Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

This LP's made me kind of curious about importing this - just curious, how easy is it to play without knowing Japanese? I've played other Super Robot Wars games and found some menu/skill/spirit/etc translation guides for this online, so I'm thinking I should be able to hack it, but I wanted to make sure before dropping money on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

SEED is one of those shows that ends up a lot better the more SRW fucks with it. The worst inclusion was J where they did the plot straight and it was drat near intolerable.
It was tolerable in J just because Ruri popped in once in a while to call everyone idiots and you just had to sadly nod your head in agreement.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

It's easy. Just build your own giant robot and fight for the cause of releasing these games outside of Japan.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SRWJ gives you like fifteen items for S-Rank water adaptability, so.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Susurrus posted:

Small question though: I just found something in the menus (I have no idea what it means, but it's the most lower left option in the intermission menu) and you can put people into squares and suddenly I have much more money: What is that?
Caphi explained it, but here's a little sheet of what does what.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Watta's CEO ability pretty much makes him required, yeah. The only way there would even be a debate is if the Trider sucked, and while it's kind of middling it's definitely not bad.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Out of curiosity, who is in your top ten?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dancouga Nova's theme song is awesome, at least.

But yeah, combining robot crews generally either have one token chick or no women at all.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Spiritus Nox posted:

Well, in all fairness, that's kind of the point, isn't it? And doesn't he get some unique ability that lets him buff other pilots to reflect how he spent the show barking orders and concocting mad schemes?
Ayup, he does. Not to mention him and C.C. have some pretty useful support spirits, and the Gawain's map attack, while not exactly great, is still a map attack.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Silentman0 posted:

What's wrong with its music?
It's not Days.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dancouga Nova handles it pretty awfully, yeah, but the basic premise (which is all we're really getting in SRWZ2) isn't really any stupider than 00. How is fighting wars for the losing side any stupider than fighting to prevent both sides from fighting?

And honestly, Sakuya getting a replica of his box kinda made me laugh.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Battle Moon Wars english patch called the +10 Will spirit "Will", If I recall correctly, which is at least a somewhat less confusing name than Spirit.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Spiritus Nox posted:

Looking forward to Area 11 in a couple of missions - I'm in the process of watching through Code Geass right now, and while I've heard it goes kind of batshit in the second season, I've been loving the first half.
The second season had some production issues that kind of show in the series, and it loses itself in a couple of places, but there's one magnificent and incredibly vital thing it never loses.

Jun Fukuyama hamming it the gently caress up.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

He's Lelouch's VA. I thought the dub was pretty solid, but I wound up preferring the Japanese just because of how ridiculously over-the-top his performance was.

And yeah, this game definitely does a better job of merging things together than, say, J. J clearly felt like several different series mashed together, while Z2 manages to actually seem like its own setting.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Caphi posted:

The last patient, Setsuna arrives. Ru thinks he's the one whose mind she needs to get into most of all, but the scene fades to black.=

"Now, could you tell me what you see in this inkblot?"
"Gundam."
"Interesting. And in this one?"
"Gundam."

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

To be fair, at least Lelouch is sort of a real name. There's no defense for Rivalz.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pasteurized Milk posted:

I never watched Code Geass, but does Lelouch always just monologue to himself about changing the world for his sister.
Sometimes, but it's usually shorter than that and is somewhat context appropriate instead of just randomly thinking about it during a student council meeting.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Duo and Crowe are decent enough at damage that it's not too bad, though upgrading the two of them definitely helps.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hey, for the R2 characters, I liked Xingke!

Shame he basically falls off the face of the earth after the events in China are over.

And yeah, I thought it basically exaggerated R1's flaws, weakened some of it's strengths, and introduced a lot of new flaws, but I wouldn't say it was the worst poo poo ever. A lot of the things in it felt like they could have worked, they were just handled really poorly.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jul 19, 2012

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Suzaku didn't do as many spinkicks.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mercury Crusader posted:

Just wanted to point out that Previous Notice is more badass than COLORS. I keep Previous Notice on Kallen all the time. Even in Z2-2.
I can't stand Previous Notice just because of that annoying riff that plays at the start. It's fine as a song but as an attack theme it's annoying as hell unless you move all your Geass units at once.

EDIT: Also, I like O2, but I gotta wonder why they used that for Z2.2 instead of World's End.

v You mean you don't like I CONTINUE TO FIGHT! I CONTINUUUUE TO FIIIIGHT!

Endorph fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Aug 1, 2012

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Omnicrom posted:

I can only speak for myself but O2 is way more memorable than World's End and Colors is way more memorable than those other 2 R1 openings that I don't even remember the names of.
Haha, I remembered Kaidoku Funou, but I completely forgot Hitomi no Tsubasa even existed. For being the OP for just the last two episodes, it's incredibly forgettable.

EDIT: That said, I really loved World's End.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Drop the Aphrodite and the Shuttle. The Gundam 00 Battleship with the name I'm not even going to attempt to spell can repair, and Dai-Guard can resupply.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Gravion and DanGaiOh are sort of arguable, but the original Nova looks like one of those toys that you wind up and it moves along incredibly stiffly. Not just that, but it looks like one of those toys if it was made out of painted bricks and manure.

Not a fan.

EDIT: Like, seriously, I have trouble imagining how that thing could even animate. Godmars looks more capable of locomotion.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I think they made him that awesome just to further contrast him with Simon. IE: He might not have been that awesome in the actual show, but Simon saw him as being that awesome, so...

EDIT: Well, he only has Rank 1 of it, but he actually gains ranks in it faster than Yoko, Kittan, Dayakka, and Rossiu, so... fair enough.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Aug 29, 2012

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

KDavisJr posted:

The hot springs episode later is actually filler. Nothing of any importance happens in that episode. It's funny as hell though.
That old man joins the group, if that counts for anything.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Give Zero EN Save. Not for the moment, but in preparation for his new mech.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Give Alto some focus since he's an okay Real and not leveling him makes some chapters really annoying.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

AradoBalanga posted:

There's that, but both opening cinematics for the Z2 games feature Godmars moving with fluidity for the few shots its in them. So...why do that for the opening cinematics and not for the in-game action?
SRW is a series about fanservice. God Mars is a cheesy 80s show with no animation.

This is a weird comparison, but work with me here. Imagine if there was an equivalent game about western superheroes, and Adam West Batman was in it. You'd want his attack animations to involve flailing wildly and giant cartoon sound effects showing up to obscure the screen entirely, right? It's the same principle.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The biggest shame of Turn-A is that I don't think it's ever had Century Color in a Super Robot Wars game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5_bL2Shsgg

CENTURY COLOR! MILLION COLOR!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SaitoBatch posted:

So here's my question, can someone explain how ATs can go into space and not utterly suck? I honestly want to call BS, but I know your team can do it with not space mechas like Arm Slaves in other SRT games.
How the hell can Knightmares work in space? Or Dai-Guard? Or that one dude in Linebarrels who's just a dude on foot?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Spiritus Nox posted:

This is basically how Big O got around in space missions in Z1, actually. All his melee attacks in Space terrain have the animation changed so that he shoots out his grappling Anchor to either reel in his opponent or pull himself in. It's one of those nice touches.
Z2 Animations have some nice touches too. Dai-Guard has about 50 thrusters stuck to him, if I remember right.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

T.M. Revolution is the best, screw you.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Speaking of Lunamaria, I wish she was a better unit, because her name is Lunamaria loving Hawke. Someone with a name like that should be piloting a super robot, not the Sloppy Seconds Gundam.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

If nothing else, you could just do a translation guide on Gamefaqs or something.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Caphi posted:

Man, if I knew I could actually get away with just the bookends, a few events, videos, and maybe some detail on a boss fight, I'd probably do it. Like, if you're saying I could literally go "two turns pass, the enemies all die, oh no, more enemies" I would do it and possibly focus more on writing (and the data size of each update would likely go down as well). All I'd need to know is that no one will mind, because like I said, I am primarily here to write the story. That said, I'm also a bit interested in DrPepper's Z idea, and wondering how to arrange that. I still have to figure out my video recording problem anyway.
I don't think anyone is here for the riveting gameplay of SRW. I mean, I have fun with it, but the gameplay's mostly an excuse to watch animations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

That worked pretty well, in my estimation!

Also Gravion. Never watched it, but goddamn, that mech was amazing. The fact that it had an army of subpilots helped.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Gravion has a budget of like a $1.50 and it shows. One of the amazing things about SRW's animations is that they go out of their way to reference the budget saving lack-of-movement that Gravion has in the show. Not to the same level as Godmars of course, but few things are as glorious as Godmars' intentionally-poo poo animation.
Honestly I kind of like the way it's portrayed in the games, at least. I've literally never seen a single clip of Gravion, but here the way it's so ponderous and clunky makes it feel really powerful.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Crowe keeps trying to imply that he is just a thug who's taking advantage of the mess, everyone else keeps cutting him off at the pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Beck not being a permanent party member is the greatest crime.

• Locked thread