Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

I think the only option here is More Dai-Guard Mazinger.

Caphi posted:

* Bear with me on these. There are several kinds of weird-dimensional-poo poo-quakes in this game and I'm trying my best to keep them all straight. Also if there's an accepted translation for the type used in Dai-Guard let me know, I haven't seen it.

I'm pretty sure that they're just called Dimensional Quakes in the dub.

And you really do need to watch Dai-Guard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Those poor OZ pilots. "It's a Gundam" indeed.

That's one of the many things I love about this game, the Leos explode easy and they explode good. It's always satisfying to destroy them, especially with non Gundam Wing units.

I also really like the "taking damage" animations in this game. They're all pretty great but I think a particular red mech's stands out as being the best.

NotALizardman fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Apr 27, 2012

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Spiritus Nox posted:

Agreed, you can tell the developers really LOVE this whole Super Robot Wars deal. I remember resisting the urge to fanboy-squee when I saw they got all the right sound effects for Big O - Big O itself has a particularly distinctive sound effect when it moves I was glad to see they retained.

I nearly did the same playing this game for the first time when I heard Dai-Guard's gigantic, thudding footsteps. I mean, they even matched the sound effects for something as goofy and obscure as Dai-Guard. That's dedication.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Gaia/Godmars, Wing, Deathscythe, Dynames, Getter Robo, Mazinger Z, Aphrodite A, Dai-Guard, Gurren-Lagann, Alto, Ozma and the Brasta.

I was just going to vote for Dai-Guard, but eh what the hell might as well fill it all out.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Let's go with the Macross Public Team and do the routes one after the other.

NotALizardman fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Oct 28, 2012

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Oh man Kokubogar, the finest of Giant Robots and the Knot Punisher. :syoon:

Fun fact: Kokubogar and Dai-Guard never actually fight in the series. Instead, Iizuka challenges Akagi to the greatest test of piloting skill ever devised: transferring eggs from one carton to another using tiny manipulators in your giant robots fingers! And, done in front of media, government and public spectators!

Akagi loses, because he's sick with the anime flu, Aoyama and Ibuki are fighting and refuse to work together and because Dai-Guard is the worst at egg transferring.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Let's go with the Peacekeeping Council, more Mazinger can never hurt. :allears:

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

The funny thing is, though, that the entire point of the Gundam DX is that it charged faster.

I thought the point of the DX was having double the giant beam cannon? :v:

The way they implement the satellite cannon is stupid and has screwed the GX and DX in every game they've been in (except R), and yet Banpresto keeps using it. It's absolutely baffling. Why use such stupid balancing methods, when nothing else in the game is balanced? Even without the charging, the satellite cannon is only useable in like a third of the stages where you can deploy the DX, so it's not like you could break the game apart with it.

If they're really worried about balance, the three turn charge should be an optional replacement for the Moon requirement. I think there was a crappy Gundam X sidestory manga where the main characters used relay satellites that bounced the microwave beams from DOME to anywhere on the planet. Use that system as a secret so that the satellite cannon can be used even without the moon being visible, but it takes three turns for DOME to calculate the beam's trajectory or whatever. Then let us use the satellite cannon with no restrictions if the moon is out.

NotALizardman fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Mar 25, 2013

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

It is a dumb secret, go with the Gurrens.

My feelings exactly. Let's go to Japan.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

I'm pretty sure it's a joke about moustaches.

edit: well poo poo

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Gotta go with Dai-Guard and the Dark Continent route.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

I will forever be disappointed that the parachute isn't included in the Great Knot Punisher's animations.

Shameful, Banpresto, just shameful. :colbert:

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

They never lost the Knot Punisher, the original Knot Buster gets repo'd because they didn't pay for it, and then the army buys it for Kokubogar. The GKP was just a straight upgrade so that Dai-Guard can have a Knot Punisher and hands.

quote:

It's in the Knot Punisher's animations. The GKP was never airdropped in the show.

I'm talking about Dai-Guard's parachute, the one it's supposed to use to escape when the huge heterodyne crumbles, but it deploys early and Akagi uses it to blind the Black Dai-Guard while he spears it. And then Dai-Guard plummets to the earth, because its parachute is full of huge-rear end holes from a giant harpoon thing. Would have given the animation more character, but maybe just for the ground-to-air version?

And Dai-Guard is a fantastic show.

NotALizardman fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jan 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Jiron and Gainer because King Gainer and Xabungle are great shows.

• Locked thread