Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fred is on
Dec 24, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

Caphi posted:

Tetsuo, where did all my missiles go?
Um, er...
I'm so sorry, sir! We were forced to cut Trider's missile supply to fit the budget.
Seriously?
You'll have to use your melee weapons, sir!
Aww. Being a small company is hard.

I never liked Trider much at all, but okay, this is pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fred is on
Dec 24, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

I keep forgetting to say this, but here's a nitpick: I'm 99% sure it's Atami, unless they changed the city's name in SRW for some reason.

Fred is on
Dec 24, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

I just want to take a moment to marvel at how stupid Dancouga Nova's plot is.

I mean, silly mecha anime plots are nothing new, but for some reason this is the only show where it actually makes me kind of mad.

Fred is on
Dec 24, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

Caphi posted:

He wants her to add a kickass super move to the Nova Rhino, which currently turns into a useless weight when it becomes part of Dancouga Nova. She gets mad and tries to molest him.

Yeah, this poo poo is the sort of thing I was talking about when I complained about Dancougar Nova.

I also recall that Brian Steggmeyer guy being some kind of really heavy-handed dig at the Bush Jr. administration in the show. The terms "world police" were used, though to be fair that may have just been the fansubbers.

I don't know why I didn't just stop watching Dancougar Nova two or three episodes in.

Fred is on
Dec 24, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

So he is from 00! I guess my memories were confused. It's also possible both shows did something similar with their United States stand-in. I remember seeing a lot of hard-hitting political commentary about the US in anime before Obama got elected.

Then things got weirder but that's another story entirely.

Fred is on
Dec 24, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

Omnicrom posted:

A note on romanization: Soma's official last name spelling is "Pieres" and her unit is the Tieren "Taozi".

By the way, (don't click if you don't want to have as-of-yet unseen characters spoiled) this FAQ is a good one-stop place for romanized names. With a few minor exceptions, the characters and mechs are all listed with their official western romanizations, or at the very least whatever the fandom had agreed upon that week when there's no such thing available.

Fred is on
Dec 24, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

Again, this FAQ is a good cheat sheet for english names. It won't tell you who's who, but it's easy enough to guess, and a quick lookup could save you a lot of translation arguments. Unless trying to figure out insane anime romanization logic is fun for you, of course.

TwoPair posted:

Lelouche is sort of a real name?

A French last name, at least.

Omnicrom posted:

Finally Louise's last name is officially Harvey.

Are you sure? There's a fairly minor 00 character (who gets a lot more spotlight later in this game than I recall him ever having in the show) called Laguna Harvey, but he's not related to her as far as I can tell. Googling "Louise Harvey Gundam" turns up more hits about him than about her, too.

Fred is on
Dec 24, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

Mercury Crusader posted:

The trick to making Chirico withstand a hit: max upgrade the Scopedog's HP and Armor. Hell, 100% upgrade the whole mess

Usually when I do that then even without using Focus all regular enemies have a 0% hit rate on Chirico.

Which led me to using the strategy of having him rush straight for the boss ahead of everyone else, unbuffed, usually leading to the swift destruction of either party.

Fred is on
Dec 24, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

Getting back to Z2 talk for a bit, as much as I appreciate Code Geass' presence in Z2, I found the Area 11 path splits (yes, this is going to become a thing) kind of tiresome after a while. They usually consist of 90% Code Geass, with a bit of Gundam Wing and VOTOMS sprinkled in, and aside from a few tweaks pretty much play the show straight. I much prefer when SRW games mix things up like in the other path splits, or the admittedly really cool "Battling" mission from earlier.

Of course, all too often Z2.1's definition of mixing things up is to throw Dimensional Beasts at you. As fantastic a cast list as this game has, I don't care much for a lot of its missions.

Fred is on
Dec 24, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

Caphi posted:

Fly. You continue to fly.

I don't think I want to live in a world where these are the actual correct lyrics, but they really do make a lot of sense for Geass R2.

Fred is on
Dec 24, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

TwoPair posted:

Wow, I knew TTGL would get dragged into the main plot eventually, but I'd imagined they'd wait a little bit before bringing in everybody else. I mean, I get that from a gameplay standpoint you can't just have Lagann running missions entirely by itself, and players would be pissed if you suddenly took away all their other units all of a sudden, but kinda the whole point of early TTGL is a ragtag group with very limited arsenal against the world. But that feeling isn't really there when they immediately get an army of buddies to help them out.

Additionally, the presence of an airship (and indeed every single flying unit) is gonna really make the part where Gurren Lagann gets wings weird, since flying was supposed to be a big deal before then. Still, really interested to see how all these plots get woven together.

That's one unfortunate side-effect of transition to SRW: often you have to sacrifice interesting elements of a single series in order to make the rest work. The original Gundam isn't quite the same when Zeon can field forty Zakus in each battle, for instance, but Mazinger Z needs something to blow up.

One better way they could have done it in this case would be to match them up with one or two newcomer series before the whole gang rolled in, so you have some variety but not too much. Sadly I can't really think of anyone who'd fit the bill in this particular game, which is probably why it sort of gets introduced in a vacuum.

Fred is on
Dec 24, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

Sable Stormfront posted:

I could be mistaken since I can't actually read the description, but I thought the D-fault reduced damage by 1500, rather than nullifying damage below 1500. It definitely seemed that way while playing, since piercing attacks did so much more damage. Incidentally, this made a robot that shows up later one of my favorites, since it has so many piercing attacks.

That's the impression I got too and, I figured, part of why I hated fighting these things so much. I rely a lot on auto-counter, and 99% of the time it's fine because it only uses the strongest attack needed to kill the enemy, but the AI doesn't seem to take that barrier into consideration, and as a result you have a bunch of them with like 700 HP left flying around.

Unless I'm just completely wrong and misremembering, which is also possible.

Fred is on
Dec 24, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

Spiritus Nox posted:

It's a shame, because there's a handful of really decent cross-series friendships amongst the real robots - Z1 the aforementioned Shin and Kamille (and sort of the female protaganist), as well as a three way between the original Renton, Garrod, and Gainer.

Another Century's Episode 3 at least had a combo attack for that last trio, along with a few other really inspired ones, like Amuro/Holland/Fokker and Anemone/Cynthia/Quess. Of course, combination attacks in that game usually just consist of all units attacking at once with special dialogue, but it's still a really a nice touch.

Fred is on
Dec 24, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

dis astranagant posted:

They really, desperately need to put New Getter into a bigger game. I'd say Z3 but they probably don't want it to turn into Getter Robo Daikessen

They could probably just do what they did with the Z1 to Z2 transition, and phase out the other continuity so your team can go "Another Ryouma?" without having to bog down your team with several versions of the same people.

I'd be happy with that, so long as they don't do the same thing with Mazinger and switch Shin for SKL.

Fred is on
Dec 24, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

Endorph posted:

Imagine if there was an equivalent game about western superheroes, and Adam West Batman was in it. You'd want his attack animations to involve flailing wildly and giant cartoon sound effects showing up to obscure the screen entirely, right? It's the same principle.

Now I'm mad that there will never be any such thing.

Fred is on
Dec 24, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

AradoBalanga posted:

a fancy German name

http://translate.google.com/#de/en/nein

Fred is on
Dec 24, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

TheBystander posted:

Yeah, I miss Black History and the Satellite Cannon theme. Honestly, in both Z2.1 and 2.2 there's some strange song absences. I'm not really sure why they were excluded: disc space, perhaps?

All returning series from Z1 only get one song, which makes no difference in most cases, but is kind of weird for units with finisher theme songs. Also for Shinn, who gets saddled with Kira's theme song if I recall correctly.

Semi-related: I really want a future SRW to attempt to adapt the Big O opening again. SRWD did it, and it was a valiant effort, at least. Mostly, though, I just want Big O to be in every big-budget game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fred is on
Dec 24, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

ActionZero posted:

No matter what anyone says, Vestige is Shinn's song not Kira's.

That's the first verse and I doubt anyone will disagree that the lyrics fit Shinn a hell of a lot more than they fit Kira. This would have been the BGM when Shinn has his heroic first launch in the Destiny to take on an army of LOGOS mobile suits or something (and it would have been so awesome). Pretty sure that in Z1 Shinn gets Vestige by default once he gets the Destiny while Kira and friends got You Resemble Me.

Sometimes I think about what Destiny could have been and it makes me sad.

Ah, you're right! I misremembered and thought everyone got Meteor in Z2. I didn't use the SEED Destiny units much beyond their introduction.

• Locked thread