Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Man, if they only had the G Gundam cast in, this would be like, my dream game. Good luck with this! May hot-bloodedness guide your way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Same. Whose families do we have to terrorize to get this done?

Well first and foremost, Banpresto. Then, depending on what series you want included, you'd probably have to go to whoever holds the US rights and/or the production company if it's not actually licensed outside of Japan. And from a cursory glance at the series list for this game, you'd have to at least hit up

...Sunrise, Toei Animation, Gainax, Bones, Satelight, Bee Media, Bandai, ADV Films, and Cartoon Network if you want season 2 of Big O.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The one thing that always seemed weird to me about SRW, even moreso than how they mix drastically different stories and settings into one world, is how their technologies blend into that one world. Like, in Code Geass, it's a big deal when the Knightmares start flying, because it's a fairly new thing, but Gundams just fly around like it ain't no thang because flying mechs are old news in their universe.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

veekie posted:

I love how crazy it is that a child CEO with a super robot and a tight budget is barely worth comment in game.

Oh well, as least they had enough funds to outfit it with flight and armor.

In a world where there are two Japans, one of which is conquered and one of which is free for no apparent reason (other than to include Geass), stranger things have happened.

Mercury Crusader posted:

If I remember the first episode right, the backstory behind that is basically "Watta's dad passed away, and in his will he just gave full control of the company and all its assets to Watta", which just happens to include Trider G7. And the Takeo General Company was never really that well-off, which is why the company advertises itself for pretty much any kind of job (most of which happen to require Trider G7, whether it's combat-related or manual labor ala hauling heavy stuff).

That kinda disappoints me. I was hoping the kid inherited the money and the company and blew it all on building his own giant robot. That's sure as hell what I'd do if I became a billionaire as a child. Well, and if I lived in a world where giant robots were a thing that seemingly everybody has.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

If I recall, the English version of the show actually uses Karen for the Brittanian version and Kallen for the Japanese version. Which sort of makes sense because "Karen " is more of a Brittanianish name than Kallen. (.. well, as reasonable a one as you can get when there are characters named Rivalz and Lelouch.)

Nope, in the dub at least, she's always Kallen.

Endorph posted:

To be fair, at least Lelouch is sort of a real name. There's no defense for Rivalz.

Lelouche is sort of a real name? And yeah, when I first saw the show, I thought Rivalz just had to be a nickname, but nope, he just has weird parents I guess.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

BlitzBlast posted:

That's actually on purpose. As I recall, Kallen is the Brittanian name she uses in her meek student persona, while Karen is her "true" Japanese name she uses as a terrorist.

Well the real difference is that she has different last names. Stadtfeld for Britannian, Kozuki for Japanese.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

The game expects players to have already see E7 or at least the Z1 adaptation of E7. I would give any information you need to that was presented in Z1. You kind of can't avoid it because the E7 movie really plays off the television series in a specific way.

I would just give any information that was present in Z1, televison spoilers be damned.

I never got around to watching the E7 movie, but from what I've read on Wikipedia, it's a totally different beast from the TV show, isn't it? I'm really curious to see how, if at all, they make its inclusion make sense.

Actually, there's a lot of series/robots that don't seem like they should fit anywhere near the paths we've seen so far. I'm thinking specifically of Gurren Lagann and Big O

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Wow, I knew TTGL would get dragged into the main plot eventually, but I'd imagined they'd wait a little bit before bringing in everybody else. I mean, I get that from a gameplay standpoint you can't just have Lagann running missions entirely by itself, and players would be pissed if you suddenly took away all their other units all of a sudden, but kinda the whole point of early TTGL is a ragtag group with very limited arsenal against the world. But that feeling isn't really there when they immediately get an army of buddies to help them out.

Additionally, the presence of an airship (and indeed every single flying unit) is gonna really make the part where Gurren Lagann gets wings weird, since flying was supposed to be a big deal before then. Still, really interested to see how all these plots get woven together.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
drat, I knew that Gurren Lagann would kick rear end, but I guess I was unprepared for exactly how much rear end it would kick.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ardeem posted:

The show itself did that. Quick, what is Pudding Earl or Orange's real names?

Hey, everybody remembers Jeremiah Gottwald. (SPOILER WARNING for like, all of Geass)

Monathin posted:

Gurren Lagann is the result of ramming a robot with a drill into the cockpit of another bot - and it somehow works. So the "THEY'RE GONNA COMBINE!?" scene doesn't lose any of its impact.

The whole "ramming the cockpit" part can't be understated. Kamina narrowly dodges a drill to the head every time they combine. Here's the stock footage they use for every other transformation. (I couldn't find a version without lovely music overdubbed, sorry)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QB3dW9dqhcs

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I was wondering how they'd handle Rossiu and the Black Family and all the other TTGL stuff that doesn't really involve giant robots directly. Turns out the answer is "all in one fell swoop" apparently.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Trider G7
Wing Gundam
Gundam Deathscythe
Gundam Exia
Gundam Dynames
Gundam Virtue
Nova Eagle/Dancouga Nova
Getter Robo
Mazinger Z
Dai-Guard
Gurren-Lagann
Brasta

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Oh, right, voting! I guess I'll just pretty much repeat my votes from last time, except for dropping some Gundams for some Geass guys since I like that series more then the Gundam series included in this game.

quote:

Trider G7
Wing Gundam
Gundam Deathscythe
Gundam Exia
Gundam Dynames
Nova Eagle/Dancouga Nova
Getter Robo
Mazinger Z
Dai-Guard
Brasta
Ohgi
Tamaki

e: Forgot Zero and Guren are auto-deployed, so I guess the Geass B-team does get to play ball. I really like Tamaki. He's a real moron, but it's almost endearing how blindly loyal he is to Zero.

double edit: Forgot Gurren-Lagann's also auto-deployed, drat. Okay, fixed the list again.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Oct 18, 2012

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Send out all the guys with lines + remaining spots for cool guys. I'm not a big fan of the Meisters, but I do like seeing how SRW blends plots of all the drastically different shows.

I find it entertaining that they actually took time to make a cutscene out of one of Geass' silliest episodes. Also that Kamina was really mad about his robot's name getting stolen.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Omnicrom posted:

One after the other and Do the Public Team First, I want the world to know the suffering of the next stage.

Another vote for this. I mean, a team with Mazinger and Gurren-Lagann. How ya gonna pass up that?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Caphi posted:

This gets Trowa laughing, then the other terrorists. Heero doesn't get what's so funny. Setsuna tells Heero that he, too, is Gundam.

Oh man, I've never watched Gundam 00, but I love this Setsuna guy.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Man, I love space, but I hate the sound of that lineup. So really I don't have that much of a preference except anywhere but space.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Caphi posted:

Uchuta and Keiko soon realize that they're not talking to their Renton and Holland, but versions of them they've never met from parallel universe. That settles it, all right - the dimensional rift pulled Kappei, Uchuta, and Keiko into another world again.

Yes, a much, much crappier parallel universe. Those poor ZEUTH bastards, leaving the decent Gekkostate behind.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Snot Man posted:

Semi-related: I really want a future SRW to attempt to adapt the Big O opening again. SRWD did it, and it was a valiant effort, at least. Mostly, though, I just want Big O to be in every big-budget game.

I've never gotten why they always use Sure Promise for battle music in Z. Sure, it's a great song, but the other version sounds so much more fit for a battle in a game. But yes, Big O in every game forever.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Endorph posted:

How the hell can Knightmares work in space? Or Dai-Guard? Or that one dude in Linebarrels who's just a dude on foot?

I'd like to imagine the Knightmares just shoot their slash harkens out and pull themselves to their targets like outer space Spider-Men.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Oh well. I'm sad we couldn't make it all the way, but I applaud your efforts none the less. Godspeed on future endeavors.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Caphi posted:

Next stage is a shitton of text with some planes blowing up. I'm getting increasingly tempted to just link to streaming episodes of Code Geass during the Area 11 routes.

Yeah, I've never played the game, but it must be an absolute bitch to incorporate a lot of Geass' story since a lot of important stuff is completely outside of giant robots. Hell, a lot of it involves the dramatic usage of a character's superpower involving his eyes, which is pretty tough to convey in a series where all talking is done through a bunch of static pictures that aren't really looking at each other.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Bring the Geass guys and Team Gurren-Lagann since I've actually watched their shows. Dai-Guard too, since I find those guys endearing. Everyone else can decide the rest of the team.

AradoBalanga posted:

three votes to permabench the Eureka 7 cast

Seconding this. drat these terrible movie imposters!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I know we're not voting on unit deployment every stage and the official line on voting is that we're bringing "all the cool dudes". So I guess I'll just have to say that Roger and Big O are the coolest dudes and we should bring them on every map from now on. Send their slow asses to space, I don't care.

Not having Final Stage is a real shame though.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Man, I like both those other teams better, but my curiosity's got the better of me and I can't pass up a secret, so gently caress it, go with Celestial Being and I pick Sheryl.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

It is a dumb secret, go with the Gurrens.

Well, okay, if it's dumb, I revise my statement to roll with Team Dai-Gurren

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I'm not a big fan of this whole Celestial Being crew, but that Setsuna line was almost worth it.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Wounded Land posted:

Is it just me, or is Nia much less obnoxious in here than in the show?

Probably a lot easier to be less obnoxious when the game's forcing her to share screen time with characters from like 10 other series worth of characters and you can't hear her voice at all...

Although personally, I never found Nia obnoxious in the show so what do I know.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ardeem posted:

Peace breaks out in Area 11 Japan, life is the new normal for about a month and then Charles' plan goes off and only the power of hotbloodedness can oppose it.

You're talking about Code Geass here, a more accurate post would be

quote:

Peace breaks out in Area 11 Japan, life is the new normal for about a month and then Charles' plan goes off and only the power of hotbloodedness GRATUITOUS PLANS WITHIN PLANS can oppose it.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Oct 31, 2013

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Alacron posted:

Kamina ever met Gendou. :shobon:

I'm sure Kamina would hate him, but he'd have to give the man credit for kicking reason to the curb. :v:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
It's too bad that Lelouche geassing Mao to "never speak again" isn't in the game as it's really neat, but then again I suppose in a text based game where he's really only appeared a little bit, the moment really wouldn't have as much/any effect.

Oh, and

Caphi posted:

He's looked straight into Roger's deepest Memories! The Paradigm kind, not the regular kind.

this line really made me laugh, good job. I guess "swooping away" for Mao was pretty easy after the mere mention of memories probably stopped Roger cold so he could drop into a 10 minute inner monologue about the nature of memories.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Wounded Land posted:

Wouldn't this make him Anime Nicholson Joker? :v:

No, Roger's always been about launching cash... occasionally by accident.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Broken Loose posted:

Also, not mentioned here is that Lelouch has to wear a contact lens over his Geass eye from this point on when he's not wearing the Zero mask because it's permanently activated.

A super-special contact that he can just put in and take out with no problems at all. (I get it, it's a cartoon, but that always irked me. Contacts are a pain.)

But yeah, I always liked that Code Geass would've ended in that episode if not for Lelouche telling a dead baby joke. "Well I could tell you to go on a murder spree but that'd be crazy wait what what are you doing"

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Nov 19, 2013

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
God I hate literally everything about Eureka Seven that isn't Eureka Seven. Movies, sequels, all of it's just poo poo.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

thetruegentleman posted:

I have absolutely no idea what is going on with Chirico's plot line. So, is he a god because fate makes him invincible, unless he fights someone else who is also invincible because genetics? How does that even work? Where the heck do all the people related to him even keep coming from? Are there going to be relevant enough in the future to try and remember who the heck they are?

Its like, the smaller the mechs in a series are, the more convoluted its plot...

I believe you need to study the greatest film of our time, Highlander, then imagine it as a mecha anime.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Caphi posted:

You can't confuse me with your weird science words! I don't get any of them anyway!

I wasn't a big fan of Watta, but I gotta say, he's growing on me.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Corponation posted:

Dark Continent

I think Big O is the best thing about these games, and I always want more of it.

This man speaks truth. Adding my vote to Dark Continent

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Hellioning posted:

No Chibodee? Because I want the Gundam Max Revolver in more things.

Man, as cool as that looks, I can't give up the boxing-gloved football-padded surfboarding Gundam as the champion of America. This cowboy will always be second place.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
For real. That's a fight that should have a cutscene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rodyle posted:

Sometimes a guy's just got to abandon his robot and beat up the other guy's robot with his fists. After, of course, revealing that his capital city is itself a giant robot.

Sometimes SRW just can't replicate the show despite its best efforts. Love all that unique dialogue though :allears:

Yeah, I'm kinda disappointed that you didn't get to fight Teppelin itself. Oh well... Also yeah, while SRW makes a lot of things in a lot of shows cooler/better, I definitely think that you can't beat the knock-down drag-out brawl of Lagann v. Lordgenome with the finisher of Simon drilling out Lordgenome's chest.

At least they gave him a good cut in of his head catching on fire.

• Locked thread