Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Oh Gravion. Caphi seriously undersells the Grankaiser in Z1, it was actually a legitimately good unit in that game even before you got it upgraded to Gravion all the time. It had a good TRI Attack and an actually quite powerful and cheap ranged weapon. It was a tad hard to get to 130 morale early on, but Touga had a really cheap version of Yell so you could use his SP as a stopgap and then rely on the other 5 pilots to fuel God Gravion. It did eventually start to become less useful, but unlike the Nova Eagle by the time it had started to really lag behind it became Gravion full-time.

As for Gravion the series its fun but insubstantial. I give kudos to Obari Obari-ing it up. Having him go full Obari with all the dramatic Obari poses does a good job hiding how cheap the show was.

ImpAtom posted:

The UX originals are part of a PMC I believe.

Well initially. In UX the hero and his rival are part of a PMC initially, but the hero ends up being recruited by "Unknown Xtrikers" which is a more standard SRW group. His rival meanwhile joins a secret organization trying to prevent the resurrection of the goddess of destruction. Also after the game's first act (Since its on the 3DS it has 3 parts) "Unknown Xtrikers" is renamed "Ultimate Xross".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Caphi posted:

Sorry, but I couldn't get it to take a hit properly and Touga's lack of Prevail didn't help. It was still definitely both cooler and more destructive than Nova Eagle, though.

For me it didn't take hits, it was actually quite dodgy in my experience. And since I spent my time angling to get kills for Touga I didn't often have to worry about counters.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

TK-31 posted:

Wait UX is a 3-parter? :psyduck: That game must feel rushed as heck. I'm a bit surprised they went ahead and did something like that without Age though.

No like Arado said it's a story divided into 3 parts in the same way that SRW W was divided into 2 parts. The game clearly delineates itself into 3 story sections: each with their own title, there is a time skip of varying length between each of them (Which is why they have both Fafner and the Heaven and Earth movie as plot important series), and different series come in and out of focus as the plot progresses.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

ImpAtom posted:

Aquarion's biggest problem (and it isn't really a problem) is that a bunch of its gimmicks are nearly worthless. You CAN switch out the pilots or change to other versions of Aquarion, but Solar Aquarion with the default trio handles pretty much every situation that you can expect to come up. (And at least in Z1, is also the recipient of most of the upgrades, most of which are pilot-locked.)

Z1 helps this a bit by giving you the Vector Aquarion for the other characters to use, but that sadly doesn't show up in Z2.

This is quite true, the default Apollo/Sirius/Sylvia combination is basically the best. And abusing the Element System more or less requires you to use only 3 anyways. Pity there was that long stretch in the endgame where Sirius wasn't usable, Pierre wasn't nearly as good a replacement. The MP Aquarions were finicky units but at least you had a use for the other pilots.

As for the Aquarion anime it's weird. My problem with it is that when it was in the first part and doing zany comedy I kept waiting for the plot to get back into focus, and then when the plot started I started to pine for the zany comedy. Though watching it followed by Aquarion EVOL is a hell of a trip, Kawamori clearly didn't give a gently caress and that last reveal about Polon was one of the most insane trolls I've ever witnessed.

GilliamYaeger posted:

Oh, Aquarion. All I did with it was give it a couple of Morale boosting gear to get it up to 130 will at the start of a mission, Hit and Away, and all the range boosting items I could get a hold of.

1-17 range Mugen Punch every single turn. It was amazing.

Reminds me of what I did with @3. I powered on the Ideon Gun with a pair of Range boosters and sat back and out-ranged Keisar Ephes. It's surprisingly easy to cut someone down to size with 16000 power at 17 range.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

My favorite bit of Aquarion in Z1 doesn't even involve Aquarion. On Rand's route before the Aquarion joins for real it shows up a couple of times as a temporary unit. In one particular mission everyone is thrilled when they hear that 3 large Jets are coming towards the battlefield, but are disappointed when the jets arrive and combine into the Getter Dragon. The combination of the Getter Team being gung-ho and ready to help and ZEUTH being confused about who they are is lovely.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

ImpAtom posted:

IT makes more sense in Z1, where it is an ALL attack and each part of FootSwordCube hits a different enemy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrZSUvfSXsU

I don't think Aquarion is that great a series, but goddamn it is a hell of a trip.

veekie posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ew2euFH2JM

How the gently caress did that work?!

Aquarion does whatever the gently caress it wants.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Caphi posted:

Next stage is a shitton of text with some planes blowing up. I'm getting increasingly tempted to just link to streaming episodes of Code Geass during the Area 11 routes.

I had completely forgotten that C.C.'s crazy fanboy was in Z2.1. Honestly his presence makes very little sense because even covering whole series he would be a good thing to skip. Code Geass is one of the shows that gets the most attention and is very central to the overall plot, but frankly the dude wasn't really important even in the series. If Banpresto really felt they couldn't live without those episodes in their game they should have combined it with another event and run it in the dialogue scenes in the background. It's what they did in @3 for the GaoGaiGar episodes when the Primevals attack the orbit base and it's how they always run the SEED episode where Athrun and Cagalli are marooned on an island. It seems standard practice for important character focused dialogue scenes, pretty much because they don't have giant robot action to stick the gameplay on.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Giovanni_Sinclair posted:

Isn't all SEED character better in Super Robot Wars?

Basically. Without the Writer and Director playing favorites you can actually do real characterization.

And I was going to correct Caphi about Aggressive Beast actually granting 1.2x power but no, I double checked and they did nerf it for Z2. A pity, it wasn't in L and it was also 10% up in UX. Aggressive Beast was 20% up in @3 and J but it seems with UX they're phasing out 20% boosters like Mazinpower and making it 10% up usually.

Viola the Mad posted:

Hey, if you want Nirvash, vote for Nirvash. :)

Just out of curiosity, could you put up with Destiny in Z? I'm not familiar with the game or the anime myself, but everyone agrees that Z Destiny is better than Seed Destiny.

You heard correctly, DESTINY got serious revisions in Z all around.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

SaitoBatch posted:

I guess they couldn't just use pre-recorded stuff for those two huh? I guess it might just be a matter of pride...or not finding anyone else willing to do the voices.

Well as I've mentioned Cagalli's VA apparently did some lines for a commercial for a Gundam SEED DESTINY game so there's a slim chance we might get her back in voiced SRW games. I've got no news on Dearka however.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

ImpAtom posted:

There's actually an amazing scenario on the Z Special Disc which revolves around a group of the SRW lesser villains forming their own team to battle shittier evil. You get people like Jerid Messa and Mouer or the Extendeds from SEED Destiny or so-on. One of those guys is Beck, who begins in his lovely robot and then heroically upgrades midway through to the Beck RX-3.

There's also a scenario where Roger Smith assists town where a group of mooks from each of the major villain factions have banded together Seven Samurai style to protect the village. It's a scenario where your team is entirely faceless mook pilots and Roger Smith fighting a swarm of enemies and it is awesome.

Well I need to go get Special Disc now I guess. The only scenarios I know of are when a bunch of secondary bad guys fight Black Charisma and the fight with XAN, but Roger Smith and the 7 Mooks has convinced me to throw money at the screen.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Dr Pepper posted:

Setsuna and Heero continue to have the best conversations. :allears:

Dang Crowe, you just can't catch a break with your debt, can you?

No, he can't. The very final piece of text in Z2.2 is a window showing Crowe's newest debt. In fact Crowe is so bad with money it becomes a major plot point.

As for the Spigots in Z2.2 the Brasta has both the range and melee versions because it's respecced to be good at both types of combat. They even change the animation of ACP Faiz to reflect this.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

That pre-mission scene...If Caphi does get all the way done with these games I really do suggest you come back through the games and appreciate how much foreshadowing the games do.

It might not be immediately clear but when Musashi is shouting "Avalance rolls down the mountain!" he's doing the Judo throw that he adapted to be used for Getter 3. Frankly I love scenes where the heroes kick rear end even without their mecha, I'm reminded of a similar scene in @3 where the Alpha Numbers fight the Zonder primevals. That was fun because they got to yell at Kira some more.

Amazingly after all these years this is the first time I've ever realized that Baldios sword is "Pulsaber" instead of "Bal Saber". I had always heard Marin yelling it as "Bal Saber" like it was named for Baldios, but no I just went and checked the Z attack viewer and it is indeed "Pulsaber". Similarly I had thought that Godsigma's special attack was "Sigma Blast" instead of "Sigma Breast". You learn something everyday.

Honestly I think Baldios was hit drat hard by the somewhat inexplicable increase to the EN cost for most ZEUTH robot attacks. I believe that Pulsaber (had to stop myself from writing Bal Saber) was free and I know Thunder Crash and its other attacks didn't cost as much. Most of Godsigma's attacks have roughly the same cost they used to have, it's just that everyone else has their costs raised to be similar to Godsigma but without the ability to Trinity Charge. Also you can no longer set up squads to give Supers energy regeneration so costs are more extreme.

Speaking of which I heard somewhere that planet S-1 in Baldios was actually Earth in the past and they were therefore the cause of the loss of their own homeworld. Is this Baldios anime spoiler actually true?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Caphi posted:

"Dringing," actually. I'm told that it's some bastardization of "drilling" because he spins the sword, and this makes no sense so I applied License. :eng101:

Pulsaber Dringing is actually somehow slightly more incoherent than Balsaber Drinking to me. I thought it was supposed to be a pun on Marin, his special attack is "Drinking" because it sounds like "Marine". And frankly I'm of the opinion that Drinking or Dringing that animation just doesn't make a lot of sense.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I had a laugh at the combat lines against Timp, Gainer's on the nose insults and Crowe's unrepentant money-grubbing were great.

And as for Kamina, I gotta say that in some ways he was living on borrowed time. Kamina is one of a handful of series character who really HAVE to die for the purposes of the plot (callous as that is to say). Simon really can't get his later development unless Kamina is out of the way. Since Z2 is intending to cover all of Gurren Lagann across its games that means that unfortunately Kamina was going to have to die for the plot. Though to be fair following the very stupid character resurrection they do near one end of Z2.2 I guess I could see Kamina surviving, but no matter what there's no way Kamina could continue to pilot the Lagann from here on.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Let's Unleash the Tornado!

You know exactly what I mean Caphi.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

ImpAtom posted:

The thing with the Eureka 7 movie is that it has a good thesis but it is presented in an absolutely terrible way which undermines the concept. It really hurts it because to work it needs to be as good or even better than the original show and it really really isn't.

This gets at the most baffling thing in the movie for me, I simply don't get why it was made. Pocketful of Rainbows is like a lot of anime movies in that it's aiming to run the same beats and plot points as the series with a different twist to them. The point of these half-remake movies is a certain amount of fan appeal, you get to see the show/premise/characters you like in a new and different way. Let's take Zeta Gundam, A New Translation as an example of the pseudo-recap. Whether you like those movies or not you get why they were made, how they are meant to appeal, and who the target is. In the case of ANT the appeal of seeing the greatest hits of famous Gundam characters and some new character or action scenes with them is incredibly obvious.

A half-remake is there in large part to cash in on the fandom, which is why I don't get the E7 movie. Eureka 7's movie is downright bizarre to me because it feels like a lot of the characterization and story choices were made to intentionally rankle the fanbase. It's not merely that they chose to do things different from the series in the movie, it's that it seems like they chose to make the movie intentionally offensive to the established fanbase by writing a story that is diametrically opposed to the anime series. I just can't fathom the line of thinking that went into the movie. It's one thing to make it a point that these are different people from the series, but it's entirely another to make it a point that these are WORSE people than in the series.

Dr Pepper posted:

All you need to know about Zambot 3 is that it was directed by Yoshiyuki Tomino while he was in one of his moods.

Zambot 3 is the series that gave him the nickname "Kill-em-all Tomino". He literally made a point of killing the dog! And incidentally I feel Zambot 3 is one of Tomino's best work. If Zeta or Victory Gundam turned you off his work I do suggest checking it out.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Genaro posted:

And then he did that other series with the world introduced in Dunbine! Who could ever forget Garzey's Wing?

I'd been trying to you bastard!

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

GodofDiscord posted:

Oh yay, finally we can deal with Trinity jackasses. I expect the complete and total :black101: of the Trinities, Caphi. I will wait for that day patiently.

Well the day we finally put a fork in those bastards is coming, but it can't come soon enough.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Onmi posted:

The Z series in general is very good about setting up it's original protagonists with the licensed characters, more so than the usual "Okay we went to high school with Kouji Kabuto. And that's about it really."

Granted the Z games PERIOD are good with character interaction.

It's something they've gotten better at over the years, on and off. And it isn't necessarily just the newest games that are good at it, Mist being an insufferable poo poo precludes him actually forming good friendships with other series characters in K.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

The scene with Treize I really like because it shows that Banpresto really GETS the characters they're using. The conversation between him and Amuro and giving Amuro his blessing to leave both really represent Treize and his ideals and internal landscape very well.

There's also the neat bit of having Kira acting as Computer Wunderkind for the CB Gundams. Banpresto is also good at remembering even incidental or secondary details in the characters they use and applying them in crossovers. One of the really good scenes in SRW J for instance all hinge on them remembering one of the pilots of Voltes V is a Ninja.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Ardeem posted:

I think my favorite programmer in a giant robot story is Stelvia of the Universe... Did that ever make it into a SRW game?

Sadly no.

ImpAtom posted:

It comes up a few times during the show actually. It's post Freedom that it gets forgotten.

This is true, in SEED there's a couple of times where Kira's programming chops are plot important. But that's generally to improve or modify the Strike in some way. After the Freedom he never needs to really tinker with it because it's fine from the get-go.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

ImpAtom posted:

Al Da Flaga funded the Ultimate Coordinator project and official errata material lists Rau and Rey as Coordinators. Games go back and forth on it. Prayer is iffer since he's only confirmed as a Coordinator in one of the sequels after he becomes a Carbon Human. (And boy is everything connected to that stupid as gently caress.) A few games have given them the Coordinator attribute but what games usually do is instead give them the "Spatial Awareness" skill which is shorthand for "Newtype" and fits their units better. (Kira Yamato and Morgan Chevalier also get it.)

Basically blame SEED for being dumb. In Z it doesn't really matter because Z doesn't actually have a Coordinator special skill, only SEED.

Well you said it, SEED is dumb. Rau is a clone of Al Da Flaga. Al Da Flaga was not a coordinator but had Big Boss level genes. Therefore Rau is an artificial human but not a Coordinator by the definition of coordinator used in the series. Same applies to Prayer therefore.

Montegoraon posted:

Maybe. Now that I think about it, ZAFT must have had an equivalent to a natural-use OS as well, because they had at least one natural pilot in their forces: Rau Le Creuset. Prayer Reverie was also able to use a ZAFT mobile suit unaided.

No one knew Rau was a Natural. His super duper genes meant everyone though he was a Coordinator the whole time. Additionally...

veekie posted:

Wasn't Naturals unable to make Gundams work because the controls were just that complicated? Presumably you need to keep track of a dozen variables and inputs because gently caress automation.

The problem was the OS which was a buggy POS. They couldn't program a control system that would let them control the suits in any feasible way. Remember that ZAFT attacks before the Gundams are actually combat ready, and that all of the ZAFT kids program new OSes on the fly to use the stolen gundams. The Zaft OS worked perfectly fine, it just required you to be a coordinator superman to use it for some reason. The "Natural Use OS" that Kira made is probably just a simplified, scaled down version that automates the stuff the Coordinators weren't willing to to show off their inherent superiority or something.

The OS thing is such a weird thing. SEED technology barely aspires to coherent sense to begin with, but it seems unfeasible to me that despite months of effort and the data from the Strike they were unable to make a Natural use OS. Additionally the OS lets a mobile suit run fine while being simpler, so why didn't the Coordinators make something like that for themselves if it was just as good and easier to run? Presumably the Druggies used a Natural OS and they kicked rear end, or did they actually use a Coordinator OS and needed the drugs to keep up? And exactly why were the Coordinator OSes impossible to use? Did the EA never try to adapt them or downscale them? Could they really not train someone to use a Coordinator OS? Or where they hidden behind unbreakable data locks like the one Kira whipped up on the fly? And do they know how silly "Unbreakable Data Lock" is?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

veekie posted:

Well, if it were to make sense, I'd think that Coordinator-OS exposes a lot more variables for you to control, giving you full control access over all the individual thrusters and joints so you can use Coordinator superman powers to squeeze out every last bit of performance and do crazy maneuvers by allocating individual thrust amounts to make your robot do a ballet, while a Natural pilot doesn't want or need all these damned inputs, just the ability to make move, dodge the more obvious attacks and use the arms to hold and fire guns.

Based off that, Natural-OS obfuscates all those detailed controls to exchange for broad directions. You specify your direction of movement and the computer uses the movement patterns for the terrain to do the walking. You lock a target and the arms move and fire(though that means you don't really have any advantage to arms, since you might as well use hardpoint mounted weapons) for you. You probably want to avoid close combat since it's going to be finicky as hell. And the druggies likely use Coordinator-OS because of the performance gaps.

The problem is that they never go into this at all in SEED. I would also assume this how the OSes are different, but they never say as much, it's never relevant to the plot, and therefore the OSes are just a poorly implemented Plot Device (In SEED? Perish the thought I know).

As for the most recent update I have to say that Japanese Salarymen with Giant Robots are awesome and Ime Liard deserves every death you can heap on him because he's a lovely person.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Spiritus Nox posted:

Aim's developing into a bastard.

Caphi will certainly be agreeing with you later on. Remember that Ime still has a ??? skill that hasn't been shown off yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Spiritus Nox posted:

Huh. I almost forgot, but it's worth noting that in the actual show, Mao reveals Suzaku's deathwish well before Zero Geasses him to live. I kind of like this way. It's a nice gutpunch for Lelouche.

Yep. I wasn't a big fan of the Mao arc, I think it was overly long and overly filler. It also doesn't translate well to SRW because the majority of it is in the VN sections in the middle of the stage. However I think splitting it up was actually a wise idea to somewhat cut down on the concentrated length of the VN bits, and setting the second half with Suzaku's background after the LIVE command made the plot wor better. So while I'm still not thrilled about these stages I think the merest reshuffling of events has been an improvement.

Actually the best bit was the short interaction between Roger, Dorothy, and Mao. That not only ties into the Myth arc of SRWZ (and to a lesser extent the series as a whole), but shows how good Banpresto is at doing varied cross-series interactions with it's massive cast.

Hellioning posted:

Hey, in my defense Chirico doesn't do much. He kinda just stands there.

I sort of wish Chirico was more prominent in the Mao stuff. Seeing him absolutely non-plussed when Mao tries to psych him out would be wonderful.

• Locked thread