Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I would pay good money to have one of those Agro Crag pieces from Guts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Mixed Doubles posted:

Here's something soul crushing that I learned: they didn't actually get to take that piece of the aggro crag home with them. There was only one and they just held it up for the shoot.

How cool would it have been to have had one in college?

That's some straight up bullshit right there.

Does anyone remember how insane and nail biting it was one someone actually WON Legends of the Hidden Temple? I think only like3 teams ever actually beat the Temple.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I I remember this from every god drat children's video at the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-W2wubfL9k

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIII PLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYY RIGHT FIELD

IT'S IMPORTANT YA KNOW

YA GOTTA KNOW HOW TA CATCH

KNOW HOW TA THROW

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Asiina posted:

This is the one I remember from before my Land Before Time tape

http://youtu.be/z4065smJLXk

1988 but CLOSE ENOUGH.

I forgot what a little player that kid was at the end.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I would dig a book of all those old 80's/90's arcade flyers. They was some of the best, cheesiest things ever. What made them weirder is, and please correct me if I'm wrong, most of them weren't really made to advertise to kids but to arcade owners which makes the cheesy set up even funnier.

Arcades might be the thing I missed the most from the 90's. Yes the 80's were when arcades might have been the biggest in terms of pop culture, but I still remember going to the mall with 5 bucks in quarters and playing Area 51

OldTennisCourt has a new favorite as of 14:22 on Apr 6, 2015

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Around when did the "Oh man! Gross stuff!" bandwagon start in terms of marketing toys and things like that? It seemed to be everywhere in the 90's but you don't really see it much these days.

V---Edited for better clarity

OldTennisCourt has a new favorite as of 16:31 on Apr 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Titus Sardonicus posted:

That sounds about right, the ad probably came from an industry journal. I was looking up Pit-Fighter, a beat'm up by Atari from the early '90s that used digitized mo-cap graphics like MK, and the ad was kind of similar, but it also boasted about things like

which just reek of business-speak. Seems like there was another arcade cabinet ad I saw that was even cheesier and dorkier.

I'd really like to read a book or at least a longform article on the business of running an arcade back then. When you got rid of old cabinents, where you placed what games, did you have all fighting games in one specific location, do you put big games like MK in the front, etc. If anyone has anymore arcade flies/ads I'd love to see them.

• Locked thread