Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.
Enlist me in the Naval Forces!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.
TO: UNEC

Please let it be known that Missile Complex 004 will from here on out be designated "Valkyrie." The designation was chosen randomly and clearly not for any alliterative joy the CMDR gets by saying "Vander's Valkyries."

(A couple of questions: What does Training Rating mean and do personality Traits mean anything in game?)

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.

bgreman posted:

UN, 29th July 2025

CMDR Vander's constant work in the simulators has paid off, as he is now a more effective combat task force commander.

TO: All UN CMDRs

Fellow Commanders,

While I appreciate that I have been honored with this accolade, it is unnecessary. I need no more than to be at the helm of command. However, in the interest of improving the UN command as a whole, I will share some tactics that I employed that led to this accolade in a hope that such an improvement can be made by others.

• Forced drilling for a number of hours a day (much like the soldiers of old did to learn to march in formation) will imbue a sense of unity in your crew. If no space is available big enough to function as a 'yard' for such drills, either require that such drills are done in barrack halls/ individual cabins for similar periods or threaten that such drills will be performed in the vacuum of space without proper apparatii for said ventures if crew unity falters have been found to be sufficient.
  • In the event of any disruption of proper crew functioning, it is important that the crew understands their transgression: While usually caused by the actions of one or two crewmen, such errors must be suffered by the crew as a whole: Lessening of rations or available leisure time have worked. (I have petitioned for the option of using corporal punishment. While 'not allowed by the UN Charter on Human Rights' has been a common response, I think that such lame excuses will not stand given our current mission. I expect to have such clearance soon. In which case, it will be proper to distribute lashes earned by the errant crewman amongst the crew in total.
  • Allegations that the mother of the helmsmen was unchaste either currently or at the time of the conception of said helmsman had a noticeable reduction in said helmsman's non-work banter while on duty.
  • Asserting that the fathers of the helmsmen are infertile or otherwise incapable of reproduction --thus necessitating that said helmsmen is a bastard child-- has a similar effect.
  • It is important to not give positive praise or rewards to your crewmen. As sweets make the child fat, so will rewards make the crew lazy. A successful task completed is all the praise that a crewman needs.

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.
To: UNEC
Re: Missle Complex Valkyrie communications error

Gentlemen,

The communication errors that caused a needless delay in the launch of the probes is likely the result of a training exercise carelessly left installed after my departure. You see, in an effort to streamline the process and to illuminate just what their function was, I had the launch controller's terminal replaced with only two buttons: 'LAUNCH' and 'DO NOT LAUNCH BECAUSE I LIKE TO THINK FOR MYSELF AND AM A PANSY'. If the latter button is hit, the crewman pressing it feels a moderate level of discomfort delivered by a 10 second low voltage electrical charge.

While a laudable exercise in discipline (if I do say so myself), it appears that the current commander failed to read the manual I helpfully left for his consumption. The device is located on page 2214 of volume VII. The chapter heading is 'Discipline Exercises 8: Electricity traps- Paranoia and the human psyche. If he had stuck to the study schedule I left for him, he should be well past Volume VII by now. Please make sure the current CMDR is sticking to his schedule and this won't happen again.

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.
Are the minerals of a celestial body randomized or the same for every game?

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.
I got my ship and am happy to be floating around in space in it. :colbert: No news is good news.

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.
As a quick meta/OOC aside, how did we get to our current predicament? Or rather, how did the Feds end up doing so much better than we did? The OP says the UN and Feds have the same resources at the beginning, so what did they do that gave them the advantage in the game? What did we do to try to get an advantage and why didn't it work? Do we have anything better than the Feds at this point?

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.
I'm going to Vote for Saros to keep this vote interesting.

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.

bgreman posted:

CMDR Vander wins a round of fleet maneuver exercises undertaken by 2nd Cruiser Squadron as part of their task force training.

Ah excellent! I knew that whip and stocks disciplinary actions would pay off eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.

SynthOrange posted:

Just for reference, what's the largest human ship ever built?

I, too, want to know this. I gather it's big, but how big?

• Locked thread