Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PokeWarVeteran
Apr 3, 2012
I would like to request that I be assigned to a Civilian Administrator post.

In addition, I would like to request that we focus on getting our colonization operations going as soon as we have rudimentary defenses active.

I'd hate to be the SECOND Governor of Mars.

Also, great thread so far. I literally loaded up this game for the first time today and it just blew me away with complexity.
I mean, it only took me a few hours with Dwarf Fort to figure out how to power waterwheels with blood, but I barely got this game off the ground.
With your informative style, I may just give this game a chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeWarVeteran
Apr 3, 2012

MagicBoots posted:

1000 tons is extremely small for a ship in Aurora, for reference my standard Geosurvey scout is 1,850 tons, my standard Missile Frigate is ~10 000 tons and my standard cargo ship is 28,550 tons.

Also, can I be a scientist, preferably in Missile and Kinetic weapons? (someone needs to counter this rampant laser obsession!)

I agree! Let's get Robotech all up in here and spam missiles.

Honestly, I think we should have long-term plans for both a large missile boat (if we can devise fast enough missiles that don't require us to be point-blank with the enemy) and also a kind of missile fighter to act as a bomber. Of course, I'm just a government type, not a soldier... and I haven't even graduated from the Academy yet.

PokeWarVeteran
Apr 3, 2012
So wait... can you slap whatever you want to together and hope it works, no matter how useless it may be?
Like... making missiles with crew quarters or a "siege fleet" basically composed of terraformer ships designed to pollute the air until the population dies out?

I think my inner dorf is starting to run wild with ideas. Wish I was here to run for a Council spot.

PokeWarVeteran
Apr 3, 2012

Triskelli posted:

Keep following the thread then! We're open to suggestions, and policymakers may have to step down in the future. Plus, you could always sign up for a spot as a colony governor. I may be wrong, but I think it's up to them to implement the policies we put forward.

Already applied and added to the waiting list.

So you CAN do stuff like I suggested?

How hard would it be to alter the tolerances of the drat commies to make living on Earth difficult? How hard in comparison would it be to alter US and simultaneously terraform Earth to our new tolerance, leaving the commies out in the (proverbial and literal) cold?

PokeWarVeteran
Apr 3, 2012

Bremen posted:

Missiles aren't designed the same way as ships,

Awwwww. I wanted to suggest making meat bombs with captured commies/evil races/anything that pisses us off. Ah well, can't have everything, I guess.

quote:

Offensive terraforming is a real tactic in this game.

Awesome. I figured I wasn't the first to envision this tactic.

PokeWarVeteran
Apr 3, 2012
I would like to be considered for Minister of Foreign Affairs, in case we ever need a face to speak with our... neighbors, or anything else we could possibly find out in the dark abyss.

PokeWarVeteran
Apr 3, 2012
So how much can we reduce our need to breathe by?
Can we make it so that we don't need to breathe at all and just take vacations on lifeless asteroids or will there always be a dependency on some sort of gas intake?

Another, more sensible question: Does pollution occur, both in space and on a planet? What are the effects?

Never too early to go green!

PokeWarVeteran
Apr 3, 2012

SPERMCUBE.ORG posted:

It will do more damage to the earth than the enemy can do to us. They wouldn't dare start a war with us.

Plus the way the game works, I think, is the planet is a point, it hasn't any distinct regions. So blowing up some super bombs would theoretically just irradiate the planet. Theoretically. I haven't tested it yet. I probably should do that.

... In a meta sense, that mad logic actually works out.
In fact, how can you target an enemy city or empire on the same planet, other than attacking their military installations and mining operations?
I'm probably jumping ahead again. I should stop shooting the moon.

Now THERE'S an idea for a test subject. A mining colony on the moon...

PokeWarVeteran
Apr 3, 2012

Puistokemisti posted:

TO: Everyone

I'm not opposed of SPERMCUBE.ORG's new missile designs in principle, and the increased speed and payload would be great asset to our forces. However, I would have to point out that replacing significant numbers of our current ICBMs with the new design would consume majority of Tritanium we can mine and replacing all of our armaments would cost aprox. third of the Tritanium on Earth that we can likely mine.

And after the investment into these missiles, what shall we do when new engine technologies render them obsolite?

Which is why I propose setting these concerns aside until we can begin extraplanetary mining operations. We have a massive rock staring us in the face every night. I say we make a few holes in it and see what we find!

PokeWarVeteran
Apr 3, 2012
I'll say it again, I volunteer for the position of Minister of Foreign Relations, if such a position is needed.
If that doesn't work, I can be some kind of Chief Diplomat.

(No, I don't just want to chase hot alien tail before anyone else, why do you ask?)

PokeWarVeteran
Apr 3, 2012

Ceebees posted:

I seem to have ended up with your desired position on the military front. There might be a matching civilian agency, but as far as i'm aware, this chart lists all the diplomats currently available

(i.e., me and one unclaimed dude.)

I guess I could be that dude instead of an administrator, if there is no way civilians can be diplomats.

PokeWarVeteran
Apr 3, 2012
BLOW IT UP.
Deny all involvement after, regardless of evidence.

PokeWarVeteran
Apr 3, 2012

cokerpilot posted:

*Transcript from the inside of A missile base located somewhere off the eastern coast of the United States.*

"Feds are totally loving with us. They don't mean a drat thing by this. My money's on them just trying out their fancy new ship tech while using it to give themselves a PR boast to their public."

I somewhat agree. This is probably proof of concept, a field test to see what they're capable of.
Sure, they've made history by being the first to go beyond our moon. However, history is written by the victors...

Also, even if we aren't colonizing the moon first, I'd like to ensure we're the first to live on Mars. With proper terraforming, it can be just as productive as Earth!

PokeWarVeteran
Apr 3, 2012

Lord Windy posted:

FROM: The Desk of Lord Windy, Director of Defence and Procurement
TO: Everyone
RE: Colonization

This is not my department, I know, but I do not think we should bother just yet with colonisation.

Once we have a proper survey of the system out, THEN we can look at claiming our choicy parts, and by then we will have access to Naval vessels capable of holding territory. Besides, we don't even know if the Moon even has minerals, it could just be a barren rock that we would be responsible for maintaining and defending.

It's just a PR stunt, don't let it get in your grills. We didn't waste our shipyard in building a useless ship and we aren't going to.

Hence I said we should be the first to Mars, not the moon.
Odds are, even if we race, they'll beat us there. If we focus on superior ships (including engines) now, we'll be able to beat them there, even if they launch before us!

What techs are required to colonize planets, though?

PokeWarVeteran
Apr 3, 2012

Lord Windy posted:

I rather like it. Earth has immense cultural, emotional, and economical significance for both factions. Risking it in a war that could end humanity would be wasteful AND tragic. Even though those Reds are against everything we stand for... We're still one species, one race. We'll see if they want to cooperate.

(Also, this gives us a really interesting metagame situation: Who can master diplomacy or economics enough to force the other side to their knees without firing a single shot on Earth? I think the only military way to defeat them would be to dominate the rest of space to the point where we can break the treaty and level every gun at them we can.)

PokeWarVeteran
Apr 3, 2012

SPERMCUBE.ORG posted:

CO of the 57th LTA "Think Tanks"
TO: Director of Defence and Procurement
RE: The Proposed Earth System Neutrality Treaty

There are those who would accuse me of being a warmonger but I like the intentions of this proposal. But you may have noticed that relations between the UN and the Federation aren't exactly stellar ('cause space, get it?) right now. The total demilitarization of the Earth-Moon system might be a little too ambitious for the moment. What if we scaled back a bit and instead limited the total megatonnage for the strategic weapons stockpiles for each side? Our old ICBMs are going to be obsolete soon and so will the enemy's so we'll both be replacing them anyhow. This might be an easier agreement for both sides to make and it can still ensure the earth's continued non-radioactivity.

Of course that sort of thing is hard to make happen when we have no diplomatic contact with the Federation.

Perhaps, as a compromise, we just get them to agree to the creation of no more weaponized missiles, as the old ones won't be useful forever with all the options TNEs are offering us. I bet that we'll be able to harmlessly shoot down pretty much any current missile within a few short years, at which point we can call for disarmament.

PokeWarVeteran
Apr 3, 2012
I say we get some colonists on the moon before the Federation does.
They may have been the first to court the wild woman that is Outer Space, but we will be the first to strip her bare and... live on her... or something!

That sounded better in my head.

PokeWarVeteran
Apr 3, 2012

Mikl posted:

TO: UNEC, R&D
Time: 1104

Please disregard the previous message, I don't know what came into me. I remember taking some painkillers and going to bed, and then everything's a blur until I woke up this morning with a splitting headache.

Seeing the current developments, I think our priorities at the moment should be the following:

1. Establish diplomatic relationships with the Federation, if possible (wouldn't want a war to break out now, would we?);
2. Get to the Moon and possibly establish a long-term colony (complete with TNE mining operations) there;
3. Develop our space-faring capabilities to travel beyond the Moon;
4. Space weapons!

See, this is what I was thinking too, but everyone who is actually in charge seems to want to start a landwar, or even worse, a missile war.

I'm still in favor of the demilitarized homeworld idea.

PokeWarVeteran
Apr 3, 2012

MagicBoots posted:

What is with this obsession with colonizing the moon? We don't even know if there is anything there worth mining, for all we know it's a barren rock!

Well, we'd have more room for civilians. More civilians means more workers. More workers means more cash flow AND more industrial capability.

Also, it's a PRIDE thing. Shut those commie bastards RIGHT up when they can look up and see the lights of Giant's Leap (coining that name now) shining above them from Luna. Better than any propaganda campaign, I'd say.

PokeWarVeteran
Apr 3, 2012

SPERMCUBE.ORG posted:

You'll forgive me but a person in my position has to wonder if this myth that Lunar colonization is an expensive and taxing affair might not be a sophisticated Federation propaganda campaign to prevent us from leapfrogging them. I'm not suggesting anyone in the government or military is a Federation agent, merely a victim of the misinformation from their various intelligence agencies. A team should be assembled to consider this possibility.

In the meantime consider that 2,500 tons of infrastructure (1 unit) only takes 2 tons of duranium to produce. And we only need to build enough for the first million people to live on a colony before the market is big enough to start ordering civilian produced infrastructure from earth. I haven't seen the report on earth's economy (because it's boring) but I'd guess that our civilian industry is making more than 5,000 units a year. In tons that's somewhere around 12,000,000.

Point is infrastructure is dirt cheap. Even I could afford some and my salary is still being withheld because of that whole Missile Complex 23 thing.

This is why I'm such a proponent of colonizing the moon. Even if we don't find anything other than solid granite within the moon, with the added economy and industry it should pay for itself within a decade, at most. Even better, if there IS some kind of TNE deposits, we'll have first dibs on them, as well as people on-site who can build the structures to extract and refine it.

PokeWarVeteran
Apr 3, 2012

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Really since Luna would me our first off world colony, we might want to spitball ideas and get a better proof of concept for future colonial models.

Yes! Because it's so close to Earth (relatively speaking) we can test a lot of ideas while keeping safety close at hand.

But I seriously don't think the moon is barren of TNEs. Look at how much Earth has and we didn't even know it until a few years ago!

PokeWarVeteran
Apr 3, 2012

Bremen posted:

Just as a warning to those potential freighter designs, you might want to consider that the Earth itself is moving at 30 km/s. That design would be essentially worthless for reaching anything other than the moon.

If they really don't have any engineering spaces, I'd actually say the odds of one blowing up due to maintenance failure is fairly high.

Wait, these ships can't triangulate their destinations?

I'm pretty sure any computer past 1980 could do the math required there.

PokeWarVeteran
Apr 3, 2012
Deleted, my bad. Didn't understand the post.

PokeWarVeteran
Apr 3, 2012
Would military academies count as "military installations"? I think training facilities should be specifically addressed in the bill, to avoid misunderstandings in the future.

PokeWarVeteran
Apr 3, 2012

Lord Windy posted:

I would also like to award him a medal commemorating the event. Do we have a medal that would be suitable or should I commission a new York Medal or the like?

The image should be a giant apple.

Because he's assigned command of the first New York.

PokeWarVeteran
Apr 3, 2012
I called the name already.
Giant's Leap (or just Giant Leap).
As in "One Giant Leap for mankind"

Tranquility base has my vote if no one likes mine, though.

PokeWarVeteran
Apr 3, 2012

bgreman posted:

And you all were saying the moon was a waste of time.

PokeWarVeteran
Apr 3, 2012
... Would it be possible to make missiles that fire smaller attack missiles and even SMALLER anti-missiles?

PokeWarVeteran
Apr 3, 2012

DagPenge posted:

To: Lord Windy; UNEC

The most optimal solution from the logistics side of things, would be to have one missile size that fits both our silos and our space navy. It's easier to build and transport stuff when you don't have a different missile size, also everybody knows what a missile can do, no matter from where it's launched. Which should make it easier for our officers to calculate the odds in a battle situeration.
Also it makes it possible for PDCs to switch missiles to the navy or the other way around should the need arise.

So if it's possible to build one missile to fit all using TN elements, then I strongly recommend that we only build and use those.

I agree. We can have special classes of missile (and accompanying structure/ships) for certain jobs, such as minelayers or MOAB launchers, but most should be interchangable so we can always switch out and fire whatever we have.

PokeWarVeteran
Apr 3, 2012
You ever think that maybe we're trying to figure out too many solutions to too many problems at once?
Maybe we should expand our research facilities so we can pursue many objectives instead of just a few?

PokeWarVeteran
Apr 3, 2012

MagicBoots posted:

This is totally possible and somewhat effective if done right.

Can missiles deploy a second stage when destroyed, or is it game over when your massive carrier missile containing Robotech Missile-ception Hell gets hit by a defense laser?

PokeWarVeteran
Apr 3, 2012

Saros posted:

:words:

Should probably spoiler some things there, buddy.

PokeWarVeteran
Apr 3, 2012
So, is the type of officer put out each time completely random?

I've been waiting to graduate for a long time.

PokeWarVeteran
Apr 3, 2012

Iunnrais posted:

Just finished reading the thread so far, and I am impressed and daunted. I can't imagine handling this game as a single individual instead of a committee.

That said, I want in. A potential colony governor, perhaps?

It's probably easier as a single person, as you can set a singular goal for your entire civilization if you want. I imagine once you get used to it you can manage most things in your head or at least with minor note-keeping. Nothing worse than regular Dwarf Fortress, just different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeWarVeteran
Apr 3, 2012

redleader posted:

Fascinating LP, although it's convinced me that I'm not nearly smart enough, or have enough time, to play the game myself. Which is a pity, since these one-man massive simulation-game-things are really fascinating. Also, I loving love sci fi.

Any room for me to be a scientist? :3:

I don't know about this, guys.
His name is RED LEADER.

I'm thinking it's a spy.

• Locked thread