Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Innocent_Bystander
May 17, 2012

Wait, missile production is my responsibility?

Oh.
I dumped a few bits of my huge names file to the right of the existing ship classes, sorted by theme and (mostly) in alphabetical order. We can assign certain classes to draw from a given theme as we design them. If nobody minds this block of text, I can dump the lists of weapons and god names, sorted by type and domain respectively, as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!
Added a few names to the list myself, mainly keeping to the themes. With the freighters I am assuming that captains and owners name their ships,so no standard naming conventions!

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!

Innocent_Bystander posted:

I dumped a few bits of my huge names file to the right of the existing ship classes, sorted by theme and (mostly) in alphabetical order. We can assign certain classes to draw from a given theme as we design them. If nobody minds this block of text, I can dump the lists of weapons and god names, sorted by type and domain respectively, as well.

Looking at your authors list, I assume you like modern Doctor Who?

As for mythological creatures, I wonder if we could add modern TV and film beasties and aliens too?

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Whomever has contributed to the sci-fi author list, I'm disappointed in all of you, you forgot Heinlein, freaking Heinlein, one for the greatest authors ever. Dammit people I expect more professionalism in our fake space government spaceship naming process :colbert:

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
Whoever contributed the Samar names should probably be aware that Indonesia and the Philippines are both Federation members. While I believe the original class names were references to WWII naval battles, it's something to think about.

Additionally, Tbilisi and the rest of Georgia are Fed members. Maybe I should construct a full list of members of both, as well as unaffiliated nations.

Ynkling
Mar 22, 2012

For these reasons I vote for granting UN membership to our moon.
Tbilisi and the rest of Georgia did exit the Soviet Union, so although it's now a member of the Federation it still works with our naming scheme.

BGreman, with regards to the unaffiliated nations, will it be possible for us to try and align them either through diplomacy or other less savoury methods, or are they simply mentioned for the sake of completeness of the narrative?

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

bgreman posted:

To: BGEN berryjon, Deputy Director of Defense
Re: Vahalla Yard

Sir, we have recently received your order for adding a new slipway to the Valhalla naval yard. Our contractors estimate that this will take more than a year, with a completion date estimated in late October or early November of 2031. While this work is onging, the yard could not be tooled to produce the Project VALKYRIE craft.

What we recommend is that capacity expansion continues to allow for larger future designs. When the Project VALKYRIE engine technology is completed, we can tool for the Surigao class and begin construction, and at that time begin work on a new slipway.

We further recommend the same course for the new Vancouver yard.

TO: UNIN BuShips
Re: Shipyards

Very well, your input has been received, and you may act as you see fit to best work towards the overall strategic goals. You have a better idea of to optimally work towards them, so I shall entrust this to you.

Innocent_Bystander
May 17, 2012

Wait, missile production is my responsibility?

Oh.
Heinlin, right, I knew I'd missed someone.
Tonight I shall cry myself to sleep in shame.

Also I'd be interested in seeing a list of what nations are on what side, or even just a world map with marked borders.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
As regularly requested:

Additionally, here is the McKiernan fleet after renaming:

UN, 5 June 2030

To: UN Ambassador Ceebees
Re: Asteroid Belt

Your craft do of course have freedom of travel in non-Federation space. However, if your craft violate our claimed territories, they will be intercepted.

UN, 8 June 2030

CMDR Vander, longtime CO of Missile Complex Valkyrie, publishes another paper on optimal crew training methods.

UN, 9 June 2030, 6:11 UTC

CC: Councilor Innocent_Bystander, Director of Defense
Re: 10 Hygiea

Sir, we are presently holding station 5.1m km from the asteroid 10 Hygiea. Our passive sensors show no contacts or emissions from the asteroid, but based on estimated emissions from a single automated mine, our passive sensors would not be able to detect it at this range. We'd need to move in to about 100k km to detect the mine. Alternately we could blip our active sensors to determine whether there is a Federation presence here. We could also activate our transponders to see if that would elicit a Federation response. What are your orders?

bgreman fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Sep 11, 2012

Ynkling
Mar 22, 2012

Simply activating our transponders wouldn't allow us to tell the difference between a fully operational mining complex and a lone Fed ship making a baseless claim. The Articles of Colonization state that an uninhabitable body (asteroid), "...may be annexed by the first nation or SNO to establish a commercial or industrial outpost on the body." Not investigating this further would be a mistake.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.
I just told Ignatov we were going to be dicking around in the belt, we might as well get something out of it.

Have the Berlin back off to about 80% of max sensor range, tap out a "NRDS? We're training here, don't shoot us, ok?" in local and give the rock an active ping. Under no circumstances should ships move within the exclusion envelope until we're sure we're ready for a shooting war again.

Ceebees fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Aug 12, 2012

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Ceebees posted:

I just told Ignatov we were going to be dicking around in the belt, we might as well get something out of it.

Have the Berlin back off to about 80% of max sensor range, tap out a "NRDS? We're training here, don't shoot us, ok?" in local and give the rock an active ping. Under no circumstances should ships move within the exclusion envelope until we're sure we're ready for a shooting war again.

TO: 1st Cruiser Command

CEEBEES has the correct instructions, and I am making them official.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Just finished reading through the thread.

One question: why is Federation Shipyard size not known? It's implied that the shipbuilding facilities are in orbit, where they should be easily visible by telescope. Heck, the first Russian satellites were detected by civilian telescopes, and those were several orders of magnitude smaller then a shipyard would be.

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

Hey, I was hoping to sign up as a civilian administrator if that's possible.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

Added Space posted:

Just finished reading through the thread.

One question: why is Federation Shipyard size not known? It's implied that the shipbuilding facilities are in orbit, where they should be easily visible by telescope. Heck, the first Russian satellites were detected by civilian telescopes, and those were several orders of magnitude smaller then a shipyard would be.

The UN does know the total tonnage capacity of the Federation shipyards, it just doesn't know how that is distributed between commercial/military and how many slipways each yard has. In general, this game entirely avoids visible light detection in order to implement its own version of sensor detection.

occipitallobe posted:

Hey, I was hoping to sign up as a civilian administrator if that's possible.

Done, you've been "enrolled in the Academy." You'll graduate when your turn comes.

CC: Councilor Innocent_Bystander, Director of Defense; UNEC

Sirs, the UN/SGY-5 "Overwatch" active sensor on the Berlin-class has a range of only 4.5 million km. It is likely that the Federation saw our active PDC sensors at Earth, determined their range, and then set their asteroid cordons at just over this range, hoping we'd reuse the sensor on our void naval craft. UNS Berlin's sensor will only be able to detect a Federation presence if it moves 600,000 km closer to the asteroid.

Ynkling
Mar 22, 2012

I'm having some problems deciphering this sensor suite debacle. The Ghostbuster features the "Warbler" sensor suite, whilst our illustrious Berlin has both a "Warbler" and the "Overwatch" sensors, and the question is whether we should reveal the secondary sensors to Federation Intelligence?

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

In Aurora, ships and PDCs only have two states: all active sensors on or all of them off. You can't activate individual sensors. The problem here is that the main UN ship search sensor only has a range of 4.5m km. The Federation cordon is 5m km.

The other issue is that while the Federation has knowledge of the sensor suite of the UN PDCs, they have no knowledge of the sensors on UN ships, and revealing that might be a concern.

bgreman fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Aug 16, 2012

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.
Oh, so we can't get any information without entering the cordon, which is a Bad Idea, and also, they seem to have foreknowledge of the design of our "Overwatch" sensor, which i don't think we used on anything else yet.

I'm of the opinion that we should bluff. Go ahead and fall back to 5.5mkm or so and active ping - maybe we'll get lucky and there'll be something huge there we can pick up on, and worst case, we cast doubt on their estimates of our sensor's abilities.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Ceebees posted:

Oh, so we can't get any information without entering the cordon, which is a Bad Idea, and also, they seem to have foreknowledge of the design of our "Overwatch" sensor, which i don't think we used on anything else yet.

I'm of the opinion that we should bluff. Go ahead and fall back to 5.5mkm or so and active ping - maybe we'll get lucky and there'll be something huge there we can pick up on, and worst case, we cast doubt on their estimates of our sensor's abilities.

I defer to you in this regard.

That being said, when was the last time we had a serious counter-espionage effort in the United Nations?

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

berryjon posted:

I defer to you in this regard.

I have no idea what i'm doing :ssh:

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Ceebees posted:

I have no idea what i'm doing :ssh:

Actually, ask the Federation in your capacity as Diplomat how the hell they expect us to respect their claims when we can't verify them? Setting up a cordon outside our "maximum" sensor range is just begging for them to lie through their teeth at us.

Both sides need to have some capacity to verify the claims of the other, and this will be a great time to figure out how.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

10 Hygiea, 9th June 2030, 6:18 UTC

CDRE Chadwick withdraws the UN's 1st Cruiser Squadron to 5.5m km from 10 Hygiea and activates the active sensor suite on UNS Berlin, leaving it running for 35 seconds before switching it off.

cc: Councilor Innocent_Bystander, Director of Defense; UNEC

Sir, we have followed your order and activated our "Overwatch" active sensor at a range of 5.5m km from 10 Hygiea. As predicted, we are beyond the range it would be able to detect any object. However, we have received no Federation response nor detected any Federation activity. Either they haven't detected our active sensor emissions, or they are ignoring it.

Sir, I have a theory. Let us assume that the Federation has no deep space tracking station on the asteroid. If they had one, they would have been able to detect us at 30m km out with our current thermal signature. They interdicted SS North Sea at 20m km out, though admittedly she was broadcasting on her transponder the entire time. With no DSTS on the asteroid, they'd have to rely on sensors on either a ship or PDC. We have no evidence they have a freighter large enough to move PDC components, so we'd assume it is a ship.

Since we know the location of the Skory-class vessel, we must assume what is at Hygiea is a Moskva. It cannot have a passive sensor much larger than our "Mercury" thermal sensor, so we can assume that it has at most that level of passive sensor capability. A thermal sensor that size would be able to detect us at only 2.4m km. An EM sensor that size would be able to detect us at 6m km, but if they have one of those, they would have already detected us and likely sent a warning.

I believe the odds are that we could move within the range of the "Overwatch" sensor and scan the asteroid without being detected. We'd only have to close in to about 4.4m km, only a 600,000 km transgression. If we are detected, we can claim a navigational error brought us within their space and immediately retreat. The decision is yours, however.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

TO: CDRE Emily Chadwich, CO 1st Cruiser Squadron
RE: 10 Hygiea

It is most unfortunate that errors like this crop up every once in a while. Please be sure to file the paperwork disciplining Ensign... we'll come up with a name later if the Federation calls us on this.

All this, assuming that Innocent_Bystander agrees. If he doesn't we'll fall back for now and come up with a different plan.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
On a bit of a longer term, does anyone know what all those Moskvas are doing around Mars? Maybe we should divert one of our Berlins to make sure the Mars Treaty is being respected.

Ynkling
Mar 22, 2012

CDRE Emily Chadwich posted:

We'd only have to close in to about 4.4m km, only a 600,000 km transgression. If we are detected, we can claim a navigational error brought us within their space and immediately retreat. The decision is yours, however.

If we are detected then we'll simply have to inform the Triumvirate that there will be many more of these inadvertent intrusions until the asteroid frontier has been fully claimed according to the Articles of Colonization.

TO: UNEC, SpaceBook Contacts
SUBJECT:
The Asteroid Frontier and the Empowerment of the International Commission on Colonization and Settlement (ICCS) for the Betterment of the Union

We are risking state secrets and a precious military void-craft to map Federation claims in asteroid fields where a York II bearing a panel of ICCS personnel could do just as well - and free up our military assets.

The Articles of Colonization established the ICCS to provide oversight on the annexation and exploitation of extra-terrestrial bodies, but they currently lack the means to do this. I propose that we lease either UNMS Leeds or UNMS York to tour our Project HONEYBEE targets to verify that all Federation claims are legal and to increase our awareness of the asteroid frontier. The crew will be UN, as will be the route the ship takes, but we would let the international commission perform the inspections free from obstruction - and the Federation would be lawfully required to do the same.

Thoughts?

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

I see that Innocent_Bystander has posted a few times recently. Is he resuming his role as Director of Defense? I'll update tomorrow afternoon using berryjon's orders if not. Or whatever orders are most current when I sit down to update.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

10 Hygiea, 9th June 2030, 8:38 UTC

1st Cruiser Squadron, with both ships throttled down to only 5% of max power to reduce their thermal signature, crosses the 5m km cordon of the Federation outpost at 10 Hygiea.

10 Hygiea, 9th June 2030, 10:45 UTC

CDRE Chadwick orders her squadron to stop 4.4m km from Hygiea and then activates the active sensors on UNS Berlin. Her sensor officer reports two active contacts, tentatively identified as Moskva 004 and Moskva 015. The two craft are picketing Hygiea with idle engines, reducing their thermal signatures to nearly nothing. As a precaution, CDRE Chadwick orders the squadron's anti-ship armaments to target the Federation ships as she observes their reaction. After running the active sensors for 40 seconds and seeing no Federation response, CDRE Chadwick powers down Berlin's sensor suite and begins to withdraw back to the 5.5m km staging point.

Sir, our mission was successful in that we detected two Moskva-class vessels picketing 10 Hygiea without being ourselves detected.

However, as we performed only a distant sensor sweep, we were unable to verify the presence of a Federation mining operation on the asteroid. Any facilities on the body would be masked by the mass of the asteroid itself. Only their thermal or EM emissions would be detectable. The Berlin class's "Mercury" thermal sensor should be able to detect such emissions out to about 100,000 km. If the Moskva has a sensor of 50% greater capability than the "Mercury," we'd need to keep our engines powered down to less than 2% max, which would give us an final approach speed of about 30 km/s. This would keep our themral signature low enough that the Moskvas wouldn't be able to detect us before we detected the Federation mining facilities. If authorized, we would follow a phased approach that would gradually reduce our speed as we got closer to the asteroid to keep our thermal signature profile below the detection threshold for the hypothetical Federation passive sensors. We would be operating without our active sensors, since even a navigational EM sensor would be able to detect our active emissions at 300,000 km.

This is a risky mission proposal, and we defer to the judgment of the Department of Defense and the UNEC as for its pragmatism. It may be simpler to design a passive sensor drone and probe the asteroids that way, or to investigate via civilian means.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
As head of Industry, I gotta say, we should really stop trying to poke our noses at this asteroid. We seem to be taking stupid risks to try and verify a mine and forgetting that we don't want to try and provoke the Feds. And what, what if there isn't a mine, sure we catch the Feds lying about a mine, but then we have to fess up that we violated a cordon both sides agreed to, and I feel like that would be the worse thing to get caught.

Really, most likley what the Feds did was place one mine to claim the asteroid, and they're going to try and plant flags on other roids. One mine isn't going to create much of a signature. Plus there are 2 Moskovas there, so if we're busted, this can explode badly.

Let's just take our lumps, move on, be grateful we didn't get busted the first time, and get back to claiming asteroids and building up.

Ynkling
Mar 22, 2012

I agree with Councillor Jimmy about the risks outweighing the benefits. Allowing the Triumvirate to bluff about asteroid holdings, however, is a dangerous thing. I urge the UNIN to look into passive sensor probes and the rest of UNEC to look at my civilian ICCS proposal.

I'd prefer it if the Feds took the lumps rather than us, and think of the political capital we would gain if the ICCS exposed them! That would be a nice change for once.

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

bgreman posted:

Re: Vahalla Yard

Sir, we have recently received your order for adding a new slipway to the Valhalla naval yard. Our contractors estimate that this will take more than a year, with a completion date estimated in late October or early November of 2031. While this work is onging, the yard could not be tooled to produce the Project VALKYRIE craft.

What we recommend is that capacity expansion continues to allow for larger future designs. When the Project VALKYRIE engine technology is completed, we can tool for the Surigao class and begin construction, and at that time begin work on a new slipway.

We further recommend the same course for the new Vancouver yard.

CO and Lead Cellist of the 57th LTA "Think Tanks"
TO: DOD, UNIN BuShips, CommieWatch Newsgroup

First I must apologize for my absence. I was engaged in a deep cover mission to identify possible infiltrators at the loving E-Check place. Had I been paying attention to my TNEmail I might have noticed this earlier.

UNIN BuShips has indicated that if our "Valhalla" shipyard begins construction of a second slipway right now that our workers will be unable to tool it to produce the Surigao when the design is finalized. That's true. For commies! Valhalla is currently tooled for nothing and that means that, with a little help from the spirit of capitalism, we can tool it for a design instantly. This instant tooling does not interrupt shipyard activity like expansion or construction of slipways no matter what the unionized workers might try to tell you. Just ignore their BS and remind them that they can be replaced if they can't do the job. The Think Tanks are prepared to put down any strike attempts by the Union of Shipyard Workers.

EDIT: Whoops! I just checked my character sheet image thing and evidently I was transferred from the 54th LTA and put back in command of the Think Tanks?! :swoon:
How did I miss that? Better edit my post.

SPERMCUBE.ORG fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Aug 17, 2012

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Ynkling posted:

I agree with Councillor Jimmy about the risks outweighing the benefits. Allowing the Triumvirate to bluff about asteroid holdings, however, is a dangerous thing. I urge the UNIN to look into passive sensor probes and the rest of UNEC to look at my civilian ICCS proposal.

I'd prefer it if the Feds took the lumps rather than us, and think of the political capital we would gain if the ICCS exposed them! That would be a nice change for once.

Passive sensor probes would be helpful for scouting, but this current situation also brings to light the need for a better sensor platform for us, therefore, my friends at Lockheed-Martin would like to pitch a new ship:

[i]Gentleman and Ladies, as you know, the Federation, at least ground wise, has a better sensor system than us, while our current suites are fine for warships, for greater CIC and scouting capacities, we need a system with better detection, therefore, we would like to present our Delphi class scout:

code:
Delphi class Scout    2,950 tons     248 Crew     405 BP      TCS 59  TH 120  EM 0
2033 km/s     Armour 3-18     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/45/0/0     Damage Control Rating 2     PPV 0
Maint Life 3.86 Years     MSP 172    AFR 34%    IFR 0.5%    1YR 18    5YR 274    Max Repair 100 MSP

Nuclear Pulse Engine E10 (3)    Power 40    Fuel Use 100%    Signature 40    Armour 0    Exp 5%
Fuel Capacity 50,000 Litres    Range 30.5 billion km   (173 days at full power)

Cassandra Search System (1)     GPS 100     Range 5.0m km    Resolution 1
Oracle Sensor Suite (1)     GPS 1800     Range 20.1m km    Resolution 20
Seer Detection System (1)     Sensitivity 45     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  45m km

This design is classed as a Military Vessel for maintenance purposes
Utilizing an advance sensor suite, the Delphi is capable of detecting objects of 1000 tons at up to twenty million kilometers, with the capability for detecting one ton objects five million kilometers out. The system can also detect signatures at a distance of forty five million kilometers.

We also have a list of the proposed sensor sub sustems for the Delphi:

code:
Oracle Sensor Suite
Active Sensor Strength: 90   Sensitivity Modifier: 50%
Sensor Size: 9 HS    Sensor HTK: 1
Resolution: 20    Maximum Range vs 1000 ton object (or larger): 20,120,000 km
Range vs 1000 ton object: 20,120,000 km
Range vs 250 ton object: 1,257,500 km
Chance of destruction by electronic damage: 100%
Cost: 90    Crew: 45
Materials Required: 22.5x Duranium  67.5x Uridium

Development Cost for Project: 900RP
code:
Seer Passive Detection System
Thermal Sensor Sensitivity: 45
Sensor Size: 9 HS    Sensor HTK: 1
Cost: 45    Crew: 45
Materials Required: 11.25x Duranium  33.75x Uridium

Development Cost for Project: 450RP
code:
Cassandra Early Warning System
Active Sensor Strength: 100   Sensitivity Modifier: 50%
Sensor Size: 10 HS    Sensor HTK: 1
Resolution: 1    Maximum Range vs 50 ton object (or larger): 5,000,000 km
Range vs Size 6 Missile (or smaller): 544,500 km
Range vs Size 8 Missile: 800,000 km
Range vs Size 12 Missile: 1,800,000 km
Cost: 100    Crew: 50
Materials Required: 25x Duranium  75x Uridium

Development Cost for Project: 1000RP
With this system, you will have a complete data gathering platform with will efficiently utilize all crew and not require extra. The two layers of armor will allow the Delphi to survive in an engagement as it's fellow ships use the telemetry to identify targets. The Delphi will also allow the U.N to Examine objects within cordon zones that extend to five million km.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

Just to make sure it's obvious, the passive sensor you designed, while having a listed range of forty-five million km, that is for a signature of 1000. It would only detect the Berlin burning at max speed at 6.75m km.

Ynkling
Mar 22, 2012

An alternative to leasing one of our two York II's to the ICCS would be to design the sensor probes we discussed for ICCS use - we'd build them and have our Berlin's deliver them to asteroids of note. We'd even provide the ICCS an office in the UNHQ where they can use UN hardware to read the sensor data. Hell, we could even give them trained UN personnel to interpret the sensor data for them! The Feds could get a transcript after a translation period.

Ynkling fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Aug 18, 2012

berryjon
May 30, 2011

TO: UN Navy
RE: 10 Hygia and stuffs.

That's enough poking at asteroids. The Berlin is to continue it's training sweep for now, and if they're lucky enough to catch a Muscova en-route to or from one of their asteroids, so much the better.

The Delphi is given a tentative design approval, but we already have our hand full with construction duties. If we have a spare slipway in the future, I'll allocate one to this design.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

UN, 10th June 2030

1st Cruiser Squadron reaches the 5.5m km staging point for its operations near 10 Hygiea, then throttles back up to its normal cruise velocity and sets course for the other Federation mining operations at 624 Hektor and 24 Themis.

UN, 16th June 2030

From: COL Sebastian Lebow, CO Belanr Imperium Exploration Corps
To: UNEC
Re: Belnar Ruins

Sirs, we've just made a breakthrough in our work with the facilities in the Belnar Ruins. One of our reactivation teams just reported that they've been able to restore functionality to a Belnar production facility. From what they can glean from the Belnar records, it appears to be a small craft production installation. Some of the researchers here have proposed that with only a few modifications, it could be adapted to build UN-designed small craft. We anticipate more reactivations going forward.

624 Hektor, 20th June 2030, 20:33 UTC

1st Cruiser Squadron takes up a station-keeping position 5.5m km from asteroid 624 Hektor.

Re: 624 Hektor

Sir, we have established position outside the Federation's cordon around 624 Hektor. Shall we proceed with a reconnaissance mission like we did at Hygiea? Furthermore, should we then proceed to 24 Themis and execute the same mission?

Industry

Minerals

Shipyards

I have verified that SPERMCUBE.ORG is correct. Using the initial tooling for a shipyard does not interrupt any ongoing activity, so I could begin adding the second slipway now if desired.

Research

The components for Jimmy4400nav's Project DELPHI have been designed, but would need to be researched.

Ynkling
Mar 22, 2012

TO: Brig. General berryjon
CC: UNEC
SUBJECT: Project DELPHI

A budding apparatchik brought up what could be an oversight in the passive sensor suite designed for the oracular Delphi class scout. I have appended his comment below.

bgreman posted:

Just to make sure it's obvious, the passive sensor you designed, while having a listed range of forty-five million km, that is for a signature of 1000. It would only detect the Berlin burning at max speed at 6.75m km.

I am loathe to dispense with our meager research capital, but should the design be deemed acceptable regardless of the above mentioned deficiency and a shipyard be available, I could be amenable to grant Dr. Eumenides' laboratories to the endeavour. When he is done with them, that is to say.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

TO: UNEC
RE: Belnar Ruins

Given that we do not have the technology to construct the appropriate classes of units, I propose that we shelve the usage of this facility until such time as we have a design to use.

TO: CDRE Emily Chadwick, CO 1st Cruiser Squadron
RE: 624 Hektor

At this time, the go ahead is NOT given. There is an alternate diplomatic approach being considered, and so you are ordered to observe the Asteroid while staying between it and Earth for 7-14 days (your discretion) to observe any movement to or from the Asteroid. After that, proceed to the next target, and repeat the above observations.

And do whatever you feel you can to spook the Federation into acting without starting a firefight. Seeing how they respond will help us in the long run.

TO: UNIN
RE: Ships and Shipyards

Please begin the tooling immediately then so that we can shave time off the production of the new class.

Once the stockpile of parts for the fourth Berlin is completed, please begin stockpiling parts for an order of 12 new ships of the smaller class. At this point, I would like to suggest that each Berlin be given three escorts, creating four squadrons of four ships each.

TO: Ynkling, UNEC; Research Division
RE: Research Priorities.

Gentlemen, we are running short of lab spaces and running into too many projects. I would like to see what we can do to increase our available laboratory space in the near future.

Until that time, Eumenides shall finish his research, then his five Labs will go into Slann's NPE Technology (20 Labs total). Once that is finished, I would like five of those Labs reassigned to Jump Point Theory, and the other 15 to the technology required for the Delphi.

Any concerns?

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
To: Director of Defense berryjon
Subject Escort Numbers

While we are fine with a fleet build up, we would like to point out that we already have ten sets of non-engine components for the Samar/Surigo class, are you saying that you would like an extra two sets made to give the even twelve?

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
The Delphi is a gimmick ship at this point, the cost of building one outweighs the value we'd gain from using it. Improved Mining Technology would be better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

berryjon posted:

Please begin the tooling immediately then so that we can shave time off the production of the new class.

Any concerns?

I thought the plan was to start building a slipway now and wait until next generation engines are available before we tool the shipyard. That way we get a head start on the slipway and don't waste our instant tooling on a ship that would be obsolete probably before it's even finished.

• Locked thread