Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Since you're doing all of them anyway, might as well go with the JAPAN route bandwagon early on.

Incidentally, I cannot possibly agree enough with anyone saying SRW is a gateway drug to Mecha in general. And every time you think you're caught up on the amazing stuff it introduces you to, more games with even more obscure shows pop up.

It never ends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Rigged Death Trap posted:

The further we are from someone who calls himself a 'Gundam meister of celestial being' the better.

Ugh that line is so damned cheestastic.

But cheese is tasty! Also that single conversation between him and Mr. Perfect Soldier is the best thing.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I really like how the Garada and Doublas sprites were done in this game, they're still the same super deformed old lovable goofy mooks of yore but way more detailed and mean looking.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

We've already seen what the Japan route offers, let's switch it up with the Celestial Being route. Because we need to see Heero talk with Setsuna.

Dai-Guard is definitely worth at least a try if you're into mecha, it appears to be like other super robot shows but ultimately is a lot more like Patlabor - character focused, semi-realistic, and slice of lifeish.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I never actually realized there was a flashing sign telling you when a skill activated, is that new to Z2?

I also had forgotten just how blatantly crazy Heero was at times, its been so long since Wing that I forgot about everything but his Perfect Soldier (tm) gimmick entirely.

Bob Smith posted:

I've watched all of Voltes and it's not actually bad at all as a long 70s super robot show goes - plus it was doing "the whole base is a giant battleship" long before Dancouga.

Gaiking did it a year earlier, and it was much more pronounced there

(Not that anyone cares about classic Gaiking)

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

It probably does not matter much in Z2 where you've got plenty of good units and can annihilate anything that comes close to being remotely threatening in one turn, but in many of the tougher games (64, Advance) guys like Trowa and George Sand rise up above their gundam team second stringer counterparts because being able to snipe enemies without fear of a counterattack is a godsend - plus they generally have MAPWs as well.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Snot Man posted:

I never liked Trider much at all, but okay, this is pretty great.

This single made me start to like - at least a little - Watta and Trider beyond his fantastic pilot skill. Yeah, Watta, being a small company is hard specially if you're funding giant robots.

Loving Akagi and the Kurogane five's performances, but why would anyone expect otherwise?

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Omnicrom posted:

Also round of applause, we've had our very first character returning from SRW Z1! Sort of.

Great, now I'm going to be expecting one of the originals to be (Z1 Spoiler-ish) The Edel in disguise. Thanks for raising my expectations!

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Mercury Crusader posted:

I hope this means you'll be using it a lot more often when you have the tough choice of either fielding him or not. I always find it a shame when other SRW fans pretty much only care about newer shows or whatever is the most obviously overpowered and broken mechs they can field. I'm a huge fan of old school Super Robots, because their one-dimensional black-and-white good-and-evil stories and toy commercial appeal just give me a burst of nostalgia that I shouldn't even have because I never grew up with those shows at all, yet could totally see myself watching (about the only super robot show I did watch when I was really young was Voltes V, which was, and last I heard still is, super popular in the Philippines).

I fully admit I use units almost exclusively depending on whether they're good or not, this ends in me rarely not fielding the Strike Freedom whenever possible. That said I think a lot of the charm of these games, and mecha in general, is in being able to like these shows for what they present themselves as. A lot of the time I see people complaining that classic super robots are campy and that gundams are "emo" and I can't help but think that they're missing the point.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Omnicrom posted:

As I stated earlier in the thread Shin Mazinger Z was reportedly made with SRW in mind, and they said they intentionally added a weapon that would make an ideal MAP attack. I argue they probably imagined it was Photonic Beam, though Z2.2 actually uses a completely different attack to give Mazinger a MAP attack.

As for Ranged Mazingers that's been one of Great Mazinger's traits forever in SRW, Its Thunder Break and sometime Great Booster are designed to attack from range. Also Supers with ranged finishing moves are merely uncommon, most games have one or two super robots that have really powerful ranged attacks. A weird Super Robot would probably be Baldios from Z1 who is Gigantic, heavily armored, has a special dodge ability, and is practically a dedicated Sniper. Baldios does get a stronger melee attack about halfway through and eventually a 1-4 ranged final attack but until about 75% of the way through it works works best usually by hanging back and firing Thunder Flashes.

That other special attack is the one that was imagined as a MAPW, the interview was way back when the show was announced, and IIRC they even said the name of the intended attack right then and there. The new Photon Beam in the show came out of left field, and that made it all the more awesome.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Long enough I thought it had always been Amami

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I'm one of the five people who actually liked Nova, I thought the characters given how little development they had, though SRW improves the general blandness of it all a lot, as it is known to do.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

D is the primary reason I loving hate Invaders, too. Do they have HP Regen on top of their Energy Draining attacks in Z2.1?

I didn't think Getter would show up in the CB route, but Saotome's command makes a lot of sense, and I'm not one to complain for one of the few units that is almost always amazing in every game it is featured in.

I gotta say this LP is making it so much easier for me to wait until a Vita price drop to get my own, so my wallet wants to thank you Caphi.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I just finished VOTOMS, so add me to the list of folks very much looking forward to how they put Chirico to use here. Of course the things I'm most interested in seeing about it are likely not even in this game, but still!

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

The Enforcer's cars and choppers are decent at taking out ATs in the show... but that's also because a couple guys with explosives also are. Hell, at one point (which we already passed so it isn't a spoiler) a bunch of bikers take on Chirico and almost down him.

Nice touch that the Enforcers are treated as Britannian units even during battle animations too (unless Kallen's line is a generic one she does no matter who she's fighting) overall this split looks like a very nice crossover. It is nice to have a Real route that isn't stuffed with Gundams for once.

I've seen it brought up a number of times that Chirico's special skill is too difficult to activate to make him as good as your other gamebreakers, has anyone tried increasing his HP instead of his mobility to fix that or would that just make him a bad dodgetank instead?

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Geass is quite famous for all of its mishandled potential so I'm really looking forward to SRW's take on it. A shame that some of the most interesting bits of what made Geass battles stand out in R1 can't be preserved in SRW though, there's only so much the battle animations and map events can show. On the other hand, the Sutherlands don't really stand out much usually, but I really like how SRW Z makes most grunt sprites look that much more menacing.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I found R2 really entertaining for how ridiculous it gets, but it lost a lot of what made R1 tick in my opinion. At the very least the battles themselves are only half as interesting as the ones in the first season. Though we really can't go in depth about that without spoiling things that happen aaaaall the way at the end of this game's sequel

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

You realize that you are being just as bad as the people who are overly critical of Geass' flaws, right?

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Just by being a portable group buff dispenser that would make Basara proud Zero is already great, he doesn't get EXP from buffing people though does he? Either way I bet the both of them together make for a completely bonkers combination.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Votoms' bishop is named Burroughs, you can check for romanizations in Wikipedia. I'm kind of disappointed that the path split ended without us getting the Guren, though that is hopefully happening soon, though it better get COLORS as a BGM .

Glad they made that change to Potential, skills gained by leveling are kind of annoying in a game where you can buy them with points. Either you waste points and learn later you could have gotten them for free or they don't let you buy as much as you want because the character will get it later.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Let's drop the Shuttle and Aphrodite A, because I doubt they have any interesting lines to offer and have had enough love in this continuity.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Spiritus Nox posted:

^I second this motion. Drop Trider too, if we need more space, since it bores me.

Just .

Also, I get why Votoms and Britannian mooks have unique dialogue for Gundams, being incorporated into 00's 3 Great Nations and all, but I have no bloody clue why Beastmen like to talk about them. Not that I mind the Z2 staff continuing to have fun with the worldbuilding, but still.

What makes it even better is that they shouldn't even know what a Gundam is, since the Dark Continent has been separate from the rest of the world until just now.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

KDavisJr posted:

And I still can't believe they used an attack from Gunbuster!

Gainax loves referencing itself so much that one could argue they've been basically repeating Gunbuster over and over again with all their big shows.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Spirit is the +10 Morale one in the US OG games, Drive is the +30 one.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

With twelve slots and eleven leads, let's do all leads plus the lowest leveled pilot.

Speaking of Frontier, at least one of the Pixie Squad ladies don't even get any lines in the show proper, so they don't get any here either. SRW L gives them both unvoiced portraits and lines, though, one of the reasons I prefer L's Frontier animations over Z2's.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

One of the big deals about the original mecha in MX was that they were trying to develop the "Model X" too, so they went about that pun from multiple angles . I think GC did something similar with their CUBE technology, but I can't recall the team's name offhand.

These choices are hard, I would say deploy Crowe plus the lowest leveled leads and have everyone else do Sub-Missions but I don't know how effective that may be.

And Cielo getting a cameo here made me do a takeback. I love how the SRW Team gets you going into their typical clusterfucky crossover scenarios but can still surprise you from time to time without derailing from what is happening too much.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Going to go ahead and second the motion that Caphi just goes with everyone he thinks would make for a cool update.

That was a good stage, it is pretty neat that they soften up the tensions with having the Black Knights immediately by using what is probably CG's silliest episode. At least from R1. Far too often these things go on for a bunch of stages, and then they leave lots of other series without any real screentime to them. Glad this is not looking to be the case with Z2.1.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Aim is everything I was expecting and so much more.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Two for the price of one? I'm sure not complaining.

A lot of these stages look like they'd be painful to get the SR Points for during a first run. Particularly anything involving Dai-Guard, Macross, and the Originals.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

You know I'm usually wary of anything involving Kamina being awesome because of how overplayed he is, but that was pretty cool. And oh hey, three waves of grunts in the middle of a route split, the game isn't letting up either!

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Heero and Setsuna were one of the few things I knew about this game before this LP and they're still my favorite thing about it. And man I miss old Renton, that dialogue was awful.

As for unit recommendations, as long as people with lines get deployed I don't mind whatever, but I guess it would be nice to see characters that are usually split through different routes (See: Mazinger and Gundam) out together more, maybe they have interesting support lines for each other or something.

I also can't recall any instance of Dancougar ever doing still shots with a camera like that in the original story and OVAs nor the movie, was that a thing from blazing epilogue?

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Give everyone with a decent to high Skill Attack Again. Bench Trider because while amusing he doesn't have that much to bring commentary-wise, I want to see just how awful the E7 cast gets though.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Clearly we should send the Ptolemy off to farm kills every chance we get.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I had been assuming you could at least send her on patrols regularly. That ace bonus is a complete troll.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

That's one hell of a stage, that you actually overcome all these odds (when the heroes of Gundam 00 failed at it, no less!) is amazing and moreso with the SR point. Do we get Wufei for good now?

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Materant posted:

Admittedly, you have a lot more dudes than Celestial Being did during that fight. It's not literally 4 vs. 120 anymore, and that changes a lot of that fight.

Yes, and that keeps it from feeling like an asspull, because you have a lot more series on your side than the 00 antagonists brought with them. For the most part I'm just glad that it didn't go like in the show because it would have been silly for the Thrones to turn the tide by themselves. And the fact that your sponsor is completely aware of how overpowered the party is and dares the enemies of ZEXIS/GOONZ to try standing up to them is icing on the cake.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

It is a nice touch when superbigbads like Zuul have a greater awareness of what is going on, it usually doesn't amount to much other than a few cryptic lines, but it beats the rest by far. This Zuul doesn't quite seem to be up to par with the Buff Clan from Alpha 3 or the Fallen Angels from Z1 yet but I have high hopes for him, because Godmars had cool crossovers in D.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

The Gate to Insalaum eh? I like where this is going.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Been waiting for these guys to show up, I heard things about them but had no idea just where the hell they even came from, since nothing in Z2 preview materials even mentioned them - neither did the first few stages.

Voting for Area 11 because I'm tired of all these supers and I want to see more of Geass and Votoms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Despite being a 70's mecha show, I fully recommend Zambot to anyone interested in Super Robot Wars in general whenever it comes up. I don't think we'll see much of the reasons for that (What with its plot being over) but I'll just say those kids are legitimate badasses and they better get a chance to show off.

The powerup to the Moon Attack with a Full Moon out is an amusing gimmick though, but not much more than that.

• Locked thread