Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheBystander
Apr 28, 2011

Tae posted:

Hit and Away on Kyrios of all things? What in the gently caress?

Caphi, can you swap this skill out for something better? Because this sounds like one of the worst skills for Kyrios to have. I wonder why Allelujah starts with it? Seems like a silly choice.

Also, the more I see of this game, the more I want to play it. I actually like the Gundam 00 designs, and I really like what they've done with Mazinger Z. That, plus the inclusion of one of my favourite shows (Gurren Lagaan) makes it very difficult to hold myself back from importing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBystander
Apr 28, 2011

Gulping Again posted:

And here's Aoi.

For a good half of the game, she is one of the two WORST protagonist pilots available. More often than not, she'll be spending time in the Nova Eagle (which loving sucks by the way) due to the will prerequisite on combining. She is also stuck with her terrible, terrible SP pool as a solo pilot, which limits her to one or two spirit castings per fight. Add in her not-too-stellar stats and the fact that the Nova Eagle is geared more towards Ranged weaponry than Melee (although just having that mixed-weapon setup is more a hindrance than help on any unit) and you have a recipe for disaster. She gets better later, but on my first playthrough, I didn't give a poo poo and kept her benched.

She's not as dire as the OTHER Worst Protagonist, though. I'll gripe about his useless rear end when we get him.

Well now I'm curious. Mind spoiling who you consider the worst?

TheBystander
Apr 28, 2011

Gulping Again posted:

Renton is the worst protagonist pilot. The only things that make him usable is his ace bonus and the fact that Nirvash MkV is really motherfucking powerful. If anyone OTHER than Renton used it, it would be world-ruining.

Garrod
is not counted in this despite being a protagonist because seriously, who gives a poo poo about him and his awful mech?

When support units have better attack power than your machine, you have problems.

Well, that's depressing on both counts. Renton was one of my main poo poo-wreckers in Z1, and I love Gundam X, both the unit and the show . Finding out they dropped the ball on both accounts is really unfortunate.

TheBystander
Apr 28, 2011

Section Z posted:

"Yes! I have Godlike-powers-I-Have-Full-Confidence-In!... Oh, they only work once? Fortunately I arranged a timed recorded phone call off-screen (and will claim how I did it in like, an hour from now) in case my godlike powers I had complete confidence in failed, in a conversation I had no foreknowledge of occurring now."

Lelouche's "tactical brilliance" is the "Yugi is really great at cards" sort I see. Or uses Bill And Ted Style manipulation of Time.

To be fair to Code Geass (having just rewatched the first few episodes), this scene is pretty condensed. Originally, Lelouche messed up in the same way, and had to arrange for the fake phone call later in order to throw Kallen off his scent, so it wasn't nearly as silly. So far I'm enjoying this game's story, but it does suffer a bit from having to cram in multiple storylines into a really short timeframe.

I actually just got this game, and I'm enjoying it immensely. I can't wait for the LP to catch up to what I've seen, as I want to know what Zero and Kamina were fighting about soon after the foundation of the Black Knights

TheBystander
Apr 28, 2011

Brunom1 posted:

Don't forget VOTOMS. Never forget VOTOMS...

On that topic, I really want to watch VOTOMS after finishing this game, if just to understand what Chirico's deal is. Anyone know if there's a site where I can legally watch it online?

TheBystander
Apr 28, 2011

Holy hell, GOONZ is perfect, especially that engrish mangling of it.

Also, yeah, just pick whoever you think is appropriate . I don't see any reason to make you use weird units. Generally, I prefer to use the series that goes along with the story of the stage, but I don't really care either way.

TheBystander
Apr 28, 2011

Silentman0 posted:

But unfortunately they didn't include any of the parts that make the Rebuild movies fun.

Yeah no kidding. I can't wait until they start adding in the best new stuff from those movies. A new pilot, new unit, and at least 2 or three new attacks compared to the old series. Plus all the revamped Angels.

TheBystander
Apr 28, 2011

Omnicrom posted:

Actually Mari wasn't in SRW L. The redesigned Evas were in, as were the new weapons and Angel Designs. The Evas are actually quite good in L, Eva-00 has a Shield, a repair unit, and an AT Field so it's an ideal squadmate, Eva-01 is an excellent ranged attack, and Eva-02 is a great melee fighter complete with the nifty new Harpoon Gun.

Yeah, I was mostly thinking about Mari and her Eva from the beginning of 2.0 (which admittedly didn't last long, but that shouldn't stop it from being at least a secret unit). I heard Eva 02 doesn't have its crazy Beast Mode thing either, but I admittedly didn't play much of L.
[/list]

TheBystander
Apr 28, 2011

Max out Alto's Prevail. He's not as dodgy as he should be, so he's bound to get hit once, and if he survives it the Prevail boost makes him actually pretty good. I've never really used the other SMS characters much, so I've got nothing for them, but Alto can turn out quite well if you use him.

TheBystander
Apr 28, 2011

Daler Mehndi posted:

I noticed that all the Valkyries are equipped with shields, yet none of the pilots has Blocking as a natural skill (unlike, say, a lot of Gundam pilots). I haven't given them Blocking in my playthrough, but I was tempted, especially for the ones that spent a lot of time in humanoid mode like Michel.

I'm glad they remove the blocking skill in Z2.2, and just make blocking something pilots can always do. Having to add the skill to a pilot always struck me as a waste of a skill, and I would almost never bother (with one exception, but we haven't met him yet).

TheBystander
Apr 28, 2011

Yeah, this was one of my favourite levels in the game, which is funny, because it's based on one of my least favorite episodes of Gundam 00. Still, the massive amounts of enemies and plentiful interesting bosses made this stage a blast to play, even if the SR point is a bit rough. The only thing I dislike it Saachez's Plasma Field attack: I hate having a character just removed from battle like that.

TheBystander
Apr 28, 2011

Omnicrom posted:

And now poo poo officially gets real. Next mission is one of the best and is basically where Z2 officially becomes a sequel to Z1.

Also I also hate this chapter for more or less the reasons outlined. The Genocidrones and the Cancers flat out refuse to play ball and get shot down.

Crowe and Lockon are the best duo in my mind, better even than Heero and Setsuna.

Using a Haro as the be-all and end-all of Real Robot items actually has its roots in Victory Gundam. For those who haven't seen that one Usso, the protagonist, has a Haro as a co-pilot that saves his bacon repeatedly. It's actually an advanced support AI that sometimes pilots the Gundam all on its own and is clever enough to help Usso on the ground, famously playing sounds of machine gun fire to distract enemy soldiers. The item in question changes occasionally, in W it's a Super Electronic Brain like the ones in the GGG vehicle robots and in the OG series it's a "High Performance Custom Computer". Of course there are plenty of games without V Gundam where it's still a Haro, but whatever.

I've never seen Victory Gundam, so I was wondering when it made the transition from 'cute kid's toy' to 'cutesy-but-competant support AI'. Of course, the Haro in Z2 is likely more a reference to the Haro that Lockon uses for support: in the anime, I believe when Lockon was focusing on sniping, he'd leave maneuvering to Haro.

Also, while this level is kinda boring, I actually like it, especially in contrast to the next mission. In this mission, you really get to go all-out, and show just how absurdly powerful your team really is. At this point, it'd take a truly ridiculous force to compete with you.

EDIT: Heh, guess I should have read Spiritus Nox's response before posting. Yeah, pretty much exactly what he said.

TheBystander
Apr 28, 2011

Much as I enjoy Gundam 00's storyline in this game, I'm going to vote for Peacekeepers, because everyone needs more Gurren Lagann, and more Kamina. Also, don't remember the space route as being particularly interesting this time.

TheBystander
Apr 28, 2011

I absolutely love the Gunleon (how could anyone not like it?), but I too prefer Setsuko and the Virgola. The way it picks up upgrades like Mega Man throughout is pretty cool, if a little morbid given the circumstances. The only thing I dislike is the doofy-looking cannon the Virgola gets after it upgrades... I would have preferred something a bit more, I don't know, mechanical-looking.

TheBystander
Apr 28, 2011

I really liked King Gainer in Z1, and continued to like him here, but for reason I felt that he (and basically all but a few returning ZEUTHers) got a lot worse in the transition between games. The Overmen in particular seem way easier to hit than they used to, which hampers them greatly. Still, I used King Gainer and the Dominator a lot, and they're both pretty good. I miss Overheat though... that's a really badass attack.

As for the Xabungle crew, I actually didn't like them much even in Z1. Alpha Gaiden used Xabungle really well, and I felt that Z1 skipped through a lot of Xabungle's storyline, to its detriment (Jiron starting in the Gallia is a good example of that). Jiron was at least a pretty good squadmate back in Z1, but with squads gone, he just never found a place in my Z2 teams because, as was already said, I already had Dai-Guard. I really miss the Iron Gear though: that battleship is ridiculous.

Finally, we have Kittan and Dayakka joining up. I really tried to use Kittan, as that guy is awesome, but I felt the King Kittan was a bit too hard too use: it's too slow, and uses up way too much energy. He makes a great support defender though. As for Dayakka, he's not built like a sniper because he isn't meant to be one... Dayakka's a poor choice for the Dayakkaiser, frankly. If only there was something he was much better suited towards...

TheBystander
Apr 28, 2011

Spiritus Nox posted:

Well, you might already know this, but it did - Z1 is explicitly set after the climax of Xabungle. One of the more subtle crossovers between it and Gainer (which, from what I understand, is meant to be a little bit of a modern take on Xabungle's parody of Robot Shows of the time) is that the protagonists' rebellion against the oppressive Siberian Rail Company is meant to be part of a mass uprising against the Innocent inspired by Jiron's antics.

Or so Mneidengard informs me, at any rate - not like I can read a word of it.

Huh, I did not know that. Most of the story in the non-translated games is lost on me... hence why I enjoy SRW LPs so much.

TheBystander
Apr 28, 2011

Regarding Gundam X, hopefully someone can answer this question: did the Satellite Cannon have such a long charge-up time in the show? It's been a while since I watched it, but I seem to remember that the only stipulation to using it was that the moon had to be out. Frankly, given the massive energy cost and morale requirement, the charge time is pointless: most stages don't last that long, and plenty of other robots have comparable attacks that don't have long charge-up times. Imagine if you had to wait three turns to use Giga Drill Breaker, or the Guren's radiation attack? It really makes no sense, and further weakens a lackluster unit.

Too bad, too, because I liked Gundam X.

TheBystander
Apr 28, 2011

Honestly, with Gundam X I really wish they'd do some crazy series crossover stuff. It'd never happen, but I'd love to see Garrod power the cannon with Spiral Energy instead. You know that kid is loaded with it.

TheBystander
Apr 28, 2011

Wounded Land posted:

Speaking of BGMs, why isn't Satellite Cannon playing when it's used? That was the most interesting part of using the satcannon for me.
I've always gotten the impression that the SRW crew doesn't like X, hence why they don't do very well with it.

Yeah, I miss Black History and the Satellite Cannon theme. Honestly, in both Z2.1 and 2.2 there's some strange song absences. I'm not really sure why they were excluded: disc space, perhaps?

On a related note, I love weapon-specific themes. They really make certain attacks feel more powerful and more significant.

TheBystander
Apr 28, 2011

Yeah, this song is exactly why the lack of Z1 songs is a problem. Why is this not in the game?

TheBystander
Apr 28, 2011

Caphi posted:

INTERIM UPDATE

So I said I'd lost my save at chapter 23, but I had one at chapter 18, right? So I'm playing those five chapters again, rushing, just to be able to produce a couple of files for the space and Area 11 branches. Now, here I was thinking "no one will notice any difference. Maybe some levels and kill counts will be different or something, and no one will see. And we'll pick up after WPC chapter 24, right where we just left off."

Well, I forgot about how terrible chapter 20 is (that's the desert one with all the bosses), and when I got there, I decided to keep rushing and not care about the SR Point. So I'll be short one.

You can all be ashamed of me now.

The horror!

Yeah, I don't think it's a concern, especially since SR Points aren't especially important in this game: I don't think any of the secrets have an SR requirement.

TheBystander
Apr 28, 2011

I'm not a huge fan of the Strike Freedom, mostly because I find Kira isn't as dodgy as I feel he should be. Also, I liked the design of the original Freedom, so the Strike Freedom feels a bit like it's trying too hard, I guess.

I have a problem with both the Destiny and the Zeta Gundams in this game, too: they don't seem as awesome as they did in Z1. I'm not entirely certain why this is the case, though the lack of Waverider Crash (and it's awesome accompanying music) partly explains this. But on a more mechanical side of things, they just don't seem as good as they used to be, overall. Oddly, think this has to do with game progression: in Z1, both the Destiny and Zeta were endgame upgrades, and definitely felt like it. Here, you get them right away, and they just seem boring and weaker, I guess.

I also don't like that Kamille doesn't have enough Newtype Levels to properly use the Zeta. Hilariously, this ends up being the case again in Restoration, though in my current playthrough of that, I found a solution to that problem: switching units with a Newtype we've seen, but haven't acquired yet in the LP. And while it's strange not to have Amuro in the Nu Gundam, he's able to use to the Zeta to its fullest right off the bat, while Kamille is able to do the same with the Nu. I also love switching pilots around, and putting them into unusual units, so this mech-swap is extra fun for me.

I also kinda miss the Impulse's pack-switching from Z1, even though it's unnecessary by this point. It was mostly nice as a way to restore energy mid-mission without having to resupply.

TheBystander
Apr 28, 2011

Omnicrom posted:

That's standard practice from about Z onward. In Z very few people got Hotblood until late in the game, and the handful who got it earlier generally were picking it up around mission 35 instead of 45. Games like L and UX don't give Damage boosting spirits until very late and usually as the final spirit the character acquires. There are some small exceptions though, like Ryubi Tallgeese who has Soul as his first Spirit, but he's a secret character who joins really late in UX.

Special mention also goes to Kamina in this game, who gets his Valor about ten levels or more before anyone else. Valor's pretty ridiculous this early in the game.

TheBystander
Apr 28, 2011

I actually used Gran Trooper a lot in this game, because it was a flying robot with resupply, that could also stand up for itself in a fight. As a result, it was a bit more useful to me than the Shuttle, which had a bad tendency to get killed off too quickly. Though, the comparison to Dai-Guard is apt, and if I had to choose between the two, I'd bench Gran Trooper every time. Which is exactly what I chose to do in the sequel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBystander
Apr 28, 2011

KDavisJr posted:

I found that bit with Crowe pretty drat funny but can anyone explain what's going on? I mean I kinda have an idea, but I'm not really sure.

In the first part, Lockon says "We're all fighting to bring peace to the world", but we all know Crowe's just fighting to pay off his debt. And in the second, I guess Crowe's insinuating that he actually is just a thug.

• Locked thread