Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

While Gundams are nice, I want to stick with our pals on the Supers- I mean Japan route a little while longer. Especially since there's just more craziness to come.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

I'm glad that Dai-Guard eventually gets better, though I don't know exactly how yet - the whole premise of Dai-Guard seems rather interesting and cool, in a way. I kind of enjoy the 'underdog' aspect that Dai-Guard seems to radiate, and how Akagi doesn't take that lying down.

Then again, maybe I just enjoy underdog units in general. I mean Mazinger tops the charts at being awesome, but there's only so much you can say that hasn't already been said when you're basically a mainline star in terms of appearances.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

I never managed to get into the E7 TV series when it aired(or at least not enough I could coherently follow the plot), but the fact that the movie version is even worse is especially disappointing. Regardless, I'm totally looking forward to Dark Continent shenanigans, considering I'm pretty sure I have a vague idea of what's coming next.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

God, I love Gurren-Lagann, and all the rear end it's kicking, but something about rooting for the underdog makes me really appreciate how hard Akagi tries to live up to the Super Robot pilot standard - and how well he can pull it off. What other mech would literally throw it's own arm at an airborne unit to drop it down for a drill barrage?

What I'm saying is that Dai-Guard's a pretty cool machine and I hope it comes into its own soon enough. It doesn't hurt that Rojiura no Uchuu Shounen/Back Alley Space Boy is probably a better battle theme than half the BGM tracks we've heard already.

Monathin fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Aug 22, 2012

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

GilliamYaeger posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuhegyYeZEU

Here's the clip in question. It really is something special

I do love how you don't even need the subtitles to understand the particular exchange. Akagi suggests the Rocket Punch, and his friends and coworkers can't help but go "what the hell?"

e:

KDavisJr posted:

Because the way they combine, is so outrageous, it doesn't make any sense, even by super robot standards.

It is definitely half this and half a straight up reference to the original scene in the anime. Combining is a big deal in this scene in the original anime, but it's also played for comedy because of absurdity - which is preserved here. Even Getter's pieces are built to combine with each other. Gurren Lagann is the result of ramming a robot with a drill into the cockpit of another bot - and it somehow works. So the "THEY'RE GONNA COMBINE!?" scene doesn't lose any of its impact.

Monathin fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Aug 25, 2012

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

I think I did that with half the cast of Code Geass. Especially... Diethard? I think was his name? I always just called him "that crazy PR dude", which is a pretty apt description of his role in the show.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

I remember Orange's pretty well (Jeremiah's pretty memorable even before he goes by Orange) but damned if I can remember the Pudding Earl.

Code Geass was a weird, weird show.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

Back on the topic of Gurren Lagann, I'm not sure how to feel about how Kamina works in this game. Sure, he's awesome, but it also kind of partially flies in the face of at least some canon. I guess this is to be expected to a degree, but it still kind of makes me side-eye his stats, like he's made this good less out of canon adherence and more out of his quickly-garnered reputation for being one of the manliest dudes this side of Super Robot town.

Could just be paranoia, though.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

Silentman0 posted:

It's not like it'll matter halfway through the game anyway.

Entirely true.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

It could very well be. I think really, the main point of contention I have is Kamina having the Spiral Drive skill at all, since various bits of supplemental canon have basically stated he has the weakest Spiral Energy levels out of anyone in the series.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

Omnicrom posted:

Well Kamina actually will always have a lower Spiral Power level than Simon. In fact Simon is the only person who can realistically get Spiral Power level 5 which is the maximum. So while Kamina currently has better stats than Simon, and he gets the Hotblood Spirit Command very early (which is completely in character for him) Simon will definitely eclipse him and become a better choice for the Gurren Lagann's main pilot.

I suppose I can be satisfied with this answer. I just tend to get really about how people react to Gurren Lagann sometimes. Given it's famous (or infamous, depending on how you view it) reputation.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

KDavisJr posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfUTihyusSg

I laugh my rear end off everytime I see that.

And this is why everyone in the game plays that scene completely straight - that's what happening in front of all our other teammates. Is it any wonder they reacted how they did?

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

TwoPair posted:

I was wondering how they'd handle Rossiu and the Black Family and all the other TTGL stuff that doesn't really involve giant robots directly. Turns out the answer is "all in one fell swoop" apparently.

Given Episode 4's, uh, "uniqueness" even by Gurren Lagann's standards, I don't really blame them for lumping the Black Family/Siblings together alongside introducing the rest of the initial supporting cast.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

KDavisJr posted:

i was trying to remember the episode that introduced Kittan and his sisters and two things that comes to mind: how ridiculous combining mecha can be, and how horrible the animation in that episode was compared to the other 25 episodes.

The difference has to be seen to be believed.

It also makes use of at least one piece of stock footage, which I guess evens out when this is the first episode that shows them combining for real. In that the monster of that episode uses stock re-combine footage. The episode direction itself is also as close to filler as Gurren Lagann gets - the introduction of the for-real transformation sequence for GL and the introduction to Kittan and Co. are pretty much the most important parts of that episode.

It really is awful by almost all standards.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

KDavisJr posted:

The hot springs episode later is actually filler. Nothing of any importance happens in that episode. It's funny as hell though.

Second-closest then. I always forget about the Hot Springs Episode - whoops!

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

Blhue posted:

Since I only watched the dubbed version, I assumed the semi-recap nature of that episode was a function of censorship rather than how the episode was originally. Glad I didn't miss anything important.

It's both. There's a small, highly Japanese (read as: weird) scene that was even cut from the original Japanese airing where Kamina and Simon try to vault over the divider to catch Yoko and the Black Sisters in their own bath, while also recapping their adventures. The version that aired on TV cut this in favor of a longer recap, which is also the version that got dubbed.

I'm not spoilering this because, as stated, pretty much -nothing- happens. And I'll personally take a picture eating my own hat if Z2 goes in detail into the Hot Springs Episode.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

God drat, Macross Quarter is huge. I love it's style, too. As someone who never managed to get around to seeing the various Macross shows, getting to see the big bad battleship strut its stuff was a real treat.

As for deployment...

Caphi posted:

• Trider G7
  • Shuttle
  • Gaia/Godmars
  • Cosmo Crusher
  • Wing Gundam
  • Gundam Deathscythe
  • Gundam Exia
  • Gundam Dynames
  • Gundam Kyrios
  • Gundam Virtue
  • Nova Eagle/Dancouga Nova
  • Getter Robo
  • Mazinger Z
  • Aphrodite A
  • Dai-Guard
  • Gurren-Lagann
  • VF-25F (Alto)
  • VF-25G (Michel)
  • RVF-25 (Luca)
  • VF-25S (Ozma)
  • Koenig Monster
  • Quadluun-Rea
  • Brasta

That should cover a good balance.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

At this point, based on recommendations from people's past playthroughs and just how cool Dai-Guard is on principle, I'm loathe to keep it out from any missions.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

There's quite a few units that I know we've already neglected, to the point where putting them in battle might be pretty hard.

Aphrodite A and the Trider Shuttle should run missions unless they're absolutely needed. Go for Levels, then Ace Bonus Kills (if they haven't gotten theirs yet, which I don't think they have), then either Pilot Points or Money Farming, depending on if they're going to actually be needed later. As always, if they have interesting bits, they should be brought out for shenanigans, but I have a feeling we need to buff them up between missions before doing anything.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

Yeah, throwing my favor in with GOONZ.

Also, if that's the case, I'll throw in my vote for the Team I picked originally (Godmars, Wing, Deathscythe, Exia, Dynames, Getter, Mazinger, Dai-Guard, G-L, Alto, Michel, and Brasta) and also throw in Trider because we need more of our Pre-School CEO.

EDIT: Actually, seconding the above, Ohgi and Tamaki should come along if we're playing with more Geass. Swap them out for our Macross bros for this mission.

Monathin fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Oct 18, 2012

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

Let's see how many Gs I can get away with here.

GOONZ with lines, all Gundams, plus Gurren, Guren, Getter, GodMars, (Dai)Guard, G7(Trider)... and Mazinger..

Dammit, Kouji. I almost had it.

EDIT: vvvvvv good point! In that case, Mazinger for VF-25G

Monathin fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Oct 24, 2012

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

But I want to make sure Caphi has fun. Last I checked, the Glasgows weren't fun.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

Kouji, Akagi, Simon and Kamina? Sorry Team Getter, but the immediate choice is obvious.

Let's chill on the Macross for now.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

Alacron posted:

As someone whose never seen Eureka 7, I have to say that the animation of Nirvash attacking looked awful. Just a shitload of pointless flipping around before it shot a bunch of lasers and... slashed with a knife I guess. Can't say that I'm a fan of how it looks either, or that it's AI can apparently only communicate through anime "Uguu~"s. I imagine that would get really annoying, really fast.

Yeah, even as someone with casual knowledge of E7, that sprite looks so goddamn weird and awful (is it tweening in the beginning? Come on Banpresto ) that it was hard to handle.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

quantumavenger posted:

My last playthrough of Hakai-hen, I ignored Akagi's supply function altogether, deployed him and Watta every stage so that their PP-granting skills would stack, put Guard, Will Limit Break and one of the Will+ skills, then pumped up his defense and melee stats to turn him into an engine of destruction overcoming the limitations of his poor machine by sheer strength of will.

If we could turn Akagi into a pilot who destroys Dai-Guard's limits simply by being in the pilot's seat, that'd be great. Then again, I'm of the opinion that Dai-Guard should be deployed whenever possible because it's such a great machine with great pilots.

Also I doubt it needs to be said, but I'm pretty sure unless there's some real good lines that come up that it's safe to Bench Aphrodite A for the remainder of the game. I don't see a situation in which it'll come in handy.

Gurren Lagann should get Guard because we're not a dodgy super robot . And at least one of the Gur(r)ens should get Chain Actions just in case you absolutely, positively have to mow everything down in a single turn.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

Spiritus Nox posted:

I really like this mission, and it really helped sell me on Dai-Guard as a viable unit. I hated it at first because it starts off so awful and I'm not super into its gimmick, but the characters and the machine itself grew on me throughout the game as it became more powerful, and then the game gives you Dai-Guard versus a whole horde of guys and suddenly the runt of the Super Robot litter's chewing straight through an army of terrorists for peace and justice. It's very .

Yeah, Dai-Guard's gimmicks can be take or leave with a lot of people, but it's hard not to love Akagi being a straight laced Salaryman hero among all the freedom fighters, terrorists, and whatever the hell you want to call Team Getter. Dai-Guard's initial event can probably sour it a lot, especially since later on he's supposed to become a heavy tanker through Prevail, even if he's not going to do more damage than Simon or Kallen. He will fight for peace!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

while I love Space, I agree the lineup for that doesn't sound the best. And the Area 11 route wasn't especially compelling last time, either. (As much as I love early Code Geass, it's not really easily implemented) On the other hand, we have all of the crazy mechs (Gurren, Getter, Mazinger, Dai-Guard) in one lineup.

Peacekeepers for me.

• Locked thread