Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Omnicrom posted:

Actually Mari wasn't in SRW L. The redesigned Evas were in, as were the new weapons and Angel Designs. The Evas are actually quite good in L, Eva-00 has a Shield, a repair unit, and an AT Field so it's an ideal squadmate, Eva-01 is an excellent ranged attack, and Eva-02 is a great melee fighter complete with the nifty new Harpoon Gun.

Mari is in L. But as a glorified cameo in only two scenes and not playable. Still, what is there is not too bad, it's just...SRW F Evangelion without Kaworu/EVA-03 appearing. And recycled music that's been used from previous EVA appearances (I do NOT like "Decisive Battle" personally nor am I a big fan of "Ambassador Rouge"). However, this is rectified by having Shinji be worked into other series' plots. For instance he's a classmate of Koucihi and L's protagonist, Ichitaka (I think he even calls them his senpai, but that might be my brain going off to places). Furthermore, he helps out in Godannar's finale as well as the rest of the Rebuild cast helping out the Linebarrels cast in various parts of the game. So yes, Rebuild in L is a unique experience, as it feels like what was done for SRW F while being integrated into other series' plots quite well.

Anyhew, the Heero/Setsuna bromance is just adorable. This is going to go places down the road, I can tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Silentman0 posted:

Dude's going to lose his mind in the newest one, which will have the 00 movie and SD Gundam.

It's going to be one hell of a mindfuck for Setsuna, that's for sure. Same goes pretty much both Gundam series in UX, but mostly for Setsuna. The fanart from his interactions with SD Gundam will be glorious.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Here's my personal problem with Trider (and other series that fall in this category): "He's Just There". Sure, the games try to justify his appearance, but in the end, it falls flat. I don't even think we've ever FACED Trider's main enemies in any SRW where Trider appears, so Watta literally has no reason to be in a SRW beyond his special skills (and to fuel later combination attacks, in this game at least). Furthermore, there are supers that can do Trider's job much more efficiently and can last until endgame as opposed to having to dump stuff into Watta to keep him viable. I'd say Permanently bench Watta unless you want to grind more out of his CEO skill, Caphi.

Speaking of permanent benchwarmers, Ditch the Cosmocrusher completely (as in, remove it from future voting). I literally used it in D (Godmars' last SRW appearance) for the few times it was forced deployed, and that was it. It just doesn't do much in the long run, nor does it do much in the short run either.

Regarding Takeru, I'd say give him the Guard skill, if only to help prevent the special game over tied to him. It was part of the reason I was scared to use him in D (and the armor coding bug didn't help either), so I'm looking forward to seeing him be useful.

Chirico. Okay, I know the guy can break the game over his knee with the right amount of work (Attack Again + Chain Actions + his "???" skill + Prevail Lv. 9 + Chirico in red HP = Everything Dies Horribly, The Game.), but let's be a little fair to the game. Give him the Dash skill to help get Chirico around his movement problems. Give him the Extra ISC part OR the Vernier Unit regardless of how the rest of thread voting occurs.

Lastly, give the EM Antenna to our biggest EN guzzler at the moment.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Well, here's my advice on the Gundams.

Heero: Attack Again, because the plot will probably force him to play solo whenever the writers pander to their biggest fanboy it feels like it.
Duo: Size Ignore, since...Duo usually turns out the most balanced of the Wing cast and really doesn't need much outside of what you've already given him, Caphi. Also, doesn't he have "Hyper Jammer" as a trait by default?
Trowa: Ammo Save, Dash, to get around speed and ammo consumption problems (seriously, Trowa may be a great supporter, but goddamn is he slower than molasses).
Quatre: SP Up, Guard, since he usually is a great support pilot and will need something to boost his defensive supporting.

Setsuna: Leave alone because you've pretty much done enough already with him.
Lockon: Either Combo Attack or Attack Again, depending on if you want him to be a supporter (Combo Attack) or a front-line attacker (Attack Again).
Allelujah: EN Save, for future plot events.
Vowels: EN Save or Ammo Save, since there's not much else I can see that'll work with him. Also, I forget if he has more ammo-based attacks or EN-based attacks.
Sumeragi: Supply (if you can). Also, her ace bonus is: Doubles the effect of her "Command" ability.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Got fewer recommendations this time, since we've moved past stuff I'm interested in seeing (for now):

I recommend giving Akagi "Dash", so that Dai-Guard can overcome the speed issues it has. Disregard what I said earlier and throw the Extra ISC on Dai-Guard to boost its mobility and movement.

Give the Getter Team "Spirit Block" (all three, but ESPECIALLY Hayato and Ryoma, given your playstyle), because if I remember D correctly, Invaders have stat-reducing attacks that have carried over to Z2.

Give Aoi "Dash" and one Adrenaline Ampule, for extra Dancougar Nova usage.

Give Karen "Guard", to help overcome her rather low Defense stat since her morale gains will work well with "Guard".

Give Kouji "Combo Attack", to get the most mileage out of Offensive Support Photon Beam.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Well, let's give Alto "Attack Again", if he's going to be getting some focus in later stages. Also, give the S.M.S. some PP towards their Defense stats, because they are barely over 100 for most of them. It's a shame that the Macross F cast got nerfed for this game (Messiahs are M-size, everyone lacks Pin Point Barriers) compared to their L counterparts (Messiahs are S-size, everyone has Pin Point Barriers). What really bugs me is the removal of the barriers. I can deal with the size adjustment, but why remove a method of defense for pilots with low Defense stats? It's just pure

Might as well give Renton something since he's going to be Plot RelevantTM. Uhh...I'll get back to you on that.

Crowe. I'd say give him "Spirit Block" since I have a feeling he's going to be thrown up against walls of DMs down the line. Otherwise, go with whatever you think works best, Caphi.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Omnicrom posted:

The words you're looking for are "Heroic Psychopaths". Armageddon runs close to the Manga, so Ryouma and Hayato can probably rip off peoples faces with their bare hands.
Technically, New Getter Robo is the closest to the original manga in terms of characterizations, which made NEO's cast more hilarious because you have batshit insane conspiracy theorist Hayato working alongside the Eldoran kids (to the point where a friend of mine joked that the game would be "Adventures in Eldoran Babysitting starring Hayato Jin"). But Armageddon is a close-second in terms of replicating the manga versions on-screen.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Snot Man posted:

They could probably just do what they did with the Z1 to Z2 transition, and phase out the other continuity so your team can go "Another Ryouma?" without having to bog down your team with several versions of the same people.

I'd be happy with that, so long as they don't do the same thing with Mazinger and switch Shin for SKL.
Here's the thing (Z1 spoilers): Z1 actually teased Shin Mazinger and Armageddon through its reworking of the Black History from Turn-A Gundam, as it is now a prophecy of what is to come rather than a record of the past. Z1!Ryoma sees his Armageddon version and nearly shits his pants in fear, while Z1!Kouji sees Shin Mazinger and becomes puzzled. Z2.1 or Z2.2 doesn't tease stuff like that.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I love how Elgan basically flat-out told Shiony to gently caress off with her little combined forces because he knows that GOONZ is going to hold the line and emerge victorious. And believe me when I say (without giving spoilers): this is just the tip of the iceberg regarding Elgan's plans.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Alacron posted:

I forget, is Elgan Roddick from something, or is he an original character like Crowe?
He's a Banpresto Original like Crowe. Although, like Traiya, despite Elgan having a large role in the Z2 games, he does not have a voice actor.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

And this is where Banpresto's treatment of Godmars reaches annoying for me. The entire "no fluid animation for Godmars' attacks because the show had no animation budget" gag comes off as one-note and stupid. Yes, I understand that the atmosphere in the Z universe is to animate attacks in a similar fashion to their source series, but for Godmars, it comes off as cramming the same joke into our face over and over again to the point where it shifts from funny to downright obnoxious.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Spiritus Nox posted:

Really? I didn't think it was a big deal at all - the attacks are always fluid enough to follow what's happening, and I actually think the stiffness kind of works to GodMars' favor, considering its whole gimmick as an actual tactical unit is that it's tough as hell. It looks kind of badass when it just shrugs off some enemy missile or something.
There's that, but both opening cinematics for the Z2 games feature Godmars moving with fluidity for the few shots its in them. So...why do that for the opening cinematics and not for the in-game action?

Basically, if your opening cinematics tease something, there should be an effort to see that teasing, in my opinion.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Endorph posted:

SRW is a series about fanservice. God Mars is a cheesy 80s show with no animation.

This is a weird comparison, but work with me here. Imagine if there was an equivalent game about western superheroes, and Adam West Batman was in it. You'd want his attack animations to involve flailing wildly and giant cartoon sound effects showing up to obscure the screen entirely, right? It's the same principle.
Eh, maybe it's just personal tastes then. I mean, I'm a child of the later 80s, so I'm used to the cheese of said era. But enough of that derail.

ActionZero posted:

Guys I think Ime might have made Nein Industries up. It's even in the name.
Who knows? Just because it's a fancy German name doesn't mean it's automatically fake.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Caphi posted:

STRANGE QUIRKS OF TRANSLITERATION ADVENTURES: It's ネイン, which is pronounced like "Nane". I'm not sure why. If someone knows if it means anything I'm open to information.
The only thing Google Translate gives me is the Turkish word for "mint", which I highly doubt is the case. But, given how Japanese tweaks their characters to make Western names/words work in their native tongue, it's probably "Nein" because: "ネ" = "Ne" (the biggest tip-off) and "イン" = "in", given this setup.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

And now...we get to meet a wonderful fellow that is...let's say, "very special", to avoid spoilers.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Crowe needs to level up the Lockon Stratos Social Link (Take Space Route).

Fun trivia: Our newly arrived Gaioh is voiced by Rikiya Koyama. Among his roles are Banpresto Original Ricardo Silvera (in the PSP port of the remade Lord of the Elemental game and its sequel, Revelation of Evil God), Shinigami from Soul Eater, and the Japanese dub voice for Jack Bauer in 24.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Wounded Land posted:

If Gaioh is the King of Destruction, does that mean that he's Guy Sishioh, come to enact the plot of the cancelled GGGF/Betterman sequel that everybody hated?
Wait wait wait. WHAT? Please elaborate on this. The only connection I know between those two shows is character designer and that there was an inter-series family connection between the characters.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Caphi posted:

There was apparently some sort of thing going on where it's the future and Mamoru and Kaidou pilot a Garmraid style double changer called GaoGaiGo against a bunch of (I assume) villains from Betterman and what was teased to be a returning Genesic overloaded on Za Power. There's a trailer-ish thing floating around that most of this information comes from, but it never made it to production. You can probably find it if you search around for GaoGaiGo.
I knew about the teased images and who it featured, just never knew about the actual plot of the proposed sequel. I can see how people were turned off to the idea.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Brunom1 posted:

Ah, Zambot...such an absurd amount of death that can only be provided by "Kill'em all" Tomino.

I remember using them throughout Z but, with the new wave of better units (and the lack of a squad system), they ended up being reduced to benchwarmers when I went through both Z2s.
As it should, since it was Tomino's first proper "Kill 'Em All" series (seriously, at the end of the series Kappei, who acted like a total jerk for most of the series, is among the few that live and is the most devastated by all of the losses. To wit, Uchuta and Keiko both die, the dog dies, and most of Kappei's family--and by extension, the King Beal's crew--dies). However, it was Space Runaway Ideon (and its movie compliations) that established Tomino's reputation as "Kill 'Em All" Tomino.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Viola the Mad posted:

So are we going to go through the ZEUTHers' stories as well? Or are we just going to focus on the guys who have already been introduced?
No. Like Omnicrom said, every ZEUTH returner has no plot from their source series. But what's even more disappointing is just how much of ZEUTH is compressed down to fit the PSP's limits. You are going to see a lot more ZEUTH characters than useable pilots and units as we go along.

If anything, the ZEUTH members show off just what could have happened if Sony hadn't declared the PS2 dead in the water so they could sell their shiny new PS3 and keep the PSP alive for a little longer.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Spiritus Nox posted:

Well, you might already know this, but it did - Z1 is explicitly set after the climax of Xabungle.
Not the conclusion of Xabungle, but actually Xabungle Graffiti, the movie compliation (even though Z1 lists Xabungle TV). The biggest change is that Arthur Rank is still alive, and his survival is explicitly mentioned in Z1, but other than that, there's not much else changed.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

You what I feel the most disappointed about Gundam X? Witz. Specifically, his voice actor Kazuya Nakai. His performances in the Z games are just...utterly underwhelming. He literally phones in Witz's lines and doesn't really put much behind them. I can forgive his limited performance in Alpha Gaiden due to the limitations of the time and when the game came out, but Z1 and the Z2 games have come out well after he's hit some big roles (Roronoa Zoro and Date Masamune, for instance) and become a recognizable voice actor. And yet, he treats Witz (one of his earliest roles) like it's something mundane. You'd think someone who has made it big would have fun coming back to old roles, but Nakai doesn't. I'm not asking for award-winning performances, but Nakai could at least throw in a little effort into the role.

Regardless, the only real reason that X is here is to throw in mystery surrounding the Z2 universe (the whole part about the Satellite Cannon working in a parallel universe). A role that could have been handled by just about anyone else. Seriously, it's at this point that the returning series become less fanservice and more akin to dead weight/stupidly pointless. I really wish that Z2 had stuck to just the new series added in for this game, but what we get instead is unnecessary cast bloating, something that producer Takanobu Terada said that Banpresto would work to avoid after the gargantuan cast size of Alpha 3.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Dr Pepper posted:

I really don't get why in the world they removed the Squad system. Technical limitations? Could the PSP just not handle it?
That's the popular theory on the reasoning. Z2 was designed as a Playstation 2 game from the beginning, but then Sony decided to rudely and arbitrarily kill off the console in order to make room for the Playstation 3 (even though the PS2 was a huge financial success and praised by developers), so what was already designed had to be compressed and squeezed into a system engine that could barely handle PS2-level graphics. And then, it gets released at the very end of the PSP's lifecycle (seriously, the Vita--which can sort of handle PS2-level graphics--came out like a couple of months before Z2.2 arrived on the PSP), making the switch to the PSP even more bizarre. And just to add salt to the wound, SRW L came out right before Z2.1 on the DS, and that game HAD a squad system that worked wonderfully, to the point that 2nd Original Generations borrowed design cues from L's Partner System for the revised Twin System for 2nd OGs.

In short, we may never know why the change truly happened, but what is clear is that the flaws in the changes made to Z2's gameplay mechanics (which in turn bleeds over to the playable cast list) are going to become more glaringly obvious as we go on.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

TwoPair posted:

I've never gotten why they always use Sure Promise for battle music in Z. Sure, it's a great song, but the other version sounds so much more fit for a battle in a game. But yes, Big O in every game forever.
Part of the reason is that Big O's staff got into trouble with the show's opening theme "Big O" sounding way too similar to "Flash Gordon" by Queen (as evidenced in the Bandai Legends re-release of the series removing the song altogether), leaving limited choices for music.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Wounded Land posted:

Man, Marguerite's cut-in is embarrassing as hell.
Japan had a field day when that cut-in showed up in one of the Z2.1 PVs. And yes, I mean all forms of the term "field day".

Alas, poor Kei. You were a tiny-sized death machine in Z1, murdering everything left and right, and almost comparable to Chirico in this game (Chirico has a few more broken stats that put him above Kei, IMO). And now....you're reduced to sub-par at best and "super-glued and welded to the bench" at worst. Even with the addition of Chain Actions, Kei still has to be trained up to come close to his Z1 status. If anything, Kei is one of the returning characters that suffers the most due to the system changes, right alongside Garrod and Renton (okay, Renton technically isn't a returning character, but my point still stands).

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Wounded Land posted:

Isn't there a secret you can do in Alpha where Max has himself reverse-micronized so they both fly Queadlun-Raus?
Yes, there is. I forget what the requirements are, but what you essentially get is DYRL!Max, where he does exactly that.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Endorph posted:

How the hell can Knightmares work in space? Or Dai-Guard? Or that one dude in Linebarrels who's just a dude on foot?
Jack Smith has a logical plot point for why he can hop into space without consequences. He's a human-sized Arma, so technically he qualifies as a cyborg, meaning he can get away with running around in space. Granted, he's got a B rank in space to offset this, but still. It's the same reason the Iczers and Atross are able to do the same: they're alien lesbian androids.

SaitoBatch posted:

So here's my question, can someone explain how ATs can go into space and not utterly suck? I honestly want to call BS, but I know your team can do it with not space mechas like Arm Slaves in other SRT games.
Most SRWs have a one-scene wonder moment where a chief mechanic from a featured series explains to the mech pilots with space-flight issues that there is now a bullshit reason for how they have gotten around the problem. In the past, this role usually falls to Astionage Mendoz of Zeta Gundam fame. To date, Astionage is responsible for: Aura Battlers, EVAs, Megadueces (okay, just Big O, but nitpicks), and Walker Machines (Z1 only. In Alpha Gaiden, the Xabungle cast are just told to throw on space suits and do it live) having space flight capabilites. Uribitake in J handled the Arm Slaves while GGG did the same in W, and Sakon from Gaiking: LoDM is responsible for the Zoids in K and I believe the Fafners as well.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Endorph posted:

Z2 Animations have some nice touches too. Dai-Guard has about 50 thrusters stuck to him, if I remember right.
There's also one of Dai-Guard's Ground-to-Air attack variations where Akagi does the Improvised Rocket Punch first, then perfoms the normal attack.

Granted, the Improvised Rocket Punch should have been its own separate attack.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Hello, SEED cast. And Kamille.

So, as you'd expect, these guys got neutered as well, with the Just-Admit-You're-Gay-For-Each-Other-Already Duo (aka, Kira and Athrun) surviving with the least amount of nerfs. Because of course the Mary Sues get the least amount of nerfs, otherwise you lose the SEED fanboys! *ahem* Kamille and Shinn are a close second, losing the Wave Rider Crash and Full Weapon Combination, respectively. Both are okay in this game...but they now lack the firepower that made them very good in Z1. Lunamaria and the Impulse have lost the most, due to losing both the versatile Blast Silhouette and equally useful Sword Silhouette. And again, what is it with Banpresto and not using the combat knives that the Strike and Impulse both have outside of the units being pack-less? Especially here, when Impulse is heavily neutered due to the gameplay changes, why not add them as an extra attack? Sure, at best they'd be 1-2 or 1-3 range melee attacks, but it'd be SOMETHING for Impulse to have to keep it up with the other units.

Regarding music: Is there some stupid bullshit red tape executive mandate preventing Banpresto from using Zeta Gundam's proper opening or ending themes? We haven't heard any of them since, brace yourselves, ADVANCE AND ALPHA GAIDEN BACK IN 2001. You know, NEARLY 12 YEARS AGO. Hell, Advance Portable CHANGED Zeta's theme to the usual insert BGMs that EVERY. loving. SRW. USES. TO. GODDAMN. DEATH.

If you haven't noticed, I am very very VERY tired of the same old BGMs being used for Zeta Gundam over and over and over and over and OVER AGAIN. Just for once, Banpresto, USE THE loving PROPER OPENING AND ENDING THEMES FOR THIS SHOW! You were able to do it 12 years ago, so what's changed now?

Okay. *deep breath* SEED Destiny music. Banpresto, stop fellating T.M.Revolution please. Use other themes, like Pride or Bokutachi no Yukue (like you did for ACE:R) or some of the other ending themes like Life Goes On (like you did in UX). Just don't use Wings of Word, please. Set that fucker on fire and beat it to death with an ugly stick. And not just for SEED Destiny. Should you use SEED again, stuff Invoke into a box, punt it into the sun and use themes like Moment or Believe instead. Thank you.

Oh. Fa's here. Ummm....
.....uhhh....
.....she exists. That's about it.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Endorph posted:

T.M. Revolution is the best, screw you.
Considering that since Alpha 3, every SRW with the Cosmic Era has had at least 1 T.M. Revolution song with the exception of Judgment, W, and UX (all three have none), I believe it's a time for a break from using T.M. Revolution.

It's how I feel about Last Impression being driven into the ground non-stop for Endless Waltz. Use White Reflection again, Banpresto. It's not going to bite you.

Edit:

Omnicrom posted:

Yes. American Composer Neil Sedaka composed the melodies for both openings and the ending and based them on his own music. He got the rights around the year 2000 holds all three songs in a brutal deathgrip and has refused to let anyone use them, it's why the American DVD releases of Zeta Gundam used an instrumental track from the show for the opening, why they're basically in no games at all, and why the openings and endings of Zeta Gundam have Youtube on full copyright Nazi mode fair use be damned. Basically unless he has a change of mind or dies letting someone else snap up the rights we're going to have MS in a Flash and Riders in the Sky as the only Zeta themes into perpetuity. I have no problem with Riders in the Sky but someday I dream that something happens that lets us hear Toki wo Koete again.
Ouch. That...that's almost as bad as the redtape clusterfuck regarding Giant Robo.

AradoBalanga fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Apr 29, 2013

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Viola the Mad posted:

That's...uh..that's one hell of a frowny face, Shinn.

That shot aside, I'm finding the SEED faces hilarious. Did they always look so stoned in the show?
Welcome to modern Hisashi Hirai character design. Before the 2000s, he had a lot of dynamic character designs with a variety of facial experssions, but that all changed around the time of Gundam SEED. How did this change come about, you ask? Studios kept rejecting his more complex designs over and over again, to the point Hirai just got fed up and went with his "characters with near-emotionless faces that can be very easily interchangeable" designs as a "gently caress YOU!" to studios. But....studios LOVED IT. So, basically Hirai tried to get back at studios for rejecting his work only to get reverse trolled back. He's been weaning off this design a little (see the Linebarrels of Iron anime where there are more than one facial expression per character), but his character designs are very, very flat and fuel for many jokes.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

The reason Hirai seemed to have been chosen for SEED is that Hirai was the protege of another artist, Hirokazu Hisayuki, who worked with SEED's director Mitsuo Fukuda on his two previous shows. (Cyber Formula GPX and GEAR Fighter Dendoh.) Hisayuki was probably the guy they wanted for SEED but it got passed along to Hirai. The rest is horrible horrible samefaced history.
I kinda want to see a parallel universe where Hisayuki did get the character design job for SEED.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

And so SRW breaks the soul of another LPer.

Thanks for what you've done so far, Caphi.
At least Caphi made it this far, introducing essentially everyone that's important in the game (Originals-wise). The only major Original character in this game that we didn't meet is Cheval Reptail, another knight working alongside Marguerite. And we didn't get his awesome theme, "Impenetrable Emerald". Also, we missed Elgan Roddick going full commando on Stinger and Cohen. And Musashi FINALLY getting to pilot Shin Getter 3. Actually, we did miss some cool moments, but hey, that's life.

On the bright side, we didn't have to put up with the dumb bullshit of the E7 movie! That's the best thing ever.

Good luck with your future endeavors, Caphi. This has been a blast to read.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Caphi posted:

That's pretty good to hear. Everybody wins!

I admit to liking Gravion with some reservations, but it's one of those shows where if it doesn't make you giggle a lot you'll just think it's the stupidest loving thing. Also, Obari breasts. It can't exactly take on Marriage of God and Soul Godannar, but it's up there. At least there aren't any tit robots, and it tries to go dark in the second season.

Also, I legit miss Sandman's God Sigma Gravion. It's not coming back until Restoration.
Well.....technically Eina is Gravion's tit robot. She just happens to be normal human-sized and with a modestly sized chest. And a ninja. And a maid. Because Masami Obari is that loving insane.

I do agree that Gravion's theme here is...bleh. "God Merge! God Gravion!" or as you suggested "Flame Lord Combination! Sol Gravion!" would have been much better. Shame that Sandman decided to sit this game out. I honestly have no idea why Sandman isn't available in this game despite being in cutscenes other than Banpresto deciding that Sandman is the "magically appearing upgrade for Sasei Hen for ZEUTH members". Which is dumb. Because, for all its stupidity, Koyasu had the time of his life voicing Sandman and making the character stand out more than he needed to. And in a game with people like Kamina and Lelouch, Sandman deserves his 15 minutes on stage.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

TK-31 posted:

Wait UX is a 3-parter? That game must feel rushed as heck. I'm a bit surprised they went ahead and did something like that without Age though.
It's not a case of "three games shoved into one game". It actually is "three different arcs resulting from a time loop that was created to prevent the Hindu goddess of destruction from ending everything".

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Viola the Mad posted:

I think I'm with Tieria on these guys. What the gently caress is Aquarion? Do I need to watch this show?
In short: Aquarion is Shoji Kawamori tripping acid on OVERDRIVE. The Mugen Punch is the most sane thing to come from the show. No, I am not making that up; it really is the most sensical thing in the show. Especially when you get to major reveals in the show, and those alone are several levels of . Side-note: Sirius is voiced by Tomokazu Sugita, not Takehito Koyasu. A lot of people make that mistake. Like me.

Hellioning posted:

Given that Z has Aquarion and Eureka 7 combined with Turn A and Gundam X, I have to wonder why there weren't more complaints of the former two's love of moon vandalism. Or maybe I just missed them.
I believe when you fight Gym Ghingham in Z1 with Aquarion, he says something along the lines of "You! You're the one who keeps punching the Moon!", but beyond that, not much else gets mentioned.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Spiritus Nox posted:

...Wait a sec! Big Z1 endgame spoilers in the tag. Now that I think about it, am I supposed to know where the hell Apollo and Sirius came from? Didn't they vanish with Aquarion and Touma at the end of Z1 when they used Aquarion to merge with the big Dimensional Tree/Coralian thing to help rebuild the world? Or am I just completely misremembering?
Z Special Disk explains it. They return during the bonus King Gainer XAN mini-campaign and bring back Aquarion.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

veekie posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ew2euFH2JM

How the gently caress did that work?!
Like I said before, Aquarion is Shoji Kawamori tripping acid on OVERDRIVE. Trying to make sense of Aquarion's attacks will only cause pain and suffering. Trying to make sense of the plot reveals in the show adds further agony. You're better off throwing your hands in the air and just accepting what's there.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

So, which route split will be kept Caphi?

veekie posted:

The pilot's seat for the Gawain is a throne?
Yes. And it's supposed to be taken seriously.
Code Geass really is the best unintentional comedy at times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Ah, Dancougar. Such a classic boss killer that has the durability of wet tissue paper. Shame that it's future in the franchise is up in the air given that Kazuki Yao is slowly losing his iconic voice. Then again, he's handling Judau Ashta in Operation Extend, so...maybe he's getting better. Or Banpresto is falling back on recycled audio clips.

Votes:
Bring: Shinn, Lunamaria, Aquarion, Dai-Guard, Kallen, Chirico, Alto, Ozma, Gravion, Dancougar Nova, three votes to permabench the Eureka 7 cast and one to permabench Watta.

• Locked thread