Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Ashsaber posted:

The only SRW I've played that isn't OG related is J. Dancougar is kinda hilarious there, even if its plot importance is non-existant. By the end of the game you can use its finisher at like 17-18 range through the use of spirits (accael, assail and snipe), it has Three pilots with Valour, two of whom also have sprirt (the +10 will one), plus it has a skill that gives it +25% damage at 120 will or more, which stacks with valour.

Sure its defence isn't the greatest, but its offence really redeems it for me, unlike Combattler and Voltes, for whom I can't get over the issue of 'super type mobility, real type armour'.

See, I could never get past how it wasn't plot important outside of Shapiro showing up being an rear end in a top hat and running off again, and yet Shinobu keeps friggin' piping up like he's the center of attention! Granted after watching Gravion and seeing how Z2 handles it, I actually want to check it out a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Spiritus Nox posted:

Flying a tiny metal death trap into battle against a godlike giant? Zero fucks given. Chirico loving Cuuvie is not impressed with you, mr emperor of Space. :colbert:

Chirico fuckin Cuuvie is never impressed. Only person that comes close is his bestest bro ever, Kallen.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Garrod and Gainer because they both start with Ga and are both from quality shows.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

S.D. posted:

Oooh, tricky decision. Jiron, because I really like the Walker Galia, and Quattro, but with the stipulation that you put him in the Turn-A Gundam (can you slot him in there? Z1 you could swap him around but I never got deep enough into Z2 to really try pilot switching).

Yeah you can throw any UC pilot into the Turn A. Really locking people into one suit is a CE and AD thing, which makes sense considering the cast of Seed Destiny is paranoid as gently caress about letting other people use their suits and I'm pretty sure the AD suits are biolocked to the specific pilots. Fat lot of good it would do to put Setsuna in the Dynames or Virtue anyways, he can't shoot for poo poo.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Montegoraon posted:

Take everything that people liked about W. The likeable original characters. The superb inter-series integration. The difficulty level that lets you play how you like without it getting frustrating. Invert all of that, then take a giant dump on the result. Add a useless partner battle system, and a lack of respect (and plot) for any of the classical series that were included. That's K. Now remember that K is the handheld game that followed W.

Don't forget about the plagiarised music. Two of the Banpresto Original tracks were plagiarised from Chrono Trigger and Lufia II.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Gyra_Solune posted:

K did have a pretty unique cast list, most of which were new or rarely-seen shows in the franchise. Pretty much the only two frequent ones in it were SEED Destiny and Mazinger Z, everyone else by that point was mostly a newcomer. It had the Kotetsu Jeeg and Gaiking remakes fistbumping with Godannar very much in an old-school spirit, alongside the always excellent Gun X Sword and King Gainer. It also probably drew a bit more attention to Fafner in the Azure which I really liked a lot and probably wouldn't have known about if not for this game. And well, Zoids was something drat near nobody expected. Also I think Dangaioh is one of the raddest-looking robots around. Shame it couldn't merge all of them into a more cohesive story, because taken at face value, its component shows are one of my favorite line-ups in the franchise.

The three super robot shows aforementioned did gratefully get a better deal in L, though.

Didn't it also have Iczer-1 or was that L? I can't remember which one had it but it raised a fair amount of poo poo for being another series that had powered armor instead of proper giant robots.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Materant posted:

I don't recall Patlabor in Neo :confused:

Maybe you're thinking of OE?

Yeah, the only Real Robot series in Neo was G Gundam, everything else was a Super.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Gyra_Solune posted:

They even do that weird thing SRW does sometimes where a canon thing that happens (the IWSP pack) is made into a secret. W is definitely where one ought to go when looking for how SEED should go - far more focused on the awesomer spinoff manga and only even present in half of the game.

If memory serves the IWSP isn't in SEED, it's an MSV for sure, but it's not in the actual series. Heck, even in SEED HD they just redo it so Mu's dinking around with the Perfect Strike instead of the hilarious insanity that is the IWSP.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

IWSP showed up but only in the opening to SEED Destiny. It has since been effectively replaced by Perfect Strike and Strike Rouge Phoenix. The 'canonically' story has varied. Either "Cagalli used it in SEED's final battle but offscreen" (video games) or "it was created to be a propaganda upgrade for Cagalli's robot" (model kits.).

I thought it was developed for the Strike but Cagalli's neither a Coordinator or Mu La Flaga so she couldn't really use it properly.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Gyra_Solune posted:

Yeah I could've sworn the IWSP like...happened in SEED, it just saw no real use because it was stated to be very impractical and hard to actually pilot.

Nah, they never even mentioned it. Once Kira returns with the Freedom, Mu takes the Strike, and he only uses the Launcher and Aile packs with it in the regular series and the Perfect Strike in the HD remake. It was used in extra material for the CE timeline but it was never actually shown in either TV series.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Spiritus Nox posted:

Aren't the IWSP and the Perfect Strike basically the same "Give the Strike the ability of all three Striker Packs at once" design anyway?

Yeah, the primary difference is the Perfect Strike is literally the 3 Striker Packs stuck together with about 5-6 batteries to power the unit, and the IWSP uses the idea of 3 packs but with different weaponry (two medium sized swords, missiles on the wings, railguns on the shoulders, etc.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

>I really, truly just care about the fight.
Because why the hell not.

• Locked thread