Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Graham's last name is Aker, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Watching Code Geass was weird for me: I actually come from Glasgow, so hearing people talking about Glasgows with fear and dread at the start of the series always made me laugh.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

I've never seen 00, but for some reason I really like the Virtue Gundam. So much that it's 50% upgraded about 20ish missions into the game. (where I already have Mazinger Z and Gurren Lagann fully upgraded) Something about giant beam cannons on tiny mecha just makes me smile i guess.

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007
Regarding CMC: I think I heard mention that it stands for Colony Management Corporation. I'm not 100% sure about the validity of it, but it makes sense to me.

KDavisJr
Jul 17, 2010

A real avatar never dies, even when it's replaced!

Hunter Noventa posted:

I've never seen 00, but for some reason I really like the Virtue Gundam. So much that it's 50% upgraded about 20ish missions into the game. (where I already have Mazinger Z and Gurren Lagann fully upgraded) Something about giant beam cannons on tiny mecha just makes me smile i guess.

To that end I've always had a soft spot for Freedom Gundam, despite having never seen Gundam SEED (awkward name to say btw). Nothing says Beam Spam more than having four beam cannons standard. And then you add in the METEOR Unit...

Mutant Headcrab posted:

Regarding CMC: I think I heard mention that it stands for Colony Management Corporation. I'm not 100% sure about the validity of it, but it makes sense to me.

That sounds both a load of bulshit, and highly valid at the same time.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Caphi posted:

Setsuna is off in his own little world. He declares himself Gundam and dashes off into the middle of the map!

I have no idea what's going on here, but I'm finding it hilarious. :lol:

Caphi posted:

"Gundam! Let me show you how much I love you!"

And also this.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Wait. They actualy start us off with the regular Wing Gundam and not the Wing Zero Custom from Endless Waltz with its stupid angel wings?

I think I love this game. :swoon: Though I assume that will be an eventual mandatory upgrade for it at some point.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Caphi posted:

Oh Heero, you lovable nutjob you.

There is one thing that's good about Wing's "bird" mode. Attacks in that mode makes the game play the awesome but weirdly named The Wings of a Boy That Killed Adolescence track. It's kind of the "OH poo poo IT'S A GUNDAM" song in the series.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I will say, I really like how they made Brittania into one of the three 00 factions in this game. It integrates quite nicely, espicially since the Americas in the actual show wound up giving us Graham and gently caress all else.

The general 00/Wing dynamic seems quite interesting overall, really.

Yosuke
Dec 21, 2006

Emperor of Steel

Cernunnos posted:

Wait. They actualy start us off with the regular Wing Gundam and not the Wing Zero Custom from Endless Waltz with its stupid angel wings?

I think I love this game. :swoon: Though I assume that will be an eventual mandatory upgrade for it at some point.

nope. Z2-2 sticks to the TV series purely.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

vilkacis posted:

I have no idea what's going on here, but I'm finding it hilarious. :lol:

This is literally what happens in the show, the four pilots are on approach for a mission when Setsuna just suddenly emphatically goes "Gundam... I am Gundam!" and blasts off at full speed, Allelujah and Tieria then basically say "Okay, Lockon you can babysit the kid," and fly off for their part of the mission. Throughout this Lockon is just "What the gently caress are you talking about?"
For more hilarious declarations of Gundamness, play Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3.

And yeah, Graham's dialogue when talking about the Gundams, and his impassioned declarations of love for Exia in particular are always hilarious.

ActionZero fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Apr 27, 2012

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Yosuke posted:

nope. Z2-2 sticks to the TV series purely.

:swoon: I love it even more now! :swoon:

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

TheLastRoboKy posted:

There is one thing that's good about Wing's "bird" mode. Attacks in that mode makes the game play the awesome but weirdly named The Wings of a Boy That Killed Adolescence track. It's kind of the "OH poo poo IT'S A GUNDAM" song in the series.

Yeah, but you can set the BGM for every unit in the game (except for when the 00 units bust out their Super Attack) so it's not really much of an inherent plus.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Pureauthor posted:

Yeah, but you can set the BGM for every unit in the game (except for when the 00 units bust out their Super Attack) so it's not really much of an inherent plus.

I wasn't suggesting that a cool song was worth gimping Wing's combat potential over in the first place. It was just a nice surprise when I realised that they had thrown the track in, as I understand it hasn't appeared in very many if any SRW games featuring Gundam Wing before.

When I say "one good thing" I mean it's about the only good thing about the bird form.

Kata-Haro
Oct 21, 2010

TheLastRoboKy posted:

I wasn't suggesting that a cool song was worth gimping Wing's combat potential over in the first place. It was just a nice surprise when I realised that they had thrown the track in, as I understand it hasn't appeared in very many if any SRW games featuring Gundam Wing before.

When I say "one good thing" I mean it's about the only good thing about the bird form.

In fact I can't remember any other SRW game that features that particular song. Though that could be because my mind automatically links the Wing suits with loving White Reflection.

Kata-Haro fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Apr 27, 2012

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Kata-Haro posted:

In fact I can't remember any other SRW game that features that particular song. Though that could be because my mind automatically links the Wing suits with loving White Reflection.

Now, now. Be fair; White Reflection is as underused as Rythmn Emotion and Just Communication.

The song that always goes with Gundam Wing is Last Impression.

Tobias Grant
May 16, 2009

Lucky for you, I'm a dog lover.
White Reflection also only appears in Alpha Gaiden, to my knowledge.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

ActionZero posted:

"Gundam... I am Gundam!"

It still sounds hilarious. I know next to nothing about Gundam beyond the original show (I'm working on it, though), so what popped into my head was this:

For those who haven't played Mass Effect 2, this guy tends to run into battle while loudly declaring "I am krogan!", krogan being the name of his species. He's less Gundam coloured in the actual game, though.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
The one thing that always seemed weird to me about SRW, even moreso than how they mix drastically different stories and settings into one world, is how their technologies blend into that one world. Like, in Code Geass, it's a big deal when the Knightmares start flying, because it's a fairly new thing, but Gundams just fly around like it ain't no thang because flying mechs are old news in their universe.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

TwoPair posted:

The one thing that always seemed weird to me about SRW, even moreso than how they mix drastically different stories and settings into one world, is how their technologies blend into that one world. Like, in Code Geass, it's a big deal when the Knightmares start flying, because it's a fairly new thing, but Gundams just fly around like it ain't no thang because flying mechs are old news in their universe.

That doesn't even get into the Super Problem - Code Geass, Gundam Wing, and I want to say VOTOMS all make a big deal about cutting-edge immersive control systems that make robots react with unprecedented speed and precision, meanwhile there is a whole cluster of (enormous, brightly-colored, ludicrously armed) robots that already move with the pilot's thoughts and another cluster that literally do anything you want based on nothing but joysticks and manly screaming.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Must be a pricetag thing (usually, Oh Borot, I love you). Sure, you have plenty of Super Robots with handy screaming idiot friendly control systems. But those are special made models. In most Real Robot cases, they have to worry about their budget for technology they can press off an assembly line for you all the Ace Custom Real Robots and Super Robot alike to kill by the dozens.

I mean, really. Would you want the job of justifying the price tag of installing Nadesico's nanite control system into all those Leo mechs we just saw get obliterated? And that's not even getting into all the Real Robots that may as well BE super robots.

Oh, you have a robot with systems that render it completely immune to bullets and explosives, piloted by a genetically enhanced superhuman. Yeah, that's totally realistic just because you spewed some theoretical science terms out of your mouth.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Brunom1 posted:

Now, now. Be fair; White Reflection is as underused as Rythmn Emotion and Just Communication.

For anyone who's played Z2.2, do they use Rhythm Emotion in that game? That's actually my favorite of the Wing theme songs.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Caphi posted:

That doesn't even get into the Super Problem - Code Geass, Gundam Wing, and I want to say VOTOMS all make a big deal about cutting-edge immersive control systems that make robots react with unprecedented speed and precision, meanwhile there is a whole cluster of (enormous, brightly-colored, ludicrously armed) robots that already move with the pilot's thoughts and another cluster that literally do anything you want based on nothing but joysticks and manly screaming.

Didn't the realtime interface in Wing also have the unfortunate side effect of making the pilot dangerously psychotic (or in the case of Heero Yui, just making him a bit sulkier)?

Ignoring that for a sec, the real clash I'm interested to see is how they'll explain Gurren Lagann tying in to the story. Now that's going to be interesting.

Tobias Grant
May 16, 2009

Lucky for you, I'm a dog lover.

Spiritus Nox posted:

For anyone who's played Z2.2, do they use Rhythm Emotion in that game? That's actually my favorite of the Wing theme songs.

It does indeed. it shows up once people start getting the upgraded versions of their suits, I think

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV Nope. Just the TV versions.

Tobias Grant fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Apr 28, 2012

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Tobias Grant posted:

It does indeed.

Let me guess, they use Last Impression for the Endless Waltz versions. Getting a little tired of that. Oh wait, they don't have those in Z2.2, do they?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Z2.2 has a distinct lack of Endless Waltz. Repeat! Z2.2 has a distinct lack of Endless Waltz.

It's still Gundam Wing, though, so :geno:

Don't know why y'all are talking about Gundam Wing in Z2.2 when that game has the best SRW newcomer since Shin Mazinger Shougeki! Z-hen. :colbert:

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Apr 28, 2012

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

vilkacis posted:

It still sounds hilarious. I know next to nothing about Gundam beyond the original show (I'm working on it, though), so what popped into my head was this:

For those who haven't played Mass Effect 2, this guy tends to run into battle while loudly declaring "I am krogan!", krogan being the name of his species. He's less Gundam coloured in the actual game, though.

Knowing anything about Gundam doesn't make Setsuna make any more sense. Z2 is completely unashamed of making fun of how hosed up and insane he is.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

vilkacis posted:

It still sounds hilarious. I know next to nothing about Gundam beyond the original show

It is genuinely hilarious (there's a scene when they're heading for the final battle of the show where his Gundam obsession becomes utterly wonderful) but it's also possibly the most important aspect of Setsuna's character throughout the entire series. The reason for Setsuna's obsession with Gundams is (00 spoilers)when he was a child soldier he was saved by the first of the GN type Gundams flying in and instantly wiping out all of the mobile suits that were blowing poo poo up, this was pretty much a religious experience for him (not 30 seconds previously he had decided that there couldn't really be a god). Gundam doesn't really mean "powerful mobile suit with a V-fin" to him, instead it's an embodiment of bringing an end to conflict, so when he says stuff like "I am Gundam!" he's actually saying that he wants to become that embodiment himself, which is basically the driving force behind everything he does. So yeah, Setsuna is quantifiably more than a little nuts.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

ActionZero posted:

[...] So yeah, Setsuna is quantifiably more than a little nuts.

Basically ActionZero has it. There's actually a truly wonderful conversation between Setsuna and Heero, and you better translate ALL of it Caphi because it had me cracking up.

So Gundam Wing: The last time we used the TV versions of the Wing mecha was SRW D. The last time we used the Wing STORYLINE was SRW @1. It's been quite a while. Also don't get your hopes up for people who want to see the Zero or Epyon, neither is in SRW Z2.1. Gundam Wing is only covered up until episode 10 so none of the upgrades to the Wing Gundams are shown. This is a far cry from most SRW games where the story takes place after Endless Waltz and the Gundams are really there mostly to provide squad filler Post Endless Waltz gets you the 5 Wing mecha, the Tallgeese III, and a Taurus or 2 and it fits well in most SRW Storylines.

As for difficulty if you want a hard SRW you can do worse than Z2.1 actually. I had a tremendous amount of difficulty with the game and getting the Skill Points. Z2.2 is actually a LOT easier in that regard.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

I'm really hoping Z3 doesn't do Endless Waltz. I don't need to hear Heero talking about that girl and her dog anymore.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Setsuna is more obsessed with Gundam than you ever imagine. There's a scene late in the 1st season when the crew does the cliche "Pilot about to fight, name their loved ones names"

Al says his girl's name, Setsuna says "Gundam."

Kata-Haro
Oct 21, 2010

Brunom1 posted:

My mistake. I was probably thinking of Last Impression.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Didn't the realtime interface in Wing also have the unfortunate side effect of making the pilot dangerously psychotic (or in the case of Heero Yui, just making him a bit sulkier)?

Just how many super robot interfaces have the drawbacks of some form of psychosis for the pilot anyway?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

veekie posted:

Just how many super robot interfaces have the drawbacks of some form of psychosis for the pilot anyway?
All of them. Hot Blood is actually a Mental Disorder that lessens reasoning ability, like skipping straight to your all powerful finishing move.

Fake Edit: Oh man, I just remembered how in Voltes V, even the pilots are asking themselves why the hell they aren't just skipping straight to the sword. Today's reason? Giant Samurai Monster! solution? Kendo expert pilot teaches Gunslinger main pilot to barehand blade block... With bullets, because "I'm terrible with a sword, We don't have time for this man! Just shoot me and I'll learn from that."

Remember kids, if your blood is hot enough, then ask people to shoot you so you can learn sword techniques. :pseudo: Man, I just love how the Boazan Empire spent so much research time into "How to gently caress with Voltes V" They have a transform sequence? gently caress with it! They have a Sword? gently caress with it! I really need to track down and watch more than 12 translated episodes of that sometime.

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?

Section Z posted:

All of them. Hot Blood is actually a Mental Disorder that lessens reasoning ability, like skipping straight to your all powerful finishing move.

Fake Edit: Oh man, I just remembered how in Voltes V, even the pilots are asking themselves why the hell they aren't just skipping straight to the sword. Today's reason? Giant Samurai Monster! solution? Kendo expert pilot teaches Gunslinger main pilot to barehand blade block... With bullets, because "I'm terrible with a sword, We don't have time for this man! Just shoot me and I'll learn from that."

Remember kids, if your blood is hot enough, then ask people to shoot you so you can learn sword techniques. :pseudo: Man, I just love how the Boazan Empire spent so much research time into "How to gently caress with Voltes V" They have a transform sequence? gently caress with it! They have a Sword? gently caress with it! I really need to track down and watch more than 12 translated episodes of that sometime.

I've watched all of Voltes and it's not actually bad at all as a long 70s super robot show goes - plus it was doing "the whole base is a giant battleship" long before Dancouga.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I never actually realized there was a flashing sign telling you when a skill activated, is that new to Z2?

I also had forgotten just how blatantly crazy Heero was at times, its been so long since Wing that I forgot about everything but his Perfect Soldier (tm) gimmick entirely.

Bob Smith posted:

I've watched all of Voltes and it's not actually bad at all as a long 70s super robot show goes - plus it was doing "the whole base is a giant battleship" long before Dancouga.

Gaiking did it a year earlier, and it was much more pronounced there :eng101:

(Not that anyone cares about classic Gaiking)

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

TK-31 posted:

Gaiking did it a year earlier, and it was much more pronounced there :eng101:

(Not that anyone cares about classic Gaiking)

I wish more people did. Somebody needs to sub it. Any show whose main character is voiced by Akira Kamiya needs to be subbed.

KDavisJr
Jul 17, 2010

A real avatar never dies, even when it's replaced!

TheLastRoboKy posted:

The Song perfectly fits that attack. He's one shotting a bunch of Leos with the beam rifle, just like he did in episode 1. And laughing like a maniac in the process.

It's why he's the best Gundam Wing pilot :allears:

Also, I think The Wings of a Boy That Killed Adolescence is the official "OH poo poo IT'S A GUNDAM" of the series. It's the kind of song you stop whatever you doing at the time, and pay the gently caress attention!

I never played this game, but can you make that track Wing Gundam's default attack in all it's modes?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

KDavisJr posted:

I never played this game, but can you make that track Wing Gundam's default attack in all it's modes?

You can make any in-battle BGM (and a couple that are cutscene-only) the default track for any machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007

Pureauthor posted:

You can make any in-battle BGM (and a couple that are cutscene-only) the default track for any machine.

Or for your entire force.

Do you want your team's theme to be HEATS, or Kanjite Knight, or Sorairo Days, or Back Alley Space Boy? It's as easy as navigating a menu and pushing buttons.

• Locked thread