Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheBystander
Apr 28, 2011

Gulping Again posted:

Renton is the worst protagonist pilot. The only things that make him usable is his ace bonus and the fact that Nirvash MkV is really motherfucking powerful. If anyone OTHER than Renton used it, it would be world-ruining.

Garrod
is not counted in this despite being a protagonist because seriously, who gives a poo poo about him and his awful mech?

When support units have better attack power than your machine, you have problems.

Well, that's depressing on both counts. Renton was one of my main poo poo-wreckers in Z1, and I love Gundam X, both the unit and the show . Finding out they dropped the ball on both accounts is really unfortunate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Why all the hate for Garrod? I like him. He's cool.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Caphi posted:

Why all the hate for Garrod? I like him. He's cool.

I like him too, but his suit is pretty much the biggest middle finger Banpresto could have given him and the Gundam X fanbase.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?
He's not the greatest unit ever, but he's far from unusable. He was one of my mainstays in Z2.2 even when the moon wasn't out.

Of course, that may have had something to do with the fact that he was the first unit I fully upgraded, but...

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

He's my top ace in Z2-2 man, I know how it is. But the DX is really just a very badly designed unit.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Son Ryo posted:

He's not the greatest unit ever, but he's far from unusable. He was one of my mainstays in Z2.2 even when the moon wasn't out.

Of course, that may have had something to do with the fact that he was the first unit I fully upgraded, but...

The thing is that if you full upgraded pretty much any other unit in the game you'd get a better impact, and if you put almost any other pilot into the unit you fully upgraded you'd get a better unit. A free cast of Luck is actually overall less useful than Witz and Roybea's "+20% money + a free passive bonus" and utterly pales in comparison to Jamil's "get 9 levels of Newtype."

Poor Garrod just is screwed over by the design of the game.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Spiritus Nox posted:

Is Garrod that much worse in this game? I thought he was pretty solid in Z - not an extremely powerful mech but generally capable of keeping up with the competition, and the HASSHA!!! was always fun to use.

Garrod IS really good in Z1. I mentioned couple pages back that they seriously nerfed the DX in every single way in Z2 and removed one of it's important Niche uses (Clearing boss squads via microwave death) from gameplay since Z2 doesn't have squads.

Movie!Renton from Z2 is also a tremendous step down from TV!Renton Z1. I suspect that Banpresto wasn't any happier about Pocket full of Rainbows than most of the fans because I can't think of another reason that they made the Nirvash Spec 2 so completely terrible.

Yay... More blackbox. Caphi you really need to get the Gekkostate and ZEUTH units so we can safely do nerdy analysis.

Randomzx
Jul 26, 2007

Omnicrom posted:

Garrod IS really good in Z1. I mentioned couple pages back that they seriously nerfed the DX in every single way in Z2 and removed one of it's important Niche uses (Clearing boss squads via microwave death) from gameplay since Z2 doesn't have squads.

The Double X (along with the Gundam X) was also sort of nerfed from Alpha Gaiden with the greatly reduced AOE of the satellite cannons map attack

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Nova Eagle and Dancouga Nova share upgrades. This should make the Eagle less fragile and bring Dancouga up to the level of Super Robot we need.

Aoi learns EN Save, which will help Dancouga burn up less while throwing its Severance Cannon and Sword around. Let's also burn some points on the Resolve skill. Bumping her up 10 Will at the beginning of the fight gets her into Dancouga faster, especially with the +5 bump for being an Ace.

It's morning, and the Dancouga pilots are in jitters because they woke up in rooms that were painstaking replicas of their own rooms back home - even a cardboard box and crumpled newspaper for Sakuya.

Despite everything, they seem to have all accepted the contract. For Sakuya, this is an obvious step up from being a bum. Aoi doesn't like the idea of her memories being wiped, while Johnny is just looking for some variety. Kurara, always on the job, wants to dig into the shady Dragon's Hive's secrets.

They all have one condition, which is their privacy. They want their own spaces, and they each want to be left alone when they like. Forget working with Celestial Being, these kids can barely work with each other. What did they expect, though?

As the conversation moves from negotiations to briefing, or more accurately "what the hell is going on," Tanaka brings in "WILL", an entity that serves as Dragon Hive's mother computer, to supply some answers.

So, Dancouga Nova. According to WILL, it's designed and operated to waste any resources being put towards any kind of conflict or terrorism by supporting the loser and equalizing the playing field, no matter who thinks who is right or wrong. Apparently, this is pretty much what journalist Isabelle Cronkite wrote in her award-winning "Does War Need Dancouga?" introducing one of Nova's few subplots.

So Kurara asks again, why them? Apparently, many tests were involved, but Tanaka refuses to answer what they are directly. Kurara figures she can find out on her own, so next question: why work with Celestial Being yesterday? Oh, but it's not just yesterday. CB is shacking up with Dragon's Hive in the long-run, and the base's stealth will just have to protect its staff as well as the terrorists they're not associated with.

Well, the team is resolved to work with Celestial Being whether they like it or not - and that goes for Dancouga too - but Aoi is still concerned that Dancouga's operations go against Celestial Being's goal of ending war. Maybe, but by WILL's calculations, if you look at it in the sense that it's Celestial Being against the whole world, there's really nothing to do but support the weaker side - Celestial Being. Again, the individual sides' goals and whether they're right or wrong don't figure into it.

Celestial Being is actually docked in the Hive right now, so for a transition, the Dancouga team decides to go say hi... though they can't promise to be friendly.

In the hangar, Ian Vasti is finishing up on the Gundams' maintenance. He's the only one here he's willing to trust near those GN Drives. Seimi scoffs that suits her fine, since Dancouga is all she has time for. Anyway, a package has come in for Setsuna - a new GN Blade. Stack that onto (deep breath) the GN Sword, the first GN Blade, the beam sabers, and the beam daggers, and it's pretty easy to see why Exia was codenamed the Gundam Seven Swords.

Setsuna stalks off. Ian is quite insulted, but the other Meisters point out that he was thankful in his own way - he was headed to see the new Exia, after all.

They're all fond of their Gundams, but Setsuna takes it to another level. For Crowe, the Blaster is his partner and his livelihood, not to mention, if he doesn't take care of it, there's another huge pile of debt hanging over him. So he's pretty attached to it himself.

Tieria and Ian plot in whispers to find a chance to inspect the mystery machine.

Seems in each timeline, Crowe grabs a part-time job from someone to supplement his salary from Traia. This time, he's helping Celestial Being out with repairs for extra pay.

The Dancouga team arrives, and this is probably the first time the two terrorist squads have ever been face to face. They briefly introduce themselves. Crowe asks what they're getting compensated for their fighting, and while we don't get to hear the answer, he's blown away by the figure.

The Dancouga team is about to leave, but the Meisters stop and ask if they shouldn't be angrier about Celestial Being's moves. Again the four find something in common: they don't really care. "There aren't any good guys in war, so we can't call you good or bad guys anyway." Crowe finds them pretty dry, but that's better out on the field than soppy wet.

Sumeragi wanted to introduce herself too. She has a couple of pieces of news: Liu-Min is out in Area 11 doing her day job (while gathering information), and more importantly, the next mission is in and it takes place in Ezemistan. That's a little country in central Asia under the rule of the HRL. For over ten years, it's been wracked by conflict between the HRL and a rebellion, and now that the war is heating up, it's time for Celestial Being to fly in and pop it.

Chapter 6: Towards A Faraway Peace
(Celestial Being route)

We arrive in the middle of a pitched battle between the HRL soldiers and the rebel machines.

Celestial Being + Team D (as Tanaka is calling the Dancouga pilots, it stands for Dancouga - though the little girl reassuringly adds that it can also mean "Dangerous") arrive. They take a moment to lament the senseless waste - there's no point earning your freedom if you destroy all your homes in the process.

Before the lamentations can go on too long, though, it becomes clear that both enemy armies are gunning for Celestial Being! This will be the first three-way battle in the game, and I'll have a couple things to say about that.

As usual, Setsuna butts in. Eager to try out his new weapons, it seems. (I was going to try to fix this image, but it's evidence of such accidental frame-perfect timing that I'm just going to leave it.)

Kill all enemies, do it in three turns for bonuses, don't die, blah blah.

In this chapter, the two opposing sides are simply enemies that will attack each other, but occasionally in the future, a genuine neutral party or a "side 3" will make a difference. Oh, enemy units opposed to each other can kill each other, and that'll deny me the rewards for their destruction. Oh well.

Setsuna's new toy is called the Seven Swords Combination, a single attack using all of his blades.

As promised, Aoi's Will starts at 115. That's enough to use...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7ncslOWqqU
that VBM charge attack on the nearest HRL mecha.

Allelujah starts off the CB assault by reaching as far as he can.

Lockon follows up by moving in.

Tieria takes the HRL side instead.

He misses...

But absorbs the enemy attack.

Crowe flies further into the HRL side.

And qualifies for a double attack!

I've got nothing against you guys personally, but I can't stand war.
Turn your hate on us and this war. That way, if you get out of this alive, you'll never pick up a gun again.

I really like Attack Again.

Anyway, Setsuna, already in an advance position, dives deep into the battle.

By the way, Crowe's right. Axios are everywhere.

At the end of the first turn, it's pretty clear we're about to see some NPC-on-NPC action.

In a bit. First, the nearer targets go.

Okay, now.

It's fairly clear that the HRL has better mecha overall, while the rebels are pretty much depending on their giant Genocidrons.

A lot of enemy phases in this game are boring, but the monsterbating ones are the worst.

This one isn't even fair.

Finally, back to me.

Even the HRL's better Tieren can't penetrate Virtue's barrier right now.

Tieria does a boatload in exchange.

And back to the computer.

Screw it, I'm just going to point out when enemy units die.

Which happens to the rebellion units a lot. Wow.

In fact, by the beginning of turn 2, the rebellion is nearly quashed. In the next couple of turns, I pretty much just have to clean out the HRL and then wipe out a couple of Genocidrons.

That reminds me. This thing is the other kind of Genocidron, dubbed the Genocidron Landship. It appears to be a carrier that rears up into a giant snake type thing, which seems like a very unproductive thing to do to your land carrier, but I guess that's why I don't design mobile weapons for terrorists.

As an opener, we'll send Allelujah to harry that one a bit.

Behind him, Aoi weakens an HRL mecha...

(and gets hit herself, but the Nova Eagle's armor isn't bad and has only been upgraded)

which enables Lockon and Tieria, who are slower and less main-charactery and therefore lower level, to reap some kills.

Crowe does what he does best, but takes a bit of a hit in the process.

Setsuna tries to gun down the remaining Tieren, but just misses the mark.

I'm expecting that Axio to go down pretty quickly, which means the second Genocidron is about to get engaged.

This enemy turn and one full turn afterwards are what I have left to clean out all these enemies.

This Axio...

Survived!

But not for long.

Holy poo poo that Axio is a hero of the revolution.

Anyway, enough enemies.

Oh my god this Axio wants to be a real hero! (This is good, actually. If it finishes off the last HRL unit on the board, the second Genocidron will advance towards my forces and let me bring more attacks against it.)

Son of a bitch! Good-bye, heroic Axio. You fought well.

Genocidron 1 humors me and attacks Allelujah.

Genocidron 2 attacks the HRL. Why'd you have to die on me, Ace Axio?

And it doesn't even have the courtesy to hit.

The good news is that it's my turn and I have a fair shot at clearing the board.

Virtue is too far away to be any good as damage. Dynames is too far away to focus on the second Genocidron, but pretty much everyone else can reach him.

Lockon's Ace bonus is fantastic, by the way.

As he gets to level 7, his Haro learns the Focus spirit, which can be pretty useful keeping Dynames alive. He can't use it as a staple like, say, Setsuna or Crowe, because Haro has a terrible SP pool and a very expensive Focus Spirit, but it'll help on occasion.

With the destruction of Landship 1, Setsuna has enough Will to trigger Chain Actions.

Say, by finishing off that little ball of metal.

120 is not only the threshold for getting another turn, but for using that turn on his sweet new attack. Just need to lay some groundwork.

drat it, Aoi, what's the matter with your pilot suit? :sigh:

Maybe less groundwork than I thought?

Dancouga is pretty tough.

One more to be safe.

And now for the finish:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAf08KkixO4
Seven swords. Count them.

The SR Point is over...

But the chapter is not. Looks like the HRL knew Celestial Being was coming and prepared a surprise.

The surprise's commander is Sergei Smirnov. Celestial Being is determined to stay and finish the job. Aoi decides to stick around too, and the rest of Team D agrees to stick by her one by one.

At this point, the win condition is simply to destroy the Tieren High Speed B, Sergei's machine. The rest are optional.

The only playable units left this turn are the Blaster and the Virtue.

Crowe hangs back and shoots. I don't want him to get swarmed too much.

Maybe Tieria can take some heat off of him by presenting a (hard-to-damage) target. He Attunes himself first so he can counterattack effectively.

This piece of work is the head of a Tieren Long-Range Artillery, an HRL sniper machine that causes pain for any unit that can't counter at long distances, to the tune of 9 squares.

The little guys go quickly.

See what I meant about long range?

So long that Crowe, whose longest range is the 7-square Clutch Sniper, can't even counter and is forced to defend or evade (the enemy can't hit him either way, which is nice).

Finally, countering Crowe rips a series of holes in the squad of Tieren Infantry Sergei brought with him.

Sergei himself holds position.

Now that I've got control again, let's talk about the enemies.

The Tieren Long-Range Artillery is lives on shooting from where its enemies can't reach it. It's not very strong otherwise, and is completely helpless if I (or its enemy) closes to an adjacent square.

Sergei's Tieren High Speed B Command (whew!) is just a Tieren Infantry, but slightly better in every way - faster, stronger, better weapons, and so on.

That said, Sergei himself is miles above his subordinates. His much higher stats are just the beginning. While the mooks don't have any skills at all, Sergei has Prevail L4 to make him stronger at low health, Predict and Guard to boost his defenses at high Will, and the Command L3 skill, which does this:

Command is a nice skill that, in this game, cannot be learned or upgraded with PP, only by leveling specific pilots. It projects an aura around the commander, seen here, which increases the hit and dodge rates of every allied unit inside the field, and the bonus increases the higher the commander's skill level is and the closer to the commander that unit is. We'll be getting commanders of our own in the near future.

(It's a nice touch that Sergei also has way more SP than his subordinates, even though that doesn't do anything for enemies.)

While the other four advance...

Tieria and Crowe use their Hit & Away skills to tag enemies and then regroup.

Crowe in particular is finally in trouble.

While both remaining what're-they-calleds, the little ones, just give chase, all but one of the cannon Tieren find themselves without targets in range.

Meanwhile, Tieria tears through the Tieren Infantry.

Sergei again chooses not to move.

Celestial Being finishes off the, um, mecha-tribbles.

Setsuna spends his other turn engaging Sergei.

So the Gundams have allied with Dancouga.
It was good I made sure with my own eyes. Now show me your dedication to ending war!

Setsuna counters.

Haven't seen a named enemy with a cutin and everything for a while. He even gets his own dialogue.

Setsuna starts counter-weakening all the snipers (one goes for Dancouga). They turn out to be none too accurate or powerful.

Finally, his accuracy boosted by Setsuna having to dodge cannon fire, Sergei makes his move.

It is not a very effective one.

Time to actually take out Sergei.

Taking a risk, Crowe is first up, charging in with the Eagle.

Luckily, it pays off.

Tieria goes next, using Attune.

He uses his most powerful attack from outside Sergei's range.

Last is the out-of-SP Setsuna.

He finishes off a cannon mech for a quick Will boost, since he'll get a second turn from it.

This is as good as it gets against Prevail L4 and about 15% HP, I guess. At least Sergei doesn't have his Predict on, because his Will isn't high enough.

Anyway, it works.

So Setsuna grabs Sergei's dropped item: an E-Carbon Armor, which raises the equipped machine's armor and HP by a bit.

Sergei retreats, taking his remaining Tierens with him. The battle is officially over.

Afterwards, we're over to Liu-Min talking to Alejandro Corner, who is asking her if she's "made contact with them". No one can actually name anything in this game! And tomorrow he's meeting with the empress of Azadistan. He's a busy man, and he's only going to get busier if he gets to be an ambassador to the UN.

He sees her off saying that he's eagerly awaiting Celestial Being's next move. His assistant, Ribbons (seriously? even for Gundam...), can't believe a famous personality like her is a Celestial Being agent. Alejandro himself is a Celestial Being "observer", meaning his job isn't to act, just watch out for the others. "Even if they're heading to their doom," he adds menacingly.

Back at Dragon's Hive, Crowe and Sumeragi banter about pay (what else does Crowe talk about?). Tanaka's relationship with the team is less convivial - they can't even trust his compliments. Saying he has to tell his superiors how well they did only reminds Team D that they have no clue who the Dragon's Hive's real commander is. Even Sumeragi has only spoken to him over comms, but never seen the man's face. Tieria recalls that this is a man who built Dancouga, founded the likes of Dragon's Hive, and even managed to contact Veda directly.

Meanwhile, Team D isn't quite as into the idea of playing whack-a-mole with political conflicts until they finally stop, however many years that may take, as the Meisters are. Setsuna, righteously offended by Aoi's comments to that effect, stomps off yet again.

Immediately after, the remaining soldiers get into one of those conversations about alternate routes, specifically the last stop on our journey, Area 11. The short version is that Clovis la Britannia has been murdered, and terrorists believed to be Japanese from the Shinjuku ghetto are crawling all over the zone, aided by the five Colony Gundams. The rest is material for the next path, but the takeaway is that Sumeragi has sent an agent out there to scope it out more closely.

Speaking of Area 11, Graham's team is chatting about the HRL's defeat at Ezemistan at the hands of the Gundam/Dancouga teamup. Daryl is doubtful that their Flags can take on the Gundams in the first place, while Howard has faith in the robots. Graham's plan is simply to push the Flags are far as they can go and hope that's enough.

Professor Eifman is heartened by that attitude. He can tell (it isn't obvious?) that the Gundam's might comes from the sparkle emitter on its back, a piece of technology decades ahead of its time. Such a shame it should be used on other humans at a time like this. We have to deal with the Damons, the Image, and even what appear to be aliens from outer space (which we know to be the Gishin).

Graham gets a call, and it appears to be some kind of shocking news about Ezemistan!

Over in Area 11, reporter Kinue Crossroad is ditching her brother Saji to go chasing the Clovis assassination scoop.

At least Saji's girlfriend Louise Halevy is around. She's studying abroad from Spain, but wants to stay with Saji - and besides, the AEU and the Union haven't started any open conflict. Kinue fills them both in on the hush-hush happenings over in Ezemistan. Apparently Celestial Being had a real effect. The conflict that's been burning ever since the big dimension quake is cooling down and the door is open to a peaceful resolution. Not bad.

Anyway, Kinue's in a rush. She warns Louise that she's free to eat at the Crossroads' apartment, but not to stay overnight. After she leaves, Saji and Louise talk some more about the goings-on in the third path split. Saji is pretty nervous about the whole thing, and tells Louise to go back to Spain after all. In a school that ostracized him for being part-Eleven, Louise was the one who reached out to him, and he doesn't want her to be in danger. Louise starts about how now, of all times, they should be together...

But at just the wrong moment, Setsuna charges through, and it turns out he's moving into the apartment right next to Saji and Kinue. WELP.

Saji tries to start a conversation, but Setsuna just shortly gives his name and walks off. This kid...

See you next chapter.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Caphi posted:

drat it, Aoi, what's the matter with your pilot suit?

Standard Japanese Uniform Rules apply: action girls must show at least 50% cleavage or remain grounded until they do so.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I've said it before, but they really do a great job of integrating all the disparate series' in this game. They actually combine the various 'high-school' subplots from Wing, 00, and Code Geass into the same school - and where a lesser SRW might have just left it at that, having Saji take some flak for being part Japanese in a racist Brittanian school is a very nice touch.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

quote:

His assistant, Ribbons (seriously? even for Gundam...)

Oh, psh. Ribbons isn't even the dumbest name in this particular series. Not even top three.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Spiritus Nox posted:

I've said it before, but they really do a great job of integrating all the disparate series' in this game. They actually combine the various 'high-school' subplots from Wing, 00, and Code Geass into the same school - and where a lesser SRW might have just left it at that, having Saji take some flak for being part Japanese in a racist Brittanian school is a very nice touch.

There's actually a kind of goofy scene from very late in Z2.2 where Rivalz (you thought Ribbons was a bad name) and Shirley realize that most of their friends are actually secretly Giant Robot pilots and wonder if they're missing out. Since your team meets the emperor of Brittania there in a more or less formal declaration of war the levity is both refreshing and short-lived

As for Aoi's uniform hell if I know. I suspect that since Aoi is a fashion model someone on the staff of the Dragon's Hive may have been digging her in a less than wholesome way. Either that or they intentionally made it really light because as they established the Dancougar Nova bursts into flame if it operates too long.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Pureauthor posted:

Oh, psh. Ribbons isn't even the dumbest name in this particular series. Not even top three.

I think what this thread needs is definitely more enormous spoiler bars, but are you all sure it's not Reborns?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caphi posted:

I think what this thread needs is definitely more enormous spoiler bars, but are you all sure it's not Reborns?

It is 100% not. Even if you ignored everything else, the official translation is Ribbons Almark.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!

Pureauthor posted:

Oh yes, that guy...I'm not even going to spoil that name for anyone who wasn't seen the show or played Saisei Hen but it's pretty much a something. :allears:

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
I just want to take a moment to marvel at how stupid Dancouga Nova's plot is.

I mean, silly mecha anime plots are nothing new, but for some reason this is the only show where it actually makes me kind of mad.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dancouga Nova handles it pretty awfully, yeah, but the basic premise (which is all we're really getting in SRWZ2) isn't really any stupider than 00. How is fighting wars for the losing side any stupider than fighting to prevent both sides from fighting?

And honestly, Sakuya getting a replica of his box kinda made me laugh.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Endorph posted:

Dancouga Nova handles it pretty awfully, yeah, but the basic premise (which is all we're really getting in SRWZ2) isn't really any stupider than 00. How is fighting wars for the losing side any stupider than fighting to prevent both sides from fighting?

Well, only if you're strong enough to turn the tide all the time.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

I actually beat this game a couple of weeks ago. I just want to say that Virtue and Tieria are your best friends on later missions, due to his Ace Bonus.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Always good to see an update from this thread.

As for stupid names, Ribbons is still pretty dumb, but it loses some of its kick when in season 2 of Gundam 00 people refer to a character as Mr Bushido (or "Meestah Bushido" if you want to be phonetic) with a straight face

So here's a quick question I just thought of, they said that there was another set of pilots for Dancouga Nova before Aoi and co right? But when we saw Dancouga in earlier missions its pilot was an AI, so was that intentional misdirection or can Dancouga actually be piloted by computer?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Caphi posted:

Officially it's Ribbons Almark, but that other thing you're probably referencing that I really like is titled "Reborns". Remember this is Gundam, Char Aznable's name came in part because it sounds foreign to the Japanese.

Snot Man posted:

I just want to take a moment to marvel at how stupid Dancouga Nova's plot is.

I mean, silly mecha anime plots are nothing new, but for some reason this is the only show where it actually makes me kind of mad.

Dancougar Nova is not a good show. One of the ways you can tell is that the whole "intervening in wars to send them to a standstill" is completely dropped about halfway through. Also Dancougar spends the first portion of the show getting totally trounced by it's rival who we will soon be meeting. Also it doesn't really explain a whole lot about its setting and what's going on. My cynical theory is that they intentionally made the show incredibly light on plot and heavy on flashy action with the "intervenes in wars" thing to make it a SRW candidate. Like I said Dancougar Nova isn't a sequel to Dancougar in my mind but the SRW version of Dancougar.

Hunter Noventa posted:

I actually beat this game a couple of weeks ago. I just want to say that Virtue and Tieria are your best friends on later missions, due to his Ace Bonus.

Tieria's Ace Bonus gets really switched up in Z2.2 but it's awesome in Z2.1. Mind you the Auto-Fury would less useful in Z2.2 because the enemies you're referring to actually lose their shield for the most part in Z2.2 so they're less horrible.

Omnicrom fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jun 27, 2012

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Nothing new joined last chapter, so let's dive right into the next one.

This is the effect of the E-Carbon Armor: 500 HP and 100 Armor. Most armor parts bump both of those stats. Let's leave it on Nova for now (parts can be freely equipped and removed between missions).

At UNHQ in New York, a friendly pair of scientists Stinger and Coen are blasting a Professor Saotome's presentation as just a stunt designed to gather publicity and sponsors.

Well, Saotome was right about there being "aliens" - not the Gishin, which we know about because of Zuul's announcement, but what he calls Invaders, creatures that came to Earth riding meteors and were mutated to a large size by space radiation. Even so, Coen claims that there are only a few Invaders out there.

This man is Count Dermaille (?), the head of the Romfeller Foundation (which you may or may not remember is a rival to Axion), and the secret head of the AEU. He reminds the two scientists that they still can't predict where and when the Invaders will pop out and attack. Prince Schneizel of Britannia guesses that he wants to try to point the Invaders at the Union or the Federation.

Brian Steggmeyer, Britannia's Prime Minister, declares that Britannia will not move to aid countries outside its jurisdiction that come under attack from the Invaders, or for that matter Damons or Image. Britannia calls itself international enforcers, but they're busy with their own affairs right now. Treize Kushrinada knows what he means - Area 11 is a powder keg thanks to the rebellions and the Colony Gundams.

At last we see Elgan Roddick's face, as Brian tries to pin the responsibility on him and his Peacekeeping Council. Dermaille seconds that motion, and the eyes of the entire room are on Roddick. He replies evenly that the Peacekeeping Council's policy is to act in the interests of world peace and security, regardless of the individal powers' interests. Schneizel and Treize immediately pick up on the subtext - Roddick is amassing power and force that follows no nation, and if he obtains and chooses to use that power, he could turn the world over singlehandedly.

Not too far away, Professor Saotome is full of rage at a UN staffed by idiots that put their own greed and political gain over the defense of all humanity.

A young lady named Shioni Regis interrupts. Saotome is surprised to learn that she's actually the Minister of Foreign Affairs of the small but up-and-coming Republic of Limonasia. She wants to hear about the Invaders from the Professor's own mouth.

According to him, the Invaders are the enemy of not only all life on Earth, but in the whole universe. He's calling for all the powers of the world to join together to fight the Invaders, and if they won't, maybe the world would be better off destroyed before the Invaders even make it here, if that's what it would take to unite it to fight them.

Back at Dragon's Hive, our "heroes" are discussing the Japan path split and all the stuff that's been going on - Mechabeasts, Heterodynes, and even real live aliens. Aoi wonders if Celestial Being would fight monsters for world peace. Tieria says that Veda has been keeping an eye on Dr. Hell for years, but even his illicit funding and smuggling doesn't account for suddenly being armed with Mechabeasts. (A Mazinger clue from Celestial Being? Where did this come from?)

Sakuya makes a dig: "Guess even Veda doesn't know everything," prompting Tieria to blow up (as much as Tieria ever does, I guess), inform Team D that the only reason he's not fighting them is because of Veda's orders, and then storms out.

In a turnaround from Crowe's thoughts about the suspicion within the Crushers, this time he's the one to assure the doubtful Meisters and Team D that Setsuna and Tieria are professionals and won't let their feelings get in the way of the mission. It's good to see that putting aside Setsuna's well-known issues and Tieria's stick-in-the-mud-ness, Crowe gets along pretty well with CB.

Anyway, then they talk about the Area 11 branch some more. Actually, it's a very good story we'll be playing through, so in case anyone hasn't seen it, I'll wait to tell it until we actually get to the chapter they're talking about. But it ends in everyone echoing Saotome's sentiments: that even when humanity is in danger from literal monsters and aliens, governments are still trying to gain power and wealth for themselves.

Seimi enters claiming Sakuya has been asking for her. Sakuya says it's something important and wants to talk about it alone. He'll be waiting for her in the hangar, leaving the rest of the pilots all a-titter.

In the hangar, sentimental music and stereotypical confession dialogue is playing, but you've probably figured out how this scene ends.

He wants her to add a kickass super move to the Nova Rhino, which currently turns into a useless weight when it becomes part of Dancouga Nova. She gets mad and tries to molest him.

Chapter 7: Take Off!! Getter Robo!
(CB Route)

It's the World Liberation Front again. Looks like this is where they do their trading for all those Axios and Genocidrons. This isn't interrupting a battle between two powers, just knocking down some douchebag terrorists.

Despite everything, Sakuya is ready to pull out his new move as soon as the Nova combines.

No SR Point yet.

The board is fairly straightforward.

What the hell? The WLF has Tieren Infantry and Helions now.

For once, Setsuna doesn't rush ahead. Tieria can't attack because he's slow.

Lockon takes next.

This is Dynames' shield.

Update: Crowe is now level 10 and still only has one Spirit.

Some other attacks happen.

Tierens are fairly tough.

Turn over.

Sniping Dynames. Ha ha ha.

During the enemy phase, Setsuna takes some unlucky hits.

Let's just clear all of these guys out as quickly as possible.

Lockon and Tieria start.

I'm not burning through Focuses yet because I suspect I'll be needing the SP once the SR Point comes up.

Although it does result in some damage.

Aoi in particular has the HP to absorb some punishment, plus it'll all go away when she changes to Dancouga Nova.

And Eagle does have okay dodge.

Allelujah dodges pretty much everything. No complaints there.

Setsuna can start Focusing. He needs it, and hey, he's got four turns of it.

Finishing off this last unit before we move on to the Genocidron...

But as soon as it dies, we come under fire!

All the WLF forces are taken out by the assault.

What the hell are those?

They continue attacking. We can't retreat because there's a city behind us. Guess there's no option but to wipe them out! Tieria is having some doubts, but the rest of the team is up for a fight, so I guess he'll have to stay. (As always, Crowe is hoping for some valuable combat data.)

We now have an SR Point: clean up all the Invaders within three turns of now.

Only Setsuna has a move left.

The Invader only has one attack, and it's fairly accurate.

We want Setsuna to hang back a little so he doesn't get swarmed, and so the distance decreases the enemy accuracy a little.

I can't get over the fact that the engine really is emitting sparkles.

Invaders are ugly.

End turn.

Looks like some of them are ignoring Setsuna. That's nice of them.

Fighting mysterious monsters is a very Super Robot thing to do.
I think we're better at this than messing with wars.
If you guys want to play the hero, we'd better win this.
Well, duh! I plan to win no matter who or what we're fighting!

You're not Damons and you're not Image. What the hell are you?
One weird thing after another. What's the matter with the world nowadays?

They're a bit more powerful than the army robots we've seen up until now, but their true danger isn't clear quite yet.

Setsuna is still safe.

Many of the Invaders are not going to attack this turn, only try to close in.

But several of them do attack, even hitting, and...

Oh, right! The Invaders' tentacle attacks drain energy from any robot they deal damage to.

Halfway through the phase, a Dimension Shock occurs, and a pack of Damons appears.

Simultaneously, the team catches reading of three jets approaching the zone.

As they come within range, they combine into a single cloaked robot! With a hearty "CHAAAANGE GETTAAAAH ONE!"

The robot is Getter Robo, and its pilots demand we stand down. The Invaders are Getter's job.

The lose condition is now the destruction of Getter alone. The good news is that for the SR Point, I still only have to take out the Invaders, not the Damons.

Oh right, it's still the enemy's turn. I guess, let's see what Getter Robo can do.

Fine place for you Invaders to be!
It's our job to crush them with Getter!
Don't underestimate them. Make sure you destroy them completely.
That's just how I like it! Burn 'em until there's not a speck left!

Nice. The Invaders are shapeshifting blobs - the ground ones transform into flying ones when attacking flying enemies, and vice versa.

Getter Robo counterattacks with its "Spiral Getter Beam." (Watch Getter Robo Armageddon. It's good.)

And now back to our show.

It's back to three-way time as the Damons start attacking the Invaders.

And taking them out. The Damons know how to pick their battles - they seem to be targeting wounded Invaders.

Anyway, let's meet the new robot. Fun factoid: when Crowe was talking to the Crushers about this route, one of the things he said was that reports vary on whether Celestial Being was travelling with one new robot or three. So maybe I should say let's meet the three new robots. Get comfortable.

Getter-2 (Hayato Jin, Musashi Tomoe, Ryoma Nagare)
Skills
Prevail L3
Predict
Counter L6
Spirits
(Hayato)
Mercy
Alert
(Musashi)
Guts
(Ryoma)
Vigor
Strike
Traits
Getter Vision
Transform
Weapons
Drill Missile (4 Ammo, Pierce Barriers)
Drill Storm (10 EN)
Drill Arm (30 EN, Pierce Barriers)
Ace Bonus: Trigger rate of Getter Vision-like traits increased by +20%.

I'm saving Getter 1.

Hayato favors speed and finesse over brute force. His Getter-2 is a swift runner, and its Getter Vision trait kicks in at 130 Will (it's a common number, so get used to it) and cancels all incoming attacks a flat 50% of the time, make that 70% with his Ace Bonus. Also, check out that drill.

Getter-2 has another, hidden almost-unique feature. On land maps, it can burrow underground. This lets it ignore some terrain and be completely untargetable by enemies until it surfaces again.

Its main weaknesses are its low running time and inability to hit flying enemies effectively.

Oh yeah, and the Mercy Spirit only works if an enemy has a lower Skill than the user, but makes sure that enemy survives an attack with 10 HP if it works. It's occasionally useful.

Getter-3 (Musashi Tomoe, Ryoma Nagare, Hayato Jin)
Skills
Prevail L8
Will+ (Damage)
Defensive Support L1
Spirits
(Musashi)
Guts
(Ryoma)
Vigor
Strike
(Hayato)
Mercy
Alert
Traits
Transform
Weapons
Machine Cannon (8 Ammo)
Getter Arm (10 EN)
Getter Missile (4 Ammo)
Avalanche-Roars-Down-The-Mountain (40 EN, 110 Will)
Ace Bonus: The "Spirit" Spirit is replaced by "Drive."

Getter Robo is legitimately three robots in one. It's a single unit with three forms, but unlike a normal transformer like Wing Gundam or Gundam Kyrios, each form of Getter Robo has its own main pilot who uses his own skills while sharing the Spirit pools of the other two.

Where Getter-2 was an unhittable speed demon, Getter-3 is an immovable wall. It's supposed to be the aquatic Getter but screw that. Musashi's outrageous natural Prevail and ability to gain Will by taking hits, plus the machine's naturally high armor (not Mazinger high, but oh well), make it seriously hard to kill. Its Defensive Support is a little hard to trigger, though, considering that it's landbound.

Spirits: Atlus did a great job on SRWOG, but who named a Spirit command Spirit? Anyway, Spirit raises a pilot's Will by 10 points, but for Getter, that applies to all pilots on the machine. Musashi's Ace Bonus (the only one among the Getter team to be useful outside Musashi's Getter Robo) upgrades it to Drive, which raises the pilots' will by 30 points instead, at the same SP cost as Spirit. With enough ranks in SP Up - 760 PP's worth should do the trick - Musashi can make the entire Getter Team start every chapter at 130+ Will before you can say "Getter Change!" with no one's SP pool the wiser.

Getter-3 is slow as hell, has range and anti-air issues, and runs out of ammo fairly quickly, especially on the counter.

Getter-1 (Ryoma Nagare, Hayato Jin, Musashi Tomoe)
Skills
Prevail L7
Break Will Limit
Will+ (Destroy)
Spirits
(Ryoma)
Vigor
Strike
(Hayato)
Mercy
Alert
(Musashi)
Guts
Traits
Transform
Weapons
Tomahawk Boomerang (4 Ammo)
Getter Machine Gun (6 Ammo)
Getter Tomahawk (10 EN)
Spiral Getter Beam (30 EN)
Getter Beam (50 EN)
Ace Bonus: Deals 1.3x damage above 150 Will.

You like burning through EN, right?

Getter-1 is the main Getter form, and you'd think it would be a balance between Getter-2's speed and Getter-3's defense. Well, you'd be wrong. Getter-1's job is doing damage. Lots and lots of damage.

Ryoma is the first pilot we've seen (I think?) to have the Break Will Limit skill, which lets him, ah, break Will limits. Normally Will caps out at 150; the skill raises that cap to 170. (Another fun factoid: in the Restoration chapter of this game, Ryoma's Ace Bonus triggers at 170 Will.)

Anyway, it's the second of three turns to exterminate the Invaders, and the field is a little chaotic.

Oh, um, Invaders don't have only one attack. I just rarely see them use the other one.

Setsuna opens up a spot...

so that Tieria can move in and stand ready with his Defensive Support in case something does threaten to hit his weakened Exia. The Invader's attacks do both HP and EN damage, and Exia likes its EN.

Allelujah weakens another Invader.

Again: like Godmars, Dancouga Nova comes in fresh no matter how beat up and drained the Eagle is.

Hey, there's something new on the weapons display. Did Dancouga Nova get a new weapon?
Miss Seimi built it last night! It's called the Boost Nova Knuckle!
Is that what all that was about?
Well, I sure paid for it.
A new weapon? We'll have to give it a spin.
Let me pull the trigger! I'll give it a good solid yell!

But it only has two shots. I guess it's a good way to avoid having to fire the Cannon all the time.

Using Accelerate, Aoi charges in to back up Ryoma.

drat it, Energy drain!

At level 8, Sakuya learns Invincible.

Hayato will take point for the Getter Team. EN is precious for the super robots right now, and Drill Storm will burn it slower than the Spiral Getter Beam.

With just a few turns on the clock, he may as well burn SP on Alert to take a couple less energy-sucking hits.

Getter-2 is an oldschool drill-wielding robot. Don't expect Getter to follow physics; its machines shapeshift like nobody's business and it generates weapons out of nowhere.

Lockon's Haro can barely cast Focus once, but this is probably a good time for it.

Crowe chews through enemies as always.

The last action of the turn goes to Setsuna.

Time for countering.

The Invaders have a hard time hitting Tieria between his Block and the Virtue's shield.

Some of the Invaders are ignoring me to actively go attack the Damons. Assholes.

Enemy phases are often boring...

Oh yeah, I guess this is the Invader's non-tentacle attack.

Hayato is having issues, but it's okay; if he can survive the turn, Musashi's Guts will patch the Getter right back up.

Also, Invaders explode into eyes and guts.

Invader turn over, I guess. The Damons take one out for me.

Damons attacking.

Damons charging.

My turn, finally.

There's only one Invader left. I guess I should go take out some Damons before I put it out of its misery.

Offensive Supports are good.

Especially Crowe's.

I mean, he doesn't really need his kill count driven up, but who cares?

Haven't seen these guys for a while. Dealing with Damons is my job.
Let's roll, partner. This is your time to shine!

tl;dr they all die.

Anyway, since it's the end of the chapter (I hope?), I can't not show off Getter Robo's signature and currently most powerful attack.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iv7Ls4v96EE
It's oldschool, but very effective.

Invaders exterminated! There was a Damon I didn't get to, but it left.

Crowe again notices that the Damons are getting stronger compared to the data he already has on them.

Meanwhile, Celestial Being is glaring at the Getter Team.

Ryoma is ready for a faceoff, but Hayato reminds him that Saotome wouldn't like it if they picked a fight with Celestial Being. See, the Getter Team has a message to Celestial Being from Saotome: "Use the Getter to destroy the world."

They take the Getter Team back to Dragon's Hive, where Tanaka says his mysterious superior has given them the go-ahead. Veda, likewise, has approved the teamup. The Getter pilots don't care much to take on the world themselves, but it's the Professor's orders.

Team D demands that Tanaka explain why Dragon's Hive approached the Getter Team. But that explanation will have to start with Professor Saotome himself. His area of research is "Getter Rays," a mysterious form of cosmic radiation that powers the Getter Robo.

Saotome became a recluse during the course of his Getter radiation research, but soon discovered that the Earth was in peril from the Invaders. They came from space out of nowhere and attacked the Earth for reasons no one can explain. They are ruthless and can't be communicated with, so humanity can only fight them to survive. This reminds everyone, of course, of the Damons and Image, also mysterious and inscrutable monsters that attack at random.

Anyway, Saotome brought his findings to the UN, but was thrown out as a quack - even his fellow scientists refuted him. The UN will admit the existence of the Invaders, but only as a phenomenon of sorts, not a legitimate enemy. So they've dumped the whole matter on the International Peacekeeping Council, which is really just a construct of lip service.

And so, the Professor went and picked (and kidnapped) some strong-willed men to pilot the Getter Robo. It sounds a lot like Team D, they guess, but piloting Getter Robo is right up these crazy assholes' alley. Well, it's good to enjoy your work.

At the same time, Dragon's Hive got wind of Saotome's findings and contacted him, and Saotome agreed to lend them his robot and fighters. Not only to fight the Invaders, but to "destroy the world." By that, they mean to cause something enormous that will force the nations to wake up and realize what's at stake. Celestial Being sounded like a good vector to make that happen, so Saotome sent his super robot to help.

The Meisters are actually on board with this. At least, Lockon and Allelujah kind of see the reasoning. Tieria is still sticking to his line that "if Veda allows it, I will obey." The bottom line of all this is that like Dancouga and Crowe, Getter Robo is now operating under Celestial Being's orders. Even so, Saotome's plan sounds nuts and his selected pilots sound even more so. The world may be on the verge of a storm, but so is Celestial Being itself if it keeps teaming up with crazy people.

See you next chapter.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Battle Moon Wars english patch called the +10 Will spirit "Will", If I recall correctly, which is at least a somewhat less confusing name than Spirit.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Ladies and gentlemen, we've had our first "GETTA BEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAMU!" This is now a real Super Robot Wars!

I remember wondering at first why Getter Robo got introduced on the CB path rather than Japan's, but after finding out about the 'destroy the world' angle from the new show, that does make quite a bit more sense.

Looking forward to Area 11 in a couple of missions - I'm in the process of watching through Code Geass right now, and while I've heard it goes kind of batshit in the second season, I've been loving the first half. A clever take on the usual mecha show archetypes and a massive flair for the dramatic make it lots of fun to watch, plus this game gives it some cool and relatively subtle interactions with other series, Wing and Votoms among them.

On the other hand, this first Area 11 route doesn't exactly give you as many powerful robots as CB or the other Japan, so it's a bit of a trade off.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Spiritus Nox posted:

Ladies and gentlemen, we've had our first "GETTA BEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAMU!" This is now a real Super Robot Wars!

I remember wondering at first why Getter Robo got introduced on the CB path rather than Japan's, but after finding out about the 'destroy the world' angle from the new show, that does make quite a bit more sense.

You know the cool part? That's actually not from the show. The plot of Armageddon actually starts late in the game. Saotome's motivation here sort of fits the show but was otherwise made up (or maybe imported from another Getter series).

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Spiritus Nox posted:

Looking forward to Area 11 in a couple of missions - I'm in the process of watching through Code Geass right now, and while I've heard it goes kind of batshit in the second season, I've been loving the first half.
The second season had some production issues that kind of show in the series, and it loses itself in a couple of places, but there's one magnificent and incredibly vital thing it never loses.

Jun Fukuyama hamming it the gently caress up.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

^I'm watching the dub, who's Fukuyama play? That said, the dub is pretty drat good too IMO particularly since it features Johnny Young Bosch doing quite well as a very different kind of character than the Hot-Blooded beat-your-face-in warrior he's usually typecast as.

Caphi posted:

You know the cool part? That's actually not from the show. The plot of Armageddon actually starts late in the game. Saotome's motivation here sort of fits the show but was otherwise made up (or maybe imported from another Getter series).

Really? Huh. Well, that still goes to show how much more freely the writers tweaked and intertwined different shows' plotlines in this game than in the other SRWs I've played.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

^I'm watching the dub, who's Fukuyama play? That said, the dub is pretty drat good too IMO particularly since it features Johnny Young Bosch doing quite well as a very different kind of character than the Hot-Blooded beat-your-face-in warrior he's usually typecast as.

He voiced Lelouch.

Man, I absolutely hated JYB. He was completely the wrong voice for that kind of character and he just does a terrible job with it. Admittedly, I think JYB is probably one of the worst voice actors doing dubs. He's got like one voice and any time they cast him outside of something that uses that one voice he fucks it up.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

He's Lelouch's VA. I thought the dub was pretty solid, but I wound up preferring the Japanese just because of how ridiculously over-the-top his performance was.

And yeah, this game definitely does a better job of merging things together than, say, J. J clearly felt like several different series mashed together, while Z2 manages to actually seem like its own setting.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

^That's exactly the game I was thinking of as I wrote that post. J was my first SRW (being translated on an easy to emulate system and all), so I remember thinking it was cool whenever they'd have villains from different series mention or half-heartedly join forces with each other in late game. Set me up to be quite impressed when I started playing Z and watching different shows bounce all over each other.

ImpAtom posted:

He voiced Lelouch.

Man, I absolutely hated JYB. He was completely the wrong voice for that kind of character and he just does a terrible job with it. Admittedly, I think JYB is probably one of the worst voice actors doing dubs. He's got like one voice and any time they cast him outside of something that uses that one voice he fucks it up.

I thought he did pretty well, honestly. He has a tendency to flub some of the more low-key moments, but so far I've loved how he plays the hammier bits like getting his Geass and unveiling the Black Knights. Different strokes, I guess. v:shobon:v

Mind you, the only other thing I've watched much of where he has a big role is Bleach, so maybe I'm just not of sick of him as you are.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

Mind you, the only other thing I've watched much of where he has a big role is Bleach, so maybe I'm just not of sick of him as you are.

Yeah, he's done a lot. My biggest hatred for him is in Eureka 7 where he voiced Renton, and basically made me hate Eureka 7 for ages until the point where I watched it dubbed and now it's one of my favorites. He really really ruined Renton (who is, admittedly, an easy character to ruin.)

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
gently caress yes, Armageddon Getter is the best Getter.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Endorph posted:

The Battle Moon Wars english patch called the +10 Will spirit "Will", If I recall correctly, which is at least a somewhat less confusing name than Spirit.

The Japanese is "Kiai", which means "Yell". Specifically Yelling in a martial arts sense, so when an anime character yells really loudly while attacking that's a Kiai.

As for Ryouma's Ace Bonus they did modify it to need 170 Morale in Z2.2 but it may be easier to get. Z2.2 consolidated all of the Morale+ abilities into one single "Morale+Bonus" ability, you get +1 morale at any time you would build morale making it very easy to get to 170, and if that's not enough there's also one additional incredibly Rocking way to build Morale in Z2.2.

Anyways a little more about Getter Robo Armageddon AKA Shin/Change Getter Robo, to the End of the World: It's the first Getter Robo OVA and the first time Getter had been animated since the late 70s. It immediately got a lot of attention for it's inclusion of the Shin Getter Robo, a machine that appeared in the 80s Getter Robo Go manga and received a surge in popularity after it's appearances in the PSX Getter Robo Daikessen and indeed Super Robot Wars (This series is actually pretty drat influential in the genre, more on that some other time).

Armageddon is also the first time we had a Getter team that really reflected the manga, Ryouma, Hayato, and Musashi were all a lot more family friendly in the 70s series than their Manga debut as a Violent Martial Artist, Student Anarchist who rips off faces, and Dumb but tough Sumo trainee. The more violent Ryouma, Hayato, and Musashi we see here are actually fairly close to how they were depicted in the manga.

One final note: If you've seen Getter Robo Armageddon don't get your hopes up for the really crazy stuff later in the show, Z2.1 only goes up through episode 3. We WILL eventually see the title robot but it's most legendary attack and especially it's kick-rear end combination will not be in this LP.

Oh and shame on you Caphi for not showing off the surprise Sakuya had installed. Sakuya clearly has his priorities right because he managed to get his very own BOOST NOVA KNUCKLE rocket punch.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Hayato's Drill Missile cut-in is a thing of beauty.

Too bad we can't see the war against the invaders that takes place in Armageddon's prologue, but making an original SRW story for it is a fine substitute.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Omnicrom posted:

Oh and shame on you Caphi for not showing off the surprise Sakuya had installed. Sakuya clearly has his priorities right because he managed to get his very own BOOST NOVA KNUCKLE rocket punch.

I'll do it eventually. The circumstances didn't allow it this chapter. Well, maybe on a counter, but eh. Keep a list, because I owe everybody the Dai-Guard STA Drill Arm too.

I love Getter Robo in Z2 because the upgraded Getter has been in a bunch of games, notably the Alpha series and more recently W, but as simply a "better Getter" piloted by the old cartoon Getter Team. The post-Armageddon may not be in Destruction, but it's cool just to see the more serious Getter Team, not to mention the excellent Heats instead of the Getter Robo theme song (the last time Armageddon was featured in full was in D, I think). Not only that, but Z2 takes the Armageddon plot extremely seriously and even fleshes out the leadup to all the bullshit the OVA starts with, going so far as to weave Saotome, Coen and Stinger into the setting politics as we see and in Restoration, setting the post-Armageddon hellscape on Gurren-Lagann's Dark Continent.

Seriously. Armageddon in this game is a gift that keeps on giving.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
My biggest experience with Getter Robo was through Alpha Gaiden, so seeing these new (or not so new if I understand correctly) designs on the pilots is pretty awesome. Each of them looks like they want to murder someone and quite frankly I love it.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Caphi posted:

I'll do it eventually. The circumstances didn't allow it this chapter. Well, maybe on a counter, but eh. Keep a list, because I owe everybody the Dai-Guard STA Drill Arm too.

I love Getter Robo in Z2 because the upgraded Getter has been in a bunch of games, notably the Alpha series and more recently W, but as simply a "better Getter" piloted by the old cartoon Getter Team. The post-Armageddon may not be in Destruction, but it's cool just to see the more serious Getter Team, not to mention the excellent Heats instead of the Getter Robo theme song (the last time Armageddon was featured in full was in D, I think). Not only that, but Z2 takes the Armageddon plot extremely seriously and even fleshes out the leadup to all the bullshit the OVA starts with, going so far as to weave Saotome, Coen and Stinger into the setting politics as we see and in Restoration, setting the post-Armageddon hellscape on Gurren-Lagann's Dark Continent.

Seriously. Armageddon in this game is a gift that keeps on giving.

It wasn't merely the last time it appears, Getter Robo Armageddon has only ever been in SRW D which was seriously broken gameplay wise despite it's amazing cast and right here. In fact the very first scenario of SRW D is the big battle against the Getter G army.

In addition SRW NEO despite being heavily kid focused with the entire Goldran saga, a bunch of goofy fantasy shows, and a show about robot sports leagues boasts New Getter Robo. For those who haven't seen that New Getter Robo is a reboot based heavily on the manga, thus Ryouma is introduced essentially as a thug who kills all the guys Professor Saotome sends to pick him up and Hayato's introduction scene is him planning to kill the minister of the interior to deliver their ultimatum of anarchy to Japan. There's actually a rather interesting stretch in the game where the most mature person on your team is Hayato Jin and he's a terrorist who rips off faces with his bare hands and upon being sent to a fantasy world immediately starts loading up on homemade bombs.

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007
Ah, Super Robot Wars D. As far as SRW games I'd like to see in English go, D's drat near the top of the list, right after the various OGs games that will never get localized because Sony is a bag of dickfucks and Namco doesn't believe that America is a real place that exists and buys videogames.

In terms of gameplay, D is nothing special. In fact, it's fundamentally broken, and even discounting that, it's still not great. It's better than the torturous slogs that A and R are, but that's not actually difficult. No, where D succeeds is in its story, which focuses heavily on Getter Robo: Armageddon, Macross 7, and Victory Gundam, with a dash of Wing, Godmars, and Megazone 23(in its only SRW appearance) to taste.

Anyone who knows anything about Victory Gundam can already guess just how hosed everything is in D.

D was also the debut of Big O in SRW, and its return in Z1 was hailed with cheers. Then the series list for Z2.1 came out, featuring Godmars and Getter Robo: Armageddon. And then Z2.2 threw in Macross7 and the Dynamite 7 OVA to further draw comparisons between Z2 and D. And then you do this LP of Z2.1, and show us that it's not just the series list that is reminiscent of D.

Wow, this post is a mess, isn't it? My main point is that Z2 feels like they tried to make a sort of successor to D with both the series list and storyline, and it looks like they've succeeded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...
D featured probably the most off-the-wall interpretation of Char's Counterattack; as your team is preparing to prevent Axis from dropping the colony on Earth, the original enemies suddenly create this huge barrier over the entirety of the planet, at which point everyone goes, "welp," buries the hatchet, and joins OZ.

• Locked thread