Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

As a result of of the SRW@G LP I decided to just watch every Gundam series, OVA and movie ever in the order of when they were made since my sole experience with the brand up till that decision had been Wing. I'm up to Victory now! There'll probably be about another ten series out by the time I'm finished with what's currently available.

That said I don't actually mind, I've been enjoying things so far. It has been pretty funny getting to know the characters in their own setting and comparing it to their SRW depictions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Japan. Accept no imitations. Ignore the other Japan next door shut up shut up.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

I cannot begin to describe how much I love Mazinger Z. It just has this presence to its shape and motion that makes it live up to the legacy it has. I absolutely love the little panels that light up for Breast Fire.

I've been dithering like a beast on whether or not to get a PSP/Vita and Z2 (and 2.2) for a little while now even though I speak pretty much no Japanese. Watching these beautiful little animations makes it even harder to resist the urge to spend unwisely.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

I picked up SRWZ2:D last week and have been rolling through my first play-through, and I didn't check Dai-Guard's stats before sending him in to fight and was horrified when I saw just how much damage it was taking. Then I got to the upgrade section at the end where it still has the value for the last mission, and cracked up laughing.

17 missions later and Dai-Guard hasn't left my force's "always deploy" list. Plus its theme song is just so up-beat it feels wrong not taking it out to fight.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

More Mazinger is my vote because more Mazinger is also more Dai-Guard!

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Caphi posted:

Oh Heero, you lovable nutjob you.

There is one thing that's good about Wing's "bird" mode. Attacks in that mode makes the game play the awesome but weirdly named The Wings of a Boy That Killed Adolescence track. It's kind of the "OH poo poo IT'S A GUNDAM" song in the series.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Pureauthor posted:

Yeah, but you can set the BGM for every unit in the game (except for when the 00 units bust out their Super Attack) so it's not really much of an inherent plus.

I wasn't suggesting that a cool song was worth gimping Wing's combat potential over in the first place. It was just a nice surprise when I realised that they had thrown the track in, as I understand it hasn't appeared in very many if any SRW games featuring Gundam Wing before.

When I say "one good thing" I mean it's about the only good thing about the bird form.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Takeru really carried the day for me through my first play-through which I just recently finished. I wasn't sold on him at first but by the time I got to the point where I had the numbers to choose not to field him, I considered him just too good of a pilot with too good of a setup to let go to waste.

Then he got his Ace Bonus.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

I stuck with Dai-Guard for the entirety of my first run, and it paid back my trust over and over again. It was the unsung hero of that run-through.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Mazinger Z
Gaia/Godmars
Getter Robo
Gurren-Lagann
Wing Gundam
Gundam Deathscythe
Dai-Guard
Brasta
Gundam Exia
Gundam Dynames
Nova Eagle/Dancouga Nova
VF-25F (Alto)

Boy is choosing going to be harder later on.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

One after another and public team!

The Heero-Setsuna interactions in this game always cracked me up.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

My experience with the Movie Eureka Seven units in this game was basically "Boy that sure is a whole lot of flipping and pew pewing for a whole lot of nothing."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Same with me. I liked Dai-Guard to start with cause I enjoyed it weighty animations and its awesome music, but once that stage hit it became a case of trying to deploy it every single stage even at the cost of a unit that might have been a better choice.

I do love how it grows throughout the game. It's a very nice touch.

• Locked thread