Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Lets go U.N if possible I'd like to be a Civilian Administrator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
I'll announce my candidacy for Policy Maker as well, I have no clue how to play this game, but I promise to give it my all and gives us a great adventure!!!

Also as Civilian Administrators, do we control colonies when they are created?

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Triskelli posted:

So if you want to play as the space-commies, then you better get voting!

Nonsense, the Space Commies cannot be allowed to triumph, go down to your local recruiting station and enlist for the U.N Peace keepers:

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Wow, this game is pretty detailed, can't wait to dive in.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Look nice, I had a quick question, how exactly do you build up more industry on a planet, and is there such thing as a civilian industry and and controlled (government) industry?

A vote for Jimmy, is a vote for industry, don't let those dirty Commies outpace our industrial machine! Fuel the forge of progress and democracy by voting for Jimmy4400nav at your local polling booth!

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Based on a deep introspective thought analysis and a quick game of coin flipping,here are the five candidate's I'm voting for:

Lord Windy
Pistokemisti
Jimmy4400nav
Ynkling
Triskelli

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Lord Windy posted:

Forward to a future full of lasers and Death Stars!

Gentlemen, this is the Ion Cannon....

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Triskelli posted:

I think we are denying the existence of a far greater threat than even the Eurasian Federation can provide...

That's right.

MARTIANS

They're up there: Waiting, watching. The Viking probe said they weren't there, but that's because the cowards were hiding. I saw John Carter. I know how these despots would love nothing more that to destroy our little blue home. This is not a threat we can allow to go unabated!

That is why I, if elected, will prioritize a full scale invasion of Mars (Barsoom, in their heathen tongue). We will take their Space Modulators, turn their tripods against them and capture the city of Helium for ourselves! The little green men will be no match for the indomitable nature of the human spirit, nor the unmatched potential of the U.N! For the United Nations! For all Mankind! To Mars!

Calm, we must tame our reactionary hand, lest we become like the Red Guard of the Eurasian Federation. True Martians may be a threat, but remember, its is the moving city of Zodanga that is a threat to freedom, Helium is a bastion of progress and technology, we should ally with this great city state to wipe out Zodanga and the vile Therns who seek to subvert order!!!

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
So how can we increase industry on a planet, or is a set amount that's always there? Also are the mines automatically placed, or do we build them?

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Ynkling posted:

The level 1 military academy we have can produce these, correct? I'm sure that this will be covered in due time, but with these dense updates it might be good to get some preliminary ideas out there.

Yeah being able to crank out some good leaders would be a boon for us.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Triskelli posted:

I said no such things! A RICH WHITE MAN has resorted to mudslinging and defamation to support his campaign. Such an underhanded display is displeasing to say the least, and reveals how subversive my opponent truly is! Can you, the good people, elect such a duplicitous individual to office?

I have never attempted to hide my beliefs, nor stooped to such a level. My beliefs are solid, my faith is strong. With a backbone of moral fortitude, the United Nations will claim its rightful place once more.

I think the real hot button issue this campaign is one that we're all thinking but are too afraid to say, well never let is be said that Jimmy4400 nav is afraid to ask the tough question.

What we need to ask the candidates is what their position is on Human/Alien Marriage?

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Jaramr posted:

Also I suggest that we create a space faring :canada: ship as soon as possible, staffed entirely by Canadians.[/b]

Canadians already serve in quite a lot of U.N Positions already, just look at our brave boys from the north...

As for the rail guns and exploration, I agree that surveying our nearest bodies is quite important, I think in priority order, we should examine: The Moon, Mars and then Titan. Titan is quite far out, but its the furthest body in the solar system that can be colonized. Chances are it will have some good resources, and it will probably be near jump points, which will make it a strategic asset. Mercury and Venus may also have resources, but the infrastructure cost to establish bases there will be astronomical and gives us little net gain.

For the asteroids, we'll want to cherry pick the best ones and set up automated mines and rail gun flingers. This will require minimum manpower and give us a boon of resources. The Manpower we save can then be put to more industry and exploration.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Puistokemisti posted:

Our current goal should be securing a supply of TNEs that our industries desperately need.

The way I see it, we have two ways to do that, either restructing our conventional industry to proper TNE-equiped one or securing an extraterrestial source of them. Someone compile a report about the research requirements and cost/benefit analysis of both these scenarios, thank you very much.

Nose Goes :touches nose:

Although finding an extra terrestrial source would require us to have the research and infrastructure in place for FTL travel, and for that we'll need a TNE industry.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Lord Windy posted:

Someone else as Research and Biology (you can manufacture new species)

Holy Crap, you can make whole new species!?!

Screw enslaving other races, we can just make our own manual labor force, just like Mesa in the Honor Harrington Series.

......I mean, slavery is bad, M'kay, we totally should not enslave other races or manufacture our own slave races, M'kay.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Sounds good to me, I'll take the helm of Industry and forge a future for the United Nations!!

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
U.N Industrial Command Canidate

I agree with reserch into TNE technology, well need to get a jump on it so that we can start to use this field effeciently. I personally feel that we should start reserching those ship components also, the faster we can start manufacturing some scouts and fighters, the better.

I'll have a preliminary industrial report prepared later for my reccomendation about resource allocation.

I'm typing on my phone so I probably missed it, but do we know exacly how many TNE's we have in the stockpile?

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
For Industry what im thinking of is dividing production orders and scedules into three tiers:

Long Rang
Medium Range
Short Range

Long range projects will be ones that will take a long time to complete, either due to the quantity ordered or the massive scale of the projects.

Medium Range are projects that might take a few months to build, almost to a full year.

Short range can be finished in two, three months top.

I was thinking we should assign a percentage of resources to each one, not to make it set in stone, but so that way we'll have a balanced production schedule and we can make our build projects goal based.

I was thinking along the lines of

50% goes to Long range
35% goes to Medium Range
15% Goes to Short Range

Long range gets the lion's share since most projects that run this long will most likely just devour our resources, medium range will most likely be bulk orders of our ships of the line, while short run will probably be maintenance resources and fighters.

Again this isn't concrete or permanent, just a guideline to go by.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Lord Windy posted:

Run it how you think it should be run.

So long as you're keeping a percentage of your industry running towards building more factories and you keep a sizable portion free for orders from the rest of us you can't do much wrong.

How exactly do I set it to make more industrial capacity, it is just a slider or are there actual projects I have to build? I remember someone saying that we really don't build up our industrial capacity until we get past TNE research.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Memo from U.N Industrial Command

Its already been implied and said a couple of times, but Industrial Command think we should hold off on building projects until TNE research is complete, or perhaps only work on a couple small projects, since we'll probably want a decent stockpile to convert our industry when the change comes, and also so that we can start a couple large projects.

Industrial Command's plan is to convert the factories when the research is complete, and then build a new military academy, as well as a couple financial centers. This way we can start training to get good geological survey teams, and so that our fleet will have a good supply of crew and leaders. The financial centers will provide more production capabilities.

The Academy will be the most costly endeavor, it will take about 12 weeks to acquire the needed Duranium, with an extra three weeks to get Corbamite and Uridium. Hopefully TNE Mines can give us more material.

A couple of questions for research command. Will we be able to build asteroid mines once we research TNE? How soon can we start to scout the solar system for supplies, because to bootstrap our industry, we're going to need a lot more then we produce on Earth in one year. We have to production capabilities, what we lack is the rare materials.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

bgreman posted:

Just a quick note in case it wasn't clear: You don't need to save up the full construction cost in minerals on hand to build something. You just need enough in your stockpile to cover the amount needed for one construction cycle. If your military academy would take 140 days to build with some allocation of factories, you'd only need 1/140 of the total minerals on hand each day. This allows you to mine the materials to build with while still building.

Wait really?

U.N Industrial Command

Thanks to logistical shifts, the U.N Production and Acquisitions Subcommittee passed a resolution commissioning a finer command and control link between mineral extraction and depositories to their actual transfer to construction facilities.

Suffice to say, we can begin our projects ahead of schedule:

On January 5th, 2025, U.N Industrial Command commissioned the the construction of a training facility in San Paulo, Brazil. With the expansion of peacekeeper forces planed for the future, as well as a greater need for keen scientific minds, the U.N industrial command decided that to increase the pool of available talent for the future U.N would be a prudent long term investment. While Camp Romney in the American south west will continue to be the premier academy for years to come, this second facility will allow the well qualified individuals who couldn't make the cut for Camp Romney to develop their skill set to help better the U.N.

Furthermore, with the expectation of rapidly expanding industrial capacities and commercial enterprises, the U.N commissioned three special economic zones to be constructed in Hamburg Germany, Johannesburg South Africa and Havana, Cuba.

Build Orders:

1 Military Academy: Assigned 2400 production capacity, will be completed by this time next year.

3 Financial Centers: Assigned 480 Production Capacity, should be completed in and a half years

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
C.C UNEC
R.E: Heavy Fire Doctrine

From the perspective of Industrial Command, we agree with the analysis of the Research Department. A focus on carriers and fighters will most likely present a better long term production solution for our main battle fleets. Carrier forces tend to have better flexibility, as well as the ability to project power over a larger region, while giving us a better bang for our buck.

However, we will still most likely need ships of the line, such as battleships and battle cruisers to help break through opposing fleets that have effective anti-fighter defenses. However, more focus should be given to carrier fleets.

Industrial Command does agree with the first two steps of the Defense Committee's proposal. Development of our planetary defense gunboats should start sooner rather than later. With developed carrier capacities, we can project the gunboat's power over a larger area.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
C.C UNEC
R.E: Open Letter on Shipbuilding

Using drone, to at least scan the inner systems will probably be a good idea, we already most of the mechanics and industry in place, if we could just design a scanner drone, we can launch it from our existing Missile launch facilities. Building drones can utilize our ordinance production facilities, so that we don't have to devote as much industry into building up a new class of ship so soon.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
From U.N Industrial Command

With the advent of Trans-Newtonian Elements into our industry, necessary conversions of our industry must begin immediately in order to gain an advantage on the Eurasian Federation.

Therefore, to adjust the Industry of all U.N administrated territories, Industrial Command has mandated the following changes to Industry in the following fields:

Convert 500 CI to Mines: 10% of capacity

With the incredible physic's bending effects of TNE's, mining have become a much more efficient art. Mining of conventional materials is already increasing exponentially as TNE machinery makes extracting large loads of minerals from lodes and veins easier. TNE also allow easier mining of their compatriot elements, as machinery can be lowered deeper into the Earth and withstand the greater pressures and temperatures near the Earth's Mantle.

Convert 4000 CI to Construction Factory: 80% of Capacity

The Effect of TNE's on manufacturing has been nothing short of miraculous. Being able to subject metals and other industrial products to varying effects of gravity, various impurities found in products have been virtually eliminated. The Comms industry has also seen a boon as next-generation TNE communication devices are becoming rapidly coveted by nations and civilians.

Convert 250 CI to Fighter Factory: 5% of capacity.

While the orbital shipyards of Versailles and the former I.S.S provide for the multi-tonne space faring vessels of the U.N, various ground based factories have began to work towards building small 1-5 man vessels capable of rapid speeds. Thanks to TNE power cores, these vessels can easily achieve speeds not thought of for these ships nearly a decade ago. Already the civilian market is clamoring for these factories to manufacture air cars and other small craft for rapid transit across the planet.

Convert 250 to Fuel Refining: 5% of capacity

The energy needs for the world created a massive demand for the fuel sorium. Capable of powering large nations and vehicles with incredibly small quantities, the thirst for this fuel has seen the establishment of dozens of new refineries across U.N Territory.

I hope this is an appropriate production conversion scheduled, I figure we will want a good chunk of our mines converted pronto, but the lion's share should go to our industry to make it more powerful.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

bgreman posted:

To: UN Industrial Command
RE: Production directives

You will need to pass your directives on to Administrator Farecoal for his approval and implementation.

Also, do these instructions take into account the fact that Earth currently only has 42% or so production capacity free? Did you want to completely reassign the capacity percentages (putting the current projects on hold) or were your percentages relative to that 42% free (so Convert CI to Factory would get 80% * 42% = 33.6% of total industrial capacity?

They were relative to the 42% that is free, although once my current projects are complete, can the freed up production capacity then be assigned to the CI conversion projects?

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Lord Windy posted:

Hi Jimmy,

I really recommend, rather than building Fighter Factories which we can't use for quite awhile, that we instead build ordnance factories that we can use

Are you sure? Do you want me to split between fighters and ordinance, or do you want just ordinance, because while yes we can use fighters for a while, I'd like to have the industry in place the day we have the research, rather than build after we have the research.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Lord Windy posted:

Just Ordanance, we have to build hangers and figher engines (both 10000rp plus) before we get to build them. By that time we can spare the industry or might even have a brand new planet just for the military

Okay

Change production order: Convert 250 CI to Fighter Factory: 5% of capacity

New Order: Convert 250 CI to Ordinance Factories: 5% capacity.

All other orders remain the same

While the potential applications of fighter's were tempting to the U.N military forces, the necessary infrastructure to effectively field them was still years off, it was decided that instead the planed fighter factories should be converted to make conventional weapons for the plans larger ships of the future U.N Fleet

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

bgreman posted:

Once your other projects finish, assigning the freed-up construction capacity will bring those complete dates down (if that's what you choose to do).

Yes that is what I would like to do, in keeping with the percentages assigned earlier.

So by next year, we should be able to bring our construction time for the conversions down by a couple of years :toot:

Jimmy4400nav fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Apr 3, 2012

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

bgreman posted:

Yeah you guys are forgetting something:

How the heck did the I.S.S's slipway get to be so huge?

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
RE: Heavy Fire Doctrine

Yes vote.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
To: UNEC

Industrial Command would like inquire into the feasibility of using unmanned drone to scout the solar system for resources. While we will need a manned presence in space, sooner as preferred to later, given that we already have a missile firing system in place, would it be possible to retrofit some missiles to launch unmanned drones into space and have them scan for our needed TNEs? If it is possible it may alleviate some of the burden for scanning the various asteroids and gas giant moons in our solar system.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
To All
R.E SPERMCUBE.ORG

Industrial Command agrees with Resource Acquisition, while cool missiles would be nice, that fact that we would burn through a good chunk of our resources means that at this time, Industrial Command cannot endorse a decision to make there missile changes.

However, laser kill satellites seem to be much more economical, and can help us shoot down missiles, as well as enemy spaceships.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
To: Heads of Commercial Shipping and Military Leadership

Do you want industrial command to start creating more slipways on the existing space yards, or do you want us to hold out for a bit on that. Currently our mineral mining is going to be a bit low until our new mines can get up and running, but if you guys feel that we need more slipways, we'll defer to that judgment.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
To UNEC

While the desire to colonize the moon is commendable, we have to realize that we have finite resources right now and will for a while. We need to carefully husband our resources and expend them when we can yield a good return. Physically colonizing the moon with humans might sound fine and romantic, but given the versatility,range and speed of TNEs, we can now be a little choosier where we settle. That being said, if there area butt load of minerals on the moon, we might want to consider landing automated mass drivers and robominers on the moon, while we settle in a more hospitable location in the solar system, like Mars, Titan or even Ganymede. Setting up the infrastructure (both the actual building and the other things needed) for any manned colony in the solar system will be consuming, and we will want to make sure that the places we choose to live in are actually worth living on and will be good for us.

Tl;dr version: We don't want to lose our colonial virginity on the first rock that passes us by, we can be selective.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
RE: Moon Colonization

Looking at the numbers presented by our various subcommittee members, it looks like the colonization of the moon is a lot more feasible than previously thought. If those ship designs can be built relatively quickly, then a rapid colonization effort of Luna could commence.

That being said, what would we like the colony to focus on if we choose to build it there? If the moon turns out to be mineral deficient, then do we want it to focus on manufacturing jobs, commercial jobs, transit job? Do we want it to become our ships yards?

Really since Luna would be our first off world colony, we might want to spitball ideas and get a better proof of concept for future colonial models.

Jimmy4400nav fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Apr 10, 2012

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
C.C Next Research Project

Industrial command agrees with the recommendation of The Director of Defense Lord Windy. Having nice instillation, ships and weapons is kind of moot if we can't see what is coming or what we're aiming at. Battlefield information and awareness is critical for success, but tends to be over looked. A superior information gathering network in the field will serve as both an effective coordinator of forces as well as a potent early warning system.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
C.C Mysterious Federation Contact

It's just a probe, if it was a weapon, then why deploy just one, most likely they managed to crank out a probe before us.

Don't fret, remember the commies were the first to go to space, but the good guys still won the space race.

Still, we probably will want to make sure that we still beat the commies.

For our cryonics research, can we ensure that most of our research labs are assigned to it after they are done with their current tasks. Also I propose we start cranking these drones out at our ordinance factories, they're fairly cheap, and the more we deploy, the faster we know what property is hot.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
C.C: New Production Goals

The 5% for infrastucture is good. In addition I'd like to assign an additional 5% to the ordinence factory converstions, and an additional 10% to the mine conversions. Everything else can go to the factory conversions.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
C.C Probes

Since our probes can reach Jupiter, we can probably scan Ganymede to see if we could settle it. Also Io and the other moons might have valuable minerals. We should prioritize accomplishing research in fields that will allow us to build longer range ships for more efficient scanning.

Jimmy4400nav fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Apr 13, 2012

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
RE: Research orders and Mass Drivers/Mining

Those research orders looks good, the sooner we get that awesome engine, the better.

As for the mass drivers and automated mines, I'd rather not manufacture anything more until we get more of our conversions done, especially the factory conversions. That being said, once some of our projects, like the infrastructure and financial centers are done, I might start a small project to build a couple mass drivers, but my priority has to be the conversions, we cant let the Red's get the drop on us in terms of an industry advantage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
R.E Industrial Assignment

Please assign this additional 5% to the Mine Conversion, we're still running a mineral deficit and we might run out of minerals soon. I know the moon might have stuff to mine, but for now I want to at least make sure our mineral production on Earth is as efficient as possible before we start to mine off world.

• Locked thread