Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

What sucks about Cheval/Shuval is that he's the unfortunate victim of a very obvious last-minute rewrite to the plot (which we won't see for a while). And for all that ham, Norio Wakamoto DOESN'T voice him. Instead, he's voiced by Takehiro Murozono. Who oddly enough is the Japanese dub actor for Freddie Prinze Jr. in the "I Know What You Did Last Summer" movies, among other roles like Vato Falman from the first Fullmetal Alchemist TV series.

"Impenetrable Emerald" is an awesome theme, regardless. I love how it has the same intro bit as Margeruite's theme, but then goes off into a heavy rock theme as opposed to an orchestral theme like "Falling Tears of a Pearl" is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Well, we've been joined by two unique robots. Unique in that their lead pilots (Toshiya and Marin) had to be recast due to the deaths of the original actors. If Marin's new VA sounds familiar, that's because it's the same VA who was brought in to do Jotaro Kid for Alpha Gaiden, and would reprise the role for GC/XO and NEO. Toshiya's new VA should be recognizable, as it's Domon's VA; fun fact, Seki himself BEGGED for the role of Toshiya when he heard that Godsigma was debuting in Z, as he is a fan of the show.

As for the mechs themselves....Baldios is the only real interesting one because it's huge (2L size, IIRC) but can dodge like crazy thanks to its Hyperspace Warp thingie. Godsigma...is just a robot with a semi-cowboy hat on top and notable for being part of the voice bug in Z, where certain characters (Juli, in this case) had their lines played back at a much slower speed than they were recorded. Granted, Juli wasn't the worst case. No, that went to one of Orguss' supporting cast (who doesn't show up in either Z2 game), who had her voice played back so slow, you'd think it was run through a vocal distortion program.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Brunom1 posted:

Holy crap...I knew I wasn't crazy!
Every time I had Kei pull a TRI attack with Mai, the voice sounded so distorted - I thought there was something wrong with my disk.

I never noticed anything wrong with Juli but I guess it wasn't as evident as the other one.
Yeah. Some people jokingly called it the "Koyasu Bug" since it happened with 3 out of the 4 roles Koyasu voiced in the game (Neo/Mu, Asuham, and Gym). But, if you listen to Juli's lines, they're being played slower and at a deeper octave than they should be.

There was a video of the affected lines and how they should sound at normal speeds, but I can't seem to find it.
EDIT: Found them, if you want to reference them in your upcoming Z LP.

http://www.nicozon.net/watch/sm4781031 <--This one has Juli's lines and the Orguss girl.
http://www.nicozon.net/watch/sm4828195

AradoBalanga fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Aug 5, 2013

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Small correction, Caphi. The Dai-Guard pilots learned Spirit/Yell, not Drive which is this: 気迫.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Omnicrom posted:

Let's Unleash the Tornado!

You know exactly what I mean Caphi.
Dude, spoilers.

Let's go to Japan.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Alacron posted:

Um, I really have no preference at this point so Do whatever the post the post above this one says

So can someone explain Eureka 7 for me? I'm guessing that the writing on the moon is a reference to something, maybe from Z1? I'm assuming that the whole rapid aging thing wasn't in the TV show version, (I haven't seen either version of E7) is this why people tend to not like the movie version? From what little I can gather the Gekko crew seems to be a bunch of douchebags. Is the rapid aging thing as nonsensical as it seems right now? Is it this weird in the movie?

I feel like I can mostly follow what's going on with other series stories, particularly the ones that I know better, but the E7 stuff just leaves me a strange mixture of confused and bored.

Edit: If your problem is that you age too fast, why would you call yourselves "Children of Neverland" or whatever? The whole thing with Neverland was that they didn't age.
Welcome to the madness that is the Eureka 7 movie. It is literally "Here, let's take some fun and interesting characters, poo poo all over their development and previously established personalities, and while we're at it, make everything stupid."

:siren:Some Eureka 7 movie spoilers:siren:
The whole concept of the movie is just baffling, ranging from stupid rewrites to characterizations to blatant recycled animation from the TV series with revised dialogue. Yes, a movie with a slightly higher budget resorted to recycling animation from the TV series. As for what's going on, part of the movie revolves around Eureka being considered this magical fairy figure (think Tinkerbell) that'll guarantee entrance to Neverland. Except she sort of is and sort of isn't. The game will probably get into that soon. Also, the film implies that "Neverland" is essentially the universe from the TV series, as others have mentioned. So yeah. There's more that's just :barf: inducing due to the more disturbing subject matter, but I'm going to avoid that part for now.

Personally, go watch the TV series. It's a great show and entertaining. Avoid the movie like it's a goddamn pandemic-level plague.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Brunom1 posted:

And then he went on to make Zeta and Victory Gundam... :unsmigghh:
And Aura Battler Dunbine. A series that ends with only Cham, the little fairy companion to Shou, surviving the Byston Well's destruction. And she only survived because Tomino had a soft spot for her voice actress.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

SaitoBatch posted:

Anyone who's seen it. Sorry, I meant everyone who's ever suffered through that.....abomination. But Tomino recovered right? Didn't he make something after that? I think it was Brain Powerd but I'm not at all sure.
Garzey's Wing, for all of the flaws per second it has, gets a few respect points from me because it was indeed Tomino's first major project after recovering from his worst bout of depression. Seriously, Tomino was a mental wreck during Victory Gundam, and it shows in his work. And yes, Brain Powered was Tomino's second post-depression project. And no, it's not Tomino's response to Evangelion like about a million people think it is. It's...well, it's...Tomino getting back into doing a full series again for one thing. And...it's a weird series, to say the least.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Spiritus Nox posted:

That still doesn't explain why, if Chip and Ironicus' Anime Theatre of it is any indication, Tomino apparently forgot how to let a story take a breath for even a millisecond when he made Garzey's Wing.

Honestly - the hilariously terrible dub (WE MUST SOMEHOW EXTRACT OURSELVES FROM THIS CONVOLUTED SITUATION!! :gonk:) certainly did it no favors, but I still have no idea what Tomino was on when he made it.
Personally, since it takes place in the Byston Well, I feel like someone asked Tomino to do an expanded universe for Dunbine (despite the entire universe being, you know, completely annihilated at the end of Dunbine's movie via the Byston Well itself going thermonuclear) and Tomino decided to nip that in the bud with Garzey's Wing and its terrible pacing and story.

Remember, Tomino's justification for character deaths (back when he was working on Gundam) was to prevent sequels from happening. Garzey's Wing was Tomino taking a different path to sequel prevention. A bizarre and messed up path, but a different path nonetheless. Then again, he did later do Wings of Rean....so....yeah.

Also, anyone who hasn't seen the English dub for Garzey's Wing, go take a moment to watch the first episode and bask in its glory. It is.....an experience.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Spiritus Nox posted:

:unsmith:

I really do like the dynamic between Crowe and Lockon. Doesn't seem like many games of an original character pal up with a licensed one.
Other games do it, just not in the amount that the Z games do with their protagonists. The closest that any other SRW games come to this level are MX, W and L. Kazuma interacts with a good majority of the cast and has a lot of influence on their behavior (see: Flay Allster actually admitting she was a bitch to Kira and Sai and taking steps to redeem herself). Ichitaka has a similar situation that Crowe has here, except Ichitaka's pals are Kouichi Hayase and Shinji Ikari (as they were classmates before Shinji transferred out to kick off Rebuild of EVA), plus Ichitaka takes a page from Kazuma's book and influences a majority of his game's cast. Hugo and Aqua have a close relationship with the Dragonar cast and they become side characters in Hugo and Aqua's story, much like how Kai and the Aggressors filled that role in Second Original Generations.

Other than those three, the only really big original/featured series interaction is in R where the chosen protagonist (Raul or Fiona) convinces Char to abandon his plans for CCA via discussion about how the future turns out.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Brunom1 posted:

Now, for today's new song:

It's...OK, I guess. It has the gravitas you'd expect from a "strongest attack" theme but I'm not very impressed by it.
I certainly don't like it as much as Daybreak's Bell.
This reminds me that the greatest disappointment of this game is the lack of "Counterattack" as a BGM.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Hellioning posted:

This is CE. Naturals suck at everything.
Except being whiny racist assholes. Or colossal douchebags. Naturals excel in those departments GREATLY.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Endorph posted:

Honestly, at this point, what the hell hasn't Ashura fought? They've squared off against everything from Gundams to Gunbuster.
Quite a number of things, mostly due to the fact the following list are from games where Mazinger/Mazinkaiser is post-script (i.e., Ashura's deader than disco), not appearing at all (i.e., SKL), and/or in the game to be functional dead weight (aka Super Robot Wars K).

--Linebarrels of Iron (TV and original manga)
--Professional Murder Machine Dann of Thursday (and the rest of the GunXSword cast)
--Virtual-On/Fei Yen HD
--SD Gundam
--Gundam AGE
--Wings of Rean
--Demonbane (TV and VN versions)
--Mazinkaiser SKL
--Fafner of the Azure/Heaven and Earth
--Gaiking: Legend of Daikyu Maryu (okay, technically Ashura's faced 70s Gaiking already, but still)
--Escaflowne
--Betterman
--Acrobunch
--Rahxephon
--Zeorymer (Whoops, forgot about J :doh:)
--Shin Jeeg (again, Ashura's faced classic Jeeg, not Loveable Dimwit Kenji and Shin Jeeg)
--New Getter Robo and Shin Getter vs. Neo Getter (Forgot about Shin vs. Neo in GC as well :doh:)
--Every Eldoran series except RaijinOh (RaijinOh was in GC, where the Mazinkaiser OVA debuted)

AradoBalanga fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Oct 23, 2013

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Brunom1 posted:

I believe the DS SRW games were the last ones to actually carry over upgrades done to the units themselves; I remember that happening on the OG gameboy games and I does happen in W.

Must be something they phased out with the jump to the PS2.
I think W was the last time upgrades to mechs carried over to successive playthroughs. K began the trend of only having pilot upgrades carry over to successive playthroughs, which seems to have stuck for the time being.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

The moral of the movie was "Don't try and recreate someone else's story, make your own." Which is nice-sounding and all, only the way it came across was "Why did you come to this E7 movie to watch E7, you're silly."

They were kind of shooting themselves in the feet there. THe movie itself being a mess didn't help.
Yeah. It's a nice message and everything, the problem is that, as you said, the movie openly mocks you for thinking you were coming to see what made Eureka 7 work be translated onto the big screen. If it didn't go for this gigantic alteration of goddamn everything, the movie might have been decent. Instead, you're left with a mess of things and a bad experience.

Z2 tries to fix that by tying it all into the whole Z lore using a plot thread from Pocket Full of Rainbows (the "alternate universe" in the film is the E7 TV series universe, instead of the ZEUTH world), but....the E7 units suck and aren't all that fun to use. Plus, Renton and Holland get blown away by the returning ZEUTH units and GOONZ units, so why bother having them? Using something just to make sure the rest of the plot doesn't collapse under its own weight is something I don't like, and SRW is guilty of doing this at times. But, if you can make the units fun to use, I can overlook that. Here, it doesn't work.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Naming changes aside (I'm sticking with Shin since I'm more used to that), let's look at this stage's big upgrade: Shin Getter Robo. Something has happened for the first time in the entirety of the SRW franchise in this stage: Musashi is finally piloting Shin Getter 3.

Let me repeat that: Musashi Tomoe is finally piloting Shin Getter 3.

Why is this so big? Well, Musashi is infamous to the franchise. Either he dies like he does in series/OVA before we even reach this upgrade (see: Destiny and Reversal), his death actually triggers or awakens Shin Getter Robo (see: Alpha 2/3), or he lives but gets demoted to the weaker Getters (see: Alpha Gaiden and many more). Never has Musashi actually had the chance to sit at the controls of Shin Getter 3 until this very game. This is, in essence, a landmark moment for the SRW franchise.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Dr Pepper posted:

Watta is a grade school aged CEO piloting his corporation's Super Robot, fighting evil while trying to keep his company in the black.

He's great.
And will never face his series' enemies in SRW. Because....I honestly don't know. Is there some licensing bullshit behind this, or are Trider's enemies just that bland and not entertaining?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Let's go for the Space Route.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Heh. Marin calling himself an alien is hilarious if you're familiar with Baldios.

If it's alright with Brunom and Dr. Pepper, I'll elaborate here on that since it's a GIGANTIC end-game plot spoiler for both Z1 and Baldios itself.

Also, brace yourselves folks. Norio Wakamoto is about crash into view at top speed with his Moon Will performance.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Brunom1 posted:

Hmm, well...this IS the sequel thread so I can't really argument against posting details of Z1's plot; still, Z2.1 barely went into details regarding the previous plot so, if anything, I'd request that you refrain from going too deeply into the original story.

In the end, what you divulge is your call as this isn't the Z thread.
I'll just hold off on it since Baldios is a big part of Z1's plot. If you want to know what I would have spoiled, hang around the Z1 LP folks!

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Alacron posted:

Didn't Wakamoto also voice Charles in Code Geass? Would be a shame if Moon WILL gets iced before they have a chance to have a Wakamoto-off. :allears:
Yes, he did. However, Charles doesn't do much in Geass' first season outside of what we've seen in this game (the Clovis speech, for instance)...so a Wakamoto-off is sadly out of the question. :negative:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Dr Pepper posted:

Does Wakamoto voice anyone in Z1?

I should know this info in advance.
Off the top of my head...no, unfortunately. :smith:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Small error with Banjo, Caphi. You put down that he has A Class Psychic for a pilot skill...when he doesn't.

Voting for Orguss and Turn-A.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Dr Pepper posted:

Wasn't this the first SRW developed after Banpresto became a part of Namco-Bandai?

Basically it was more expensive to get licences for non SD versions of Gundams, so they weren't ever put in cutins. But once they became part of the company that owns the Gundam IP this became a non issue.
No, the rejoining with Bandai-Namco happened in 2008, right around the time Z1 was in development. So technically Z1 was the first to be released under Bamco's control.

Unless you want to consider their first SRW after returning the Bamco fold in 2009.....which was K.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Rodyle posted:

I've heard a lot of people complain about K, what exactly was so bad about it?
As others have mentioned, it takes what worked in W and trashes it completely. But the worst thing is that you have a protagonist so despised by fanbase, he's become a meme used to piss people off. No other Banpresto Original has reached that level of hatred within the fanbase.

Which leads into probably my biggest complaint with the game: the very poor writing and pacing. The game jumps from series introduction to series introduction (especially in the early game) and you have very little time to rest and take in everything. In the mid-game, youh have a lot of two-part stages that could easily have been trimmed to a single stage and only exist to pad out the game. Then, there's Mist. Mist Rex is built as the typical "rear end in a top hat protagonist who gets better over time due to experiences" archetype. Except, around midway through the game, the plot drops the "getting better" part and leaves Mist's character unchanged. He stays a hypocritical rear end in a top hat all the way to the end and, most importantly, never gets called out for his actions or insults. Some of the things Mist says in-game are downright insulting to the people he berates, which then becomes hypocrisy since many of his insults also are about character traits he himself has. And when the final boss of the game, who destroyed Mist's home planet, is finally sealed away....Mist's response is to straight-up gloss over the fact that someone else gave their life to seal the boss away (Fafner's own Soushi Minashiro). Do note that one of Mist's driving forces in-game is to avenge his planet's demise. And when that happens, he's literally "Meh, whatever. It was a fun journey." to everyone else. Soushi's death registers as nothing to him.

I'd almost take it upon myself to LP the game, but I'd rather not spend 75% the thread pointing out continuity issues and complaints. Even if the remaining 25% of the thread would be the "Dann of Thursday Murders Everything Show".

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Gyra_Solune posted:

Hold. Up. Are you goddamn kidding, he let Soushi sacrifice himself to seal the final boss? And not, like...himself? When he was /there/ when Soushi was being all absorbed probably super painfully by the Festum? ...FFS, Soushi was the best though. :( I will never forgive him.
Yes. Mist really just lets Soushi do that (even if the whole sacrifice was to kind of tease Heaven and Earth's plot), and then straight up doesn't give a poo poo about the whole act during the epilogue. Mind you, he has seen multiple times where people selflessly sacrifice themselves for the team, up to and including Mist participating in rescuing Angelica's father and Sheldia's sister. And those two were either possessed by Gastum, Ru Cobol's top lieutenant, or by Ru Cobol himself (depending on your choices). It's why I criticize the writing in K the most; Mist rescues someone very important to him from Ru Cobol's possession not even an hour before Soushi sacrifices himself to seal Ru Cobol, and Mist doesn't show any grief? That is bad writing at its finest.

Thankfully, nearly all of K's debuts get to shine in later, much better games. Well, except for Zoids Genesis, GunxSword and Stargazer.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I'd show off how 00 handled Lockon's death. If nearly every search for video featuring the death scene didn't link back to AMVs using random stupid songs over the actual death, among which includes that one goddamn Simple Plan song (you know the one).

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Gyra_Solune posted:

Yeah I could've sworn the IWSP like...happened in SEED, it just saw no real use because it was stated to be very impractical and hard to actually pilot.
You might be thinking of the Lightning Striker pack that kind of got mentioned in SEED. This was supposed to go to Mwu...but then the Kusunagi's staff (who are all Morgenrote employees and built the drat thing) damages the pack during testing beyond repair. W then made it a secret that involved Mwu's kill count and he auto-equips it on stage 46 if you got it.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Onmi posted:

Incidentally, SRW could you remember that G-Gundam has normally piloted Mobile Suits that aren't the Death Army.
Addendum: Banpresto, you do know that Domon is part of the Shuffle Alliance, right? Yeah, the dude can solo armies on his own, but he does have four other buddies who can back him up and/or match him in strength.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

So, if Cheval sounded like he was going to join up with you here before Gaioh cockblocked him, that's because he was in an earlier draft of the game. This gets revealed further via digging into the game's audio files (both here and I believe the sequel as well) where certain bosses like Zuul and Gaioh have unique dialogue lines for fighting Cheval if he was a player unit. I really have no idea why they opted to kill off Cheval instead of letting him live, other than the usual "the script changed as development went on" reason.

But enough about the interesting stuff, let's wrap up the nonsense that is the Eureka 7 movie. UGH. The whole revelation about Talho being pregnant? Yeah, by this point in the film, Holland already KNOWS this. This makes his fight with Renton come off as even dumber in the film, if you can imagine. I really can't say much else to this, except that I am GLAD the E7 movie is now over and done with. Sadly, its appearance in the sequel is literally to have movie Nirvash again as a playable unit. Which, as this game has shown us, is absolute crap when compared to its TV incarnation seen in Z1. Well, at least we don't get the actual movie ending, where Renton get seriously injured fighting Image and is about to die, so Eureka sacrifices literally everything to let him live in a parallel world together, presumably the "Neverland" the Gekko crew has been ranting on about. And by "everything", I mean Eureka is reduced to a completely naked girl who can no longer talk outside of random gibberish. And Renton has absolutely no objections to the girl he loves being turned into this state. At all.

gently caress the E7 movie. :cripes:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

You know I agree the movie really isn't that good but your memory of it is even worse. I mean wow.

Literally the only thing you got right was Eureka getting brainwiped, and that's such a major event that I guess I can understand that being the only thing you remember.
I could have sworn the whole bit with Talho's kid happened earlier in the film's timeline. Then again, I'll admit to blocking out most of the film because of just how bad it is.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

You know Asakim's telling the truth about Ime being unable to even say anything coherent even before he says it. Check his response to attacks, a bunch of numbers. Absolutely nonsensical. The Spheres' side-effects are really, really bad. Power at a price, I guess.
It becomes truly horrifying when you realize what those numbers and random gibberish are supposed to represent: Aim's truthful responses to getting beat up by your units. All of that gibberish? They are supposed to represent Aim in pain, fear, and anger at your forces. Every one of those gibberish lines is one person doing everything possible to desperately say the truth, but he can't thanks to his Sphere. Aim is probably one of the most explicit examples in any fiction of what you said: power at a price. And yet, Aim's price was something that we wouldn't normally consider being a price in this kind of situation.

That said, I do like how they maintained a consistent motif with Aim, right down to his theme sounding the exact opposite of how Aim behaves.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Mikl posted:

>...now, that would be a different story.

Because no one has voted for this yet and I love being contrary :colbert:
Also putting in my vote for this option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

So, Caphi...you're not going to cover the teasers for Z2.2's prologue stages in this game, I take it?

• Locked thread