Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Onmi posted:

The Z series in general is very good about setting up it's original protagonists with the licensed characters, more so than the usual "Okay we went to high school with Kouji Kabuto. And that's about it really."

Granted the Z games PERIOD are good with character interaction.

It's something they've gotten better at over the years, on and off. And it isn't necessarily just the newest games that are good at it, Mist being an insufferable poo poo precludes him actually forming good friendships with other series characters in K.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Kira and Camille are helping Chris and Feldt patch the CB Gundams' OSes; it's a testament to how desperate we are for an advantage that outsiders are being allowed to tool around with Celestial Being's secret weapons. But it also shows how much trust Celestial Being has grown to place in the rest of GOONZ.

Tieria still looks uncomfortable to ZEUTH, but he assures them he's not about to start doubting them now. Kira, in turn, apologizes for making assumptions. Tieria insists he didn't have to, but Kira and Athrun insist - in their own battle, they learned the hard way how important it is to communicate openly (a tragic misunderstanding actually led to two halves of ZEUTH fighting each other all-out). Tieria says he'll keep it in mind.

Tieria's been more open himself ever since the incident between Setsuna and Lockon. Luna cracks that maybe he'll even tell us what Celestial Being's all about, but let's not get too crazy here. No, seriously, something's not right about the assumption that you can put a stop to conflict by eradicating weaponry. And even if it worked, what about the Imperium and all the other threats to humanity from outside?

Shinn is at least willing to believe that our Celestial Being wants world peace, however they go about it. He sees it in their eyes, especially Setsuna's. Harry has another question, though - can Celestial Being do it? The Gundams are powerful enough to rout an ordinary squadron of MSs with ease, but they're far from the top - even the Colonies' Gundams are likely an even match for them, and this universe is crawling with private super robots like Dancouga and Trider. Did Celestial Being really think they could take on all of that and come out on top? It seems far below a tactical mind like Sumeragi's. Harry suspects there's something more to the Plan...

Tieria, meanwhile, is actually worried - about Veda. After all, it's gotten to the point where Sumeragi has ordered failsafe software to be installed on the Gundams in case the traitors in the ranks can take control of Veda entirely and the Gundams must operate independently. Lockon reads him and reminds him of what Kira said about being open with one's thoughts. Tieria explains his concern that Veda has been compromised. They can now operate without it, perhaps, but without its aid, could they stand up to, for example, another Gundam?

Lockon reminds him that we still have Sumeragi's brilliant mind at our backs. Crowe adds that they also have GOONZ, all though it would be really nice if "they" could get some gratitude. Like, financial gratitude.

Tieria scowls and says Crowe has no right to take Sumeragi's aid so lightly, when he has no idea what crime she committed. Lockon stops him before he can say what that is, though. She made a mistake, that's all, and it may have been a big one, but she's fighting with her life to correct it even as she drowns the memory in alcohol. That's only a human thing to do. "Human," murmurs Tieria again.

Lockon finally reminds Tieria that now, all the Meisters working in concert is more important than ever, but Tieria retorts that Setsuna needs to hear that more than he does. Lockon agrees, but Crowe doesn't - from his perch outside the routine togetherness of the Meisters, he can see that Setsuna's grown too. That said, some things about the boy haven't changed one bit, and well, they probably won't ever.

Well, well, Alejandro and Ribbons have made it to the moon - to Veda, the machine at the beating heart of Schhenberg's Plan. Alejandro, and generations of Corners before him, have resented their duty to the Plan, but they couldn't escape it as long as Veda hummed away. Now he has the chance to break his dynasty free, and it's all thanks to his angel, Ribbons Almark. Ribbons can only apologize for taking so long, and it will take longer still to actually hack the device. But Alejandro has patience - the Corners have already been waiting over two hundred years for this. And because Veda is in real-time communication with and control of every mech under its influence, Alejandro will have a front row seat...

Looks like Liu-Min has been helping out the Trinities. It's her duty to support Celestial Being, regardless of who it is, as long as they are carrying out the Plan. She's aware that they're at odds with our Celestial Being, but she believes they're the ones changing the world. Johan doesn't care as long as they get what they need from her. And what they need now is a ticket to orbit for themselves and their Gundams.

Now, the other Trinities are suspicious of their new helper, since she's the one that got in touch with them out of nowhere, but Johan wasn't kidding, they need whatever they can get. Mihael agrees - they're on the run, surviving on rations, and he wants some drat meat (Nena pipes up to add she wants candy).

But Ali's boss wanted the Trinities taken care of. Laguna Harvey? No, Ali chuckles, he's dead - by Ali's own hand. "Just like this." He shoots Mihael, drops Johan, and decides that he'd rather finish the job mech-to-mech. Johan and Nena quickly get into theirs.

Chapter 36: Mission Entrusted
(Celestial Being route)

Nena and Johan are reeling, and mad, from Mihael's death...

But since he won't be needing his Gundam, Ali seems to have taken it as a war prize. The Throne Zwei is supposed to be locked to Mihael's biometrics, and Johan deduces that the lock's been hacked through Veda. Ali's not familiar with his new machine,

but he figures out the weapons enough to shoot a few shots at Johan and Nena. They've outlived their usefulness, y'see.

He cuts down the Ein, and Johan gasps that they're Meisters, created to change the world! The Ein explodes, and Ali revels in the glimmering beauty of a GN particle explosion. He turns his attention to Nena...

But GOONZ interrupts his fun. Setsuna is horrified to see Ali in a Gundam, and Ali shouts with joy that they came together by destiny - "just like you and me!"

Ali's men arrive as well. Nena wants revenge, but wanting to live more, executes a tactical retreat while Ali's forces are focused on us. And Ali is - the Ein wasn't enough for him, and he wants to give his new Gundam a test drive!

Sumeragi orders us to focus fire on the Gundam before worrying about the other MSes, so naturally, the game orders us to clean up the PMC units and then destroy Sachez. Doing it all in three turns, naturally.

It's not a big map, so we're on approach within a turn. Enacts and Helios only take a couple of hits, but once again, Ali has brought a few of the tough and (though not yet, mercifully) immobilizing Agrissas.

Of the mere fourteen MSs Ali brought, eight are down within another turn.

I had a bit about killing those loving Agrissas, but we have a lot to get through this chapter.

We're only just about to destroy Ali, after all.

This may, however, hurt.

Ali al-Sachez!
What's the matter, Gundam boy? You don't want me in your precious Gundam?
The tables have turned, kiddo! Now that my machine's as good as yours, you don't stand a chance!
Be quiet... you are not Gundam!

So, that sucked.

Give up that Gundam, thief!
You're about as obsessed with Gundams as that Kurzisi kid, huh?
You don't know the purpose of the Gundam or the importance of its mission! You are not fit for the machine!
As far as I'm concerned, this thing's just a weapon! And once I get a toy, I don't give it up easy!

Hey, mercenary! You were with the KPSA?
You got the story from the Kurzisi kid? Guess you've got it in for me too!
Sorry, celery beans! I don't have time for every idiot who wants revenge for whatever!
Maybe you've done so much terrorism you just don't care...
But just one of those incidents took everything I cared about from me! And you're going to pay for that!

What do you fight for? To sate your hunger?
That's about right! Got a problem with it?
I can't stand people like you...
That's too bad, isn't it? Everyone has something wrong with them. I'm just a little worse than usual!
That's exactly what I'm saying! I can't stand people who can't control their own base urges!

And, at long last, Setsuna's Ace Bonus comes into play.

Okay, so it did this last chapter. But screw the Trinities.

No wonder Ali's so high. Setsuna steals his Adrenaline Ampule. Looks like even Ali al-Sachez can only do so much on his first time in an unfamiliar Gundam.

Suddenly, all four Gundams bug out.

Ime, who's watching god knows why, offers to explain why, but he suspects we are already perfectly aware. They've been cut off from Veda! Setsuna is flashing back to Kurzistan, when he was in Exia, yet unable to be Gundam.

Again... just like in Kurzistan...
When I was in Exia... yet unable to be Gundam...
No, Setsuna! You're not the same as you were then!
You don't have to fight alone! We're right here with you!
Don't give up! We're behind you!
Don't try to do everything alone! You're not the only Gundam!
I'm... still alive!
That's right! So move!
You know there's still something you have to do!
They're right, Setsuna! We can't die yet!
I'm alive! Move, Exia! We must fight!
GUNDAAAAAAM!
Kira! Now!
Calibration in progress, resetting zero moment and CPG...
Reconnecting FCS, switching control to the subcircuit... execute!

The Gundams are back online, but Tieria isn't, and Ime rubs it in - he's been forsaken by Veda, and he has nothing left to live for.

Ali sees his chance and pounces. Lockon takes the hit meant for Tieria, and Ali moves on to Setsuna, taunting him. Setsuna can't believe a man like Ali is piloting a Gundam...

And back on the moon, Alejandro is impressed by Sumeragi's preparation, but it won't be enough to make up for the loss of Veda. Meanwhile, Ribbons has advanced all the way to security level 7, the last level of the database.

So he finds himself at last at his goal: the cryogenic preservation pod of Aeolia Schhenberg himself. Schhenberg had himself preserved to be thawed out when the world was unified and at peace, but Alejandro says he'll never get to see it. But don't worry, he'll inherit Aeolia's mission of a world under one banner... that of Alejandro Corner, of course!

Suddenly, Aeolia's voice booms. "It is my deep regret to say that if evil has found its way here, the world I strove to create has not come to pass." Alejandro and Ribbons recognize that it's a trap set to trigger if Veda was ever fully compromised. "Humans continue their foolish battle, guiding the world to its doom," Aeolia continues. "It seems even the creation of a multiworld has not been enough to change that." Now, that's a shock! Aeolia was supposed to have died 200 years ago, long before the first quake. "However," says Aeolia's voice, "I still believe in humanity enough to entrust them with a new power. This planet... humanity... must change.

Ali is still enjoying his new Gundam. It's pretty much the best weapon ever!

No.

[IMG]http://lpix.org/1427665/20130922224807.avi_snapshot_00.06_[2013.09.22_22.52.40].jpg[/IMG]

You're wrong!

[IMG]http://lpix.org/1427666/20130922224807.avi_snapshot_00.07_[2013.09.22_22.52.56].jpg[/IMG]

That's not my Gundam!

[IMG]http://lpix.org/1427667/20130922224807.avi_snapshot_00.16_[2013.09.22_22.50.09].jpg[/IMG]

Ali al-Sachez!

[IMG]http://lpix.org/1427668/20130922224807.avi_snapshot_00.23_[2013.09.22_22.50.32].jpg[/IMG]

You...

[IMG]http://lpix.org/1427669/20130922224807.avi_snapshot_00.25_[2013.09.22_22.51.02].jpg[/IMG]

You will pay!

[IMG]http://lpix.org/1427670/20130922224807.avi_snapshot_00.32_[2013.09.22_22.51.35].jpg[/IMG]

By my hand!

[IMG]http://lpix.org/1427671/20130922224807.avi_snapshot_00.34_[2013.09.22_22.51.59].jpg[/IMG]

With my Gundam!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsOqP_SjQzc

Aeolia's voice speaks through all the Gundams, too. He says he doesn't know if they're the ones he entrusted his mission to, but he still wishes to entrust the full power of the GN Drives to them. "I pray you will fight for an end to conflict and a dawn of true peace. Not for Celestial Being, but of your own free will, and with the Gundams."

Knowing when he's actually outmatched, Ali makes a break for it. Sumeragi calculates that the red Exia temporarily attained, wait for it, triple the power across the board. And all four of our Gundams - the only ones equipped with genuine GN Drives - have unlocked it!

In the middle of all this, Tifa recognizes the voice as the one who lent Garrod the Satellite Cannon's power.

So there's still the matter of Ime Liard, who claims he came to sway Crowe by breaking Tieria's mind. Of course, it seems to have backfired, so Ime has to fall back to his second option:

Brute force.

Lockon is unconscious from Ali's blow, and a depressed Tieria drags him away from the battlefield.

Crowe invites Ime to come at him straight, but Ime's goal isn't to harm Crowe, just to sway his heart. "I want to see the you who wants to live and the you who would rather be dead hanging in the balance..."

Besides, it'll be much more fun to see him fight Marguerite. Before she was uncertain and hesitant. Now she's full of anger and hatred and will attack with all her might.

Anyway, now it's just a straightforward battle with Damons led by Pearlnail.

Lots of Damons, by the way, and not a regular one in sight. I think this is the point where Bulldamons just become regular DAMon grunt forces. Yay.

(Wait, Lockon Stratos. This will end soon.)
I will use the power I have been entrusted with to fight my battle!

I'll spare you the Damons, but for Camille fans, he's finally regained enough of his psychic power to use that saber.

En guarde, Crowe Brust!
I think she's serious this time... she wants my blood, huh?!
You took from me the last thing I had! You will pay!
...I don't care if you're some fancy honorable knight, you gotta stay frosty on the battlefield.
If I'm fighting for my life, I fight like I want to live. That means giving it all I've got...

Suffice to say the battle with the DAMons is long, annoying, and dull.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENdDwpGi7kI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etgN6Xdoc70

So here are videos of our newly unlocked attacks (you'll have to wait a long while to see Virtue's and Dynames' Trans-Ams, though).

Let's ignore them and focus on Pearlnail.

I can't wait to have Valor.

Now, I was going to have Crowe finish her anyway, but it's actually important for him to do it right now.

Sorry, but I can't afford mercy either.

Marguerite drops a Vernier and mutters that she can't avenge her brother. No one, least of all Crowe, has any idea of what she's talking about. The Imperium's just them and DAMons, isn't it?

Anyway, Damons suck, kill them all (eventually). Yet again, Ime gloats that "the scales wavered but the fulcrum didn't break," then leaves.

But something big's happening in Area 11. It's supposed to be the ceremony for the establishment of Euphemia's "Special Administrative Region of Japan" initiative, which would give Area 11 back much of its rights and independence while maintaining it as a Britannian territory. But...

Instead, Euphemia has ordered the execution of all the Japanese gathered at the establishment site! Naturally, the Black Knights stormed the area to stem the damage. Intense fighting broke out between them and the Britannian forces stationed there, and the arrival of the Imperium has thrown the whole thing into chaos. Meanwhile, Britannian officials have offered no comment on Euphemia's behavior, but it's clear that the Japanese rebellion is only going to get far more intense in the near future.

Treize can't believe there's one more thing pushing the world towards its doom. Amuro asks if he doesn't have the power to change that himself. Treize sadly says he's only one man, but Amuro, for some reason, thought more of him.

So Treize asks Amuro point-blank - were he in Treize's place, could he change the world without sacrificing a single life?

But Amuro has an idea of what he can do. He's going to join ZEUTH. As promised, Treize has no intention of stopping him, and has even kept Amuro's mobile suit ready for them. And Quattro?

We're not to find out now. But man, Euphemia. She basically lured all the Japanese into a trap and slaughtered them. Now pockets of terrorism are expanding all over Area 11, and it's being overrun by the Imperium's Damons.

In the wake of the disaster, Elgan is calling GOONZ back together. It's not the best time, given all the revelations about the traitor in Celestial Being, but Sumeragi knows she has a duty to GOONZ, and she can count on GOONZ' support in return. The traitor isn't just a Celestial Being matter - whoever he is, he's an enemy of the whole world, and it's GOONZ' duty to stop him together.

As for Lockon, he'll make it. Tieria and Feldt are by his side. Crowe's glad Celestial Being's big brother isn't biting it just yet, and while the Meisters didn't exactly think of him that way, it makes a lot of sense.

Also, our rendezvous point is back at Dragon's Hive. Team D is anxious to have a word with F. S. again.

Lockon's got an eye out, but that's not going to stop him from fighting. Tieria blames himself, but Lockon doesn't - and this sort of sympathy isn't like Tieria. What's really bothering him? Tieria chokes out that without his direct link to Veda, he has no right to call himself a Meister...

Wait, what?

It would explain why Virtue was buggiest when they made the OS switch; pilot error, as they say. Either way, Lockon doesn't see the problem - if Tieria's missing his link, that just puts him on their level. And Lockon doesn't believe for a second that losing Veda means they can't carry out the Plan. All they have to do is stick with their Gundams and keep fighting the good fight as best they can. That's what the rest of GOONZ is doing.

Tieria apologizes again, though, and Lockon tells him not to worry about it. "Everyone makes mistakes. It's only human."

Alejandro's flipped out and shot Aeolia's pod! Cool as ever, Ribbons is merely reflecting on that mysterious ability of original GN Drives, absent from all recorded data. There's a black box in them they haven't been able to reproduce; the secret must lie there.

Alejandro rants and raves, cursing Aeolia for "playing God," and Ribbons muses that that title might not be too far off for Aeolia Schhenberg - though now he, Ribbons, knows of the man who stood at that God's right hand. Meanwhile, Alejandro will not let this stop him from advancing his plan to the final phase and then wiping out everyone who ever opposed him!

So a lot of things just happened! However, we are going to go see what went down in Japan before we circle around to Area 11 and learn just what went wrong with Euphemia. Stay tuned for Dai-Guard!

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
The Euphemia Massacre is really loving crazy when viewed from a non-omniscient perspective.

GodofDiscord
Sep 5, 2013

Not the strongest, but the cutest.
On today's very special update, poo poo hits the fan so many times it's not even funny! :stonk:
That being said, I will say that while I'm glad the Trinities are gone, I feel sorta sorry for our resident psycho-bitch Nena. She just lost her family and had to run away instead of taking revenge. :smith:

Aaaaand Euphemia Massacre time, Hooooooly crap. I was always taken aback by this, especially because we saw what was going on in the anime, and my goodness it is brutal. Though why would Euphie do something like that? Well I know what's going to happen but no spoilers.
Still it's really one of the most unnerving things ever.

That being said, I'm looking forward to the next update! Mazinger gooooo~

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.
Bleh, I find it real hard to feel sorry for the Trinities when all they did was wreck poo poo up and kill innocent bystanders.

I do, however, love Ioria trolling Alejandro from beyond the grave - and from the past!

Now, for today's new song:

It's...OK, I guess. It has the gravitas you'd expect from a "strongest attack" theme but I'm not very impressed by it.
I certainly don't like it as much as Daybreak's Bell.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I really like having the SEED boys be the reason the CB Gundams can work post-Veda, like Ime loving with in-series characters, like the outsider perspective on Euphie going balls crazy. Also think I'm going to enjoy how they play with Ioria's role, here.

Brunom1 posted:

It's...OK, I guess. It has the gravitas you'd expect from a "strongest attack" theme but I'm not very impressed by it.

I'm not really fond of it as an 'ultimate attack' sort of theme, but I find it works rather well as a general Gundam/Realbot battle theme for when the plot demands things are getting hectic. I thought it went really well with, for instance, fighting through a cloud of Damons back when Gaioh first showed and threw the poo poo to the fan. I'm the sort of person who's constantly swapping people's themes around to fit the mood.

GodofDiscord
Sep 5, 2013

Not the strongest, but the cutest.

Brunom1 posted:

Bleh, I find it real hard to feel sorry for the Trinities when all they did was wreck poo poo up and kill innocent bystanders.

Well crap I forgot about that, thanks for reminding me Brunom. gently caress the Trinities.

Well the new piece of music is okay, but it's situational at best. I'd like it on when there are many enemies to be cut. It feels more like a theme fit for a boss battle. It's not bad, but it's not super amazing either. It's decent.

GodofDiscord fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Sep 24, 2013

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
00 in general didn't have much in the area of decent fight music. It's pretty much all either renditions of Fight or mediocre tracks that get old fast. Certainly nothing as iconic as Zeta Activates or loving amazing like Satellite Cannon. They probably should have just made an instrumental version of Ash Like Snow.

Also jesus Caphi, you went all out with the Gundams this chapter.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

BlitzBlast posted:

This is a 'Setsuna does stuff' chapter. NOT having all available Gundams out is a waste.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

I really like having the SEED boys be the reason the CB Gundams can work post-Veda, like Ime loving with in-series characters, like the outsider perspective on Euphie going balls crazy. Also think I'm going to enjoy how they play with Ioria's role, here.

Yeah, that is one of the little touches I really like. It's a nice way to use SEED's goofy plot bullshit without making it front and center and helps make the crossovers feel a bit more weighty.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, that is one of the little touches I really like. It's a nice way to use SEED's goofy plot bullshit without making it front and center and helps make the crossovers feel a bit more weighty.

It's been said before, but it's the little touches that really sell the crossover. It's one thing to have a big "THIS IS OUR BIG CROSSOVER THING" like Shinji getting inspired by Amuro or Ayato in Alpha or MX, but the crossovers get a lot more believable when they interact in the more subtle ways too, like the fellow Gundam pilots tinkering with each other's machines or Astragius folks winding Area 11's ghetto or Crowe and Lockon shooting the poo poo together. I imagine it's way harder than it might sound, and Z does it so well.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
00 Season 2 has the Raiser theme which is pretty decent and has a more dramatic feel to it, but that won't appear this game so there's not much point going on about it too much yet.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

00 in general didn't have much in the area of decent fight music. It's pretty much all either renditions of Fight or mediocre tracks that get old fast. Certainly nothing as iconic as Zeta Activates or loving amazing like Satellite Cannon. They probably should have just made an instrumental version of Ash Like Snow.

I think the first season of 00 had pretty good music, though the one really good track doesn't appear until S2 (which is kind of weak otherwise). The original versions of many Gundam BGMs (like Satellite Cannon) are kind of bad, it is just that SRW keeps looping their better parts, often touching them up a little while at it.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Brunom1 posted:

Now, for today's new song:

This reminds me that the greatest disappointment of this game is the lack of "Counterattack" as a BGM.

KDavisJr
Jul 17, 2010

A real avatar never dies, even when it's replaced!
Didn't watch much of Geass but I did hear of the Euphie Massacre. And motherfucker,I don't know Lelouch's state of mind now, but I doubt he's calm.

I'm sure if we throw Manziger (even better if we had kaiser), Dai-Gaurd, and Gurren Lagaan at it though, it will be all better

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

TK-31 posted:

The original versions of many Gundam BGMs (like Satellite Cannon) are kind of bad

You think SRW Z's Satellite Cannon is superior to the original OST's? It cuts off right before the song's payoff gets going, probably to fit the animation.

And that's beside the fact that a lot of SRW arranges are often straight up worse than the originals; Zeta Activates is a lot less eerie, Black History is missing its vocal components... pretty much the only track that actually fits what you're talking about is the main theme of Char's Counterattack, and that's not much better sounding than the original.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I suppose we like really different background music then. :v:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

KDavisJr posted:

Didn't watch much of Geass but I did hear of the Euphie Massacre. And motherfucker,I don't know Lelouch's state of mind now, but I doubt he's calm.

Just wait until you get the gory details...:allears:

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

The scene with Treize I really like because it shows that Banpresto really GETS the characters they're using. The conversation between him and Amuro and giving Amuro his blessing to leave both really represent Treize and his ideals and internal landscape very well.

There's also the neat bit of having Kira acting as Computer Wunderkind for the CB Gundams. Banpresto is also good at remembering even incidental or secondary details in the characters they use and applying them in crossovers. One of the really good scenes in SRW J for instance all hinge on them remembering one of the pilots of Voltes V is a Ninja.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Omnicrom posted:

There's also the neat bit of having Kira acting as Computer Wunderkind for the CB Gundams. Banpresto is also good at remembering even incidental or secondary details in the characters they use and applying them in crossovers. One of the really good scenes in SRW J for instance all hinge on them remembering one of the pilots of Voltes V is a Ninja.

I think even SEED forgot Kira's a programmer after he got into a robot. It simply never came up again.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

veekie posted:

I think even SEED forgot Kira's a programmer after he got into a robot. It simply never came up again.

I think my favorite programmer in a giant robot story is Stelvia of the Universe... Did that ever make it into a SRW game?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

veekie posted:

It comes up a few times during the show actually. It's post Freedom that it gets forgotten.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Ardeem posted:

I think my favorite programmer in a giant robot story is Stelvia of the Universe... Did that ever make it into a SRW game?

Sadly no.

ImpAtom posted:

It comes up a few times during the show actually. It's post Freedom that it gets forgotten.

This is true, in SEED there's a couple of times where Kira's programming chops are plot important. But that's generally to improve or modify the Strike in some way. After the Freedom he never needs to really tinker with it because it's fine from the get-go.

bubblegumbo0
Apr 24, 2008

我的機動戰士是個ヤンデレ!
Kira help programmed the Astray's OS later in SEED and it was heavily implied that he was some sort of engineering student in the first episode, so yea its not strange that he is some sort of computer wonderkind.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

bubblegumbo0 posted:

Kira help programmed the Astray's OS later in SEED and it was heavily implied that he was some sort of engineering student in the first episode, so yea its not strange that he is some sort of computer wonderkind.

He reprogrammed the Strike in combat.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013

veekie posted:

He reprogrammed the Strike in combat.

He reprogrammed the Strike during combat (though that was against an enemy who had no weapons capable of damaging him). When they landed in Africa, he somehow magicked up a way to make the Strike's feet not sink into the sand. If I recall correctly, the Archangel crew bought a sonar system while in Africa, and he had to program that too, even though there's no way he was taught how to do that. Then, as mentioned, he created a new OS to get around the series' arbitrary restriction on naturals not being able to pilot them. Then when he got the Freedom, he created a new OS for that too before taking off, because... reasons.

Don't get me wrong, there probably aren't many people on this board who like SEED more than me. But Kira's programming skills are about as realistic and sensical as an 18-meter tall humanoid battle robot.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Wasn't Naturals unable to make Gundams work because the controls were just that complicated? Presumably you need to keep track of a dozen variables and inputs because gently caress automation.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

veekie posted:

Wasn't Naturals unable to make Gundams work because the controls were just that complicated? Presumably you need to keep track of a dozen variables and inputs because gently caress automation.

Yeah, I always understood it as the Natural OS just automates most of the piloting.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

veekie posted:

Most robots in most settings have a lot of automation which handles the bulk of the machine's movement. The original Gundam had a learning computer which actively improved how the machine functioned based on combat. (And could even move the machine on its own in limited circumstances.) It basically was there to handwave how Amuro could get better so much faster prior to Newtype. Later the data from the Learning Computer was given to GMs which allowed them to be better at functioning from the start. Later "Gundam-alikes" like Dragonar and Zone of the Enders use full-fledged AIs instead of learning computers to do basically the same thing, complete with explaining why teenage pilots can fight on-par with veteran aces.

The idea in the SEED universe was that their computers were much shittier and couldn't compensate as much, leading to incredibly slow reaction times and a basic inability to fight unless you were a genetic superman. It wasn't that the machines couldn't work (Captain Ramius pilots the Strike with limited success at the start of SEED) but that they were basically a slow lumbering walking target. The exception was Lowe Gear's Astray which was literally (and inexplicably) using the RX-78-2's Learning Computer to compensate.

Of course this all gets ignored except when it leads to convenient Drama because SEED.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Oct 3, 2013

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

ImpAtom posted:

The exceptions was Lowe Gear's Astray which was literally (and inexplicably) using the RX-78-2's Learning Computer to compensate.

Is that what 8 is? Is it supposed to be able to talk?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caphi posted:

Is that what 8 is? Is it supposed to be able to talk?

Yep. Lowe finds it in the wreckage of what looks exactly like the Core Fighter and he named it 8 based on the only thing that wasn't too scratched to read. (The others being RX-78-2). It being sentient (and being in the CE at all) are just something Astray never bothered going further with because it was probably supposed to be a silly joke explaining why Lowe had a learning computer.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Yep. Lowe finds it in the wreckage of what looks exactly like the Core Fighter and he named it 8 based on the only thing that wasn't too scratched to read. (The others being RX-78-2). It being sentient (and being in the CE at all) are just something Astray never bothered going further with because it was probably supposed to be a silly joke explaining why Lowe had a learning computer.

drat, I had no idea that 8 was something like that...

I always assumed it was just a magic AI that Lowe simply stumbled upon.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

...being in the CE at all...
The Moon Race dug it up.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

ImpAtom posted:

Most robots in most settings have a lot of automation which handles the bulk of the machine's movement. The original Gundam had a learning computer which actively improved how the machine functioned based on combat. (And could even move the machine on its own in limited circumstances.) It basically was there to handwave how Amuro could get better so much faster prior to Newtype. Later the data from the Learning Computer was given to GMs which allowed them to be better at functioning from the start. Later "Gundam-alikes" like Dragonar and Zone of the Enders use full-fledged AIs instead of learning computers to do basically the same thing, complete with explaining why teenage pilots can fight on-par with veteran aces.

The idea in the SEED universe was that their computers were much shittier and couldn't compensate as much, leading to incredibly slow reaction times and a basic inability to fight unless you were a genetic superman. It wasn't that the machines couldn't work (Captain Ramius pilots the Strike with limited success at the start of SEED) but that they were basically a slow lumbering walking target. The exception was Lowe Gear's Astray which was literally (and inexplicably) using the RX-78-2's Learning Computer to compensate.

Of course this all gets ignored except when it leads to convenient Drama because SEED.

The weirdness here is that Athrun makes fairly intelligent Haros and robot birds more or less casually. Apparently it's just Naturals who suck at programming.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

veekie posted:

The weirdness here is that Athrun makes fairly intelligent Haros and robot birds more or less casually. Apparently it's just Naturals who suck at programming.

This is CE. Naturals suck at everything.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Hellioning posted:

This is CE. Naturals suck at everything.
Except being whiny racist assholes. Or colossal douchebags. Naturals excel in those departments GREATLY.

Bahumat
Oct 11, 2012
Don't forget resorting to genocide as the first and only option!

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
I seem to recall that 8 was actually built by Morgenroete. At some point, I think in Destiny Astray, there was a side character who got left behind when Morgenroete in Orb was evacuated, and she had a bunch of identical computer systems with her.

But was the issue with mobile suit piloting due to complexity? Was it ever explicitly said that that was the case? That never really made sense to me, because when naturals pilot them without the natural OS, it looks sluggish, rather than unstable. And even extremely skilled naturals like Mu La Flaga couldn't pilot them effectively- his gunbarrels couldn't have been easy to use. On the other hand, you have characters like Elijah Kiel, who was able to pilot them despite not having any enhanced piloting skills.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Montegoraon posted:

But was the issue with mobile suit piloting due to complexity? Was it ever explicitly said that that was the case? That never really made sense to me, because when naturals pilot them without the natural OS, it looks sluggish, rather than unstable. And even extremely skilled naturals like Mu La Flaga couldn't pilot them effectively- his gunbarrels couldn't have been easy to use. On the other hand, you have characters like Elijah Kiel, who was able to pilot them despite not having any enhanced piloting skills.

The Astray OS, developed by Morgenroete (based on data from both the Strike and Red Frame), enabled Naturals to pilot MSs.
Before that, they were stuck in Mobile Armors, I think.

I don't know about much of Elijah's backstory, though - maybe he can pilot them because he's a Coordinator (without the enhanced combat skills) and learned how to customize his OS while training for Zaft?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013

Brunom1 posted:

The Astray OS, developed by Morgenroete (based on data from both the Strike and Red Frame), enabled Naturals to pilot MSs.
Before that, they were stuck in Mobile Armors, I think.

I don't know about much of Elijah's backstory, though - maybe he can pilot them because he's a Coordinator (without the enhanced combat skills) and learned how to customize his OS while training for Zaft?

Maybe. Now that I think about it, ZAFT must have had an equivalent to a natural-use OS as well, because they had at least one natural pilot in their forces: Rau Le Creuset. Prayer Reverie was also able to use a ZAFT mobile suit unaided.

• Locked thread