Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Gulping Again posted:

There's an obvious Super Robot route, an obvious Real Robot route, and then there's The Area 11 Route.

That's...not quite true. All of the branching paths tend to be relatively balanced during the early game, if you look at their respective unit rosters, so it's mostly a matter of preference right now. I'd argue it's really only at the midpoint of Z2-1 that things may start to seem a bit isolated in there, at least when compared to what's going on elsewhere. Still, I had fun when I chose to go back and try that path, so I'd say it's not without some merits, particularly for those who like ATs or KMFs.

That said, there's no denying that the Japan route split deserves a lot of its popularity and should be a good first choice for this LP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

It's hard to deny that Code Geass R2 was disappointing, but I would say the underlying framework makes sense in retrospect and connects to what S1 was aiming for. They just rushed way too much and made some poor decisions by having the writing take very dumb shortcuts at times. Several events became either inconsistent or just plain silly in practice, even if not all the ideas involved were inherently bad. You can either enjoy most of those at face value by not taking them too seriously, which is good advice, or find them annoying.

As it is, there's still about 33% to 40% or so of R2 that I'd consider at least acceptable, if not great, with the rest varying wildly in quality. Overall, the second season is undeniably flawed, but I remained interested and entertained for the most part. From that point of view, I would rate it as slightly above average rather than as something truly terrible.

I also liked its SRW adaptation, all things considered, even if it's too early to discuss any of the details.

wielder fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jul 18, 2012

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

It's really weird in SRW where you go from the crap-rear end Glasglow fighting tanks and helicopter to Destroyer of Worlds.

To be fair, the last step makes a bit more sense in Z2 than in the show (around the last quarter of Geass R2, I believe), because towards that point of the next game everyone else has either already received their final upgrades and ultimate attacks or is going to get them soon enough, so in practice the tech gap is less pronounced within a SRW context. You've also had more time to play with the previous intermediate generation's machines by then.

wielder fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jul 19, 2012

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

I haven't seen the E7 film but as long as they're only mild spoilers...just having the characters make a few references to the original E7 series and contrasting them with whatever actually happens in the movie shouldn't really be a major issue.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Several of them, but here you miss out on the setup/explanation (where applicable) since it can't come across visually, and a few of the neat gimmicks which didn't fit said description also don't translate very well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

BlitzBlast posted:

And in the end, Lelouche's fatal flaw that screws everything forever isn't his pride, his tendency to treat people as tools, or his unwillingness to give up his friendship with Suzaku.

No he just tells really bad jokes.

More like all of the above! And then some.

If Lelouch were a different person, he could try to explain things and make constructive amends. But nope, he doesn't. It all becomes another part of the chess game he's playing and not willing to back away from. I guess it's almost admirable, in abstract terms, to see how far Lelouch is prepared to go...but in practice it's simply another sign of just how twisted and obsessive his own judgment is.

The joke's still pretty dumb and all, of course, even with its meta anti-Lacus implications and so on. I didn't expect the game to change it.

• Locked thread