Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

Oh hey, I haven't really ventured into the LP subforum since I stopped the SRW3 LP but it's nice to see all these other mecha LPs have sprung up in the meantime.

SRW Z and Z2 were the first games where I just started skipping through all the text instead of reading a plot synopsis-- my Japanese skills are very much not up to par (yet), but I'm pretty unsatisfied with the way MNeidengard conducts himself. Something like this is perfect for finding out what actually happened during all those stages I played through, and I've had quite a few surprises already-- mostly to do with the Celestial Being stuff.

Speaking of the SRW3 LP, I was thinking of restarting it, but I guess I should hold off on that at least until Caphi finishes the fine work he's doing here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007

Alacron posted:

Wait, so this version of Dancougar has a token guy instead of a token girl? Is there some sort of wacky harem anime hijinks to go along with this? Or-

Ah, there we go then.

Actually, could someone more versed in Super Robots tell me about this one? Seems to me like a robot with a mostly female crew is the exception rather than the rule.

I'm not sure which one you think is the girl, but Dancouga Nova has two male and two female pilots. Sakuya and Johnny are both guys.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007

TK-31 posted:

I'm one of the five people who actually liked Nova, I thought the characters given how little development they had, though SRW improves the general blandness of it all a lot, as it is known to do.

Even if Nova hadn't been kind of subpar overall, I probably wouldn't have liked it because I actually really liked the original Dancouga (though I'm apparently in the minority there?) and I was hoping for something a little more relevant to it.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007

vilkacis posted:

What have they done to this poor robot? Haros are supposed to be green, man, green.

I still don't understand why they've been putting Haros in everything since SEED.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007

Alacron posted:

Wait, I never watched SEED, and pretty much my entire experience with it is through SRW J, so what? Are you saying that they didn't make new MS designs for DESTINY and just used the old ones from SEED, or that they literally used Zakus, Goufs and Doms? Cause if so, then that's pretty

They made a few new ones, but yeah, they literally reused Zakus, Goufs, and Doms. Except now ZAKU is some awful acronym, Zaft something Keeper of Unity I think.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007

Silentman0 posted:

Gundam series that don't have Haro in them are actually more rare than the ones that do. I think G, Wing, and Turn-A are the only series that don't?

I don't think X did either. But it at least makes sense for them to appear in all the Universal Century series.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007

He's not the greatest unit ever, but he's far from unusable. He was one of my mainstays in Z2.2 even when the moon wasn't out.

Of course, that may have had something to do with the fact that he was the first unit I fully upgraded, but...

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007

Caphi posted:

I like how all the change is just making them more flexible and looking more dynamic and less like block toys.

I mean that seriously. Obari is awesome. I love Gravion and Dancouga (the robots, that is, though I like Gravion too).

Funny, I like the originals better for pretty much all of those. They're robots, they SHOULD look stiff and blocky and imposing. If they get dynamic in combat, then that's all the more impressive.

Also, Obari's designs have way too many spiky protrusions that don't really seem to serve any purpose.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007

Drop the Nova Eagle and the Deathscythe.

I feel kinda sorry for the Nova Eagle. It's not a bad unit, but it's just so bland.

As for Frontier, it's in the unique position of being the only Macross I don't like. I kind of felt like it was pandering too much to different viewerbases to try and get more viewers with stuff like loli Clan Clan and the Pinpoint Barrier Punches being dropped in favor of the lameo beam swords, and that really weakened the show for me.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007

Broken Loose's math is a little off, you should actually be removing 11, not 9. At any rate, I vote for:
    Trider G7
    Gaia/Godmars
    Wing Gundam
    Gundam Exia
    Gundam Virtue
    Getter Robo
    Mazinger Z
    Dai-Guard
    Gurren-Lagann
    VF-25G (Michel)
    Koenig Monster
    Brasta

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007

Caphi posted:

Hi, we're like five posts from the next page. Is that a huge issue or should I just go ahead? Maybe merely talking about it will solve the problem!

Since we're this close anyway, might as well finish this page off.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007

JamMasterJim posted:

One after the other and go with the Ptolemy

I'll third this.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007

I gotta say, if there's one thing I thought Z2 got very wrong it's Dancougar Final's Dancouken animation. Imitating a camera like that just takes all sense of speed and power out of the attack.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007

Thirding the vote to bench Trider. All he really adds is more PP, which just makes an already too easy game even easier. I wouldn't mind seeing a little more Virtue, though, as long as we're talking about deploying more Gundams.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007

Daler Mehndi posted:

I never thought about this until now, but is it possible to give suborders to the battleship captains in the intermission menu? I don't remember doing that, but I always assumed that was because you can't use pilots deployed in the previous mission, and battleships always auto-deploy.

You usually can't but it's possible after the beginning of a route split. I found it was a great way to make a lot of money since battleship captains tended to be among my highest level pilots-- especially Sumeragi, for obvious reasonq.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007

Wounded Land posted:

I forgot how drat ridiculous Nadleeh looks. Did Tiera really think it was important that his Gundam have streamers, and did he also opt for a banana seat?

I guess it would look pretty ridiculous if I hadn't seen the actual show. Those are actually the wires that connect Nadleeh to the Virtue parts.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007

Definitely go with the peacekeeping council if for no other reason than that it has a higher number of different series so the plot should be more interesting.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007

S.D. posted:

Has Orguss appeared in any Super Robot Wars games before Z? I just have this mental image of the scenario writer (or writers) cackling gleefully that they no longer have to justify explaining why there are all these giant robots are on earth - "a bomb did it".

Also, I'm saddened that Z2 did not take a chance to bring in Orguss 02, the bad OAV sequel to the original Orguss TV series (although I'm told that Orguss wasn't really great either).

'Wasn't really great' is about the only way to describe Orguss, as someone who regularly watches all the shows that get into SRW. It certainly wasn't boring-- it managed to keep my attention throughout the whole series, which is more than I can say for God Mars-- but it was really only barely above average. But to my knowledge (which really just means I don't want to look it up, but I'm pretty sure) Orguss was never in a SRW game before Z.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007

Wounded Land posted:

I love Rand far far more... at least until the upgrade, which is one of those upgrades I wish the game would take back.

Why? It's not like the unit looks (or even behaves, as far as I remember) any differently aside from the two new attacks you get. If you don't like them, nobody's forcing you to use them.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007

StrifeHira posted:

Speaking of tracks that could have been added, really hope Z3 or something brings back this little bit from Turn A: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1Ywxy5m9zg#t=216s

The day there's a new handheld SRW or something non-"main" with TTGL thrown in, you just know GX, Turn A, and/or Xabungle are all coming along for the ride. Maybe Mazinkaiser SKL too. And wouldn't be too much a stretch to tie DOME/the Black History/TTGL's later plot together.

It's funny you say that because there was just a new handheld SRW announced with TTGL and none of those other series.

It's a shame because I'd really liked to have seen GX done in Neo's system.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007

SaitoBatch posted:

So here's my question, can someone explain how ATs can go into space and not utterly suck? I honestly want to call BS, but I know your team can do it with not space mechas like Arm Slaves in other SRT games.

Serperoth posted:

I'm no good at SRW (haven't even finished OG), but I presume one would use adaptor parts (Thruster Module it was called? Not sure), that would raise the AT's Space rating to A (or S?).

Actually, ATs have in-universe (as in, from VOTOMs) space adaptor parts, and some ATs are specifically designed for space combat. After all, the show doesn't just take place on one planet, and though SRW doesn't really go out of its way to make it obvious, the pilot suits also double as space suits.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007

Seeing that statsheet again reminds me what a drat shame it is that the Destiny's Palma Fiocina isn't a proper attack in Z or Z2. I don't think it is in any of the DS games either, come to think of it.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007

Omnicrom posted:

[The Palma Fiocina has] never been its own attack, maybe not anywhere actually.

It is in the G Generation games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXaYFUJRl6s#t=50s

Of course, it's classified as a hand-to-hand attack and used that way even by pilots that specialize in ranged attacks, which brings with it a whole 'nother set of complaints, but that's neither here nor there.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007

Caphi posted:

tl;dr: The gameplay is what killed me. If an opportunity comes to do the writing part, shoot me a line.

I'll think about it if I can get recording working; I've never been able to get that PC plugin working on my PSP. It's either that or restart my SRW3 LP and god knows I'd enjoy playing the Z series way more.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007

I personally wouldn't care if you skipped the gameplay stuff when it comes to Z2. I'm here for the story-- MNeidengard's one-and-a-half steps removed summaries are a step too far removed for me, I can't stand them. This is much more interesting.

You could also try to get in contact with the group working on a translation patch for the Z2 games and see if they need any help. I think they've already got one guy working on the story but I could be wrong.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007

I'd like to vote for Getter Robo, Shinn, Kamille, and Garrod and against Dancouga Nova if possible.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007

Broken Loose posted:

The thing about Baldios is that it's 3 units combined, and Marin's unit is a ship equipped with a hyperspace drive (as are most S-1 ships). It's how he got to Earth from S-1 in the first place. Everybody owes it to themself to at least see the movie version of Baldios; it's not "sit through 30 episodes" good but it's certainly 2.5 hours good.

The movie version is good, but like all summary movies it's fairly disjointed; I really hope the series gets properly subbed at some point, especially since the thing that interested me the most from Z and what I was really hoping to see the origin of (the Baldirosier) didn't appear in the movie.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007

thetruegentleman posted:

Honestly though, I'd rather give Simon the chance to escape Kamina's shadow, since he never really does in his own series as the result of the tonal shift.

I'm glad that I'm not the only one to think this.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007

Celestial Being, Sheryl.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007

Wasn't that guy basically just transcribing MNeidengard's guide with the pictures, though? Anyone can read the guide but I'm much more interested in the conversations like this LP has shown us.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007

Well, that's completely awesome. Guess I'd better check that out then.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007

Wow, that name change bothers me a lot more than I would have expected it to considering Getter Robo's my second favorite mecha franchise. Still, I've got to at least give it a chance... I'm sure I'll get used to it eventually. If it still bugs me this much after a few more updates I could just go find a word filter or something and change it back.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007

Gotta go with Baldios and also Garrod because it's just not fair he got poo poo on so much by the devs in this game and then in a game with a quasi-squad system where he might actually have a chance to shine again, he gets removed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007

If nobody else steps up to do Z2-2, I certainly will. I'm still kind of sad that my SRW3 LP petered out but my screenshot issues further compounded the already aggravating gameplay, which certainly wouldn't be a problem with Z2-2, and I've been messing around with capturing stuff from my PSP recently and it seems to work decently well. Plus, I'd really like to know more about the story of Z2-2-- I had basically no idea about the story of any of the Z games when I played them but I've been amazed by everything I've seen in both the Z and Z2 LPs so far and it'd be a shame if we never saw that for Z2-2.

• Locked thread