Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
Well, I've finally caught up with this. It made my brain hurt.

So, since I think we still have a couple of slots left, please sign me up as a naval commander of some podunk ICBM base!

I certainly won't leverage my tiny position of influence into political clout and blackmail everyone above me into submission, no sir!

Edit:
Also, I have a suggestion regarding the names of our ship classes. In order to honour the inspirations of our manchildhood, I suggest we use the names of fictional space-captains and pilots, preferrably related to the ship's role so:
Picard-class Exploration Vessel.
Reynolds-class Cargo Hauler.
Adama-class Carrier.
Lohengramm-class Battleship.
Antilles-class Fighter.
...and so forth.

The_White_Crane fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Apr 8, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
TO: All Base Personnel

It has come to my attention that personnel have recently taken to referring to our duty station as 'Big Red Button Package Delivery Service'.
This must stop. It is a grotesque and un-humorous joke, totally at odds with the seriousness of our positions and the power of the weapons we are charged with.
However, I have been convinced by my adjutant that the name 'ILB Missile Complex 026' is not particularly inspiring or beneficial for morale.
Thus, I am announcing a new designation for this base, to be used in all correspondance effective immediately; 'Lord Windy's Hammer'.

TO: Lord Windy, DDaP

Thanks for your help getting the cushy billet, sir.
Hope you like the scotch.

TO: UNEC

Regarding the recent news of Federation landings on Luna and Mars, and the rumours that they will soon reach jupiter, I suggest a retaliatory strike policy. A warhead aimed at Luna could eradicate their commie flags, and restore the pristine beauty of our moon.
Additionally, a well prepared strike as they return to Earth would rob the Federation of several potential propaganda heroes, assuming that their Krivak class ships are not intended to begin colonisation efforts.
Finally, I advocate beginning work on our own extra-planetary efforts as swiftly as possible, before the Federation can make a formal claim on any deposits of TNEs that are out there.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
Isn't that alteration actually making the game less realistic though?
I thought that at the moment, the problem with long-term lunar colonisation was that humans can't deal with the prolonged low-gravity environment (if they ever want to go home again)...
Not that I'm saying 'OMG hard sci-fi, etc.', but so far Aurora seems comparatively careful in its breaks from reality, whereas this seems a little arbitrary.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
Red spies! Good God...
Does that actually have any gameplay effect? Worsens our diplomatic relations or something?
(Also, calling them commies is just funny. I'm British, AFAIK we didn't ever have that whole propaganda period, and it's still a 'thing' over here.)

TO: UN-BuPers

I have heard the news regarding the proposed designs for new moon-bound vessels, and while I wish to assure you that I am champing, nay, straining at the bit to give the reds what-for, I must regretfully pre-emptively withdraw my candidacy for command of one of the new 'Unarmed Deathtrap' class freighters.
Inner ear problems, you see.
My physician assures me that spaceflight in a craft powered by conventional rocket engines is quite out of the question. However, the new TNE-powered engines should - they say - present no problems.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
TO: (All) - ILB Missile Complex Valkyrie

Any requests for transfer to ILB Missile Complex Windhammer will be approved, contingent on the applicant's provision of suitable spirits. Preferably calvados.

P.S. - CMDR Vander, we'll see whether tyranny can induce greater loyalty than the prospect of confit d'escalope avec caviar in the officers' mess.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

The launch of this probe, in light of the fact that the Federation recently landed on the moon suggests a high probability that their initial visit discovered deposits of TNEs, which they now wish to map in detail for future exploitation.

I recommend that we expedite progress on both the probe project, and construction of the first York class freighter, to ensure that we can analyse the situation for ourselves as soon as is practical.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
Because it's not ill-omened at all, I suggest 'Moonbase Alpha'.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
TO: Assorted Naysayers

I posted:

The launch of this probe, in light of the fact that the Federation recently landed on the moon suggests a high probability that their initial visit discovered deposits of TNEs, which they now wish to map in detail for future exploitation.

Perhaps, in future, you will not doubt my powers of strategic analysis.
And no-one is to mention the previous year's wargames.
Bribing members of the other teams with fine cognac counts as strategy, drat it!

What is the policy, if any, regarding staking claim to celestial bodies? Is it possible for us (or the commies) to designate areas of Luna as sovreign soil, such that incursions upon it would be considered a warful act?

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

It seems I am such an excellent spy that I concealed my talents even from myself!
I volunteer for a role in our initial penetration efforts against the Federation, once sufficient personnel to provide me with decoys backup have been assembled.
I've been practicing my commie talk especially for the occasion.

Commie Talk 101 posted:

Das vidanya, mein kamerad! Have you completed your quota of proleteriat beatings!?
I have been taking the riches of the unjustly wealthy and giving them to mentally handicapped cripples! Also, open source software!

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
TO: ILB Windhammer (All Personnel)

I would like to extend my gratitude to all of you for helping to make me look good in the recent exercises.
This is clearly a shining example of your own dedication and talents and my excellent command abilities.
Anyone suggesting that it was the result of rampant cheating will be transferred to Vander's Valkyries, with immediate effect.

And a special thanks to the Windhammer Espionage Society for your diligent research.
Confodere tergo et furantur gloria boys!

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Zyrden posted:

The York is a proper spaceship :colbert:

Ah yes, the 'Unarmed Deathtrap' class! A fine candidate for 'ship full of civilians and infrastructure that gets blown up as the opening shot in a war'.
Thanks, but I'll wait on requesting space-based postings until we have ships that have things like guns. And hulls not made from tinfoil.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
The first York-II should, of course, be called the Zach.
Isn't that right, Zach?

And wow, I'm improving my skills quite quickly! Soon I'll be able to crush godless commies like nobody's business... if we ever get any warships.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Ynkling posted:

Are space stations in Aurora simply space ships without engines, or is there more finesse to it? I had a dream of a set of orbital 'Death Moonlets' which would be akin to anti-missile PDCs, but impervious to land assaults. Is this doable/smart?

Ah, the 'Artemis Necklace' approach.

That begs the question: can we strap engines to asteroids and send them hurtling towards enemy planets at near-c velocities?
Or for that matter, is there any kind of system in place to support suicide ramboats?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
Okay, since we now have enough men for a SPY BRIGADE, (including me) I want to ask:
What can you actually do with espionage teams?

• Locked thread