Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Wait, so this version of Dancougar has a token guy instead of a token girl? Is there some sort of wacky harem anime hijinks to go along with this? Or-

SRWZ posted:

CLEAVAGE
Ah, there we go then.

Actually, could someone more versed in Super Robots tell me about this one? Seems to me like a robot with a mostly female crew is the exception rather than the rule.

Also, since this game uses Shin Mazinger, I'm assuming that (not sure if this is a spoiler or not but better safe than sorry) Tetsuya and Great Mazinger never show up? Cuz if so that's a drat shame, it's been one of the better units in every SRW game I've played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Son Ryo posted:

I'm not sure which one you think is the girl, but Dancouga Nova has two male and two female pilots. Sakuya and Johnny are both guys.

Wait seriously? Huh, usually I'm pretty good at spotting that now.

For the record, I thought Sakuya was a girl, his looks and name seem more girlish than Johnny to me.

Edit: Thanks for the prompt response ImpAtom, I shall duly avoid this one then.

Alacron fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jun 10, 2012

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Omnicrom posted:

In SEED it was because the writers were hacks. Haros are there mostly because people like Haros and the goal is that by proxy they'll like SEED, there is absolutely no reason why Athrun made Lacus and pile of Haros to follow he around. It's the same reason why SEED DESTINY doesn't bother making new mass produced mobile suits for ZAFT and just brings back the Zaku, Gouf, and Dom.

Wait, I never watched SEED, and pretty much my entire experience with it is through SRW J, so what? Are you saying that they didn't make new MS designs for DESTINY and just used the old ones from SEED, or that they literally used Zakus, Goufs and Doms? Cause if so, then that's pretty :psyduck:

Alacron fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jun 11, 2012

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Spiritus Nox posted:

They made some new designs, but the new mainstays of the Zaft fleet are slightly re-designed Zakus - excuse me, Zaft Armed Keepers of Unity. :v:

Honestly, I'd be able to forgive that (I mean, the GINN was basically a Zaku with useless wings anyway) if the rest of the show weren't poo poo.

Yeah that's what I was confused about, I remember the GINN from SRW and how much it looked like a Zaku so I was pretty confused.

Out of curiosity I just went to the Gundam Wiki (unsurprisingly there's a Gundam Wiki) and looked up the ZAKU, GOUF and DOM. And here I was under the impression that SEED DESTINY ripped off Zeta Gundam :v:

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Always good to see an update from this thread.

As for stupid names, Ribbons is still pretty dumb, but it loses some of its kick when in season 2 of Gundam 00 people refer to a character as Mr Bushido (or "Meestah Bushido" if you want to be phonetic) with a straight face

So here's a quick question I just thought of, they said that there was another set of pilots for Dancouga Nova before Aoi and co right? But when we saw Dancouga in earlier missions its pilot was an AI, so was that intentional misdirection or can Dancouga actually be piloted by computer?

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
My biggest experience with Getter Robo was through Alpha Gaiden, so seeing these new (or not so new if I understand correctly) designs on the pilots is pretty awesome. Each of them looks like they want to murder someone and quite frankly I love it.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Drop the Nova Eagle and...... the Brasta, because this is the non-canon route so try something different. :colbert:

So I'm not entirely clear on what just happened, the Macross was in its own world and just suddenly got sucked into the world that everyone else is in? Was it in a world of its own, or the world from Z1? What's a "fold"? Am I a dumbass and forgetting stuff that's already been explained?

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Throwin in a vote for GOONZ :patriot:

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
As someone whose never seen Eureka 7, I have to say that the animation of Nirvash attacking looked awful. Just a shitload of pointless flipping around before it shot a bunch of lasers and... slashed with a knife I guess. Can't say that I'm a fan of how it looks either, or that it's AI can apparently only communicate through anime "Uguu~"s. I imagine that would get really annoying, really fast.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I forget, is Elgan Roddick from something, or is he an original character like Crowe?

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

AradoBalanga posted:

He's a Banpresto Original like Crowe. Although, like Traiya, despite Elgan having a large role in the Z2 games, he does not have a voice actor.

Thanks, it can be hard to keep track when I already don't know half of the series that appear in this game :v:

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Man, Kittan is so awesome, I don't know or care if he's a lovely unit, you need to use Kittan all the time :allears:

I'm not sure why I like him so much. Maybe it's the voice acting, or the animation but it makes him seem really enthusiastic and energetic.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

booksnake posted:

That fistbump at the end. :allears:

SRW at its finest.

Right at the end of that video, when Trider and Zambot had their hands up I was literally going, "Fist bump. C'mon fist bump. You know you want to- Yessssssssss."

These games.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
:neckbeard:

Really glad you're giving this another shot, it really can't be said enough how awesome you are for doing all this Caphi.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Um, I really have no preference at this point so Do whatever the post the post above this one says

So can someone explain Eureka 7 for me? I'm guessing that the writing on the moon is a reference to something, maybe from Z1? I'm assuming that the whole rapid aging thing wasn't in the TV show version, (I haven't seen either version of E7) is this why people tend to not like the movie version? From what little I can gather the Gekko crew seems to be a bunch of douchebags. Is the rapid aging thing as nonsensical as it seems right now? Is it this weird in the movie?

I feel like I can mostly follow what's going on with other series stories, particularly the ones that I know better, but the E7 stuff just leaves me a strange mixture of confused and bored.

Edit: If your problem is that you age too fast, why would you call yourselves "Children of Neverland" or whatever? The whole thing with Neverland was that they didn't age.

Alacron fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Aug 19, 2013

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

AradoBalanga posted:

Welcome to the madness that is the Eureka 7 movie. It is literally "Here, let's take some fun and interesting characters, poo poo all over their development and previously established personalities, and while we're at it, make everything stupid."

:siren:Some Eureka 7 movie spoilers:siren:
The whole concept of the movie is just baffling, ranging from stupid rewrites to characterizations to blatant recycled animation from the TV series with revised dialogue. Yes, a movie with a slightly higher budget resorted to recycling animation from the TV series. As for what's going on, part of the movie revolves around Eureka being considered this magical fairy figure (think Tinkerbell) that'll guarantee entrance to Neverland. Except she sort of is and sort of isn't. The game will probably get into that soon. Also, the film implies that "Neverland" is essentially the universe from the TV series, as others have mentioned. So yeah. There's more that's just :barf: inducing due to the more disturbing subject matter, but I'm going to avoid that part for now.

Personally, go watch the TV series. It's a great show and entertaining. Avoid the movie like it's a goddamn pandemic-level plague.

Oh yeah, I vaguely recall something about Renton writing on the moon.

Man, this game is seriously packed to the gills. I'd totally forgotten that E7 and Dancouga were in Z2 until this update. It's really hard to keep track of all this poo poo.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

BlitzBlast posted:

Celestial Being, Ranka.

Sure. First off, let's establish something: E7's movie happens in an alternate dimension from the E7 TV show. This is incredibly important since the main goal of Movie Gekkostate is to get to the TV world.

Everything begins when a couple of kids and a few adults get caught up in an experiment going wrong or something. The details escape me, but the main thing is that poo poo hit the fan so hard the dimension broke. The people caught in the incident were suddenly aged a ton (two of them dying from it), and all of them saw something through the freaky dimensional void: a moon with writing on it. This is a direct reference to E7's anime ending, where Renton quite literally writes his love for Eureka on the moon.

Getting back to the movie, the newly-aged adults quickly find out that they're screwed. Turns out that when they suddenly grew up, that accelerated time thing didn't just end. So now they're aging so fast that they're going to die soon, no matter how many drugs they shoot into their system. Rather than just giving up and dying, however, they cling to the hope that if they go to that world with the moon (or in their words, "Neverland") they'll be saved. Their justification for this is that the E7 movie world has a fairy tale (that is very clearly a summarized version of the E7 anime) in which a Not Eureka and Not Renton do... something, I don't really remember this part that well. Main thing to keep in mind is that the Movie Gekkostate seek to recreate the events of the fairy tale because that will open a way to the anime's world.

Oh, and all of these kids didn't actually have names or anything; they were all test subjects, hence Talho calling Holland that weird name. This makes it kind of hard for them to do much, so they kill a ton of people and steal their identities. Note that this is the probable reason why all of the E7 movie characters suck so much; they're not ex-military dudes/legitimate pros like the anime's Gekkostate, they're just a bunch of kids playing pretend.

Most people don't like the movie because

they see it like this, which is completely missing the point. Said point is something that Z2 will probably get into eventually so I won't mention it.

One last note: ImpAtom is completely right. It may sound like I'm defending the movie, but I'm really not. It had a cool premise and a great message, but it just utterly failed the execution. I'd consider the two hours I spent watching the thing a waste to be honest.

:tipshat: Thank you Goonsir, that does indeed sound way more interesting on paper than what's actually been presented.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I would like to see an Eva-Lagann, though that thought only came about because I want to see what would happen if Kamina ever met Gendou. :shobon:

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
You know, I remember the first time I played a SRW game years ago, and all I was interested in was the Gundams, I saw Banjou getting a lot of screen-time (no idea what was being said since I don't know Japanese) and thinking

:smug:: Who's this fuckin guy? I'll bet he's super lame.

I was very, very wrong.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Look, we all know that best pilot for the Turn-A is the one and only, Quattro Vagina Bajeena, end of story.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Dark Continent

Does this game have a lot of route splits, or is this average for a SRW game? It seems like whenever you get the gang back together you have to split them up again.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Hellioning posted:

No Chibodee? Because I want the Gundam Max Revolver in more things.

What is this and why have I never heard about it until now? :stare:

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

AradoBalanga posted:

Heh. Marin calling himself an alien is hilarious if you're familiar with Baldios.

If it's alright with Brunom and Dr. Pepper, I'll elaborate here on that since it's a GIGANTIC end-game plot spoiler for both Z1 and Baldios itself.

Also, brace yourselves folks. Norio Wakamoto is about crash into view at top speed with his Moon Will performance.

Didn't Wakamoto also voice Charles in Code Geass? Would be a shame if Moon WILL gets iced before they have a chance to have a Wakamoto-off. :allears:

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I like it when Amuro gets to play mentor to other Gundam characters.

You know what, actually I just like Amuro in general. Kind of a shame that he's usually relegated to side character in these games since they're probably not gonna do the One-Year War again.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

TwoPair posted:

Hey, they have cars with legs. And everything runs on Spiral Power which is totally (quite literally) green. It's an infinitely renewable energy source Spiral Nemesis be damned. Our pithy society has yet to beat that.

I always wondered about that, does everyone start their cars by punching in their spiral keys and giving a super hot-blooded scream?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
This has been a great thread and I'm glad to have seen start and end. Great job Caphi.

• Locked thread