Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
What I'm waiting on now is two things:

1) Is the commercial shipyard going to be tooled for either design and if so, is construction going to start on a ship of that design?

2) What should the idle research labs do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
I say move it into Active sensors and not alpha shields just yet

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
To: UN Attorney General's office
CC: ALL
Re: Space Law

Considering the answer regarding the Outer Space and Moon treaties I received from the UN Attorney General's office, I took the liberty of asking one of my aides, who has a degree in law, to draft a proposal for a treaty to be forwarded to Federation leadership (see: Attachment 1). All who receive this message are invited to offer their thoughts and opinions on the matter.

Attachment 1: Treaty for the Demilitarization of the Earth Sphere (draft)

The undersigned, considered blah blah blah, seeing as yadda yadda yadda, also taking into consideration yak yak yak, AGREE TO THE FOLLOWING TREATY:

Article I: definitions

1. For the purpose of this treaty, the following definitions shall apply:

1.a. "Space" shall be defined as any and all points above the altitude of 100 (one hundred) kilometers above mean sea level of the planet Earth, excluding any celestial body, their surfaces, their atmospheres and all parts thereof;
1.b. "Earth Sphere" shall be defined as any and all points below the altitude of 410000 (four hundred ten thousand) kilometers above mean sea level of the planet Earth;
1.c. "Inner Solar System" shall be defined as any and all points starting from the center of the Sun and extending for 2.77 (two point seventy-seven) Astronomical Units;
1.d "Outer Solar System" shall be defined as any and all points starting from a distance of 2.77 (two point seventy-seven) Astronomical Units from the center of the Sun and extending to and 2000 (two thousand) Astronomical Units from the center of the Sun;
1.e "Long-term" shall be defined as a duration of at least 1 (one) year;
1.f. "Colony" shall be defined as any long-term settlement inhabited by human beings located in space, on the surface of any celestial body, or in the atmosphere of any celestial body, that is not equipped with any weaponry;
1.g. "Military installation" shall be defined as any long-term settlement, whether inhabited by human beings or automated, located in space, on the surface of any celestial body, or in the atmosphere of any celestial body, equipped with any sort of weaponry;
1.h. "Warship" shall be defined as any space-capable vessel equipped with any sort of weaponry;
1.i. "Alien" shall be defined as any living creature and artificial objects or parts thereof not originating, directly or indirectly, from the planet Earth;
1.j. All times and dates shall be defined according to Coordinated Universal Time.

Article II: warfare

1. Starting at 00:01 AM on January 1st, 2030, all direct or indirect warfare outside of space shall be prohibited;
2. Starting at 00.01 AM on January 1st, 2030, the only weaponry allowed outside of space shall be defensive missile installations.

Article III: demilitarization

1. Starting at 00.01 AM on January 1st, 2040, no warship shall be allowed inside of the Earth Sphere.
2. Starting at 00.01 AM on January 1st, 2040, no military installation shall be allowed inside of the Earth Sphere.

Article IV: Colonies and Military Installations

1. The establishment of colonies and military installations in space, on the surface of celestial bodies or in the atmosphere of celestial bodies shall be allowed;
2. Colonies must be properly identified as such;
3. Colonies shall not be allowed to take place in any armed conflict;
4. Any act of aggression against colonies shall be prohibited.

Article V: validity

The present treaty shall enter into force 30 (thirty) days after being signed by the lawful representatives of at least 10 (ten) nations.

Article VI: emergencies

1. The validity of the present treaty can be suspended for a period of 7 (seven) days following a majority vote of the signatory nations;
2. Such a vote can only be called in case of emergency, such as the presence of aliens in the Inner Solar System;
3. The period of suspension can be extended for 7 (seven) further days following a majority vote of the signatory nations;
4. The maximum time for which the present treaty can be suspended shall not exceed 70 (seventy) days.

Article VII: exceptions

1. With regards to article II.2, the following exception shall apply:
1.a. All weaponry manufactured outside of space shall be exempt from the present treaty for 2 (two) days following their manufacture.
2. With regards to article III.1, the following exceptions shall apply:
2.a. All warships manufactured inside the Earth Sphere shall be exempt from the present treaty for 2 (two) days following their completion;
2.b. In case of emergency (including, but not limited to, engine failure, life support failure, and navigation failure), a warship may enter the Earth Sphere for a maximum time of 1 (one) day.
3. With regards to article III.2, the following exception shall apply:
3.b. All military installations manufactured inside the Earth Sphere shall be exempt from the present treaty for 2 (two) days following their completion.

END DRAFT

OOC note: wow, I think I may have been a bit carried away here. Just a couple of quick notes:
- 100 km from mean sea level is the usual definition of where space starts;
- 410000 km is a tiny bit above the maximum Earth-Moon distance;
- 2.77 AU is the mean distance from the Sun of Ceres (i.e.: the Asteroid Belt);
- Likewise, 2000 AU is the low-end estimate for the distance from the Sun of the Oort Cloud.

Mikl fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Apr 10, 2012

PokeWarVeteran
Apr 3, 2012
Would military academies count as "military installations"? I think training facilities should be specifically addressed in the bill, to avoid misunderstandings in the future.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

To: Commander Tarquin Mikl
CC: UN Attorney General's office
Re: Re: Space Law

Given the commies recent space probing actions, it's already pretty apparent they have no interest in any treaties formed during their time under the first UN charter. We feel that, due to the inevitable rise in space flight that TNEs will bring about, any talk of de-militarising space would compromise the economic and military security of the UN and the peoples of Earth. It was only with an increased military presence that the piracy rife in the Colonial era was stamped out.

At this time we feel that tactical and strategic flexibility are vitally important as we lead humanity to the stars.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

bgreman posted:

What I'm waiting on now is two things:

1) Is the commercial shipyard going to be tooled for either design and if so, is construction going to start on a ship of that design?

2) What should the idle research labs do?

Tool the commercial shipyard for the York variant freighter. Hopefully by the time it's constructed we'll have some solid data on the other planets.

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures

Lord Windy posted:

I say move it into Active sensors and not alpha shields just yet

Our best Sensor researcher is occupied with Geo-Surveyor, we should probably wait for him to finish that before we start Active Sensors.

bgreman: Just shove those labs into currently active researches, trying to figure out what to do with 4 labs for ten days is sorta pointless. This way we can start arguing what to actually research instead of spending time to try to find a tech that doesn't require more than couple labs.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Puistokemisti posted:

Our best Sensor researcher is occupied with Geo-Surveyor, we should probably wait for him to finish that before we start Active Sensors.

bgreman: Just shove those labs into currently active researches, trying to figure out what to do with 4 labs for ten days is sorta pointless. This way we can start arguing what to actually research instead of spending time to try to find a tech that doesn't require more than couple labs.

If Magicboots is free, it could be worth throwing him and the 4 labs at Duranium armour to toughen up our ships. It's cheap and he gets ridiculous bonuses, so it should be relatively short if we come up with other plans.

Edit: Or Alpha shields if we want those. Not quite as cheap, but still bonuses!

Ynkling
Mar 22, 2012

For these reasons I vote for granting UN membership to our moon.
Can I get Cryogenics with Euminedes for 4 labs?

This way we can keep our big two research projects finish at the same time all neat and pretty like and get a leg up into freezing dudes and potentially waking them up or whatever I really skimmed that part.

edit: we already got Duranium!

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

Ynkling posted:

This way we can keep our big two research projects finish at the same time all neat and pretty like and get a leg up into freezing dudes and potentially waking them up or whatever I really skimmed that part.

That's a great idea

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

Ynkling posted:

Cryo is a really good option. That and cargo handling are both going to be really important I think.

CO of the 57th LTA "Think Tanks"
TO: U.N Industrial Command
RE: Infrastructure

Right now the UN has no access to any infrastructure and with the possibility of a freighter being built to transport infrastructure... Well you can see the problem.

I've looked over our industrial records and one thing bothered me: Decimal points. These fractions of a percent are driving me crazy! If we were to round down all the allocations in our various industrial construction projects to whole numbers we would free up 2% of our industrial capacity that could be allocated to infrastructure. At that build rate one unit of infrastructure could be completed about every 6 days I think.

I know this because I helped my nephew with his 7th grade science fair project about turning infrastructure into NASCAR tracks. His school said that wasn't technically science. My rear end! Also some of my guys have been acquiring infrastructure off base and turning it into stills. So I have some experience with these things.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Ynkling posted:

Oh whoops. Cryo or Cargo loaders then!

When we order our first freighter we probably should order a load of infrastructure to ship TO THE MOON.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
UN, 3rd August 2025

The keel of the first fully UN-owned ship, the UNS York, is laid down at the ISS Shipyard, which had been preparing to tool for it for some weeks. Completion of construction and space trials is estimated for mid-December. Conversion to tooling for the Galicia-class passenger transport will take 216 days.

Let me know if you want me to set the ISS yard to begin retooling for the Galicia-class. That can be done even while the York is building.

Meanwhile, four of the UN's top research institutions, under the leadership of Dr. Eumenides, begins work on large-scale cryogenic transport.

UN, 8th August 2025

A magna cum laude graduate of the UN's military academy joins the command officer ranks today.

Officers entering the game are flagged with New Officer, Promising New Officer or Exceptional New Officer depending on their initial promotion score. This officer's 755 is really high for a new officer. It is also our 24th commander, meaning one of them will be promoted shortly.

UN, 17th August 2025

Dr. Slaan's research into ship-borne pressurized water reactors and Dr. Barrelfox's investigation of geological survey sensors finally come to fruition. Dr. Slaan's work has revealed several interesting avenues of exploration.

PWRs generate 2 MW per hull space. Further reactor tech increases this ratio, and also serves as the basis for further engine techs as described in the Engine Design update.

Research Unlocked
Power and Propulsion

• Nuclear Thermal Engine Technology Cost: 2500 RP, €2.5 billion. Description: Base engine technology for engine component designs. Provides 5 power per HS of engine. By utilizing TNE-salted pressurized water reactors to heat ReSor and vent it through an exhaust, nuclear thermal engines can provide up to five times more thrust than the best conventional rocket engines.
  • Pebble Bed Reactor Technology Cost: 3000 RP, €3 billion. Description: Base technology used for creation of power plants. Pre-requisite tech for nuclear pulse engines. Using duranium and boronide as part of the structural layers of a TRISO or QUADRISO fuel in a pebble bed reactor allows for greater amounts of fuel to be packed into a smaller space, increasing the energy density of the reactor compared to more conventional designs.

Power Plant Design

Power plants in Aurora are used to generate power needed to fire beam weapons (energy weapons and railguns; gauss cannons do not require reactors).

Power Plant Technology is the type of power plant to build. It determines the power / hull space ratio and the cost / hull space.

Power vs. Efficiency is the same tech as for Engines. A power increase setting here increases the output of the reactor at the expense of a higher explosion chance upon a hit. I don't know what the "efficiency" refers to, since as far as I know, power plants consume no fuel. I think it's just to be able to reuse the same tech from Engines.

Size is the size in hull spaces of the reactor. The total Power Output of a reactor is Power Output per hull space (which is a constant for each type of reactor) times size in hull spaces. Everything else is also multiplied by the size: cost, crew, required materials, and development cost.

Example Reactor:

code:
Pressurised Water Reactor PB-1
Power Output: 2     Explosion Chance: 5
Reactor Size: 1 HS    Reactor HTK: 1
Cost: 6    Crew: 5
Materials Required: 1.5x Duranium  5x Neutronium  4.5x Boronide

Development Cost for Project: 60RP
Additionally, a joint UNIN-UNSA task force has created a design for a remote geological survey probe based in anticipation of these new capabilities.

Missile Design

Missile design is complicated, with a lot of fiddling with numbers to get what you want.

The Empire dropdown, like most others, selected the empire that is designing this missile. The Missile Type radio button selects whether we are designing a missile, a drone (a slower, more fuel-efficient missile with fixed agility), or a buoy (a "missile" with no engines, but with reactors, that can be dropped or deployed as the second stage of a drone or missile. A buoy's reactors allow it to stay active where it is deployed, compared to missile and drones, which self-destruct when they run out of fuel).

This dropdown allows selecting any previously designed missile that is not marked obsolete. Doing so will fill in all the component values to be the same as those for that missile design. This can be useful when you want to update a missile design because your tech has improved, but you want to maintain the same proportion of components as the prior design.

This gridview contains a condensed listing of all your current technologies concerning missiles. Unlike other player-designed systems, you don't have an option of which tech generation to use when designing a missile. You are forced to always use the latest tech.

• Warhead Strength per MSP gives the amount of damage the warhead is capable of doing for each missile size point (MSP) you invest in the warhead.
  • Missile Engine Power per MSP gives the amount of power per engine MSP that the missile will have. It is currently at zero because we have not researched any missile engine technologies. Recall that each regular engine technology has an associated missile engine tech that is unlocked when the engine tech and the prior missile engine tech have both been researched.
  • Drone Engine Power per MSP gives the amount of power per engine MSP that the drone will have. This is separate from the missile engine rating because drones are slower. Each missile engine tech has a corresponding drone engine tech that is unlocked when the missile engine tech and the prior drone engine tech are researched. Conventional empires start with Nuclear Thermal Drone engine technology for whatever reason (probably so we don't have to research four techs to be able to launch survey probes: Pressurized Water Reactor, Nuclear Thermal Engine, Nuclear Thermal Missile Engine, Nuclear Thermal Drone Engine).
  • Missile Agility per MSP gives the amount of agility the missile has for each MSP invested in agility. Agility is used to calculate the manoeuvre rating of the missile, which determines its chance to hit things.
  • Fuel efficiency is the same tech as for regular engines and determines how much fuel the missile or drone uses in a given time for a given engine power. Drones are 10x more efficient than regular missiles.
  • ECM Strength per MSP gives the amount of countermeasures built into the missile per MSP invested in ECM. ECM makes missiles harder to target with point defense.
  • Active, Thermal, EM, Geo Sensor Strength per MSP gives the strength of the various kinds of sensor for each MSP of that sensor type invested. Missiles, drones, and buoys can have sensors placed on them that can detect other ships, missiles, etc. Geo sensors on missiles, drones, and buoys can be used to remotely survey bodies. These values are determined by the various sensor strength techs, except geological sensors, which is fixed at 0.01 per MSP.
  • Reactor Duration in Months per MSP dictates how long the reactors in a buoy will last for each MSP invested in reactors.
  • Laser Warhead Strength and Enhanced Radiation Modifier are values that advanced missiles will use to modify their effects. They will be covered should those techs ever be researched.

Note: An MSP is 1/20th of a hull space, or 2.5 tonnes. Aurora missiles are therefore much larger than most real world missiles, as the size 1 missile in Aurora is still 2.5 tonnes. It is possible to make missiles smaller than size 1, but launchers have a minimum size of 1, so the only benefit would be massive amounts of missiles carried. At high tech levels this might be feasible, but at low levels, it would be hard to make any kind of effective missile with less than 1 MSP.

These panes allows setting the various MSP values for each missile component. The MSP value for each component is multiplied by its associated tech ratio, and the result displayed in the value column.

• Warhead Strength determines how much damage the missile does when it hits.
  • Engine Power primarily determines the speed of the missile. A missile's engine power is 5x that of its ship-based equivalent, and consumes 10,000x as much fuel. A missile's speed is given by its total engine power / its size in hull spaces * 1000 km/s, rounded to the nearest hundred. Ex: a Size 7 missile (7 MSP = 0.35 HS) with engine power 5 has a speed of 5 (engine power) / 0.35 (size in HS) * 1000 km/s = 14,300 km/s. The engine power MSP for a drone is fixed at 5 (which also means that a drone has a minimum size of 5 MSP, though this would be an all-engine drone and would do nothing else). The engine power of a missile also indirectly contributes to its range.
  • Fuel Capacity determines how much ReSor fuel the missile carries. Each MSP devoted to fuel is 2500 litres of ReSor. Fuel use for missiles is calculated the same way as for ships, except that missiles consume fuel at 10,000x the rate of ship-based engines. Drones only use fuel at 1000x the rate. The fuel capacity of a missile divided by its fuel consumption gives its endurance. It endurance times its speed gives its range.
  • Agility determines how manoeuverable the missile is. Manoeuver rating (MR) is calculated as 10 + (agility / size in MSP). Drones have a fixed MR of 5. The chance to hit a target is % chance to hit = (missile speed / target speed) x MR. This chance is modified by crew grade when fired by a ship or PDC.
  • Active Sensor gives the strength of an active sensor built into the missile. Active sensors will be covered in a later update.
  • Thermal/EM Sensor gives the strength of the EM or Thermal (or both) sensor built into a missile. This strength works exactly like the strength listed in the EM/Thermal sensor design update.
  • Geo sensor is the geo sensor strength. This is equal to the number of geological survey points the sensor generates per hour. Each system body has a number of points required to complete the geological survey of it.
  • Ablative armor devotes MSPs to armoring the missile. The chance to destroy a missile when hit is equal to damage done / (armor + damage done). Thus hitting a size 2 missile with 1 MSP of armor with a 1 damage hit has a (1 / (1+1)) = 50% chance of destroying it. An unarmored missile would have a 100% chance of destruction from a single 1 damage hit.
  • ECM increases the difficulty of hitting the missile with point defense munitions. ECM reduces the effective range of fire controls targeting the missile.
  • Laser Warhead and Enhanced Radiation are advanced options for missiles that we'll cover if the time ever arises when it is necessary.

This pane allows you to set the second stage of the missile, drone, or buoy. You select the missile design that composes the second stage from the Missile Type dropdown. :siren:A rookie mistake is to then forget to increase the Number from 0 to any number. This would create a missile without any upper stage. I have done this more times than I can count. Separation Range gives the range from target at which the missile will deploy its second stage munitions. Missile Size and Cost give details about the size and build cost of each second stage munition. Total Size and Cost multiplies those values by the Number of submunitions and give a total value. Materials lists the materials involved in constructing the second stage.

Second stages can be used for many things. You can give a buoy a second stage that consists of small thermally guided missiles to create a mine. You can give a drone a second stage of many small missiles to create a sort of MIRV. Before some clever goon asks, yes, you can chain these, though the final missile size starts going up quick, and the max launcher size is 100.

We'll be using this functionality to create a drone that carries a buoy to a system body, then deploys the buoy, which will begin a geological survey of the body.

The Missile Series pane gives a list of missiles added to the series selected in the dropdown. The buttons at the bottom of the missile design dialog allow manipulation of the series. A missile series is a micromanagement avoidance feature (gasp!) added to try to minimize ordnance juggling. Essentially, when you design a ship that uses missiles, you can specify its ordnance loadout. If the missiles in the loadout belong to a missile series, when the ship is ordered to reload and cannot find any of the missiles from its loadout, it will attempt to reload the most recently designed missile in the series instead.

Clear Design blanks all the MSP allocations on the dialog. Create Series creates a new missile series. Delete Series deletes the series selected in the Missile Series dropdown. Set Series sets the series for the missile design selected in the MSP Allocation of Previous Design dropdown near the top of the dialog.

Replace All is a powerful function. It searches the loadout of all ships for the missile design selected in the Previous Design dropdown, and replaces it with the missile design selected in the Missile Series listbox. This is a quick way to force all your ships to start trying to carry the latest missile design in a series.

This pane displays all the parameters of the missile as currently designed, including the size (in both MSP and HS), warhead strength, armor rating, manoeuvre rating, speed, endurance, range, cost per missile (in BP and wealth), materials required, and RP development cost. It also lists a chance to hit for various target speeds.

:siren:Just as with designing components, we're not creating a missile we can go and start mass producing. We're creating a design for one, that needs to be researched before construction can start.

UN Missile Naming Nomenclature
UN missiles are given a designation of the following format: (Launch Environment Code)(Mission Description Code)(Missile Type Code)-(Missile design number)(Modification Letter).

Launch Environment Codes
  • L PDC or silo launched.
  • F Space vessel under 1000 tonnes displacement.
  • S Space vessel over 1000 tonnes displacement.

Mission Description Codes
  • G Designed to destroy land-based targets.
  • B Designed as a carrier stage that deploy a submunition.
  • R Designed to perform reconnaissance, detection, surveillance.
  • I Designed to intercept targets in a defensive role.
  • S Designed to destroy space-based targets.
  • Y Designed to perform sensor surveys.

Missile Type Code
  • M Guided missile.
  • D Drone.
  • P Probe or buoy without submunitions.
  • N Mine (probe or buoy with submunitions).

The joint UNIN-UNSA project first requires the development of the remote geological sensor buoy.

code:
LYP-1A Prospector Geological Survey Probe
Buoy Size: 10 MSP  (0.5 HS)     Armour: 0
Reactor Endurance: 5 months
Geo Sensor Strength: 0.075    Maximum points: 270
Cost Per Buoy: 2.375
Materials Required:    1x Boronide   1.5x Uridium

Development Cost for Project: 238RP
This design will be able to entirely scan Luna in about 96 days. Larger bodies will likely require multiple buoys. The buoy will be conveyed to the body by a carrier drone, to be designed after the Prospector probe design is finalized.

It is annoying that I have to actually research this before I can set it as the second stage of a drone design. Up to you guys to decide whether to proceed or redesign the probe or whatever. I also need your other research priorities now that reactors and geo sensors have finished.

Industry

Mining

Shipyards

Research

bgreman fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Apr 11, 2012

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

To: UNSC
CC: Goooooons
Re: Research goals

Add 1 lab to Eumenadies' project

Give Slann 10 labs to research Nuclear Thermal Energy Technology

Assign the remaining 10 labs to developing Geological probes under Barrelfox

After we have geo probes, I guess 5 labs to Barrelfox for Gravitic sensors and 5 to MagicBoots for Alpha Shields.

OOC: I was waiting for your update on survey missiles to figure out how they worked, so I have nothing further to add at this time

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.
Can we improve the scan time by deploying multiple survey drones?

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

Veloxyll posted:

To: UNSC
CC: Goooooons
Re: Research goals

Add 1 lab to Eumenadies' project

Give Slann 10 labs to research Nuclear Thermal Energy Technology

Assign the remaining 10 labs to developing Geological probes under Barrelfox

After we have geo probes, I guess 5 labs to Barrelfox for Gravitic sensors and 5 to MagicBoots for Alpha Shields.

OOC: I was waiting for your update on survey missiles to figure out how they worked, so I have nothing further to add at this time

I think as soon as the engines are completed, we want to build a military and commercial version of them. It's important as well to build Active Sensors, instead of Gravtic Sensors or Alpha shields the 10 should go to Active Sensor

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

I was assuming that the Nuclear engines would take longer significantly longer than getting our probes operational. Should they be completed it would be important to create Nuclear Thermal Engines.

Do we have a sensor tech to make active sensors to improve our fire control? I was assuming we didn't, thus the suggestion of developing gravitational sensors (I haven't figured out how to target the moon in my test games yet and the only thing I hadn't added was an upgraded sensor pack. And since the moon has gravity, weeell)

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

bgreman posted:

code:
LYP-1A Prospector Geological Survey Probe
Buoy Size: 10 MSP  (0.5 HS)     Armour: 0
Reactor Endurance: 5 months
Geo Sensor Strength: 0.075    Maximum points: 270
Cost Per Buoy: 2.375
Materials Required:    1x Boronide   1.5x Uridium

Development Cost for Project: 238RP
This design will be able to entirely scan Luna in about 96 days. Larger bodies will likely require multiple buoys. The buoy will be conveyed to the body by a carrier drone, to be designed after the Prospector probe design is finalized.

That looks like a pretty good survey buoy design to me. I checked out what the carrier drone for one of these would look like (assuming we want a total missile size of 24 MSP for compatibility with our ICBM tubes) and each would be able to dump a buoy 680.4 million kilometers away. That allows us to scan the entire inner system easily. It also should just barely give access to Jupiter and its moons when Earth and Jupiter are at their closest.

Veloxyll posted:

I was assuming that the Nuclear engines would take longer significantly longer than getting our probes operational. Should they be completed it would be important to create Nuclear Thermal Engines.

Do we have a sensor tech to make active sensors to improve our fire control? I was assuming we didn't, thus the suggestion of developing gravitational sensors (I haven't figured out how to target the moon in my test games yet and the only thing I hadn't added was an upgraded sensor pack. And since the moon has gravity, weeell)

I had the same problem with targeting the moon. Apparently you use waypoints. Center on the moon by left-clicking it and then go to your waypoints tab and hit the "last" button. That will add that waypoint to your list of targets. Active sensors allow you to target enemy ships, installations, and ground troops.

Also with your research agenda above you have some guys researching the geo probes but then they move on to something else. By probe did you mean the whole package or what? I'm asking this because you have to research the geo survey buoy and when that is done we design the drone that carries it and then we need to research that too.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

SPERMCUBE.ORG posted:

I had the same problem with targeting the moon. Apparently you use waypoints. Center on the moon by left-clicking it and then go to your waypoints tab and hit the "last" button. That will add that waypoint to your list of targets. Active sensors allow you to target enemy ships, installations, and ground troops.

Ahh, that's how you do it. In the game where I surveyed successfully I just waited till I had engines and made a starship.

quote:

Also with your research agenda above you have some guys researching the geo probes but then they move on to something else. By probe did you mean the whole package or what? I'm asking this because you have to research the geo survey buoy and when that is done we design the drone that carries it and then we need to research that too.

Yeah, I was calling the whole buoy and drone the probe project. So once we have both parts and can start deploying geological survey systems, the researchers go to other projects.

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Ah OK, gotcha. I thought that's what you meant, just wanted to make sure.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

This is CMDR Veloxyll's proposal. It would need to be signed off on by Councillor Ynkling or Administrator Farecoal before I can advance time.

Ynkling
Mar 22, 2012

RE: Research goals

CMDR Veloxyll's proposal looks good to me! Great initiative there, creating a detailed list of labs and scientists.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Is it optimal to construct more Labs for faster research?

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

berryjon posted:

Eventually, yes, though they're very expensive (2400 BP each, IIRC). Probably best to wait for the construction factories to be converted.

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures
And we probably want some Automated Mines constructed first to be ferried into some planet.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

berryjon posted:

You can improve your research abilities either by constructing more labs or researching the Research Rate techs, which make your existing labs produce more RP.

UN, 25th September 2025

Dr. Barrelfox completes feasibility studies of the Prospector GeoSurvey probe. He forwards his data on to the UNIN-UNSA team, and they respond quickly with their design for the carrier bus drone.

code:
LBN-2A Gold Rush Geosurvey Carrier Drone
Missile Size: 24 MSP  (1.2 HS)     Warhead: 0    Armour: 0     Manoeuvre Rating: 5
Speed: 4200 km/s    Endurance: 2700 minutes   Range: 680.4m km
Cost Per Missile: 3.9167, €3.9167 million
Second Stage: LYP-1A Prospector Geological Survey Probe x1
Second Stage Separation Range: 150,000 km
Overall Endurance: 152 days   Overall Range: 680.4m km
Chance to Hit: 1k km/s 21%   3k km/s 5%   5k km/s 4.2%   10k km/s 2.1%
Materials Required:    1x Boronide   1.5x Uridium   1.1667x Gallicite   Fuel x22500

Development Cost: 392 RP, €392 million
They urge research into this design to begin immediately.

You have 10 available labs. Here's what it would look like if Dr. Barrelfox were assigned those labs. Once I get a research plan from Ynkling or Farecoal, we're good to proceed again.

bgreman fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Apr 11, 2012

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.

bgreman posted:

UN, 29th July 2025

CMDR Vander's constant work in the simulators has paid off, as he is now a more effective combat task force commander.

TO: All UN CMDRs

Fellow Commanders,

While I appreciate that I have been honored with this accolade, it is unnecessary. I need no more than to be at the helm of command. However, in the interest of improving the UN command as a whole, I will share some tactics that I employed that led to this accolade in a hope that such an improvement can be made by others.

• Forced drilling for a number of hours a day (much like the soldiers of old did to learn to march in formation) will imbue a sense of unity in your crew. If no space is available big enough to function as a 'yard' for such drills, either require that such drills are done in barrack halls/ individual cabins for similar periods or threaten that such drills will be performed in the vacuum of space without proper apparatii for said ventures if crew unity falters have been found to be sufficient.
  • In the event of any disruption of proper crew functioning, it is important that the crew understands their transgression: While usually caused by the actions of one or two crewmen, such errors must be suffered by the crew as a whole: Lessening of rations or available leisure time have worked. (I have petitioned for the option of using corporal punishment. While 'not allowed by the UN Charter on Human Rights' has been a common response, I think that such lame excuses will not stand given our current mission. I expect to have such clearance soon. In which case, it will be proper to distribute lashes earned by the errant crewman amongst the crew in total.
  • Allegations that the mother of the helmsmen was unchaste either currently or at the time of the conception of said helmsman had a noticeable reduction in said helmsman's non-work banter while on duty.
  • Asserting that the fathers of the helmsmen are infertile or otherwise incapable of reproduction --thus necessitating that said helmsmen is a bastard child-- has a similar effect.
  • It is important to not give positive praise or rewards to your crewmen. As sweets make the child fat, so will rewards make the crew lazy. A successful task completed is all the praise that a crewman needs.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
TO: (All) - ILB Missile Complex Valkyrie

Any requests for transfer to ILB Missile Complex Windhammer will be approved, contingent on the applicant's provision of suitable spirits. Preferably calvados.

P.S. - CMDR Vander, we'll see whether tyranny can induce greater loyalty than the prospect of confit d'escalope avec caviar in the officers' mess.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
58th Armor Command "Rocket and Roll"
TO: Lord Windy

Sir, please recommend to your superiors that we research Orbital Habitation with our freed up labratory space. Building space stations means building larger and better naval facilities, as well as providing a spring board for more long-term explorations.

If a Lunar colony is out, can a feasibility study of plaing an orbital facility around Luna be conducted?

Ynkling
Mar 22, 2012

RE: New Research Goals

Permission granted. There I said the words nicely can you put the gun down no- [intelligible, followed by sounds of a struggle before the recording is turned off]

Very clearly a different voice speaking with a heavy Russian accent:

I was making joke. No guns. Uhhhhh yeee-haw cowboy playtime is over. No need to investigate private office, unless to bring up sandwiches and vodka. And five glasses.

[muffled scream in the background is heard before the recording cuts off]

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
TO: UNEC

I want to ask that we finished off the probe, but we would like to see Active Sensors -> we need to these for firing controls for our missiles as much as we need to create defences

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
From U.N Industrial Command
C.C Next Research Project

Industrial command agrees with the recommendation of The Director of Defense Lord Windy. Having nice instillation, ships and weapons is kind of moot if we can't see what is coming or what we're aiming at. Battlefield information and awareness is critical for success, but tends to be over looked. A superior information gathering network in the field will serve as both an effective coordinator of forces as well as a potent early warning system.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

UN, 22nd October 2025

Another academy graduate joins the UNIN leadership, and Captain Boen increases his combat leadership.

UN, 29th October 2025, 18:08 UTC

To: UNIN Intelligence Office, UNEC
Re: New Federation Contact

Sirs, five seconds ago, our system picked up a 6 MW thermal contact making for the moon at 4200 km/s. The drive plume bears a characteristic Federation signature.

To: UNEC
Re: New Federation Contact

The signature does not appear to be a new ship, and is traveling at nearly 40 times the speed of the Krivak-class ships. We suspect it is some kind of missile or probe.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
C.C Mysterious Federation Contact

It's just a probe, if it was a weapon, then why deploy just one, most likely they managed to crank out a probe before us.

Don't fret, remember the commies were the first to go to space, but the good guys still won the space race.

Still, we probably will want to make sure that we still beat the commies.

For our cryonics research, can we ensure that most of our research labs are assigned to it after they are done with their current tasks. Also I propose we start cranking these drones out at our ordinance factories, they're fairly cheap, and the more we deploy, the faster we know what property is hot.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
TO: UNEC

The launch of this probe, in light of the fact that the Federation recently landed on the moon suggests a high probability that their initial visit discovered deposits of TNEs, which they now wish to map in detail for future exploitation.

I recommend that we expedite progress on both the probe project, and construction of the first York class freighter, to ensure that we can analyse the situation for ourselves as soon as is practical.

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

CO of the 57th LTA "Think Tanks"
TO: My Spacebook Contacts

So the Federation beat us to geosurvey probes. But not by much. Their probe appears to be the same design as our proposed probes. I would expect an awful lot more to be launched in the immediate future. Another propaganda victory for the commies. Though it would have been nice if they had informed us they would be launching what looks like a missile before they did it. The citizens of UN member nations are not going to like this.

It doesn't matter. In about one-and-a-half months we will have the capability to steal the Federation's thunder by establishing the first off world colony if we choose to. That ought to calm things down. I'm going to repeat a suggestion I made earlier since someone doesn't read their space mail.

We need to have a bit of infrastructure ready to go for when our freighter is completed. We should be seeing the completion of our Military Academy construction project pretty soon freeing up about half of our industrial capacity. I'd request that a little bit of that free capacity (say around 5% of total) be allocated to building infrastructure. Also increase the build rate on our conversion to ordinance factories to around 10% or it will take us months to build one of our new probes anyhow. Industrial Command should modify these numbers as he sees fit.

Finally we should have a geology team already waiting on the moon for when our geological survey probe finishes its job. Because there is a good chance that our probe will find nothing there but a survey team will almost certainly turn something up.

SPERMCUBE.ORG fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Apr 12, 2012

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

UN, 29th October 2025, 18:10

The Federation probe contact disappears one and a half minutes after it was detected, in the vicinity of Luna.
The game peculiarly does not raise an event for a missile contact disappearing after a second stage release.

Domestic News, 18th November 2025

The UN today announced an expansion of its military academy. A new branch of the facility opened in Western Europe, doubling its training capacity. UN leaders hope that enrollment at the new branch matches that at the original academy, and look forward to the new possibilities presented by a more rapidly expanding leadership corps.

The UN now produces 10 leaders per year (one every 36 days) and 2000 crewmen and junior officers. They still enter the pool with 100 crew grade.

The completion of this work frees up a significant amount of the UN's industrial capacity, which can now be turned to other projects.

Industry

• CI is converted to Construction Factories at a rate of 1 every 3.44 days. (Current TN factories: 69).
  • CI is converted to Mines at a rate of 1 every 27.56 days. (Current TN mines: 8).
  • CI is converted to Ordnance Factories at a rate of 1 every 55.13 days. (Current ordnance factories: 4).
  • CI is converted to Fuel Refineries at a rate of 1 every 55.13 days. (Current refineries: 4).
  • Infrastructure is being built at a rate of 1 unit every 2.33 days.

These rates are all as of this day (2025.11.18). As noted, the rate is increasing as new CFs come online. The UN had 48% of its construction capacity available to re-task. This can be split among existing projects, used for new projects, or a combination. I've gone ahead and assigned 5% to building 10 infrastructure (enough for about 3 million people) (leaving 43% CC available), but will wait until Farecoal or Jimmy4400nav submit a plan to proceed.

bgreman fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Apr 12, 2012

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
C.C: New Production Goals

The 5% for infrastucture is good. In addition I'd like to assign an additional 5% to the ordinence factory converstions, and an additional 10% to the mine conversions. Everything else can go to the factory conversions.

Ynkling
Mar 22, 2012

If we convert the conventional industry to TNE industry, will the other convertions go faster in turn?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Ynkling posted:

If we convert the conventional industry to TNE industry, will the other convertions go faster in turn?

Yes, I think so. All those projects underneath the Construction Factories heading ought to be using build points provided by our construction factories. So with more build points things get done faster.

• Locked thread