to the same exact thing. If I remember correctly, it also featured Graduation (Friends Forever) by Vitamin C.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

bean_shadow posted:

Does anybody remember a dinosaur game where you had to go to different prehistoric time periods and take photos of the dinos?

That sounds like Pokemon Snap, one of my favorite N64 games, right below the original Mario Party games (which I busted out recently, and it hold up really well.)

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

I hate that that iPhone game is the first place my mind went. :( Seriously though, imagine if they fully recreated the sets and got Kirk Fog back as host, and the same lovely prizes. Put that poo poo on primetime, I'd be there every week.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Yeet posted:

This thread reminded me of Are You Afraid of the Dark? and lo and behold season 1 is on Netflix. Man some of this is still some CREEPY rear end poo poo. I think this episode here launched a million fears of clowns.

15 years later amd I still have vivid memories of the muck monster in the public swimming pool :gonk:

Way better than the Goosebumps show.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I just remembered this thread where someone found a diary kept during the earlyish 90s. Pretty interesting stuff, but you'll need the archives to read it, I think: Going nowhere fast... falling so hard we never look back.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
This picture is pretty 90s.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

leidend posted:

I'm old enough to remember thinking, circa 1986, that fashion had been pretty much perfected. Where could it possibly go from there? And really, we've just looped back through the styles of 70s/80s/90s since then so maybe it's not completely wrong.

We used to make fun of how bogus the disco era was. 10 years later, everyone was wearing bell bottoms again.

And now everyone's wearing what I wore in 6th grade.

If flared-bottom or baggy pants get popular again, I may actually kill myself.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

CannedMacabre posted:

Also, Keenan Ivory Wayans' shirts.

To be fair, if you told me ASOS or Urban Outfitters was selling that shirt now, I would not even be surprised.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Non Serviam posted:

What's the name of these things? I really want to have one again.
I had a classmate in school who left one bounce from his face. Huge bruise for a week.

I stuck one of these to my forehead at an elementary school fair and had a round, red mark all weekend. :downs:

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

skycake posted:

Mr. Bucket, I remember the commercial saying something about balls popping out of his mouth.

He was buckets of fun!

90s toy commercials really were the best, I found myself singing the "Perfection" song in the shower today.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTHNROgxVRs

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Naylenas posted:

Does anyone remember what was essentially a magazine in CDROM form sent out through the mail in the mid 90s? It was primarily music focused and had a few buildings to click on with different content in each one. I've been wracking my brain for a while trying to recall the name of it.

EDIT: Of course I found it immediately on google. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LAUNCH_Media

Along the same lines, I'm always kind of surprised when I see that they still have those magazines that feature a free CD. Seems like they could just include a code to download the content off their website.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Ema Nymton posted:

Apparently the time capsule does contain a box of Hostess Twinkies. If so, it could be the most valuable item in the whole box. Who would have guessed back then?

Twinkies are coming back! Speaking of which, am I crazy or were people in the 90s crazy over fast food? I feel like every movie from that period involves McDonalds or Taco Bell. I can't really judge for myself because I was a chubby little kid in the 90s, so of course I loving loved fast food.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

InternetBully posted:

Plus any show with prizes had to give away Skechers (It's the S!).

BK Ratch Tech or die.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYbTIw6nePI
I still want a pair

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

OdorousTobacco posted:

Even though it premiered at the very end of the 90's, I don't think there's anything more 90's than the fact that there was a TV show called Shasta McNasty.

Does anyone remember those books "My Teacher Is An Alien"? I remember there were a few of them, and I read them all, and the last one was called "My Teacher Flunked the Planet".

Also, Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing.

I remember a series with books with titles such as "Ghosts Don't Eat Potato Chips" and "Aliens Don't Wear Braces." If I remember correctly, they basically taught kids to be skeptics...Mulder would have hated it.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
The only right way to say it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orP4WZQdi0k

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
He looks like David Byrne in casual wear.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Datasmurf posted:

Yeah, as I've stated somewhere earlier in this thread, I also unironically love the music of the 90s. Especially eurodance and 90s hiphop, with probably Scooter and Vengaboys on the top. Because, gently caress yeah, that's why.

As a child of the 80s, that's the music I grew up with, before I got into old school hiphop, punk rock and classic rock. Oh, and of course ska. Best thing about the 2000s, was learning about all the great rock bands of the 60s and the 70s.

Oh, and speaking of the 90s ... It seems as if the fashion of the 90s is on its way back. I never noticed it before this week, when my sisters and their friends all went out clubbing dressed in clothes like Spice Girls used to wear and stuff like that.

It's horrible and great at the same time.

I bought (and got complimented on) a loving denim shirt the other day. The 90s are back and I love it.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
How long is it until there's another swing revival? Or, dare I say, a swing revival revival.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IqH3uliwJY

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Kalos posted:

If they were stopped by a group of teenagers, at least one of which is riding a skateboard, then you could repackage this as the most 90's movie. Alternatively, have them stopped by a forgetful but well-meaning dad trying to buy an all but sold-out gift on Christmas Eve.

I'm pretty sure that was the plot of the Dean Cain classic Die Hard knockoff, Christmas Rush.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

JediTalentAgent posted:

I still seem to remember Sketchers as a relatively low-end/budget brand in the early-mid 90s. I got a pair of their Converse-styled canvas shoes which lead to at least one comment from someone who thought they were just a nice pair of Converses.

They seemed to become more popular by the latter-half of the 90s, though.

My sisters used to wear Candies exclusively in the 90s. Apparently they're still around, with Carly Rae Jepsen as the spokesperson.

Coffee And Pie has a new favorite as of 01:29 on Aug 3, 2013

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Can anyone suggest any books/documentaries about 90s tech/PC gaming?

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Leon Einstein posted:

Troll dolls are from the 60s, but they experienced a surge in the 90s just like a bunch of other 60s fads.

If there was a 70s fad in the 90s and a 90s fad now, does that mean in 10 years, there's gonna be a 00s fad? What are teenagers gonna obsess over? 9/11 and the original iPod?

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
One of my friends still has a trampoline. I don't care if I'm in college, trampolines are still cool.

You know what's pretty 90s, though? This emoticon :-)

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

leidend posted:

Yes, I saw a girl about 16 years old wearing some extremely high jeans today at the mall and had to withhold laughter. Similar to this outfit

Mom jeans are back, yo.

I never stopped doing the baggy look. Bring that back already.

They're just gonna get higher and higher until overalls are back. High-waisted shorts are cute though, so it's okay.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I saw an otherwise well-dressed, college-aged girl wearing a bright blue bucket hat with some designer logo pattern on it today :wtc:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Len posted:

Mars Attacks had the floppies too and I believe there was a hot wheel/matchbox one with them as well. I only hope that ID4-2 has a 2015 equivalent of the floppy games.

iOS apps? I'm guessing in the new one Jeff Goldblum will defeat the aliens with an iPhone, and what kid doesn't wanna make believe they're Goldblum?

• Locked thread